• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attention Watch Experts....

I'm no expert but I am considering TAG Grand Carrera 36RS2 any thoughts or have you considered these synth19?

Yes, definitely on my short list as well... which is updated. I didn't add it originally as I was leaning toward the Carrera, not the Grand....

Rolex- Submariner (Steel with black face)
TAG Heuer- Aquaracer
TAG Heuer- Carrera
Omega-Planet Ocean
Breitling- Superocean
Panerai- Luminor Marina
Baume & Mercier- Riviera
Breitling- Blackbird
Rolex- Explorer
TAG Heuer- Grand Carrera

How is the entire purchasing process like? Is there room to negotiate/haggle on prices? I know DocL mentioned some prices, but when looking up the sub, I'm seeing the cheapest price to be about a grand more for new.

When I would buy watches from my AD, they would automatically take 20-25% off the price.
I don't buy new anymore. I think watches have become a bit overpriced over the last few years. I buy used from sites like timezone.com and breitlingsource.com. Easily save 50%+ on watches that are pratically like new.

Here's a few of mine:
Actually thinking of selling this first one:
breit.jpg

breit2.jpg

breit4.jpg

breit3.jpg

breit5.jpg

shellman.jpg

tutima.jpg

tag.jpg

How is the entire purchasing process like? Is there room to negotiate/haggle on prices? I know DocL mentioned some prices, but when looking up the sub, I'm seeing the cheapest price to be about a grand more for new.

There is always haggle room when purchasing jewelry. Always.

Just like furniture, cars and firearms (and other stuff I'm sure) you never pay the price listed on the merchandise. I hate playing the game, but I'm also not going to pay more just because I don't like the game either.....

Last edited:
I personally never understood the facination with the rolex submariner. It looks pretty boring and they all look the same.

I personally never understood the facination with the rolex submariner. It looks pretty boring and they all look the same.

Exactly! And at that cost, why not look at a pre-owned Audemars for style, re-sale and performance. :cool:

Exactly! And at that cost, why not look at a pre-owned Audemars for style, re-sale and performance. :cool:

Because your average person isn't going to know what an Audemars, Franck Muller, JLC, Parmigiani, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin, or Vacheron Constantin watch looks like. If they look at your watch, they probably wouldn't know it from a Fossil. For some people, when spending over $5K for a watch, they do want someone to notice and recognize their watch. As with any piece of jewelry, which is what luxury watches really are, there is an aspect of "showing off of wealth" and it's hard to do that when the average person does not know the value of your watch. However, a Rolex, being so recognizable, can instantly tell someone how much you spent; not much different than wearing diamonds or a name brand shirt. It really depends of if you want to play it cool and fly under the radar and wear a watch where only hard core enthusiasts have appreciation for, or you want to have broader appeal by wearing a more recognizable name brand.

Also, while not the most beautiful watch by far, it does have a very timeless look that will probably never go out of style. It's like a classic pair of jeans in a very standard wash, standard fit, standard cut. While fads come and go, and it will never be the most impressive, it will be the one thing in your closet that you can always keep as a good old standby.

Also, while not the most beautiful watch by far, it does have a very timeless look that will probably never go out of style. It's like a classic pair of jeans in a very standard wash, standard fit, standard cut. While fads come and go, and it will never be the most impressive, it will be the one thing in your closet that you can always keep as a good old standby.

I agree 100%.

It's like a classic pair of jeans in a very standard wash, standard fit, standard cut. While fads come and go, and it will never be the most impressive, it will be the one thing in your closet that you can always keep as a good old standby.

I am a watch junkie as well and that's exactly how I feel about my Omega Seamaster Coaxial and Planet Ocean. I have purchased several replacement straps for the Planet Ocean so that I can change the "look" periodically from steel to rubber to leather depending on the occasion.

My father's Omega Railmaster Aquaterra also has a classic quality about it and perhaps one day I might buy one for myself... once my watch embargo is lifted by my wife.

As with the others I'm not a big fan of Rolexes and find that there are so many other companies out there from whom I'd rather purchase.

That being said I do own a Submariner "homage" from a much less expensive brand with an automatic movement that i wear as a "beater" when I'm doing yardwork or projects around the house.

I absolutely love my Black Face Bulgari Asioma Chronograph in Rose Gold. They make 199 annually, with slight changes between years. They are so unique, my friends with Rolex and Panarai drool.:cool:

I don't like to have what everyone else has.:biggrin:

I only paid $14k for it. I think it looks much better than a Ulysse Nardin that I was looking at for $24k.

If that is too much, consider a Bulgari Bulgari in 41mm. I get alot of comments on that watch as well. It has a gold bezel, and 2 toned bracelet, gold/stainless. Very cool alternative as well.

I haven't seen a Chronograph made for the Assioma this year though.

Bulgari is very classic, and rather rare, depending on the watch you choose.

Last edited:
When I would buy watches from my AD, they would automatically take 20-25% off the price.
I don't buy new anymore. I think watches have become a bit overpriced over the last few years. I buy used from sites like timezone.com and breitlingsource.com. Easily save 50%+ on watches that are pratically like new.

Here's a few of mine:
Actually thinking of selling this first one:
breit.jpg

breit2.jpg

breit4.jpg

breit3.jpg

breit5.jpg

shellman.jpg

tutima.jpg

tag.jpg

2 questions??
whats AD?
where can I purchase a Rolex Submariner at an acceptable price?
thanks in advance

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep all of your watches wound? Is it a time thing? (no pun intended) I don't use watch winders and I let all of my watches wind down. Yes I have to wind and set them each time I pick them up but I find that part really therapeutic and enjoyable. I spoke to several watch experts and none of them said it was a problem to let watches wind down. In fact, they warned that bad watch winders can do more damage than good.

Some watch "experts" believe that if left unwound for extended periods of time that the "oils" contained within the movements can harden/congeal.

I have looked into this exact dilemma as I have a mountain of automatic watches and only a handful of winders.

However, going through the owners manuals of several Swiss watches and movement manufacturers it would appear that this belief is not in the majority.

I love the above mentioned watches, but I tend to veer away from the in-fashion names like the Breitlings, Panerais, and especially Rolexes. Get something not so predictable such as I.W.C.'s aquatimer or the Pilot's watch, a Constantin Vacheron, a Glaschutte (German), Pierre Kuntz in rose gold, or a Franc Muller or a Zenith. Check out Chong Hing jewelers and get an idea as to what they carry. Some high end pieces are of names you probably don't hear of too often. Get yourself a magazine on high-end watches and you'll see and learn what it's all about!

Forgot to mention Hublot's Big Bang--my all-time favorite--industrial, sleek, and super cool--especially with the Rubber band! And don't forget to get the watches in at least a 45mm--47mm. diameter.

I have a tag carrera and 2 rolex datejusts. The tags more appealing, but if something breaks it costs an arm and a leg. One night I was taking my jacket off and it snagged one of the buttons on the crown and it broke off, and it cost me 600. To fix and then a month later the other button falls off, and I didn't recall it getting snagged on something, or dropped. I was pissed. Wasn't covered by the warranty. My first rolex was givin to me by my father and that watch is from 1969. I remember playing with it when I was a little kid and dropped it a few times, to this day that watch works great. It has never been serviced. It still to this day works without a glitch. I have a newer rolex 2tone datejust with white dial beautiful watch, with original box and certified back in 98, I believe its was made 87+ if anyones interested let me know, I don't need 2 watchs. Rolex is the way to go. Not only do u pay for the name but u pay for the quality.

white face vs. black face- What is considered more traditional (if at all)? I prefer black, but don't want something that will look out-of-date in a few years.

I'm not reading this entire thread, but I just recently decided on a Raymond Weil. Automatic movement, black face, simple, elegant, professional, and age appropriate.

http://www.raymond-weil.com/

Look at the series with bracelet style, not leather bands. The one I purchased was from the Freelancer collection.

Rolex IMO, has a 1980's dated look. I just don't care for them.

Example:
Product_EN_1205_collection_view.png

Last edited:
Because your average person isn't going to know what an Audemars, Franck Muller, JLC, Parmigiani, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin, or Vacheron Constantin watch looks like. If they look at your watch, they probably wouldn't know it from a Fossil. For some people, when spending over $5K for a watch, they do want someone to notice and recognize their watch. As with any piece of jewelry, which is what luxury watches really are, there is an aspect of "showing off of wealth" and it's hard to do that when the average person does not know the value of your watch. However, a Rolex, being so recognizable, can instantly tell someone how much you spent; not much different than wearing diamonds or a name brand shirt. It really depends of if you want to play it cool and fly under the radar and wear a watch where only hard core enthusiasts have appreciation for, or you want to have broader appeal by wearing a more recognizable name brand.

"Well said!"

"Well said!"

A bit OT, I guess I disagree a bit. I'm from a different camp. I don't buy anything to "show off my wealth." I buy stuff because I want it or like it. I don't give a rats arse what other people think about it. Heck, if I wanted to impress other people I would have bought a 430 or a Vanquish S instead of the NSX. However, neither one is what I wanted and most of the time I wish the NSX didn't get as much attention as it does.

Anyway, I'm just from a different school of thought, I'd rather people DIDN'T know how much money we spend than vice versa.

Back On Topic.

Just when I was ready to purchase a PO, I discover this version. I am reading rumors that the "liquidmetal" technology will be introduced into future versions of the PO. The regular PO is a good value IMO, however, this limited edition model is about 2x as much. If the rumors that future (non-limited PO's) will have the liquidmetal improvements, it makes sense to wait. Question is, when and if......

RS_SE104_LiquidMetal_UNTIL_30April2012.jpg

1948 was the first year the world saw an Omega Seamaster watch, and that is exactly how many pieces are in this limited edition set. Here, Omega is testing out two new technologies for its timepieces: the use of a ceramic compound for its bezel as well as Liquidmetal. The interesting metal material alloy is uniquely malleable, very strong and perfectly used here to have metal inside the otherwise black ceramic filled rotating diver’s bezel. The result is a new level of quality appearance and durability for the bezel, improving an otherwise already fantastic, highly in-demand timepiece.

Aside from being a limited edition and having the upgraded bezel, this watch shares almost everything else with Omega’s other extremely popular Seamaster Planet Ocean watches that contain the Calibre 2500 Co-axial automatic mechanical COSC Chronometer certified movement. The steel case and bracelet are also the same classic dimensions, with the watch being 42mm wide and the bracelet 22mm wide.

This timepiece is heavily in demand, the world over, because of its combination of a few key desirable traits. Among them is the fact that it is a capable and dependable diver’s watch with 2000 feet of water resistance, as well as having an attractive and functional dial that Omega is well-known for. These limited edition men's watches will also be the first to have the distinctly durable, yet good-looking and practical, rotating diver’s bezel in the deep ceramic black (perfectly matches the watch dial) with inset metal minute indicators.

You might ask why having a ceramic and Liquidmetal dial is a big deal, or enough of a reason to have a limited edition. Not only will the new bezels be beautiful and highly complex to make, but they also solve a key problem facing dive watches: cosmetic damage to the rotating bezel.

Previous Omega Seamaster watches relied upon bezels made of steel with colored and printed aluminum inserts. Due to the location of the bezel on the watch, they are prone to contact with other objects that will often easily scratch or wear away at the aluminum. The result of ugly “scars” can mostly be avoided with the ultra scratch-resistance and strength of ceramic and Liquidmetal (which is itself three times stronger than steel). While the new bezel might seem like a small upgrade to the watch, it is an important step in making a great watch even better.

A bit OT, I guess I disagree a bit. I'm from a different camp. I don't buy anything to "show off my wealth." I buy stuff because I want it or like it. I don't give a rats arse what other people think about it. Heck, if I wanted to impress other people I would have bought a 430 or a Vanquish S instead of the NSX. However, neither one is what I wanted and most of the time I wish the NSX didn't get as much attention as it does.

Anyway, I'm just from a different school of thought, I'd rather people DIDN'T know how much money we spend than vice versa.

Back On Topic.

Couldn't agree more. There's one word for people who go out of their way to "show off their wealth", but I won't say it here.

The richest guy I know drives a used car (Honda), wears "regular" clothes and lives in a "regular" house (and wears a Casio that I gave him as a gift).

Just when I was ready to purchase a PO, I discover this version. I am reading rumors that the "liquidmetal" technology will be introduced into future versions of the PO. The regular PO is a good value IMO, however, this limited edition model is about 2x as much. If the rumors that future (non-limited PO's) will have the liquidmetal improvements, it makes sense to wait. Question is, when and if......

And, once again...the "original" Seamaster 300:

watchco-omega-seamaster-sm-300-nos.jpg

Back