• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attention Watch Experts....

"Modern" Classic...Marathon SAR:

marathon_sar_wrist1.jpg

If you don't have to get a watch immediately, I would highly recommend joining the NAWCC (National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors)...I think annual dues are $50. Then, attend one of the regional shows near you or travel to Overland Park, KS for the "national". Go with a wad of cash in your pocket. At the national, you will see watches of every era, shape, size, budget for as far as they eye can see. I'm sure a lot of dealers are hungry right now and would be more than eager to make a cash deal at one of the shows:

http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/regionals

Some of the regional shows are pretty big, too, but the national will make you nuts trying to decide which watch to buy. (Imagine going to an NSX show and there is one car in every color/year available for sale, with everyone begging you to buy theirs).

Last edited:
Synth.. did you look at the RW I posted and link? I really think those would be your style.

I dont consider myself an expert but I am an avid watch collector.

Currently in my collection

2 Breitlings (B2 and a Colt)
5 Raymond Weils (2 Parsifal auto, Don Giovanni Chrono, Tango and Toccata.
2 Rolex Date Justs (one two tone/diamond dial and one stainless/white gold)
1 Movado Esperanza
1 Baume & Mercier Hampton
1 Charriol Columbus (diamond bezel)
2 ESQ's (wedding party gifts)
1 Ebel Sportswave Chrono
1 Cartier Roadster Chrono

Personally, I wouldnt buy a Movado. Most watch enthusiasts dont get Movados (they are old and not very up to date) I always recommend Raymond Weil Watches as they are some of my favorite. fairly priced and always getting looks and are classy.

an online site that seems to have some good deals is "ashford.com" i have seen a lot of good deals from them. Though I buy most of my watches from Tourneau near my house.

Breitlings are good and sporty, I love my B2. Definitely suggest one if your budget allows.

Last edited:
Raymond Weil Geneve, watchmakers since...1976 :confused:

Patek Philippe, watchmakers since 1839...

Patek Aquanaut:

PP3712-1A01.jpg

Blancpain, watchmakers since 1735...

The "new" Blancpain Fifty Fathoms GMT:

02.083_1.jpg

And the original Fifty Fathoms:

mbpfff00.jpg

Last edited:
And, of course, you can't spell "class" without IWC (founded by (gasp) an American in Schaffhausen Switzerland, 1868):

iwc_aquatimer_galapagos.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I am considering TAG Grand Carrera 36RS2 any thoughts or have you considered these synth19?

I once have Tag Heaur F1. I mistakenly left it in the glove compartment when I went to gym. The watch cannot stand heat that much and the rubber creep over the years. If you ever consider one go for something more solid. I still plan to revive the watch again when I come back.

check out timelyclassics.com
I bought my first quality watch (a 1942 Oyster Essex that I wear daily) from him, great to deal with, prompt and very fair prices. He has some really neat early-mid century watches.

Raymond Weil Geneve, watchmakers since...1976 :confused:

Patek Philippe, watchmakers since 1839...

and what difference does that really make? Both brands come with a 2-year warranty. You're also comparing a $2,000 watch to ones that are typically $25-40k.

Last edited:
Breitling Super Avenger Black Steel, 49 mm

Don't let the big wrist fool ya, this is a pretty big watch.

afcyt0.jpg

Last edited:
and what difference does that really make? Both brands come with a 2-year warranty. You're also comparing a $2,000 watch to ones that are typically $25-40k.

Because I want to know a company is going to be around come time for repairs...minimum recommendation is 100 years. Any newer than that and forget it.

Couldn't agree more. There's one word for people who go out of their way to "show off their wealth", but I won't say it here.

The richest guy I know drives a used car (Honda), wears "regular" clothes and lives in a "regular" house (and wears a Casio that I gave him as a gift).

+1

I personally wear a "cheap" watch compared to these multi-thousands dollars watches you guys are talking about but I can say I feel this "cheap" watch looks good and tells time well enough. Even if it's not a great 1K+ watch I'm getting complimented by regular folks so it must not be that bad lol.

Either way I guess there is nothing wrong with getting an expensive "nice" watch since it seems like it's money well spent most of the time.

Hey, that looks familiar :wink:

I seriously need to upgrade arm bands though, the rubber yanks out all my hairs!

Yeah, I believe the rubber straps are designed to grip the outside of a wetsuit. Although it looks painful, they're not...try one of the German made mesh bracelets...search Google for "Jurgen" Germany mesh watch bands:

REG-MB18-005DB.jpg

Because I want to know a company is going to be around come time for repairs...minimum recommendation is 100 years. Any newer than that and forget it.

Raymond Weil is a company that is not going anywhere - you've lost your mind if you're going to disqualify one of the finest watch manufacturers for that reason.

Honda was founded in 1948 and Acura was introduced in 1986, so why do you even own a NSX?? Far from 100 years old.

I have been researching watches for the past month or so. Decided I needed a legit watch. Most of the watches I had to date have been crap ("designer" brands like Kenneth Cole, or your budget "trendy" Fossil, etc). Looking at either Omega, Tag, or possibly a used Panerai with docs. Hmmm.... maybe I'll REALLY step it up and get a new Panerai. Obviously my budet is all over the place here! I want something that will last for years and maintain it's value. Any other suggestions? Also, I have a general question on Movado- I was looking at Movado recently, specifically the 800 series. After checking various watch forums and reading up on people's opinions on Movado, the general opinion from various watch 'experts' tend to look down on this brand. Why is this? I always thought it was a good brand, or at least it has commercial recognition. Thoughts?

I am NOT rich and although I do not wear the Movado watch much...it is affordable enough to wear as a daily!
So picking a daily wear watch will depend on your budget,IMO!
My Movado has been flawless...and I have had it for over 6 years!Haven't even replaced the battery!
I also had a Panerai 000 logo......
No bells,no whistles just a damn fine looking watch!
I sold due to the fact that I do not wear it BUT regret it!

Panerai...well what can I say...it IS a Panerai,AWESOME watch!
The Movado has NEVER let me done and although NOT in the same league as a Panerai BUT still a great choice!

DSCF1536.jpg

Last edited:
Not to change the subject but how about a 500-2,000.00 range? I have small wrists, I thought the Seiko upper nend kinetics are pretty cool. Even saw weird brands like Nixon's that look cool as well. Any ideas? or should this be a diff thread? thks Looking for a more modern everyday useable watch..........

If you want something different and made/designed in USA with outstanding quality, check out http://rgmwatches.com/. They do some serious complications & can make custom design/s to your spec. If you're interested in top quality, refurbished vintage Omega/s, try http://www.uhrmageriet.dk/vintage_ure/.

Quality Swiss watches with inhouse movements can be expensive. A few years ago, I was lucky to buy my Minerva manual wind dress watch (with an inhouse, Cal 49 movement) but I'm not sure they make them anymore. Good Luck.

min-4.jpg

min-5.jpg

min-8.jpg

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to watches...to me, a watch is not just a watch, but an engineering marvel...hundreds of tiny, precise parts working in unison...to keep time. As such, my brand of choice is Blancpain, who has been making mechanical/automatic watches since the 1700's. They are one of the few brands that did not jump on the bandwagon to make quartz watches when it was all the rage....they stuck to their guns and stayed true to their roots. If you're looking for something more than a watch...my vote goes to Blancpain.

Wow, tons of knowledgeable posts here. My budget is somewhat flexible, but I'd like to keep it under 5k if possible. Here is my short list. Although the Panerai is listed, probably a reach...

Rolex- Submariner (Steel with black face)
TAG Heuer- Aquaracer
TAG Heuer- Carrera
Omega-Planet Ocean

Rolex is one of my favs, but I'm not 100% sure if I want a "Rolex." I would rather have a watch that doesn't scream "Yep, it's a rolex." But I really do like it!

Sorry I'm late to this thread...

It's funny, we have almost the same taste in a lot of stuff I bet.

I have these and a few others - my daily is a Rolex GMT master II (ceramic "m" serial) - what amazes me is that even in a harsh environment after two years it has not a single scratch to the bezel or crystal.

I also have more than one TAG and while I will always love them (I still have my grad gift which is a tag 2000 two tone white face) the older tag two tones were wrapped gold and they are soft metal and easily scratched - but even the steel ones since I also have the F1 alarm and after two weeks the stainless bezel was so scratched I had it repolished and hardy wear it now.

I also have the movado tungsten and it is fabulous to look at but unfortunately I bought it before the automatic version came out so it's quartz (which is fine for a sub $2000 watch but not for something that is supposed to be "exclusive" - and that's just my opinion)

I am also worried about the convex crystal on the Omega - again I love it but only special occasions.

P.S. if you want to stay low key, stick to all stainless as opposed to two tone - hardly anyone even looks at my GMT.

Last edited:
I love watches, simply (as stated a few posts above) because they are an engineering marvel...so much style, technology and craftsmanship poured into an obsolete device for the simple task of telling time...marvelous!

I am not a hardcore collector or someone who gets off on all the little details of timepieces. I know what I like and buy it. I'm a plain consumer. My current small collection consists of an old school Omega Seamaster which I bought on a trip to Japan in a used jewellery store with my wife because it came in a his/her set. No idea the model number but its too small looking for my wrist so I don't wear it anymore. I have another Omega Seamaster James Bond watch, Omega Speedmaster moon watch, Panerai PAM 111, a classic two tone gold/stainless Rolex Datejust and a Bell and Ross BR01.

I get a lot of blood and guts on me daily from work so I have a couple of plain "daily driver" watch too: Casio G-shock stainless and a Casio stainless Edifice. Both bought on Ebay for $65-ish.

My wife is afraid of me getting too involved with watches because she witnessed firsthand what NSX enthusiasm did to me :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back