• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

beekeeping - cover me, i'm going in...

Very interesting!

How do you tell the Queen from the rest...does she wear a tiny crown? :wink:

Is it true only the females can sting???
yes, she does! oh, no, that's not it: she's got a big ass... and that's only part of it.

the queen is actually the largest / longest bee in the european honey bee colony, though drones tend to be broader / stouter (more stout?). (interestingly enough - at least to me - the colony can "make" an emergency queen if something happens to their own queen... like, say, they kill her for being unproductive. tough crowd.)

males / drones do not have stingers - they're only around to be fed and have sex with the queen.

sound like a good gig? yeah, it did to me too until i learned that as the honey flow stops - and the queen slows down her egg production to survive the winter months - the colony physically ejects each and every drone.

buh-bye, good luck and you've only got 27 days to live anyway.

like i said, tough crowd.

beekeeping for dummies is an excellent resource / guide for newbies like me :)

y
males / drones do not have stingers - they're only around to be fed and have sex with the queen.

sound like a good gig? yeah, it did to me too until i learned that as the honey flow stops - and the queen slows down her egg production to survive the winter months - the colony physically ejects each and every drone.

Perhaps the most valuable role in the honey bee kingdonm is the soon to be implemented role of the 'Designated Drone'. The Bee God's are following MLB's lead and creating a cushy role for Babe Ruth's of the beecosystem.

Perhaps the most valuable role in the honey bee kingdonm is the soon to be implemented role of the 'Designated Drone'. The Bee God's are following MLB's lead and creating a cushy role for Babe Ruth's of the beecosystem.
yeah, were it so simple! from video i've seen, the mating gig is a frenzy of competition and - here's the bad part - once the drone mates with the queen, he dies.

"Oh, beehive, baby!"
austin-powers.jpg

The're so cute...

<object width="850" height="480" ><param name="movie" value="http://photos.dejoie.net/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NjU0OTk1ODgyJms9cGQ1VEwmYT05NjkxMzM4X3M5V1U0JnU9YWRlam9pZQ==" /><embed src="http://photos.dejoie.net/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjU0OTk1ODgyJms9cGQ1VEwmYT05NjkxMzM4X3M5V1U0JnU9YWRlam9pZQ==" width="425" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

The're so cute...

<object width="850" height="480" ><param name="movie" value="http://photos.dejoie.net/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NjU0OTk1ODgyJms9cGQ1VEwmYT05NjkxMzM4X3M5V1U0JnU9YWRlam9pZQ==" /><embed src="http://photos.dejoie.net/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjU0OTk1ODgyJms9cGQ1VEwmYT05NjkxMzM4X3M5V1U0JnU9YWRlam9pZQ==" width="425" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
nice vid... a very active colony working over those plants.

for the past couple of weeks our area appears to be in a pretty good honey flow... i've been seeing bees working in areas / plants i usually don't see them. i assume they're loading up for winter.

i'm heading out now to do my weekly hive inspection - it'll be interesting to see how the flow / capping has occurred since last weeks.

cover me, i'm going in :)

thx again for the video, nice to see them working.

here's a photo of the "medium" frames of spring honey i robbed, er, harvested from freddie a month or two back. this honey is very light colored and flows / pours easily... not unlike what you'd buy in the store except it hasn't been processed in any way. (the harvest of a week ago is so thick it scoops out of the jar. extraordinarily delicious.)

Attachments

• freddie_honeyframes.jpg
    freddie_honeyframes.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 65
Beekeeping - not all fun and games!

-Josh

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090928/ap_on_re_eu/eu_turkey_bee_attack

Crash scene overwhelmed by bees in Turkey
AP

By SUZAN FRASER, Associated Press Writer Suzan Fraser, Associated Press Writer – 21 mins ago

ANKARA, Turkey – A van carrying beehives crashed into a truck on Monday, and huge swarms of bees broke free and stung the injured and rescue workers at the scene.

In the end, about 20 people were taken to hospitals, six of them injured in the crash and the rest rescue workers who were stung by the bees, said the state-run Anatolia news agency.

One of the crash victims later died, but it was not immediately known if he had been killed by the impact of the accident or the insect attacks, said local Gov. Ahmet Altinparmak.

The rescue workers — including local beekeepers summoned to the scene — used hoses, blankets and rags to try to ward off the bees. But it took about an hour for them to remove the crash victims from the chaotic scene, Anatolia said.

The van hit the stationary truck on a road near the Mediterranean resort of Marmaris in southwestern Turkey, injuring four people in the van and two in the truck, Anatolia said. The impact burst open the bee hives in the van.

The bees swarmed over the injured and police, medics and firefighters who responded to the accident, forcing authorities to seek the help of about 50 beekeepers in the area.

As the crash victims waited for help, bees swarmed over them, Anatolia said.

The news agency's video footage showed men in beekeeping clothing placing an injured man — also in protective gear — onto a stretcher in a swarm of bees and broken beehives, and carrying him down a hillside.

Another person was seen hosing down the area to keep the bees away.

Anatolia showed rescuers in orange-colored overalls inside a vehicle, trying to kill the bees by squashing them against windows, using a blanket and rags.

Gov. Atlinparmak said some of the injured were in serious condition.

In a similar accident in 2006, bees repeatedly stung the two drivers of a truck that carried beehives and overturned on a road in central Turkey. Police, firefighters and journalists who rushed to the scene also were attacked.

great point, josh.

when properly provoked / encouraged, they've gotta do what they've gotta do... and that is protect the queen / colony @ all costs. (except the drones, of course, they've just gotta be fed continuously in the hope they'll have life-ending sex with their queen. ;)

Is that why I'm always hungry? This explains so much.....

the food is free and the sex to die for, so be careful what you wish for :)[/QUOTE

That almost sounds like a proposition. I was talking about the bees, you sicko! :tongue:

can't make this stuff up:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DpyY9_9y9Qw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DpyY9_9y9Qw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.helpthehoneybees.com

btw, i expect to harvest another gallon or so of honey tomorrow... should be the last of the season for me, then everyone hunkers down for fall / wintering.

returning home from lunch today, i harvested another 2-3 gallons of honey from the hive known as Freddie. while there appears to be an active honey flow, i expect this to be my last harvest until jan - if then. (eucalyptus trees and a few other things will produce nectar between now and then.)

if you're interested in the technical aspect of this week's inspection / harvest, it appears all hives have sufficient stores of pollen to feed brood through winter. (only brood consume pollen, active bees consume only nectar / honey)

from today's harvest, i'll also get a modest (1/4 lb?) block of pure beeswax that we'll turn in to various balms / salves.

(edit: just saw this - http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/45971)

robotic bees... who knew?!

Last edited:
returning home from lunch today, i harvested another 2-3 gallons of honey from the hive known as Freddie. while there appears to be an active honey flow, i expect this to be my last harvest until jan - if then. (eucalyptus trees and a few other things will produce nectar between now and then.)

if you're interested in the technical aspect of this week's inspection / harvest, it appears all hives have sufficient stores of pollen to feed brood through winter. (only brood consume pollen, active bees consume only nectar / honey)

from today's harvest, i'll also get a modest (1/4 lb?) block of pure beeswax that we'll turn in to various balms / salves.

(edit: just saw this - http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/45971)

robotic bees... who knew?!

I'm interested to know (1) Why do you name your hives? (2) Where did you get the name "Freddie?", (3) Are all of the bees in that hive named Freddie, (even girl bees) and (4) What are the names of your other hives?

If you have a hive that doesn't have a name, could you name it "Doug?"

My second choice would be "Ralph", third "Bob" and fourth "Ken."

Thank you in advance for these insights into bee keeping.

I'll bee looking forward to your answers and bee careful out there.

Last edited:
I'm interested to know (1) Why do you name your hives? (2) Where did you get the name "Freddie?", (3) Are all of the bees in that hive named Freddie, (even girl bees) and (4) What are the names of your other hives?

If you have a hive that doesn't have a name, could you name it "Doug?"

My second choice would be "Ralph", third "Bob" and fourth "Ken."

Thank you in advance for these insights into bee keeping.

I'll bee looking forward to your answers and bee careful out there.

Fourth, sheesh. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes:

i've received a few emails asking how the bees are doing this season. in a word, GREAT!

one of my two hives swarmed earlier this season, but the bees who remained behind in that hive have been rebuilding and appear to be well and healthy, with the queen doing a fair job of rebuilding the colony. earlier in the season, i harvested ~5 gallons of honey from this hive (from their brood boxes - they needed room for more egg comb, so relieving them of honey freed up space. everybody's a winner :)

the other hive (a product of two swarms from last year) is doing well, too. the queen has built a very strong colony and the hive is full of fresh larvae and multiple frames of capped brood (which means lots of bees will be emerging soon). earlier this season i harvested ~3.5 gallons of honey from this hive's honey super. two and a half weeks ago i harvested >two gallons (from only five frames) of honey from this hive's honey super and when i reinspected the super last week, each of the frames were just about full and most were capped... which means they're ready to be harvested (again.) with a full (medium) super, i should net ~4.5- 5 gallons of honey and a pound or two of melted wax.

over the past few months i've received several swarms from a friend, so i established a third hive. that hive is doing well and has several "deep" (large) frames of capped honey in its brood box, as well as (the usual) honey / pollen comb surrounding the brood concentrations; i'll inspect again tomorrow, but i may harvest another frame or two from them, as well.

best,
hal

a bit of a season finale harvest update:

it's been a pretty healthy and productive season w/bees and honey in our local area. a professional beek i know (keeps 11 hives @ his home) harvested 168.7 gallons of filtered honey, jarred in quart jars. man, that's a lotta work.

otoh, our 2.5 hives (3, actually, but the 3rd one was created late in the season by combining 3 small swarms) have produced ~ 15 gallons of honey. (rather than capping/extracting the honey, i scrape the comb/honey, then filter it... this means each time i scrape, the bees have to regenerate and rebuild the comb. generally speaking, scraping (vs capping/extracting) is my approach to regulating the amount of hive wooden ware / honey / work i have to deal with. (the bees are the workers, not me)

anyway, on friday i harvested / filtered / jarred 3 gallons of honey... i expect this to be the final harvest of this year and hope to harvest honey in late dec / jan when eucalyptus trees are flowing and the bees begin storing again.

here's a pic of our latest harvest, labeled "2010 Season Finale". If you're interested, click the pic to enlarge it and you can see the difference in honey coloring... we've got a nice variety of light, medium and dark... each with a slightly different viscosity and flavor. the differences in honey are attributed to source of nectar gathered, comb nectar was stored in (freshly drawn or older or "brood box" comb, and age / moisture content. i tested each batch with a calibrated honey refractometer and found moisture content to be 16.25%... a nice, "dry" honey, if you will :)

Attachments

• 2010seasonfinalehoney.jpg
    2010seasonfinalehoney.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back