• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best year NA1

I was actually recently looking at a 1996 Coupe with very low milage.
Unfortunately, the seller is asking a very high price for the car and was not willing to come down, even though the car has been for sale for almost a year now.

In Europe, I believe there were 1995 Coupes available also, and they are pretty much identical to the 1996, if I'm not mistaken.

I did know about this, but I have never heard anyone state that it REALLY makes a noticeable difference in real life driving.

Putting a 100lb kid in the passengers seat won't make a 1991-1994 feel slower either, in real life.:wink:

I've dozens of NSX's of various vintages. Some were tug boats and some were rockets.

Folks need to leave the magazine and the spec sheet behind, climb in and drive to see how a particular car feels.

As they have aged and passed through a few hands the NSX can change.

I drove one customer's 1996 red/tan this year and it was a rocket. Faster and tighter than the last three 1991-1994's I had driven. It was a nice car with just a Comptech exhaust. The trans, engine, brakes were all stock and felt in another league compared to many others I had driven including some that were newer.

Last edited:
@pbassjo:
One question about the 96 rocket: Did it have stock wheels with 245/40/17 or so? These ARE rockets compared to all others with bigger rims. :)

I think people get way too worked up about the 100 extra lbs in the 95/96. Unless you are Vin Diesel and live your life a quarter mile at a time it really makes little to no difference. I personally would still want a targa even if it was 250lbs heavier. Not many NSX-T owners bought their cars because they couldn't afford a 91-94. They are very different cars, being able to take the top off transforms the car and driving experience. Now if you want a track car, go 91-94.

Last edited:
I dont want just a track car, but I want a Track/Auto-X/Weekend fun car. If the targa doesnt really hurt the handling I will look at thoes ive found a couple of cars in the 25-30 thousand dollar range.

I think people get way too worked up about the 100 extra lbs in the 95/96. Unless you are Vin Diesel and live your life a quarter mile at a time it really makes little to no difference. I personally would still want a targa even if it was 250lbs heavier. Not many NSX-T owners bought their cars because they couldn't afford a 91-94. They are very different cars, being able to take the top off transforms the car and driving experience. Now if you want a track car, go 91-94.

well said.a full convertible adds at least 250 lbs.a targa is a great way to open up the roof w/less weight gain and more stiffness.

well said.a full convertible adds at least 250 lbs.a targa is a great way to open up the roof w/less weight gain and more stiffness.

I've had a great improvement in chassis stiffness by adding front and rear STMPO chassis bars to my 95. ...and I still get the benefit of popping the top to complete the sensory experience...I wouldn't overlook it. T. :wink:

From the FAQ/WIKI

Changes for the 1995:
Throttle-By-Wire
OBD-II
Changed gearing of 2nd gear in Manual Transmission
Modified airflow to brakes to improve cooling
Approx. 100 lbs heaver than 1991/1992

This one is always overlooked,

Limited Slip Differential Changes on manual transmission cars. Went from Torque Control Ddifferential to a Torque Reactive Differential - when combined with Throttle-By-Wire, increases speeds out of a corner by 10%.

I liked everything, about the improvements, but don't care for the OBD-II and extra weight.

Something that I noticed about the 91-92 NSX is the glove box has more space due to no airbag for the passenger. I like that.

Does the passenger airbag reach the passenger (aka- do anything) if the seat is slide all the way back?

On a hot summer night the roof off is nice, but the 4 NSX Targs that i have been in all seemed to have more chassis flex than the hard top models.

2 of them have squeaking/tweeks/rattles/shuddering over our crappy californian roads.

In the RX7 that sound was tolerable since it wasn't known for it's fit and finish, but I hold Acura, esp. the NSX to a higher standard (given it's name and price point).

Some don't want the top off.....it blows off their toupees!

Seriously though, I'm not a top off kinda guy....I just don't like all that wind noise....or the sun beating down on me. Just me though. If mine were a targa (and I could have bought one so it isn't always a cost issue "Not many NSX-T owners bought their cars because they couldn't afford a 91-94.") I can pretty much guarantee you I'd never take the top off.

Just like the sunroofs in my car, truck AND van have probably only been opened a maximum of three times each (all were purchased new)....and that is just to make sure they work properly, not to actually use them.

So there are some that do not covet nor do they actually care if the car has a targa top. My only problem is that if I want a newer car, tying to actually find one of the rare 95+ coupes will be difficult.

Just me though.

Some don't want the top off.....it blows off their toupees!

Seriously though, I'm not a top off kinda guy....I just don't like all that wind noise....or the sun beating down on me. Just me though. If mine were a targa (and I could have bought one so it isn't always a cost issue "Not many NSX-T owners bought their cars because they couldn't afford a 91-94.") I can pretty much guarantee you I'd never take the top off.

Just like the sunroofs in my car, truck AND van have probably only been opened a maximum of three times each (all were purchased new)....and that is just to make sure they work properly, not to actually use them.

So there are some that do not covet nor do they actually care if the car has a targa top. My only problem is that if I want a newer car, tying to actually find one of the rare 95+ coupes will be difficult.

Just me though.

I completley agree that my logic does not work in reverse. Many 91-94 owners are purists that do not value the targa. I am not chasing down seconds at the track so the targa is a must for me. I have had one car or another with a Targa for the past 10 years and now I could not live without it. Now sun roofs are a different story as I have 3 cars currently with sunroofs and never open them.

Batman, I am sure the Targa's are not as tight as the coupes. Having owned and driven many targa cars, the NSX is the best I have experienced interms of wiggle as the chassis is amazinging ridgid. A small price to play for the Targa IMHO.

.....Batman, I am sure the Targa's are not as tight as the coupes. Having owned and driven many targa cars, the NSX is the best I have experienced interms of wiggle as the chassis is amazinging ridgid. A small price to play for the Targa IMHO.

I agree that for a Targa, the NSX holds a pretty dam high standard.

But the targa and that power steering just makes the NSX feel more loose and not as connected.

Maybe I'm a bit tough on the bext car from the best car maker........

I agree that for a Targa, the NSX holds a pretty dam high standard.

But the targa and that power steering just makes the NSX feel more loose and not as connected.

Maybe I'm a bit tough on the bext car from the best car maker........

How does the not connected feel compaired to a new accord or somthing like that. Im not a fan of how the new accords feel when you drive them and im not looking for that.

How does the not connected feel compaired to a new accord or somthing like that. Im not a fan of how the new accords feel when you drive them and im not looking for that.

Wow, are you comparing the NSX to the Accord? Have you driven a NSX? I only wanted power stearing due to my parking situation. But ask any 91-94 guy, PS sucks. :rolleyes:

After digging a bit more, it's going to be a tossup between 1994 and 1996, depending on whether you prefer power or manual steering. While I prefer the manual steering of the 1994, I think I might sacrifice the manual steering to get the stiffer chassis reinforcements of the 1996.

But the reinforcements were done because of the Targa top, so you have a heavier car with the same engine and less rigidity.

I would agree with the others and say 94, but I wouldn't rule out the other NA1's because of it.

Well, so, lets say targa is bad, heavy, less connected to the road, OK, then when you are shopping for a NSX drive a Na1 coupe -lighter, more connected, more rigid- FIRST, then test drive an Na2 "Targa" .......

THEN YOU TELL US WHAT YOU THINK :biggrin:

OScar

Whatever chassis reinforcements were put on the NSX-T is not suffice.

I still feel flex and bending in the chassis, which essentially makes the car feel like the wheels are pointing everywhere.

Perhaps the average car driver can't notice it, but I certainly do.

The 2 NSX-T that I have driven just have that rattling, shuddering thing over crap California roads. It doesn't inspire any sense of confidence in handling and safety.

Targa or convertable cars are not as strong (in general).

The outcome of this accident might have been different had it been a "better" NSX model - non-targa.

I doubt when the NSX was first designed that the original chassis was created with a targa in mind. Targas are an "after-thought"

acura-nsx-wrecked-exotic-09.jpg

acura-nsx-wrecked-exotic-06.jpg

acura-nsx-wrecked-exotic-08.jpg

Whatever chassis reinforcements were put on the NSX-T is not suffice.

Yet the driver walked away, not in good shape, but did survive, just like the enzos/ferraris/modern sportscars that separate the driver shell form the rest of the chassis on terrible accidents, I believe there's a reason for that, and is called modern engineering which pretty which means, BYE BYE car, driver more chances to survive, yet, still, people die regardless specially @ high speeds.

Batman, your Na1 is slow even with mods, you are mad b/c of that LOL ...

we all know the pros and cons of coupes vs targa, the ideal setup is the Na2 engine + 6speed + coupe, that is a common knowledge, you are just trying to make some weird points here with this photos and saying that "makes the car feel like the wheels are pointing everywhere" ... sounds like a total nonsense ... unless hat Na2 that you were driving was an unbalanced beat up nsx .. (like some cars people buy that have less HP + the car is rigged, the ones people run away)

Oscar

Boy, I am learning a lot. I wonder what the fastest way to sell my NSX-T is? I am not sure why they made NSX's after 1994 as the car went down hill from there. I hope I can save up enough to buy one of those one day. :rolleyes:

Yet the driver walked away, not in good shape, but did survive, just like the enzos/ferraris/modern sportscars that separate the driver shell form the rest of the chassis on terrible accidents, I believe there's a reason for that, and is called modern engineering which pretty which means, BYE BYE car, driver more chances to survive, yet, still, people die regardless specially @ high speeds.

Batman, your Na1 is slow even with mods, you are mad b/c of that LOL ...

we all know the pros and cons of coupes vs targa, the ideal setup is the Na2 engine + 6speed + coupe, that is a common knowledge, you are just trying to make some weird points here with this photos and saying that "makes the car feel like the wheels are pointing everywhere" ... sounds like a total nonsense ... unless hat Na2 that you were driving was an unbalanced beat up nsx .. (like some cars people buy that have less HP + the car is rigged, the ones people run away)

Oscar

I think the driver crawled, rolled or at best stumbled away.

He had neck injuries.

Walk? No way.

Where is this "driver's shell" in the NSX? I can believe that there are ones for more expensive and exotic cars like the Enzo. But the NSX-t? I doubt it.

First off, a shell needs to be enclosed. A convertible or targa is not a continuous enclosure. Try selling the hermit crab a Targa/convertible shell and how nice it is to have a unobstructed view of the Octopus' beak.

If you find half a shell of a shellfish (targa top/'vert) while strolling on the beach, that means that the "driver" inside is now floating around as octopus excrements.

The 2 NA2 that I drove was:

1997 auto (modified suspension)
2000 M6 - brand new

Both owners agreed with me. We also agreed that the targa is nice for hot summer nights.

I think that the targa off is great for cruising around the unemployment lines.

Yes, the NA1 is slow. Same with the NA2.

How do you compare 6" of engine genitalia to 8" of engine genitalia like the LS2? Ever own or even drive a car with some serious power north of 600?

I'm already in the process of spending $5-6k on redoing the engine to take 1000hp, even though I'm only aiming to bump it's power to weight ratio to that of a Murci SV.

Last edited:
I think the driver crawled, rolled or at best stumbled away.

He had neck injuries.

Walk? No way.

Where is this "driver's shell" in the NSX? I can believe that there are ones for more expensive and exotic cars like the Enzo. But the NSX-t? I doubt it.

First off, a shell needs to be enclosed. A convertible or targa is not a continuous enclosure. Try selling the hermit crab a Targa/convertible shell and how nice it is to have a unobstructed view of the Octopus' beak.

If you find half a shell of a shellfish (targa top/'vert) while strolling on the beach, that means that the "driver" inside is now floating around as octopus excrements.

The 2 NA2 that I drove was:

1997 auto (modified suspension)
2000 M6 - brand new

Both owners agreed with me.

Yes, the NA1 is slow. Same with the NA2.

How do you compare 6" of engine genitalia to 8" of engine genitalia like the LS2? Ever own or even drive a car with some serious power north of 600?

I'm already in the process of spending $5-6k on redoing the engine to take 1000hp, even though I'm only aiming to bump it's power to weight ratio to that of a Murci SV.

Wait a minute are you using a hermit crab as an argument against targa cars? Come on... Really???:eek:

And you think Murci's are fast? I don't know anyone with a fast car that benchmarks against stock exotics. And I have been in a fast car or 2.

Back