• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Questions - odd noise

Guys and Gals,

I have a 92 that has started making a wierd clutch noise. When you push in the Clutch (or release) it sounds like a squeaky barn board from inside the clutch area in the engine bay.

Question:Does this sound like the clutch engagement fork and the Thow out bearing are lacking lube? Q2, I wont be able to get a clutch for at least 2 weeks so will this damage the car driving it infrequently?

1 other question - can a 2003 clutch be easily put on a 92? if so, what modifications are necessary?

Thoughts anyone?

Lucky (KK34)

Last edited:
could be the clutch release mechanism...did you check the clutch mechanism under the pedel?

yep :( no noise coming from the front of the car..

I opened the engine bay and also stuck my head under the car whil my brother worked the clutch - it sounds like a rubber ducky in there :)

KK34

did you check the clutch slave cylinder. as with the pedal and release bearing mechanisms, there are several moving parts, springs, etc. that can make noise. I would check all of them for proper lubrication. I cannot get to me car in the USA as I'm out of the country, but I would think that there is a release bearing inspection plate under the transmission. If so, you may be able to get a visual.

Despite the noise, does the clutch operate OK...ie no slipping?

There is no access except to remove the slave. Not too hard to do. I have been told, but have not had to do it myself, you can carefully relube the throw out bearing, fork, and slave without removal of the trans. There is a thread about it here, do a search.

HTH,
LarryB

Hi...I have heard this same noise ....

Hugh knows how to fix it....ask him...

The Last time we drove down from the Dragon...I heard this noise coming from hughs car....( as I drove behind him most of the way back )

He fixed it very easily....

lucky said:
Guys and Gals,

Can a 2003 clutch be easily put on a 92? if so, what modifications are necessary?

Lucky (KK34)

Is possble, but its not 'easy'. w.o.w., forget that option.

Back