• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Conversion: '02 Targa to COUPE Type-R JH4NA21632T000186

Re: Conversion: '02 Targa to COUPE Type-R (56k warning)

We're discussing here a small benefit from part A and and even smaller one from part B and that guy builds our dream car! Please send this post to Honda and let them know that this is the revenge for not serving us with the Type-R! If you don't serve us we build our own! :D
Big compliment! Post of the year!

Are we in the Matrix ??, this is like watching Neo dodge bullets, just unbelivable. :cool:

Congratulations serialNSXer !!

AC

TTony said:
Why not go with the NSX-R 4.23 gear instead of the OS 4.4?
True, I could have gone that way. My idea is to match the visual features, but actually beat the overall performance specs of the Type-R (I mean really ~290HP?!). Thus, the 4.4 rear with an advanced LSD was the way to go for me. In addition, since my NA intentions can't match the RWHP produced by FI, I've got to look for other ways to add some "scoot" to my ride. Gearing is one way, weight savings is another...
DocL said:
I think you need to put one of these in. It's the future of FI. :biggrin:
The Flux Capacitor!! The automotive catch-all equivalent of duct-tape.

serialNSXer said:
True, I could have gone that way. My idea is to match the visual features, but actually beat the overall performance specs of the Type-R (I mean really ~290HP?!). Thus, the 4.4 rear with an advanced LSD was the way to go for me. In addition, since my NA intentions can't match the RWHP produced by FI, I've got to look for other ways to add some "scoot" to my ride. Gearing is one way, weight savings is another...

I think the 6-speed and 4.44 will be pretty nice. Your crusing RPM won't be near as bad as the 5-speed and 4.55. I would think 4.23 would be a better choice for me because of the OEM quality. Personally, I think the 6-speed is great as is.

Looking at Wheelmans car, I think going with the CTSC and AEM might not be a bad way either. I would probably wait for an aftercooler though living in a hot climate.

DocL said:

Its even got Grey's Sports Almanac 1980-2000
That would have been worth alot of money 6 years ago
:biggrin:

serialNSXer said:

4.4 with 6 speed is awesome. The only downside is the gear whine.

Very, very cool. Nice job and thanks for the write up.

With the amount of type R conversions lately there needs to be an Unofficial Type R thread in the Picture Gallery ;)

GTDyno said:
Anyone try a 92 Type-R conversion??

I was going to do it but alas, I ran out of money. My car is now confused as to whether it wanted to be an NSX-R, or type-S....in the end, it's neither...just another run-of-the-mill '92 coupe. I left some pictures in the unofficial NSX-R thread....but somehow, it feels out of place.

JDMrecords said:
was your blue nsx a right hand drive?
...and...
gtr said:
Did you mirror the picture on the blue NSX :confused:
Congrats gtr, it only took until thread #16 for that to be noticed. Yes, I just flipped the photo of my blue NSX so that all the photos would line up for comparison against each other. Nothing more sinister than that.

DocL said:

tn_August2004%20044.jpg

What is that?

spyderplayer2002 said:
What is that?

serialNSXer said:

The Flux Capacitor, a key component used in time travel according to Doc Brown.

Doc Brown ? this is harder than looking at the flux capacitor :confused:

just in case: He's the crazy doc from "Back to the Future" movie :biggrin:

AC

Any update on the car? Have you decided what to do to the motor yet? And what about some more pictures? :)

OK folks, for the next step in my Type-R project, I am looking for a 3.0L NSX long-block to build. I think I've found one in Florida, but if you know of any others, please ping me.

Edit: With Armando's help, I now have a 3.0L donor motor. Will be shipped to Jon Martin next week.

Last edited:
Super !!!

I think I have to stick to my dreams ...

5608Type-R_project_-_34.jpg

Can somebody with a aluminum TIG ticket comment on this weld?
It doesn't look right to me at all, but I am far from an expert. Perhaps it is just the photo, but it looks like one big puddle instead of a steady bead along the seams. Like somebody tried to build it up and fill in a gap.

I mean no disrepect to the owner, kudos on an amazing project. But that weld on the roof panel has the potential to save or cost somebody their life. I'd just want to know for damn sure that the TIG'ing was done to spec.

95ttht said:
Can somebody with a aluminum TIG ticket comment on this weld? It doesn't look right to me at all, but I am far from an expert. Perhaps it is just the photo, but it looks like one big puddle instead of a steady bead along the seams. Like somebody tried to build it up and fill in a gap.

I mean no disrepect to the owner, kudos on an amazing project. But that weld on the roof panel has the potential to save or cost somebody their life. I'd just want to know for damn sure that the TIG'ing was done to spec.
IT IS A MIG WELD AND THE EXTRA BUILD UP IS TO MAKE UP FOR THE DIFFERENCE IN THE THICKNESS OF THE METAL SO THE CENTER PIECE CAN FIT PROPERLY. -- a direct quote from the builder of the car.

Simply one of the most fantastic pieces of work I have ever seen!!!!

spyderplayer2002 said:
What is that?

Do these pics help? :)

Attachments

• Picture 243.jpg
    Picture 243.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 501
  • Picture 246.jpg
    Picture 246.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 453
  • Picture 247.jpg
    Picture 247.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 447

OneRedNSX said:
...can you tell anymore about that 'process' that you did on the rear wing? I love the idea of it being CF in the sun / light, but blacked out most of the time?

[Anil Sethi writes] I will get a factual answer from John Schreppel — who built the car — and post on this thread.
Another prime member also PM'd me the same question. So here is the answer (in bodyshop "crypto"):

1ST SAND WITH 600 WET APPLY 2 COATS OF CLEAR.. WET SAND 600 ...THEN MIX A MID COAT THATS BLACK MIXED WITH MID COAT CLEAR APPLY 3-5 COATS THEN APPLY 2 COATS OF CLEAR. GLAZURIT MID COAT LIKE A MIX FOR A RED CANDY BUT BLACK OF COARSE ANY GOOD CLEAR

I hope your painter can decipher all this.

Last edited:
Back