• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Conversion: '02 Targa to COUPE Type-R JH4NA21632T000186

Re: Conversion: '02 Targa to COUPE Type-R (56k warning)

Hi Anil,

Yes I saw your car today....I was drooling over your suspension....:biggrin:

Its keeping Jon's car company too hehe. :smile:

Like I said, the car was in South Florida for a while. I drove it, and sent Jon my feedback for final tuning. Then we shipped the car back to the West Coast, but it'll be back home soon. Better performance, with a rock-solid AEM tune. Maybe a wee-bit more zip, even :)

Ah cool...well congrats. I look forward to seeing some numbers! =) Also, I keep hearing about this suspension of yours. Sounds very nice.

Anil,

It was a pleasure to finally meet you at SEMA. Congrats on building one of the sickest NSX's ever. When I grow up I want to be like you. :smile:

Will

Man Anil,
You should get a website going for that beauti of yours and nice house too, post pics of both. Your car should be in all the magazines title should be PERFECTLY BALANCED car you need to drive or the ultimate street NSX's out there or something in that sort; I am sure it will be once you are done with it. It needs to be seen by everyone.....All the time and love that went into it
Anyway I m glad your desi too so now I can say one of us has the sickiest nsx in the world even though its not me lol

WOW...the shop did a great job

Anil, It was a pleasure to finally meet you at SEMA. Congrats on building one of the sickest NSX's ever. When I grow up I want to be like you. :smile: Will
Good to see MJ's Boostzilla in the wild. Pretty cool looking in your ride. If I need more power, I may be calling you for "advice."

Commenting on why I haven't yet and probably won't do a dyno pull...

I was asked recently if I had driven a really tuned turbo NSX and why I didn't go that way as it would have given me better HP/$$. Fair question.

Yes, I drove Armando's turbo-NSX when it was putting out a measly 550HP. OMG. What a freight train. It just pulls and pulls. It takes a moment to make boost, and then its just, plain, gone! With his 700HP tooling around, there is no winning this HP race.

Peak HP is just a single point along a continuum. Whereas the subtle horsepower we went after is a completely different animal. In fact, we're considering lowering the piston compression to allow for more timing on pump gas. So although I lose bragging rights with ultra-high-compression pistons, I gain power and torque across the usable range. And that's the on-going nature of our build process.

Sitting in front of Armando's planet-killer motor, I could always hear the wastegate pop/hiss while bleeding boost, and these noises are very different to the mechanical shriek of an all NA motor. Plus, I wanted to keep the stock look, as it is now. And, as I've maintained, for the street, +/-435HP is p-l-e-n-t-y in a lightened car, with LSD, sticky tires, 4.44 diff, etc... And speaking with tuners before my build, we decided that there are more ways than simply high-HP applications to motivate the NSX to scoot. Specifically, pushing 100% of our 435HP(?) to the ground...HP delivery spread over all the above named systems, as opposed to the engine alone.

Jon recently raced a Skyline R33 in that owner's other great ride...a Jon Martin 3.8L NSX. To everyone's surprise, through 120mph they were dead even. I'm hoping when my RR is delivered, its at least as strong if not a little more so.

My use of the second R is my sarcastic way of jabbing Honda that this is the "R on steroids" they/Mugen should have released...its an R version of the R ;)

Anil,

I know we have never met in person but I just re-read all 5 pages of this thread and realized I actually posted once in here before in 10/2007.

Back then I was still searching for a white 02+ nsx and now I have one almost a year later but I'm still in awe at your dedication, patience, and of course checkbook to complete such a project. Do you have a website or thread where it details more pics of the final completed ride? This is one of those projects that makes all nsx owners proud!

Your attention to detail is amazing - thanks for breaking down each step of the build as it was quite enjoyable to read.

I only found your thread again from your post on the 02-05 white nsx thread and luckily I clicked on your link! :)

regards
rick

Anil,

I know we have never met in person but I just re-read all 5 pages of this thread and realized I actually posted once in here before in 10/2007.

Back then I was still searching for a white 02+ nsx and now I have one almost a year later but I'm still in awe at your dedication, patience, and of course checkbook to complete such a project. Do you have a website or thread where it details more pics of the final completed ride? This is one of those projects that makes all nsx owners proud!

Your attention to detail is amazing - thanks for breaking down each step of the build as it was quite enjoyable to read.

I only found your thread again from your post on the 02-05 white nsx thread and luckily I clicked on your link! :)

regards
rick

I think his car is still in California getting some work done to it. That car cannot have many miles as it always seems to be getting something done from what I have read. Wild car though! I would love to have it, and am equally impressed with his level of detail and dedication.

That's taken me an hour to read that thread (reading age 5+) and it was well worth it!

Great dedication and fantastic car.

I'm glad you didn't knick the UK NSX-R and convert it to LHD as that would have been criminal! When you looked at it I believe it was up for sale for £100,000. That makes your RR cheap at £75,000!

To extend the project you could convert it to RHD and ship it to the UK so I can have a go... or am I missing the point ;)

L*

Last edited:

I think his car is still in California getting some work done to it. That car cannot have many miles as it always seems to be getting something done from what I have read. Wild car though! I would love to have it, and am equally impressed with his level of detail and dedication.

Yes his car is still in LA.....I was helping my friend give it a wash since it needed one as did my car. Those type- r rims are a pain the butt to clean....=p...=).... Car rides very smooth with the JRZ's and the mileage on the car is about 8141 miles.....and no we did not get on the gas. We had it hooked up to the laptop to read the water temp. Took forever to get it to sync with the laptop for some reason the ems said it was not online. Car sounds mean with that engine....its pretty much ready to go.....just waiting for Mitch to get back and finish up some things on the car.

Last edited:

Zang! :( I thought Mitch tuned it last week?

I'm glad you didn't knick the UK NSX-R and convert it to LHD as that would have been criminal! When you looked at it I believe it was up for sale for £100,000. That makes your RR cheap at £75,000!
Hey! For £75,000 I'd be happy to ship it to the UK.

Zang! :( I thought Mitch tuned it last week?

I think it is tuned but there is some minor things that need to be hashed out. Otherwise your car is ready to go.

Jon Martin's Extreme 3.8 is a Monster!

Anil, hope you dont mind

l_4cbaa672588dbb311ff5a13b7a0240fb.jpg

l_30b1dde0a199846e8757620de595f40b.jpg

l_4bfb0c7187583a226ca663564d9afe77.jpg

l_d8b1cef911f65f602c9f220b8c86e5f7.jpg

Haha cool Eric! When did you take that pic? I need to do that too haha :biggrin:

Did you go for a ride in it or in one of the other 3.8L's?

Those cars are freaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkiiiinnnnngggggg fast!!! :eek:

Argh. You guys get to see my ride more than I do.

Erick, look good sitting there, but your pic above was way to dark...

erich.jpg

...that's better. Now we can see you behind those Foster Grants. Curious, how did the seats fit you?

Jon's sourcing for a set of DC headers for me to see if we can tweak more power from mine.

Last edited:

You don't need anymore power Anil!

:tongue::biggrin:

BTW- Your seats are comfortable and the JRZ's ride very smooth. I do not know how fast your car is, but I do know from driving Jon's briefly that it was fast.

I need one of those motors. :cool:

Last edited:

Anil, I drove John Martin's 3.8 today. It was a fun experience. Again, congrat!!!

Good seeing everyone and good to see jon showing his face more.

Thanks to Vance for putting this together and Eric for helping me not get lost. :smile:

See you guys next week.

awesome project...i remember reading the first thread a few years back, waiting for you to move back to the states to write up something about the car's performance...

question though. why would you choose the dc headers over another option, albeit more expensive option, such as a setup like Vance's or Turbo2Go's? i'm sure this has been discussed and am just curious.

also, now that the 2000 white/tan coupe that was for sale in the NE (the only white NA2 coupe ever produced for the US market), which was for sale not too long ago, surfaced again at a legit dealership, would you think that would have been a better route, if you were to undertake the project again?

Good questions.

DC headers were chosen because that's what Jon has on his car and we wanted to build from something we knew worked. The more exotic systems are killer, but remember mine is a street car and I can live with a few less HP and a few more lbs of weight, but it has to be as reliable as a typical Honda. So, Jon and I had a clear goal for this build. To create a LHD NSX-R, but build it as reliable as Honda would have built.

Yeah, ok, we added just a few more ponies than a stock NSX-R. And, it stops and corners better than a stock NSX-R. And its lower than OE, and sounds more like a Ferrari...but really, thats all, I promise.

On the 2000 coupe. No. There are many running improvements to the 2002+ cars that it would have cost me more to build my NSX-RR. And I've said this elsewhere, the fact that I fitted a coupe over an already strengthened Targa (essentially adding a 4-point roll cage) makes this result more rigid than any OE Coupe or Targa alone. So, its the best of all worlds.

Last edited:
Back