• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Corona Virus

The US president has the highest popularity of the world (regarding the no. of cases). God bless the USA.
China / Germany / Iran / Italy / South Korea / Switzerland / USA
trumps_popularity.JPG
Germany has released a recommendation to use a face mask, Austria has released an obligation to use one when shopping (within a shop).

Our breath has a lot of water in it...thus increasing the porosity of the mask media....that is why a exposed healthcare worker needs to change often

The German government (minister of health) for example recommended: build your own mask with whatever you find at home. Better than nothing.

This is what I'm doing.
toilet-paper-mask.jpg

So that's why you can't find TP on the shelves!!!!!!

This is what I'm doing.
At least, it has an additional function prior to its final purpose. :)

The more some people stock it the more they're afraid (wet one's pants).
Just imagine a friend is proudly showing you his house which includes visiting his wine cellar with an exclusive selection of fine wines following his even more meticulous selection of toilet paper in their highest qualities from all over the world. :)

Last edited:
At least, it has an additional function prior to its final purpose. :)

The more some people stock it the more they're afraid (wet one's pants).
Just imagine a friend is proudly showing you his house which includes visiting his wine cellar with an exclusive selection of fine wines following his even more meticulous selection of toilet paper in their highest qualities from all over the world. :)

I was just reading about the German finance minister apparently committing suicide over this.

Over here if you made less than $60k/yr, the average state unemployment will pay you more to stay home for 6 months or more.

The small business Payment Protection Program will provide up to 2 months for the workers to be unemployed to bridge that gap up to $100k/yr equivalent annual salary, AND pay for expenses up to a certain amount.

Meanwhile, the medical professionals working long stressful hours on the frontlines likely contracting this virus aren't getting much if anything, along with the "critical infrastructure" workers.

Unbelievable.

Meanwhile, the medical professionals working long stressful hours on the frontlines likely contracting this virus aren't getting much if anything, along with the "critical infrastructure" workers.

Unbelievable.

Very true! Medical professionals are being neglected just like our soldiers and veterans (I’m not comparing the 2 occupations, just the treatment). They will live with what they see for the rest of their lives, many will never get the treatment. You have the President praising himself and CEO’s before mentioning those risking their lives. It’s one big infomercial.

In my opinion, the majority of the westernized world (excluding S.Korea, Singapore, and other countries with SARS, MERS, etc experience) is in deep doodoo, if that isn't obvious already. Here's some context.

I have an old college friend who moved to China to start an amazing craft beer company, started her own hip restaurants, and trendy clubs. She really hit that business boom there. She posted this to us. She just returned to Shanghai after spending time with family here in LA.

I've always wondered when our hubris would trigger the end of our way of life. At least I've thought about how our own blindness to what's happening around the rest of the world will cause a decline in our perceived greatness (aka. MAGA!) ... I've thought about these things as some of you may have as well. I just had no idea, not in a million years, it would be a virus. Just seemed like it was too Hollywood. Now the news is filled with anti-China claims about using fake data blah blah blah. Sure... but the numbers are so big already... who really cares about semantics at this point.

If this really is some deep "state" or "cabal" doing... it's brilliant in a horrific way. The Forever Trumpers are certainly convinced of this. Sigh....

Stay safe everyone!

Quoted for content.

Unbelievable.
So true.

Here in Europe, the medical professionals who risk their life every day get some kind of standing ovations every Friday at 12:00 or so as a moral support and as a sign of respect for them.
The shop assistants in the supermarktes get a small bonus here and there (at least) but it's not much.

While the situation in Italy and Spain really turned bad some weeks ago there's light at the end of the tunnel in maybe about 2-3 weeks. But all of our eyes are fixed on the USA with its dizzying rate of increase of cases, the most terrifying development of them all. The difference between Obama leading through Ebola and Trump lying through Corona couldn't be bigger. God bless the USA and stay safe.

So true.

Here in Europe, the medical professionals who risk their life every day get some kind of standing ovations every Friday at 12:00 or so as a moral support and as a sign of respect for them.
The shop assistants in the supermarktes get a small bonus here and there (at least) but it's not much.

While the situation in Italy and Spain really turned bad some weeks ago there's light at the end of the tunnel in maybe about 2-3 weeks. But all of our eyes are fixed on the USA with its dizzying rate of increase of cases, the most terrifying development of them all. The difference between Obama leading through Ebola and Trump lying through Corona couldn't be bigger. God bless the USA and stay safe.

👍. We are hunkered down, doing our best to stay isolated!

So true.

That's great! I just read USA's largest supermarket, Kroger, is giving raises, as well as extra pay for each hr of overtime worked, and bonuses which helps.

It's worth mentioning again there are many countries that are not testing/unable to test. USA case count is more of a metric that corresponds to the ability to offer testing in comparison to other countries. Syria's confirmed case count as of this morning is 16, India's is 2k, and Africa's is 6k. That is a combined total of a 2.5 billion people (1/3 of global pop.) with less case counts than NY? ...in reporting, yes, in reality ...not likely. These countries struggle to provide drinking water much less have any extra for washing their hands dozens of times ...or the convenience of drive-thru test stations. Without thorough testing all the numbers we see are not an accurate reflection of real global statistics about this virus.

So I had a shipment from China for much needed N95 masks for my wife's hospital. The motherf*ckers have it held up at customs due to some tarriff/trade war nonesense as what my supplier told me. I have to look up exactly what's the issue but this is very upsetting.

Last edited:
So true.

What country are you in? Didn't think the Ebola virus reached outside of Ebola Africa like this China Cororna virus reached outside of China.

Last edited:
So I had a shipment from China for much needed N95 masks for my wife's hospital. The motherf*ckers have it held up at customs due to some tarriff/trade war nonesense as what my supplier told me. I have to look up exactly what's the issue but this is very upsetting.
Sorry to hear. My father carried them in his suitcase when he flew back ten days ago. Even desinfectant passed the boarding (ethanol) but it had to be filled in smaller contents (100 ml max.).

Without thorough testing all the numbers we see are not an accurate reflection of real global statistics about this virus.
Yes, there's a pronounced bias induced by the abilitiy or the willingness of the government of each country for testing generously. That's why epidemiologists are so afraid about Africa. Even within Europe the estimated dark figures differ by a large amount. Germany testing generously -> low rate of death, Italy with a high dark figure from the beginning -> high rate of death. The north of Italy (the cash cow of Italy) where it spread first and heaviest the healthy is in fairly good condition, esp. comparing to the poorer south of Italy. Even though the health system up in the north collapsed due to the overwhelming no. of severe cases every other health system would have collapsed too.
The rate of death is depending on
- the no. of tests
- the condition/break down of the health system
The no. have be to treaten with caution. Unfortunately, they're not standardised.
Moreover this, in the EU the health system is up to each country.

Last edited:
there are vast groups of displaced refugees from all sorts of conflicts around the globe...this virus will have a field day in those conditions....

[MENTION=10201]goldNSX[/MENTION] - please turn off your CNN over there. Totally biased media outlet. And your comment(s) about Obama handling the Ebola outbreak is laughable at best. Read on so you might learn how Obama did nothing in 2009-2010 while H1N1 Swine flu swept across America:

Jerry Shenk: Pandemics: Some perspective, please… March 23, 2020

COVID-19, or coronavirus, has taken American lives. It will take more. COVID-19 is unquestionably serious, but, perspective about the virus has been scarce.

For a start, coronavirus is not our first pandemic.

Americans who lived through it remember 2009 when H1N1, a virus of Mexican origin known colloquially as “swine flu,” broke out. But, nobody remembers any panic, not among media, officials or the general public. There were no mandatory quarantines, shutdowns, layoffs, or general school closings. Toilet paper and hand sanitizer remained plentiful even though H1N1 primarily infected children and working-age adults, contaminated surfaces and was easily transmitted.

The Center for Disease Control identified H1N1 here in April 2009, declared it a public health emergency later that month, and, in June, the World Health Organization declared an H1N1 pandemic.

Four months later, on Oct. 24, when President Barack Obama’s administration finally grasped H1N1’s potential and declared a national emergency, some 1,000 Americans had already died. Before it was over, up to 575,000 people died worldwide. Swine flu infected about 60 million Americans, hospitalized nearly 300,000 and killed more than 12,000. Nevertheless, high school, college and professional sports seasons — everything — went on as scheduled.

What’s different now?

Media: “Swine flu vs. coronavirus: COVID-19 death rate is the difference.” An early 3 percent estimate of COVID-19’s mortality rate was frightening, but, its actual rate cannot be calculated, because, according to scientists, up to 86 percent of cases are untested or asymptomatic.

Because most COVID-19-infected people remain asymptomatic or mistake mild symptoms for common colds, the true coronavirus death rate cannot possibly meet doomsayers’ estimates. In fact, its rate may be closer to, although perhaps not as low as seasonal flu death rates. In recent years, seasonal flu has caused as many as 61,000 American deaths annually.

China identified COVID-19 early in December 2019. According to reports, by Monday morning, March 23, coronavirus had infected more than 343,000 people worldwide and killed 14,770, mostly in China and countries with nationalized, resource- and access-limited health services. The same morning, America counted 35,070 known infections and 458 deaths. U.S. numbers are still rising, so quantifying final numbers will take time, but, national and world-wide COVID-19 statistics still pale in comparison to prior epidemics.

There is no doubt, though, that, following H1N1, America should have been better prepared.

But, back then, there was no media-driven swine flu hysteria. Media watched non-critically as the Obama administration and Democrat-controlled Congress took no emergency measures while millions of Americans were infected, hundreds of thousands hospitalized and thousands died. Nor was it reported that the Obama administration never resupplied the national stockpile of vitally important N95 respirator masks depleted during the H1N1 epidemic to standards set by the 2005 “National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza” — or at all.

Years ago, Americans came together during national crises. Today, Democrats and their media shills ignore the Obama administration’s failures to implement crisis management measures and, more critically, preserve or improve America’s pandemic readiness, while sniping at and politicizing the Trump administration’s prompt, decisive efforts to protect everyone’s health.

Call me cynical for attributing partisan political motives to fault-finding derelicts, especially during a pandemic, but, regarding Democrat/media politics, cynicism is almost always rewarded.

https://www.pottsmerc.com/opinion/j...cle_03052d84-6d29-11ea-bf38-3fb0cbc09e6f.html

Politics apart... please don't compare COVID-19 with H1N1 or flu... If you look at what happened in Italy or Spain in question of weeks you will know tat this is not comparable... Those are top ranked healthcare Countrys... Stay home protect yourselfs and the ones you care... You will be protecting others also...

Last edited:
Just a gentle reminder that years ago we stopped political posts on prime to keep it civil. We are in the middle of a crisis right now and understandably there are strong opinions but the one constant that will remain will be politics will not be discussed on Prime.

I may be the last Moderator standing after all these years but unless covid eliminates me this site will stay true to its mission. I have no office to go to these days and courts are all closed so I have lots of time to delete so please refrain from political diatribes.

Thank you.

Last edited:
just a gentle reminder that years ago we stopped political posts on prime to keep it civil. We are in the middle of a crisis right now and understandably there are strong opinions but the one constant that will remain will be politics will not be discussed on prime.

I may be the last moderator standing after all these years but unless covid eliminates me this site will stay true to its mission. I have no office to go to these days and courts are all closed so i have lots of time to delete so please refrain from political diatribes.

Thank you.

[/u
here comes the judge!!!!

just a gentle reminder that years ago we stopped political posts on prime to keep it civil. We are in the middle of a crisis right now and understandably there are strong opinions but the one constant that will remain will be politics will not be discussed on prime.

I may be the last moderator standing after all these years but unless covid eliminates me this site will stay true to its mission. I have no office to go to these days and courts are all closed so i have lots of time to delete so please refrain from political diatribes.

Thank you.

Here comes the judge!!!!

I have friends that are raising money and attempting to acquire medical supplies for healthcare workers on the front lines, and they have also had shipments held up at customs. Hope you get your masks soon!

..and assless chaps...........

Thank you Rob.
H-

Back