• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Corsa Exhaust anyone?

So I've been doing a lot of research on exhausts for the NSX. More importantly an exhaust that does not drone, sounds good and isn't that heavy.

In regards to this subject I really thank Dave(Mac Attack) for spending the extra time researching how drone and sounds can be affected. Especially figuring out the firing frequency of 105Hz.

I was drawn more and more to Corsa exhaust since it internally incorporates passages for managing and eliminating droning to specific frequency range based on make and model.

Info from Corsa's website

CORSA's Patented RSC™ Technology is so precise that no 2 vehicles are the same. Each system is acoustically engineered to eliminate the specific frequencies that create drone. Using aerospace based technology, sound waves are targeted, reflected and eliminated without impeding air flow or sacrificing horsepower, yet still delivering the sound to fit your vehicle.
tech_rsc_diagram.gif

The Exclusive patented RSC™ Muffler design delivers a bold, unique sound under throttle that defines your performance car, truck or SUV on the open road. But inside, you experience the quite ride, where you can use your cell phone or listen to the radio. The patented RSC™ Muffler design features a straight through design that incorporates a full 360-degree air gap that sends targeted sound waves to specifically engineered channels. The waves are then returned to the gap 180-degrees out-of-phase, cancelling the specific "drone" creating frequencies. All that remains is the bold rumble that it the true voice of performance.
tech_comparison_diagram.gif

After reviewing lots of proven designs I kept coming back to Corsa exhausts. I found a few Corsa exhausts that would probably be easy to implement. This is Corsa Sport Exhaust #14212 for a Hummer H3 with an Inline 5 cylinder 3.7L motor. and at $855.00 shipped. It is worth the test after researching the range it is designed to mitigate.
COR-14212.jpg

The total distance tip to tip is 45". I was really excited about this because it is really close to the NSX at 46 5/8".

Before I go this route, I am curious what others think, any thoughts? Dave?

Thanks for the kind words - just trying to help others out if they're designing a new exhaust and don't want to put up with a drone!

Batmans had checked into Corsa mufflers in the past... This thread has some good info:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136387&page=2

Pretty much all cars have interior resonances in the low 100Hz area. It depends on vehicle stiffness, interior volume, etc.

The problem is that Corsa mufflers use the 1/4 wave cancellation method to get rid of a specific drone frequency on a specific vehicle. This only works for a very narrow range of frequencies and why they don't make a generic muffler. Also, their mufflers are pretty heavy too with all those concentric internal stainless sections.

Now, OEM muffler manufacturers and some aftermarket ones use actual helmholtz resonators. These are effective at reducing a wider range of frequencies than the simpler 1/4 wave resonators, but they're more complicated to make as you need to make a "neck" with certain dimensions (length, diameter), and then have it attached to a specific volume.

Good luck!

Dave

Back