• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealers combing their dusty databases to try to move 2018 cars

Plus Acura needs to make some improvements to the car. Lift, power-folding mirrors, seat adjustability, power bump, better tires, more colors, Targa top, etc...

Yes Yes .. ~$180K-200k price is fine, even back then, the 1 gen NSX was ~ $90K with 270HP, and Ferrari 355 was $130K with 380HP, so, both cars cost double now, while new NSX has more then double the power compare to before, and add on AWD, Hybrid ..

However, Buyers want "6oo+" horsepower (620-630 will be perfect, more than Huracan, and slightly less than 488) lift will be a nice touch, and ideally, cut reasonable 150lb to 3700lb range .. and cut 0.2 to 0.3 sec 1/4 mile time, at least par with Huracan, 488 and 911T ..

Today's market are all about "number on paper" .. look at the "advertised" number for the Dodge Demon vs the real world test .. buyers still pay $30-50K over MSRP because the "Demon" is great on paper .. (but not on roads) .. how sad ..

NSX will go down in history as the worst utilized brand ever. Imagine if Porsche sold one model. If Ferrari sold one model.

NSX needs a large sporty SUV to compete with top of the line Range Rover or 90k 8 passanger Suburban , A kick ass Sedan like the Panamera or CTS-V. And a smaller cheaper track car about 70k or so. 20-30 cars a month is probably sooooo far under their WORST corporate expectations. Sadly, 4-5 NSX cars ran in Sebring but not one on display for wealthy potential customers to sit in and look at. I can tell you driving my NSX with my 13 year old
out at the beach or picking him up at school gets A LOT of attention, smiles, thumbs up, waves, gawks, photos.............Glad I bought when I did. Eagerly waiting for SOS Exhaust goodies being delivered AND a tune to pull out another 75-100hp.

NSX will go down in history as the worst utilized brand ever. Imagine if Porsche sold one model. If Ferrari sold one model.

NSX needs a large sporty SUV to compete with top of the line Range Rover or 90k 8 passanger Suburban , A kick ass Sedan like the Panamera or CTS-V. And a smaller cheaper track car about 70k or so. 20-30 cars a month is probably sooooo far under their WORST corporate expectations. Sadly, 4-5 NSX cars ran in Sebring but not one on display for wealthy potential customers to sit in and look at. I can tell you driving my NSX with my 13 year old
out at the beach or picking him up at school gets A LOT of attention, smiles, thumbs up, waves, gawks, photos.............Glad I bought when I did. Eagerly waiting for SOS Exhaust goodies being delivered AND a tune to pull out another 75-100hp.

Acura is not Ferrari or Porsche however. Acura has 6 models and should sell over 150,000 units this year. NSX is not a volume car, it's a halo car to bring attention to the brand. Currently the problem with the brand is that when you look from the NSX to the rest of the lineup there is not much similarities.

The MDX Sport-Hybrid was a good start. Now the MDX A-spec will be launching which looks absolutely fantastic after seeing it in New York and should help a lot. The RDX redesign for 2019 also has lots of NSX inspired elements.

The next big step is the relaunch of Type-S. If they take the A-spec looks and just add the turbo V6 and the next generation of SH-AWD (which is everything which has already been confirmed as coming to every Type-S model) than they can have a pretty stellar lineup. I have a hunch the V6 will be a twin turbo setup putting out 450ish horsepower and will debut in 2020 or 2021 when the TLX gets a full redesign. Some think the ILX may be getting Type-S this year with it's redesign however I don't think that will be the case. Not to say I wouldn't love it to happen though.

It's a long process coming from what the lineup was in 2016 to where they want to be by 2020 but the brand is heading in a great direction and there is lots to look forward to in the coming years. I do agree I would love to see a more premium MDX in the $60k to $70k price range.

I have been in three of the latest gen MDX. One is a good friend's. The other 2 have been Ubers.

For. Christ's. Sake.... Soften up that horribly harsh suspension. What makes them think an A spec with even firmer suspension would be any better.

I own a Lexus LX470 and recently test drove a brand new X5M... Both have great suspension and one isbetter15yrs old.

There's absolutely no reason an SUV needs to have that firm of a suspension. It's terrible.

Last edited:
I have been in three of the latest gen MDX. One is a good friend's. The other 2 have been Ubers.

For. Christ's. Sake.... Soften up that horribly harsh suspension. What makes them think an A spec with even firmer suspension would be any better.

I own a Lexus LX470 and recently test drove a brand new X5M... Both have great suspension and one isbetter15yrs old.

There's absolutely no reason an SUV needs to have that firm of a suspension. It's terrible.

A-spec doesn't just turn the suspension to a stiff mess. In the TLX it's re-tuned dampers, stiffer sway bars, and better tires and then purely cosmetic from there. The adjustments to the suspension aren't even noticeable in daily driving. They are just enough to help if you are pushing the car hard. They also know there is no need for a super stiff suspension in an SUV and I doubt they do much to the MDX suspension at all. A-spec is all about the looks. Now maybe when Type-S relaunches and there is some performance to back it up they will need to tighten things up a bit. My guess is everything from here on out gets active dampers.

The MDX is not the softest or most comfortable suspension out there. However the MDX does have the best handling characteristics of any SUV of it's size. Driving the comparable models today you will notice tons more body roll in corners, lots of front end dip when braking, and sloppy handling. If I've ever heard complaints about the suspension in the MDX then I show them the Sport-Hybird with the active dampers. For $1,500 more the Sport-Hybrid MDX is the clear cut choice in my book. It has a much quieter drive-train, better suspension, 31 additional horsepower, gets rid of the worst part of the standard MDX (9 speed ZF transmission) and replaces with a fantastic 7-speed dual clutch, and gets 40% better city fuel economy. We all know how good the performance of the Sport-Hybrid system is in the NSX, it is just as great in the MDX.

All of our NSX buyers have come back and swapped their wives SUV's for the Sport-Hybird MDX after a few months with the NSX when they understand the true benefits of the system.

Last edited:
A-spec doesn't just turn the suspension to a stiff mess. In the TLX it's re-tuned dampers, stiffer sway bars, and better tires and then purely cosmetic from there. The adjustments to the suspension aren't even noticeable in daily driving. They are just enough to help if you are pushing the car hard. They also know there is no need for a super stiff suspension in an SUV and I doubt they do much to the MDX suspension at all. A-spec is all about the looks. Now maybe when Type-S relaunches and there is some performance to back it up they will need to tighten things up a bit. My guess is everything from here on out gets active dampers.

The MDX is not the softest or most comfortable suspension out there. However the MDX does have the best handling characteristics of any SUV of it's size. Driving the comparable models today you will notice tons more body roll in corners, lots of front end dip when braking, and sloppy handling. If I've ever heard complaints about the suspension in the MDX then I show them the Sport-Hybird with the active dampers. For $1,500 more the Sport-Hybrid MDX is the clear cut choice in my book. It has a much quieter drive-train, better suspension, 31 additional horsepower, gets rid of the worst part of the standard MDX (9 speed ZF transmission) and replaces with a fantastic 7-speed dual clutch, and gets 40% better city fuel economy. We all know how good the performance of the Sport-Hybrid system is in the NSX, it is just as great in the MDX.

All of our NSX buyers have come back and swapped their wives SUV's for the Sport-Hybird MDX after a few months with the NSX when they understand the true benefits of the system.

No disrespect intended but you do not need super firm suspension to be sporty at all. Like I said... I drove the new X5M just to be confident in saying that. In a full size SUV, a harsh ride is inexcusable. If the owners are "ok" with this, they simply don't know any better.

I'm slowly coming to grips that I'm no longer an Acura customer. If the new MDX is what sells then I'm happy for the new owners. Tough for guys like me who've owned many Hondas throughout the years (I count 7 personally). Lexus and Porsche have a grip on us now as far as new cars are concerned.

No disrespect intended but you do not need super firm suspension to be sporty at all. Like I said... I drove the new X5M just to be confident in saying that. In a full size SUV, a harsh ride is inexcusable. If the owners are "ok" with this, they simply don't know any better.

My point was that if you feel the suspension on the MDX was to harsh for your taste there is more options for a smother suspension with the active dampers in the Sport Hybrid model. Stating that the X5M rides better makes sense, its twice as expensive as an MDX. In the $50,000 price segment the MDX does everything well, but is not perfect in any one area. Compare it to the true competition which would be Lexus RX-L, Audi Q7, Infiniti QX60 etc. MDX does extremely well in it's segment. It's the best selling 3-row luxury SUV of all time with over 750,000 units sold. The only Luxury SUV that has outsold it has been the Lexus RX which up until now has only had 2 rows. I wouldn't think they would be selling so well if the suspension is as bad as you claim.

This is the same argument people get into with the NSX. Claiming things like the R8 V10 Plus, Huracan, Ferrari's, or Mclaren's are much better cars than the NSX. Well they should be they are significantly more expensive than the NSX! That's what makes the NSX, the MDX and the Acura lineup as a whole great, they punch well above their price point and provide a huge bargain for what you receive.

I will try the active dampers on the MDX. I don't believe any of the 3 I've ridden in had them. Some owners complain about the harsh ride in the new NSX but I think Honda has it in them to make a compliant car because the new Civic Type R appears to be comfortable - i have yet to ride in that as well.

In fairness, our IS300 (bought new) has a much more compliant ride than our IS250 (bought CPO). The IS250 is harsh like the new MDX. They don't need to be.

I'm slowly coming to grips that I'm no longer an Acura customer. If the new MDX is what sells then I'm happy for the new owners. Tough for guys like me who've owned many Hondas throughout the years (I count 7 personally). Lexus and Porsche have a grip on us now as far as new cars are concerned.

Competition out there is stout. Porsche is absolutely crushing it right now. They put out a great product, the Macan us a fantastic SUV and they have everything figured out. In New York last week I visited some other premium dealerships (Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche, Mercedes) and shared the experience with the executives. I talked to them a lot about how they need to try and learn from what Porsche is doing and they listened.

I'd absolutely recommend trying out the Sport-Hybrid with the active dampers and seeing if that improves it. You will want to make sure you are in the comfort or normal mode when driving it as well as that has an impact on the suspensions response. I'm in the boat that believes Acura is currently sitting in the middle ground right now, working towards what they want to be as a brand and where they want their product to be but not quite there yet. Future is exciting and I've talked to many clients who were loyal Acura buyers for years and determined to go elsewhere lately. I've encouraged them as I would encourage you to pay close attention over the coming years.

If there is one thing I learned from getting to meet Ikeda and some of his team is that these guys have passion. They truly care about the brand and they believe in the products they are bringing to market. They recognize they lost that and they are working hard to get it back.

I own a 2014 MDX and my family and I find the ride just fine, in any of the three modes. I guess I just "don't know any better"? :rolleyes:

I own a 2014 MDX and my family and I find the ride just fine, in any of the three modes. I guess I just "don't know any better"? :rolleyes:
I can't say about the 2014 MDX. The 17 and 18 are harsh especially for an SUV. Our 07 Odyssey, previous 03 Odyssey, and 96 Odyssey rode just fine for that matter. It's as if they decided firm suspension was the hip new thing.

evidently.. you also have the adjustable damping [MENTION=34405]dshinke21[/MENTION] recommends. Try the standard suspension and get back to us. Last week our Uber took us from Manhattan to JFK in his 17 MDX. I was impressed with the interior but the ride was awful.

This looks like the place ask. A local dealer has been sitting on a 17 NSX Novelle Blue (MSRP $197k) for about 9 months. I would buy it today but he won’t move on his $178k price. I have heard there have been some real bargains. I offered $150k and he said “when pigs fly”.

Im willing to fly 1500 miles and drive it home, if anyone knows of a Nouvelle Blue out there WITH NO CF SPOILER! Sorry but I’m not a fan of this option.

Thanks

This looks like the place ask. A local dealer has been sitting on a 17 NSX Novelle Blue (MSRP $197k) for about 9 months. I would buy it today but he won’t move on his $178k price. I have heard there have been some real bargains. I offered $150k and he said “when pigs fly”.

Im willing to fly 1500 miles and drive it home, if anyone knows of a Nouvelle Blue out there WITH NO CF SPOILER! Sorry but I’m not a fan of this option.

Thanks

Just get a low mile used one. The car is almost 2 years old (new or not)
128-133K should do the trick on a lo mile used lo mile/good spec one

good luck in the search

great car!

Last edited:
I'm on my second MDX. The previous gen had the active dampening and adjusted on the fly. The latest gen you select between Comfort, Normal, Sport. There is a marked difference when you switch to sport on stiffness. So when we are tripping, I generally have it in Comfort and it is a very pleasant and compliant ride. In Sport, you now it. The reality is most owners don't bother configuring their preferences. The dealership runs them through the options quickly and they drive off. What ever the default is set at, that is where most spend their lives. For most of our driving, Comfort is the best setting. I do like Sport when on the rare occasion I get to push things a bit, like carrying passengers up to Pigeon Forge in the Smokies. It shines on that road.

I'm on my second MDX. . . ..
Forgot to add it is a '14 and I did a lot of looking before buying. I have other factors that drive my decision. In additon to being the family do everything ride, I tow on occasion 2000 - 4300 lbs. (Motorcycles to NSX on aluminum trailer) so have the SH-AWD (non Hybrid). The German options have a slightly higher towing capacity, but Mfg. are notorious for cheating on the capacity front. The Honda capacity includes having at least one passenger and luggage. Very easy to install a brake controller and I get 17 mpg pulling 4300 lbs at freeway speeds in rollers. I've only hit one hill, going to NSXPO in Palm Springs where it couldn't hold its speed. Among my work colleagues, as far as the non-Japanese competitors, they say they love their vehicles and are very happy with them and will be repeat buyers. In the second sentence it is in the shop for something, but they tend to think that is normal. I will say I know of at least one Audi that was underwater in Harvey and did start when dried out!!! It was eventually totaled. So I guess they are water proof . . . for a while:)!! Can not say that for the Hondas I saw floating around :)!!

Thanks

At the moment the only blue ones out there that would be a good deal have the Carbon Fiber Spoiler. This is the best deal on the market and a pretty sharp looking build IMO but does have that spoiler. Only colors I've seen the Orchid interior in that I have liked are the Novelle Blue and Nord Gray. If you can get them to move on this a bit it could be a decent deal. Low miles too.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=203914853

Market price on a 2017 is $130k to $150k depending on mileage and options. Unfortunately you are a month or so late on getting the really good deals as the $30k incentive is now gone. Honestly I'd keep letting them sit on that car and keep watching for the right used one to pop up on the market. When you find the right one you will know it and be ready to move fast. Lot's of that color out there in the world but it seems that for now the guys that bought them are holding on the them. Should see some more turnover in the next 6 months I'd expect.

Dealers that held onto their 2017's and didn't utilize that incentive when they could are hurting now.

Last edited:
I’ve heard the $30k incentive has been extended. I got that info when I went to the Honda Proving Grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
I looked at that one too. Got the same response. Not the color I wanted so didn’t push it. And it still sits there.

CR-Zs are obviously going to be rare sought after collector items down the road in thirty or forty years! Better pick up a few while they're still available.

I always wonder what kind of target buyers Honda is aiming for the CR-Z. The Honda jerk-offs are so out of touch with the reality. And then that heinous RLX........
Steve

Last edited:
The RLX Sport Hybrid is actually a pretty good drive. It's wicked fast for a car its size. It just needed a better suspension (I had a 2014 and was an early adopter) and, of course, a look that stood out a bit more.

I always wonder what kind of target buyers Honda is aiming for the CR-Z. The Honda jerk-offs are so out of touch with the reality. And then that heinous RLX........
Steve
it could have been fun, but honda didn't put enough effort into it.

they forgot to install the "sport" component.

Back