• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Difflow NSX Diffusers... coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NSX Diffusers... coming soon.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z4-EzdX1lTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

great video

so you have to have the 2002 rear valance? in order to fit this?

it looks like a nice finish diffuser.

just some suggestion, i think if it has 4 - 5 fins underneath will look cleaner.
also, i would prefer a sharper end finish rather than the curve. it will look bit more aggressive.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z4-EzdX1lTU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="420"></iframe>

great video

so you have to have the 2002 rear valance? in order to fit this?

Thanks for embedding it for me :)

For now, you have to have the 2002+ valance. We'll work on a 1991-2001 diffuser over the coming month or two.

it looks like a nice finish diffuser.

just some suggestion, i think if it has 4 - 5 fins underneath will look cleaner.
also, i would prefer a sharper end finish rather than the curve. it will look bit more aggressive.

We've been thinking about coming out with a sharper edge, like we do with our Elise/Exige diffusers. I will experiment with the angles and figure out what looks good. After this first initial ''round'' batch, I'll mess with the sharper edges and we'll offer 2 styles. Original style (rounded, better for street) and Railer (squared off, better for track). Like here: http://www.difflow.com/products.html We are a month out at least from having a railer diffuser for the NSX.

:)

Last edited:

Please, keep it under $500 shipped! :)

Looks great!

I think is time for my DF almost destroyed diffuser to go ..

oh and yeah "Please, keep it under $500 shipped!" :tongue:

Oscar

Looks like it is $650, $500 would have been nice. Looks great though.

I can't help but to think despite being a very clever way to mount, that all this bracketing and lips and stuff are adding weight. What does this unit weigh?

Looks like it is $650, $500 would have been nice. Looks great though.

I can't help but to think despite being a very clever way to mount, that all this bracketing and lips and stuff are adding weight. What does this unit weigh?

The prototype as seen in this video weighed around 10 lbs total. We used a thinner aluminum for the prototype. The production models will be stronger, and should only weigh around 12-15 lbs. Let me see where my costs are at after we get the first batch done and I might just be able to drop the price a bit.

Guessing roughly a plate 40x40" made out of .05" Aluminum and the strakes would make it around 9.24 lbs, so I would say around 10 lbs in real life with brackets, fasteners etc, etc.

0.032" is probably the thinnest you'd want to go, which would bring the weight down to about 6.5 lbs or so.

If anybody has a low canister volume exhaust, like a Taitec GTLW, Cantrell/SOS Enduralite, Taitec JGTC, Taitec Bel Canto/Pride V2, ARC Titanium or similar and is interested in an optimized diffuser, please let Difflow know. Taking some rough measurements, the end result should be a diffuser roughly 30" long at a 5 to 7 degree angle. There might be a small gap between the lower rear valence and diffuser as a result. But it would probably be the most functional diffuser on the market for the NSX.

With enough people interested, perhaps they would be interested in making a batch of them.

Last edited:

12 pounds? Any way to make it lighter? hmmm.... I'm shaving off ounces and now have to stick 12-15 pounds at the tail end of the car where it has the most inertia...

always a complainer.... LOL...

Would fewer fins and lighter gauge metal make it lighter and retain the same effect?

Last edited:

12 pounds? Any way to make it lighter? hmmm.... I'm shaving off ounces and now have to stick 12-15 pounds at the tail end of the car where it has the most inertia...

Would fewer fins and lighter gauge metal make it lighter and retain the same effect?

Our prototype was a bit on the flimsy side. If I went any thinner, it would bend up and look like crap. I want to make it thick enough to where it doesn't bend out of shape overtime and it can handle a beating, like our elise/exige diffusers do. :)

Oh, give me a break. :rolleyes: Gas is 6.7 lbs per gallon. Glenn ignore Dave, he thinks that 10 lbs will make him faster at the track and it won't....

Dave, if the diffuser ends up increasing the downforce in the rear and reduces drag I guarantee your lap time will improve more than the 15 lbs because of the increase confidence you will have that the back end isn't going to come around.

Anything that will make the back end stick better will give you more confidence and your corner entry speeds will improve. When I just added my ARP wing, I immediately dropped 2 secs a lap because I had the confidence to carry more speed through the turns.

Last edited:
Re: Difflow Diffusers for the NSX

thumbs up from me. wheres the buy now button.

Dave, if the diffuser ends up increasing the downforce in the rear and reduces drag I guarantee your lap time will improve more than the 15 lbs because of the increase confidence you will have that the back end isn't going to come around.

Are we going to start this again? It's not about 3 pounds or 5 pounds. I have painstakingly reduced the car's weight by 200 pounds. Through a pound here and an ounce there. To me adding weight anywhere is a concern. It's like you telling a guy on a diet "this one cookie isn't going to do shit".

Anyway, I am not dumb, I understand the effects of downforce, a stiffer chassis, more confidence, and most of all, better driving. It still doesn't mean that if I want less weight, I am not going to ask for less weight. Can you and I please put this subject to rest? We sound like a broken record you and I...

qu1Z, thanks for the input. I guess it is what it is.

Dave for your next track day stuff a bunch of helium filled balloons in your trunk.:wink:

For the weight conscience people maybe he can design a carbon fiber version. Prices on that would shoot up. I personally would rather have a diffuser that weighs 12 - 15 lbs and is sturdy vs a 8lb flabby sheet of alluminum. I am sure difflow will make a quality diffuser. I can't wait to see the finished product for both 91-01 & 02+

Are we going to start this again? It's not about 3 pounds or 5 pounds. I have painstakingly reduced the car's weight by 200 pounds. Through a pound here and an ounce there. To me adding weight anywhere is a concern. It's like you telling a guy on a diet "this one cookie isn't going to do shit".

One cookie won't do shit, 100 cookies will. :biggrin:

Re: Difflow Diffusers for the NSX

I thought there were 2 threads...I was going crazy thinking my posts were getting deleted.

Waiting for a 91-01 diffuser.. =)

Nim

Won't happen.

1. Not enough surface area to bolt this diffuser on
2. Production volume will be too low since the average person that can't afford (not directing it at u) to upgrade to the "better" rear valance probably don't have coin for this unit.

Won't happen.

2. Production volume will be too low since the average person that can't afford (not directing it at u) to upgrade to the "better" rear valance probably don't have coin for this unit.

It should be possible to fabricate brackets so it is not necessary to bolt directly to the lower rear valance, thus making the conversion to a '02+ lower rear valance unnecessary.

Won't happen.

Not everyone feels it's necessary to "upgrade" to the newer valence. Therefore, a rear diffuser for the original valence would be unique part.

Difflow's
red5.jpg

vs

Blodi's

2854182422_d5252cb9ce.jpg

I like Difflows cause it covers more surface area under the car, but if you just want 4 fins you can go with Blodi's. I plan on going with Difflow's just want to see what the 91 - 01 diffuser looks like, if I don't like it then I will purchase DF rear Valance and Difflows diffuser

It's no problem at all for us to eliminate/add some fins for you, to make a 4 or 3 element diffuser - just let me know. :) We had one Lotus customer with a 3 element diffuser run over a deer on the highway. The fins sliced up the deer pretty good. He wished he had a 5 or 7 element to slice up the deer more.

Difflow's
red5.jpg

vs

Blodi's

2854182422_d5252cb9ce.jpg

I like Difflows cause it covers more surface area under the car, but if you just want 4 fins you can go with Blodi's. I plan on going with Difflow's just want to see what the 91 - 01 diffuser looks like, if I don't like it then I will purchase DF rear Valance and Difflows diffuser

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back