• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you use a power buffer machine to wax?

I have been trying out different waxes and the CG, and Zaino products that requires several waxing steps. After the 4th different application of wax, my hands are killing me. I've got to invest in a quality buffer machine. Any recommendations? Don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want to buy the cheap 12".

The best orbital is the Flex XC 3401 VRG but it's not cheap. $280

Flex-XC3401VRG-L.png

The best economy buffer is the Porter Cable 7424. $115

PC-7424-L.png

I have the PC 7424 and it does a good job, but honestly I wish I had spent the money and got the Flex.

Honestly, you really do not need a buffer of any type to apply just the wax.

I have the PC which I have had for awhile and now have a Makita 9227c buffer that I am learning to use. The buffer is designed for paint correction and removing swirls, holograms, scratches. However, I am using the PC for applying the glazes/sealants (last step before wax) since there is not as much heat needed and is easier to handle. Polishes and compounds need the rotary buffer for maximum effectiveness to break down.

For wax, I use a small foam pad by hand and it goes on like butter. If it does not, your surface is not properly prepared. It should be the easiest step.

For just simple waxing I'd get the PC 7424 (Porter Cable)

Just make sure you get the right pads for waxing and such and not a harsh cutting pad....

Josh

Honestly, you really do not need a buffer of any type to apply just the wax.

For wax, I use a small foam pad by hand and it goes on like butter. If it does not, your surface is not properly prepared. It should be the easiest step.

You are correct in the fact that you don't "NEED" a buffer to apply waxes, but I would respectfully disagree with the rest as it really depends on what kind/type of waxes or sealants are being applied as some go on/off very easily and some do not....

As a professional detailer I can tell you that using a machine like the PC with a fine pad on a low setting is by far the best way to apply a wax or sealant. The reason being is that it spreads very very thin and evenly.

This is good cause with wax/sealants if you put it on too thick 1 it will be more difficult to remove, 2 it takes longer to dry and cure which can cause it to streak when removed, 3 it gets in all the little cracks and seems of the car. With a PC applying thin layers will avoid all this mess and you'll be saving money in products cause you'll learn to use less by spreading it thin. Less is more when applying wax/sealants.

Josh

Last edited:
As a professional detailer I can tell you that using a machine like the PC with a fine pad on a low setting is by far the best way to apply a wax or sealant. The reason being is that it spreads very very thin and evenly.

Josh

Would generally agree if a liquid wax/sealant is used. However, with a paste wax, such as Souveran, not sure how well that might work as I have not tried it. Applying the paste wax to a large buffer pad on the PC seems more work than just using a small foam pad by hand or is there some other method of which I am unaware?

I plan to use the buffer to remove hairline scratches on my paint. Other than that, I wouldn't need one just for waxing. Not having much luck with removing scratches by hand.

I've been using the PC with the 6" hook'n'loop base and various Griots and Meguiars pads for a few years and have had good luck with em. I don't think it goes any quicker, but its less tiring and you can do a much nicer job.

The easiest route is to get the setup from Griot's Garage. They have the right random orbital buffer w/ pads that work so you don't have to figure out what to get.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/car+care/car+polishing/orbitals+and+car+polishing+tools.do

Get their Random orbital and their pads and it all works together well. The price is reasonable too.

I noticed at griots garage, it looks as though they might have an attachment to hook on to an air compressor. I have a pretty good air compressor in my garage. Is that an option, or would it be too strong? If so, recommend the 6" or 3" and can I get this air compressor adapter at Sears?

I was thinking about this one:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911506000P?mv=rr

Last edited:
Which is better, the PC or the Griot's? Or would they be considered the same quality with the same results?

I like the Flex but the price...

Which is better, the PC or the Griot's? Or would they be considered the same quality with the same results?

I like the Flex but the price...

The Griot's unit appears to be a PC; just rebranded (visually, it looks the same as the PC 7424 - just a different handle). The Griot's has the velco backing and the vented backplate that sometimes costs extra when getting the PC.

The Flex is nice, but unless you are making money detailing, I think it is overkill.

As far as quality of Griot's vs. PC - probably no real world difference.

Last edited:
I noticed at griots garage, it looks as though they might have an attachment to hook on to an air compressor. I have a pretty good air compressor in my garage. Is that an option, or would it be too strong? If so, recommend the 6" or 3" and can I get this air compressor adapter at Sears?

I was thinking about this one:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911506000P?mv=rr

I have no experience w/ the air tool orbital; I have the electric one which works well for me b/c it has a variable speed feature. As far as 3" or 6", I'd say 6". 3" would take a long time for polishing/ waxing a car.

I have used Griots products for over 8 years, I previously used Meguiars Professional line but gave it all away when I discovered Griots. They also have a 3" that is great for pillars and coves. The great thing is that their products are GUARANTEED FOR LIFE. Their products are water based NOT silicone based as are most (Meguiars,Zaino and others)

I'm on the same boat. I am continually seeing hairline scratches especially on the sides of the engine bay where the NSX engine cover doesn't quite reach.

Anyway, when is a color sand in order? Also, does the NSX paint typically run thin meaning if color sanded is there a big risk of burning through the paint?

I've tried several hand waxes and had a detailer power buff it and tend to be temporary solutions.

I would check out autopia.org. It is a great online detailing community/forum with a wealth of knowledgeable people and information. Great place for product reviews as well, I never have gone wrong with any recommendations I received from their.

Just ordered the Griot wax & polish kit...

I somehow ended up with three black cars this year, and hand waxing this weekend was a PITA.

The best orbital is the Flex XC 3401 VRG but it's not cheap. $280

Flex-XC3401VRG-L.png

I have the PC 7424 and it does a good job, but honestly I wish I had spent the money and got the Flex.

I just tried the Flex last week and it's faster and stronger than the PCs are by far. If you want to be able to polish and polish twice as fast as the PC, then the Flex is the way to go. If it's just for wax, the cheaper PC is a good option.

You are correct in the fact that you don't "NEED" a buffer to apply waxes, but I would respectfully disagree with the rest as it really depends on what kind/type of waxes or sealants are being applied as some go on/off very easily and some do not....

This is good cause with wax/sealants if you put it on too thick 1 it will be more difficult to remove, 2 it takes longer to dry and cure which can cause it to streak when removed, 3 it gets in all the little cracks and seems of the car. With a PC applying thin layers will avoid all this mess and you'll be saving money in products cause you'll learn to use less by spreading it thin. Less is more when applying wax/sealants.

Josh

exactly what i would of said!

Okay, I'm looking for something that will remove oxidation off my daily driver and take out swirls/scratches off my X. I don't need any waxes/polishes What do you guys recommend between the two:
Both priced at $199.99.

This one comes with more pads and deep cutting pads. It also comes with # 6" Backing Plate &
# 6" Counter Weight No waxes or polish. (free shipping)
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Porter-Cable-7424-Starter-Kit-P138/

OR

This one only comes with 1-orange and 1-red pad. I don't need wax or polish as I have a full garage of them. Counter weight and backing plate not included at griots.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+care+kits/machine+polish+&+wax+kit.do Griots has a 15% discount.

OR
CG Kit $10.00 less.
http://www.chemicalguys.com/DA_ULTIMATE_DETAILING_MACHINE_p/buf_202.htm

Just give me your feedback based on my needs.

Last edited:
My Griot's buffer came w/ the vented backing plate that allows velcro attachment of pads - I think that's a standard part of the buffer for Griots. Not sure about the counterweight.

Their customer service is very good. You can call them directly and I'm sure they will be able to answer all questions about their buffer.

Personally, I like the Griot's buffer. The handle they have on theirs makes it easy to use.

Nalesh- make sure you also order the Griot Carbnuba wax. From what I understand, the smell is very intoxicating when inhaled properly:smile:

Nalesh- make sure you also order the Griot Carbnuba wax. From what I understand, the smell is very intoxicating when inhaled properly:smile:

Already have some. :biggrin: The wax makes for a nice afternoon in the garage along with the smell of tires and motor oil. :smile:

I hope I'm not overstepping or hijacking your thread. There is a site called Detailcity.org that has a vast amount of information on detailing. Not only that, but the advice is friendly and information is freely shared. I'm not a professional detailer just a weekend warrior and this forum is one of the best that I have ever seen.

amaezing.

Back