• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Dynolicious Performance meter for Iphone

http://www.dynolicious.com/

Some example pics from dynolicious site:

myride3.png

graph3.png

skidpad3.png

results3.png

That's pretty darn cool. Questions, since I'm not too familiar with the Iphone: Why does it even have a built-in accelerometer? Is it accurate? Is it 1, 2, or 3-axis?

It's funny Jason cause I downloaded this last night on itunes. I haven't had a chance to test it out. Did you? How accurate is it?

Brian, not yet, I am waiting until I get Iphone 3G, so I don't have to buy it twice.:redface:

For the price, should be fun little gadget to play around with.

Simply unreal, it'll be purchased tonight:biggrin:

Wow, this is weird as hell, I actually purchased this last night. I can't wait to try it out on my bike, but it'll probably be a few days.

Daedalus: The iPhone's accelerometer initially controlled screen orientation, but is now being exploited for everything from programs like this to games.

I was going to write exactly this program.... but hadn't gotten around to it! The accelerometer on the phone is actually capable of 1000 samples/sec, but I think this program only uses 100/s. I know the accelerometer itself is extremely sensitive and is 3-axis, but I'm surprised they don't require you to securely fasten it to the car. They just say put it in your cupholder which probably isn't a great place for it if it will be moving around.

A friend of mine just picked up a high-end race computer and I'm going to compare the results against his. Looking at his features, I'm thinking something like that might make for a great iPhone app as well... although it would be a very niche market.

Brian, not yet, I am waiting until I get Iphone 3G, so I don't have to buy it twice.

Hi Jason, you should be able to transfer apps from your old iPhone to your new one without paying twice (according to this discussion).

I played around with dynolicious a bit this morning. A few times it was not triggered when I started (maybe I didn't wait long enough while it was it said "calibrating") and the runs did not show up under results (this might also be user error), but it's a neat little app for the iPhone.

Thanks for posting this, Jason.

my friend actually bought it yesterday and we were playing around with it. as with any accelerometer, it needs to maintain its orientation in whatever setting it is used in once calibrated, or else the information will be quite off...

by simply tilting it backwards during your 1/4 mile run, we were able to get sub-10 second 1/4mile times. add in a spin while it's recording, and we were able to get passes in the 6s range at 288 mph!...

but that's besides the point. it measures distance traveled by your rate of acceleration, and seems to be pretty good. (we tried a running with it) anyway, a fun little toy for the price, and probably just as good as similar products like the entry level g-tech.

we're doing some vehicle testing using accelerometers and other data acquisition systems so we're gonna put our National Instruments setup ($$$) next to this program to compare the results. should be fun to see.

Last edited:
Just did a run out of curiosity, didn't want to get a ticket so just one run:

I input the weight of my vehicle @3000lbs and with full tank of gas.

0-60 5.56
0-70 7.17
0-80 8.73
0-90 10.89
0-100 13.05
1/8 9.13
Max speed 100.2
Max Acc: 2.22Gs

I stop accelerating the moment I reach 160kph (I have a JDM gauge) and the reading stop at 100mph.

Pretty good.

Just did another run, did reach 1/4 mile
This time I had a 260lb passenger.
0-60 5.9
0-70 7.6
0-80 9.31
0-90 11.14
0-100 13.84
1/8 9.34
1/4 14.22
Max speed 102.1
Max Acc: 1.06Gs

I have to say the numbers does look pertty good. The dyno number is definitely off, way off.

Last edited:
I plan on trying it on my SS, it's just been a crazy week.........I've got a tankbag that's pretty rigid and has a good top side pocket that's see through for the phone.

actually that video shows the gtech being correct and the Iphone being off

They used the time including the .4 reaction time that neither Iphone nor Gtech can calculate unless they were syncronized with the tree in which they are not.

Actuall 1/4 mile time after reaction was 15.1 plus .4 reaction time
GTECH - 15.1
Iphone 15.6

so therefore the GTECH was correct and the IPHONE was .4 off

I have a Gtech RR it is very accurate

Last edited:
actually that video shows the gtech being correct and the Iphone being off

They used the time including the .4 reaction time that neither Iphone nor Gtech can calculate unless they were syncronized with the tree in which they are not.

Actuall 1/4 mile time after reaction was 15.1 plus .4 reaction time
GTECH - 15.1
Iphone 15.6

so therefore the GTECH was correct and the IPHONE was .4 off

I have a Gtech RR it is very accurate

Reaction time does not affect the final 1/4 mile time on a timeslip. Your 1/4 mile timer starts when the wheels cross the starting line. You can sit on the line for 2 hours and your 1/4 mile time on the timeslip would read in the 15 second range.

Also the reaction time that was printed on the time slip was 0.926 seconds.

Therefore, according to the video, the IPHONE was in fact correct and the GTECH was off.

Back