• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For those of you with unpainted CF hoods..

I recently installed a VIS CF, Type-R hood and I am planning on leaving it unpainted (just clear coat). My car is Berlina black and I am currently looking to source the Japan-only CF look washer nozzles. However, in the event that I can't get them... I'm thinking to just use black washer nozzles... or silver/grey. Your thoughts? Any pics anyone has? Any help is appreciated.:biggrin:

Just throwing my $.02 in, I don't think the CF hoods look good unpainted on black cars. It's hard to tell that the hood is CF and it tends to look dirty. That said, I desparately want one for my Formula Red... Thus, you should give me yours. :)

Just throwing my $.02 in, I don't think the CF hoods look good unpainted on black cars. It's hard to tell that the hood is CF and it tends to look dirty. That said, I desparately want one for my Formula Red... Thus, you should give me yours. :)
Check your pm.:smile:

I remember scorp965 having a oem cf set for sale a while back. You might try to contact him to see if he still has them.

They aren't cheap, so get your checkbook out.

You should get it dark clear coated. If not, the CF will fade through time.

i figure i could find some of those CF looking washer nozzles at pepboyz, autozone or even ebay, but no such luck. i'd just go with the black ones.

VIS, Seibon Etc... use polyester resins and it will turn yellow when hit with constant UV. i read in racecar engineering a while back that UV deteriorates race application CF over time. not sure if that still holds true.

my vote:
smoke it it with a dark cherry clear. it gives a really deep wet shine that looks like its arm deep.
the weave shows up if your up close only.
DSCN0967_copy.jpg

My OEM washers don't fit my VIS hood!

Do the VIS hoods have the washer nozzle holes factory drilled or is that a job for the new owner?

Hugh,
It comes with factory cut outs. HOWEVER, the OEM nozzles do not fit in it. Ask me how I know.:frown:
I've been told that the nozzles from a Legend will fit perfectly. I haven't verified that yet as I haven't bothered with putting any nozzles in my hood for a couple of years now.
I just disconnected the hose for the hood when I installed.

So you're saying the VIS hood has holes but the nozzles don't fit? Why? Because of the notches? Can't that easily be fixed with a Dremel?

See my post above.
You could probably fix it with a dremel if you wanted. However I'm thinking of selling mine sometime in the near future so I don't want to modify it in any way.

Yes, slight dremaling will easily fix the washer problem. I imagine VIS uses thats standard pattern for all their hoods. Fixed mine in a few minutes.:smile:

Dark clear coated? Doesn't the clear that it comes with help protect from UV? I guess I could just leave it CF and if it started fading then I could get it dark clear coated or painted then.

Keep in mind that I live in Seattle and I keep my car in the garage most of the time... so sun isn't a tremendous concern like you Cali guys. :)

My formula red with VIS CF hood, unpainted with black nozzles. (Fit with no mod's to the hood)

IMG_2246bws.jpg

I remember scorp965 having a oem cf set for sale a while back. You might try to contact him to see if he still has them.

They aren't cheap, so get your checkbook out.

I purchased a set of these a while back, and ended up not using them, painting my hood formula red instead. They were sold a few months back, and are pretty hard to find.

For a quick and easy solution, I would probably just stick with the black ones; you can buy these pre-painted from Acura, if you don't have a black nsx. The other option is to source an aftermarket nozzle, but then you will likely need to modify your nozzle holes, etc.

Back