• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Garage Queens veses DRIVERS

garage queen, 05 with 6,400 miles.

My NSX is not only a driver, but a long distance driver. By October of this year I have driven my ’93 in all 48 contiguous states! One day I even put 1000 miles on it (from some where around Peoria Illinois to Denver.) I did not do all 48 states in one trip, but rather 6 or 7 or 8 distinct trips. In fact, I have been in most states more than once, especially the big Western states. I’ve driven it about 50,000 miles in 6 years.

While I won’t deliberately take it out a really foul weather, on month-long, multi-state journeys I have run into everything except hail: mud, snow, rain, sleet, dust, fog, smog, haze, and, oh yes, sunshine. The paint on the NSX is truly amazing. With just a little detailing it looks like a nearly new car, and has even won awards in car shows. The front bumper does need refinishing, as you might expect, but it is not all THAT bad either. To top it off, my NSX is black -- the most difficult color to keep clean.

Living in Denver and driving a lot in the mountains, I always have Z-rated all season tires on it. I give up something in ultimate dry grip, but in return I can survive arriving on a pass with 4 inches of snow on it in August! I think that is a good tradeoff – your opinion may vary.

I have the deepest respect for people who want and own garage queens. It is your car and you can do what you want with it. Without doubt your garage queen looks better than my long distance grand touring sports car. Isn’t it nice we have a choice?

By the way, “driven in all 48 contiguous states” means stopping and, at a minimum, having feet on the ground. In just about all states it means having a meal and/or spending the night. As I said earlier, I have been in most of the states multiple times. Has anyone else taken their NSX to all 48 states?

Mark

I have friends with ultra low mile cars that are 20+ years old, or "too nice to drive" Italian money pits. I just think they are saving the cars for somebody else to enjoy someday. Had a new camaro, thats a car to park for a few decades as it was terrible to drive.

My was a daily driver for the longest and stayed outside (although waxed religiously and covered when possible). Now I have a garage and it stayed garaged and not driven in the rain. I do drive it when possible and enjoy it just as much as I did when I first bought it. If I had more free time, I'd drive it more! Love driving it! Why wouldn't you!? If you want to preserve one, buy you a hot wheels and keep it in a box!

Not me, but I'd love to. I'd guess I've got between 25 and 30 states in my car. Quite a few 3000+ mile trips.

Nothing wrong with 25-30 states. Frankly, after two summers of 7 and 8000 mile trips, I think 3000 miles is about the best number.

I had about the same number of states two summers ago when I thought about how to cover all 48. In 2009 I created a trip to and through the south that a double jointed rattle snake could not follow. It was a 33 day trip, but about 3 weeks was not a lot of driving, just friends and attractions (Falling Water - Frank Lloyd Wright in PA, Colonial Williamsburgh in VA, etc) with my wife. I covered 25 states on that trip, about 18-20 of them new ones.

This year I had only 7 to finish -- New England and SD. (I planned to do SD in 2009, but the forest fires in Yellowstone closed the East Park Entrance, and it would have been an extra 600 miles to pick it up last year. Since I had to meet my wife in OH on a deadline, I simply left SD to this year.)

I think I am hanging up my long distance spurs for now. I'll find something else to do.

Was a driver. Ever since I got a lab who sheds like crazy (and goes everywhere with me), it's a garage queen.

Thought of maybe leaving the dog at home and taking out the NSX? Dogs can run your life can't they. I know what you mean about pets but you gotta draw the line somewhere when it comes to driving your NSX! :smile:

Thought of maybe leaving the dog at home and taking out the NSX? Dogs can run your life can't they. I know what you mean about pets but you gotta draw the line somewhere when it comes to driving your NSX! :smile:

She goes to work with me every day.

hows about the drag racers......:eek:

Would that make them "Drag Queens?"

Mine would be classified under Garage Queen... Sunny Days, weekends mostly... 1,500 to 3,000 yearly.... isn't always in da garage...

- Rod

Mine is a weekend driver (Spring-Summer-Fall), when weather permits.

I'm weird; worst of both worlds. My car is a Garage Queen but has the filth and neglect of a daily driver. In other words, my car sits in the garage, but it's filthy dirty and I neglect it horribly. I just don’t have time for it so it just sits there. It’s a shame as 600 hp has never moved any slower. :frown: It really needs to be with a more deserving driver who is going to take it out more, but I doubt anyone would every buy it. :frown:

Is it still a Queen if there are two? Or are they Princesses?

2009-06-01_230_SL_0051.jpg

2009-06-01_230_SL_0021.jpg

Garage QUEEN and proud of it.

Last edited:
I'm weird; worst of both worlds. My car is a Garage Queen but has the filth and neglect of a daily driver. In other words, my car sits in the garage, but it's filthy dirty and I neglect it horribly. I just don’t have time for it so it just sits there. It’s a shame as 600 hp has never moved any slower. :frown: It really needs to be with a more deserving driver who is going to take it out more, but I doubt anyone would every buy it. :frown:

I am on my way to Vegas, and I am bringing my bucket.

P

I daily drive mine. I wont drive in snow. I did get caught in a light flurry once but it wasnt a big deal.

I totally agree with the person who said, "if you don't drive your car you are just saving it for the next owner to enjoy!" I saw this first hand when I bought a car and barely drove it for a 2 years. After I sold it I felt bad that I wasted all that time owning it sitting in my garage. I drive my car whenever I can but since I have 3 cars and one is a company car for commuting I don't put a lot of miles on either of my garaged cars. I am not afraid to track my nsx though. I think that is the best place to drive it and see how it feels.

I would love to have VegasNSX's car except I can't fit in his seats. You have to weigh 165 lbs or less to squeeze in his race seats. I am too fat for his car.

Would that make them "Drag Queens?"

Mine would be classified under Garage Queen... Sunny Days, weekends mostly... 1,500 to 3,000 yearly.... isn't always in da garage...

- Rod

Thankyou for kindly aknowledging my lame atempts at humor:redface:

NP Doc....

I was surprised reading through the posts that nobody picked up on your drag ... drivers vs queens.

Maybe great minds think alike or we are just both lame.

I totally agree with the person who said, "if you don't drive your car you are just saving it for the next owner to enjoy!"

What if you drive it often enough to enjoy it, and never sell it?

BTW- this is all silly argument IMO. Every person enjoys things in a different way.

Let me ask all of you "drivers" a rhetorical-

Are you really exercising that NSX while you are running out for groceries, or sitting in traffic on your commute to the office?

I find the idea of driving a sports car everyday as ludicrous as the idea of driving my sedan, or my SUV at the track.

The NSX is for a run to enjoy the changing foliage. The NSX is suited for the twisty roads that go nowhere in particular, or a cruise on a warm summer evening that might get a bit athletic if the traffic is sparse and the mood is right.

That's not to say I disapprove of your choice to enjoy your NSX differently. I understand you guys love your cars, and I applaud your sacrifice. Personally when I am sitting in traffic on my commute to the office every day I prefer heated seats, an automatic transmission, and a functional cup holder.

I think daily driving an NSX is like using thoroughbred to pull the plow.

But that's just me.

P

Last edited:
Back