• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Header Thread * Which Makes Most HP per $$? Best Bang

So I ask, Which Header available is the BEST BANG for your BUCK!??

- DC Sports - $1400 - No Modification - HP Gains = 3-8 (real world dyno)

no modification !?!?!
I'm happy with the result in terms of HP gained but about Modification...if you want I can send you pics that show what I was forced to do to install both the headers on my car: cut,bend,weld,cut car subframe,grind.....

Last edited:
Brilliant thread NSX1145,
Surely this is the most important thread on prime for those interested in improving the performance of their motors. After all HEADERS are the weak link in the power chain, specially on the NA1's. Whether your interested in NA or FI which Headers to fit seems to be the first decision we all have to make.

Maybe it's because a lot of owners fitted their headers years ago but I am staggered there is not more detailed information and comparisons shared on this subject.
Questions answered like:

• Which header makes the most power?
  • Which header & exhaust combination makes the most power?
  • Which H & E makes the most power and is also liveable on the road? (No drone)
  • Will a free flowing FI header and exhaust system also work on an NA motor or do we need a system specific for each set up?
I am sure there are a lot more questions regarding this subject. I am equally sure there are a lot of Forum members with answers. So guys please chime in and share your experience and knowledge to help NSX1145 compile something that will help everyone. Any/all feedback is worth sharing.
TYSAMA.

Brilliant thread NSX1145,
Surely this is the most important thread on prime for those interested in improving the performance of their motors. After all HEADERS are the weak link in the power chain, specially on the NA1's. Whether your interested in NA or FI which Headers to fit seems to be the first decision we all have to make.

Maybe it's because a lot of owners fitted their headers years ago but I am staggered there is not more detailed information and comparisons shared on this subject.
Questions answered like:

• Which header makes the most power?
  • Which header & exhaust combination makes the most power?
  • Which H & E makes the most power and is also liveable on the road? (No drone)
  • Will a free flowing FI header and exhaust system also work on an NA motor or do we need a system specific for each set up?
I am sure there are a lot more questions regarding this subject. I am equally sure there are a lot of Forum members with answers. So guys please chime in and share your experience and knowledge to help NSX1145 compile something that will help everyone. Any/all feedback is worth sharing.
TYSAMA.
Like i said before it's impossible to accurately predict the gains on a given car.
In the NA section there is a lengthy detailed explanation by me and others on the subject on how dyno comparison work and the underlying facts.

To cut a long story short,
You can't just compare header between different cars and dyno runs, nether can you stack performance figures up with out calculating the full performance system and modification variables.

In answer to your FI vs NA header question, there are very few FI specific (supercharger) headers on the market I think it's only two or three.
Those won't be optimal on a regular NA car as they are designed for more gas flow due to the forced induction.

Next to the simple fact that any accurate comparison is hard and time consuming to make, we should actually be comparing the mathematical proprieties and design characteristic.

Also are you looking for torque or high revving HP, it's after all the torque you will notice most in daily driving.

This is great info...how accurate is that 3/4" measurement for 95 application.. Would I be safe to modify prior to starting the install or would I have to test fit?
I would like to have them ceramic coated and would prefer not to have the down time.

Since you have a 2000 you can cross the Top Speed off the list. Even though they claim their NA2 headers are for 97-2005, they are actually 97-99. The rear bank is 3/4" too long.

NSX-97-99-vs-00-05-Header-D_zpsbdfcc7c4.jpg

Last edited:
As already stated the best bang for buck would be buying used 97 and up headers..

Like i said before it's impossible to accurately predict the gains on a given car.
In the NA section there is a lengthy detailed explanation by me and others on the subject on how dyno comparison work and the underlying facts.

To cut a long story short,
You can't just compare header between different cars and dyno runs, nether can you stack performance figures up with out calculating the full performance system and modification variables.

In answer to your FI vs NA header question, there are very few FI specific (supercharger) headers on the market I think it's only two or three.
Those won't be optimal on a regular NA car as they are designed for more gas flow due to the forced induction.

Next to the simple fact that any accurate comparison is hard and time consuming to make, we should actually be comparing the mathematical proprieties and design characteristic.

Also are you looking for torque or high revving HP, it's after all the torque you will notice most in daily driving.

Thanks A.S.MOTORSPORT,

I am fully aware of the difficulty to find accurate information. However any/all feedback from owners who have actually fitted Headers etc. is worthwhile. Filtering through this feedback will help any perspective purchasers make a better decision. What is the alternative, manufactures make any claim they like without the consumer keeping them honest? I know it's true, but if we keep using the old "dyno's aren't accurate" chestnut then no one can share any of their experiences.

This forum has any number of threads discussing the sound differences between systems but this thread seems to be aimed at members who care about what performance gains different Headers will return.

Thanks for confirming there is a difference between what is required on NA compared to FI headers.

Both torque & HP -- although torque is more important to me.

I'll be cheeky and ask you which header, with your experience, would you fit to your own NA car? (Accompanied by all the normal bolt on NA stuff only)

Cheers, TYSAMA.

I wonder which header proves good gains on a 97+ since they already have the better "Oem" headers to start off with but I'm sure more improvement can be obtained...

I wonder which header proves good gains on a 97+ since they already have the better "Oem" headers to start off with but I'm sure more improvement can be obtained...

SoS, Taitec, Fujitsubo, Lovefab and RF Yamamoto (sold as GT-One) all will show gains on NA2, but not much. The factory design is very good.

I think the best bang for the buck headers other than the Factory NA2 (which I have on my car) are the CT Engineering. Fitment is perfect every time, which is a big deal and can save you lots in labor cost. Also, these headers are race-proven and durable. If I did not have OEM, I would go with CT. I just don't think it it is worth it to pay 1 or 2 thousand more $$ for 5 more hp.

I have 2 NSX.
One turbo, and one other 100% stock.
I have the stock header, a new OBX header in a box, and a old TopSpeed header in a box.
I have a dynometer, so you will have my result in some weeks with my stock NSX.
Awesome! I look forward to your dyno results with your stock NSX. I'm putting on the Pride headers this weekend and then hopefully have some time to dyno the car as welll to see what I'm sitting at.

NSX 1145: Thanks for this great thread. You may not remember but, I visited your shop a few months ago. You have an awesome shop and a lot of great products for our cars. Anyway, I was considering headers for my 02 Imola. After reading this thread it looks like the gain in HP on an NA2 is so minor that $1,500 for headers would be wasted money. I'm glad I read this before I pulled that trigger. I am looking into installing the SOS large throttle body so I guess I need to look up those threads as well. ----- Ed

Some more detail picture on the KSP headers.

KSP do make one of the best mergers/collectors on NSX headers, there are only Two other in Japan that I've seen producing such a smooth long merger.
1_014004000001.jpg
3_014004000001.jpg
5_014004000001.jpg

Other improvements in the exhaust lines are change the system configuration as nearly all NSX exhaust systems run a 6-2-2 with ether a H or X pipe in connecting the two banks.
Then you have the total pipe length differences in the mufflers, TaiTec JGTC, FN09 and RFY V1 give long runner lengths, whilst others (extreme example would be a Arm's center exit) run much shorter total pipe length.
This effects torque curve.

Also a full KSP exhaust system is a 6-2-1 which runs a dual exit muffler after joining the banks for about 2 feet.
There are also more extreme layouts which run additional loops to give a very long 6-2-1 layout.

We will be posting these up in the vendor section probably next week or so I'm first going to discusses some details with the manufacturer.
these designs together with the KSP style layout go further than regular NSX exhausts.

Here is a full KSP 6-2-1 installed:
3_014001000008.jpg

2_014001000008.jpg

Last edited:
Other improvements in the exhaust lines are change the system configuration as nearly all NSX exhaust systems run a 6-2-2 with ether a H or X pipe in connecting the two banks.
Then you have the total pipe length differences in the mufflers, TaiTec JGTC, FN09 and RFY V1 give long runner lengths, whilst others (extreme example would be a Arm's center exit) run much shorter total pipe length.
This effects torque curve.

Also a full KSP exhaust system is a 6-2-1 which runs a dual exit muffler after joining the banks for about 2 feet.
There are also more extreme layouts which run additional loops to give a very long 6-2-1 layout.

What is the advantage of 6-2-1 over 6-2-2?

They look restrictive compared to the ones I have with the widest collectors for ANY NSX headers in the world.

acura-nsx-headers.jpg

2.5" thick

If the collectors are too wide, don't you start to lose abit of torque due to insufficient back pressure? Apparently the RFY headers were designed and re-designed 5 times. The merger angle was tried and tested with 14 degrees seemingly the optimum angle for superior torque? The KSP and RFY Headers seem to be exceptional quality, but you get what you pay for.

Also i fail to see how these headers would not make a difference on an NA2? The design to the stock NA2 is completely different with much longer bends and tubing? The standard NA2 headers are still rather restrictive in design.

For Superchargers, namely positively displacement blowers like the SOS SC the widest collectors makes the most sense to me.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NekTRPx68zs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The KSY are not that impressive considering what the domestics have access too.

cutaway_big.gif

merge_03.jpg

When it comes to blowers and exhaust the Domestic folks are light years ahead of the imports...

A charger is indeed a very different story,
Exhaust gas wise your increasing displacement of the engine necessitating larger piping.

NA is a different story.

^

Agreed. If anyone wants to look at good collector designs take a look at the headers from Formula one. They have built the highest hp/liter naturally aspirated engines in existence. Definitely not what you see in the domestic world.

+1
Very helpful info... just bought the DC headers from Mark at Dali - he says it should fit just fine...hope he's right!

Excellent thread!

Back