• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda Listening to Consumers? New 2012 Acura TL Reveiled

Acura finally decided to refresh the TL after two years. Could have been slightly better, but still a huge improvement from the previous model.

The 2012 TL's refined new look includes a redesigned front bumper with improved aerodynamics, a revised grille, updated headlights and turn signals, a new fog light design and a shorter front overhang. At the rear, a new rear bumper incorporates a significantly repositioned license plate opening and smaller rear reflectors, while updated taillights and a thinner rear trunk edge trim add to a sophisticated new look.

2012acuratlfront.jpg

2012acuratlside.jpg

2012acuratlprofile.jpg

2012acuratlrear.jpg

http://hondanews.com/channels/acura...ned-2012-acura-tl-debuts-at-chicago-auto-show

Previous version:

new-acura-tl.jpg

htup_0905_03_z+2009_acura_tl_sh_awd_test_drive+acura_tl_rear_view.jpg

Looks better than previous gen but I thought they took a turn for the worse on that one so not saying much...Hyundai and even Kia designs have been impressing me more than Honda of late:frown:

it's how Honda/Acura do their thang...

Honda Listening to Consumers? New 2012 Acura TL Reveiled

Acura finally decided to refresh the TL after two years. Could have been slightly better, but still a huge improvement from the previous model...
Actually, it's very doubtful such changes were consumer-influenced.

The current 4th gen' TL was released as a 2009 model, offered as-is for '09-'10-'11 models. Now, it's been "refreshed" as-per its MMC (Mid Model Change) as a 2012 model, after three years into its product-cycle.

This is generally how Honda/Acura do it w/ their shared Accord-TL platform (Marysville, OH).

The 8th gen' USDM Accord sedan was released as a 2008 model, offered as-is for '08-'09-'10 models. Then, it was "refreshed" as-per its MMC (Mid Model Change) as a 2011 model, after three years into its product cycle.

And yes, the 4th gen' TL has some very polarizing design/style cues that didn't seem to appeal to many individuals!

Last edited:
A turd is a turd, they just tried to church it up a bit.

Okay, it is now less hideous. But this version lacks any character or personality. I guess bland and boring is better than ugly and unappealing. :rolleyes:

And it STILL doesn't grab me like the 3G TL.

Re: it's how Honda/Acura do their thang...

Actually, it's very doubtful such changes were consumer-influenced.

The current 4th gen' TL was released as a 2009 model, offered as-is for '09-'10-'11 models. Now, it's been "refreshed" as-per its MMC (Mid Model Change) as a 2012 model, after three years into its product-cycle.

This is generally how Honda/Acura do it w/ their shared Accord-TL platform (Marysville, OH).

The 8th gen' USDM Accord sedan was released as a 2008 model, offered as-is for '08-'09-'10 models. Then, it was "refreshed" as-per its MMC (Mid Model Change) as a 2011 model, after three years into its product cycle.

And yes, the 4th gen' TL has some very polarizing design/style cues that didn't seem to appeal to many individuals!

I don't think it's a coincidence. Why would they change the dreaded beak and rear end? Those design cues were attacked the most by consumers and the media. Aesthetic MMC are prompted for a reason.

Okay, it is now less hideous. But this version lacks any character or personality. I guess bland and boring is better than ugly and unappealing. :rolleyes:

And it STILL doesn't grab me like the 3G TL.

I agree. I had a loaner last week when I brought in my RL for some warranty work. The interior is really not that great either. Too busy and too many cheap materials IMHO.

With Honda/Acura change isn't always good, but this time it is!

I don't think it's a coincidence. Why would they change the dreaded beak and rear end? Those design cues were attacked the most by consumers and the media.
What if I told you the changes to the "dreaded beak and rear end" were already penned as MMC updates prior to the then-new '09 TL model being released? :D

The changes to the '11 Accord sedan & '12 TL were already planned years ago. Whether the '08-'10 Accord sedan was a high-selling model (which it was) or underachieved & the '09-'11 TL had substantial sales or flamed'out (which it did), these changes were going to happen. Trust me, if there's one thing I know well - it's the Inspire/Accord-TL platform (past/present/future)! :p

What's interesting in this case is that the MMC "refresh"/revision happens to be unarguably a notable improvement by any & all accounts, not just an updated & current revision!

By now, we all should know how stubborn Honda/Acura is when it comes to actual consumer whims & wants. Father Honda knows bests... has become a cliché.

synth19 said:
Aesthetic MMC are prompted for a reason.
... to get existing owners to trade-in their current models for something newer, fresher and more exciting - oh yeaaa baby! ;)

Welcome to planned obsolescence. . .

duplicate
pls delete

Last edited:
the stupid ugly huge oversize chrome/silver grill is still on
:rolleyes:

I hate that grill! Honda/Acura is NOT listening!
They need to ditch that design.

Still FUGLY!!!!

There are after market grill avail for the TL and it give the car a cleaner look.
here is one of them that i like.

the car looks better. my 2 cent,

it’s sad to see that aftermarket parts looks better than the OEM design,

attachment.php

Last edited:
Someone said it.. a turd is still a turd.

c'mon... how hard is it to design an nice looking sedan? Even Subaru can do it.

subaru_impreza_f34_ns_20811_815.jpg

You should check out the new Kia optima which look sway better than the TL

2011-kia-optima-3.jpg

2011-kia-optima-00.jpg

2011+kia+optima

If i saw this car in the street not knowing what it is, it would've stood out enough ( in a good way ) for me to follow to see just what it is.

I happen to think it looks pretty hot. Plus it's now offered in the Advanced Trim/AWD combo. The Technology is amazing. I love the NAVI controls and functionality. From the built in Zagat guide, Traffic updates, and Weather radar map it's lights years away from any other car company. The HPT 19' wheels also look sick too. I prefer my ZDX but might have to snaggle one of these puppies instead. Im getting tired of the 14 mpg and awful blind spots. :frown:

I happen to think it looks pretty hot. Plus it's now offered in the Advanced Trim/AWD combo. The Technology is amazing. I love the NAVI controls and functionality. From the built in Zagat guide, Traffic updates, and Weather radar map it's lights years away from any other car company. The HPT 19' wheels also look sick too. I prefer my ZDX but might have to snaggle one of these puppies instead. Im getting tired of the 14 mpg and awful blind spots. :frown:

Me too. I just wish the Advance also included CMBS and ACC.

Me too. I just wish the Advance also included CMBS and ACC.

Bro,
I HATE that CMBS and ACC. Living and driving in NJ/NYC makes it a pain in the ass. Best part of the Advanced is the Cooled seats and Blind spot indicators.

Bro,
I HATE that CMBS and ACC. Living and driving in NJ/NYC makes it a pain in the ass. Best part of the Advanced is the Cooled seats and Blind spot indicators.

:biggrin: Come out here! Plenty of room to roam.

Back