• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda NSX prototype runs the ‘ring in 7:37

Not fast enough? What is fast enough for you? What will do it for you? :confused:

It's plenty fast for me personally but if Honda wants to sell these cars they need to be right there on paper with the GT-R/LF-A.

Unless of course it's got something really special and I don't see that happening. If the price is right or the looks are there they could get away with a little performance deficit but I don't see that.

So what's the point in building this car if all they can do is keep up with the competition?

The NSX was special because it was AHEAD of the competition... any competition for half the price. There wasn't a cheaper car that could beat it at it's own game in stock form.

Now I feel like the new NSX is to super cars what the Saturn Sky is to Roadsters... just another option, but nothing much better than what is already out there.

Meh...

So what's the point in building this car if all they can do is keep up with the competition?

The NSX was special because it was AHEAD of the competition... any competition for half the price. There wasn't a cheaper car that could beat it at it's own game in stock form.

Now I feel like the new NSX is to super cars what the Saturn Sky is to Roadsters... just another option, but nothing much better than what is already out there.

Meh...

Not true the ZR1 that was out at the time was cheaper and had better performance. NSX beat the 348 , 911. Lotus was faster but couldn't match the NSX in braking and cornering.

NSX was special because it was a "real" car back when exotics were basically junky kit cars that specialized in looks and performance but rarely ran right.

Problem most people forget or just didn't know what the NSX specialized in was it's civility that went with it's numbers. I old enough to remember what pieces of crap most sportscars were back then. The NSX offered sportscar performance with reliability , civility and durability. It changed the way sportscars were made.

This new car will be cheaper than it's European competition which seems to be the Aston DB9 and Ferrari 599. Topgear loves the 599 but apparently it's problematic. I don't know what kind of troubles the DB9 has but since British build quality is an oxymoron I'm sure they're numerous.

This replacement is nothing like the Saturn is to it's segment as it will bring Honda reliability , practicality , durability and great MPG to a sportscar segment that doesn't have it.

If you look up old NSX articles you'll see what made it great.

Not true the ZR1 that was out at the time was cheaper and had better performance. NSX beat the 348 , 911. Lotus was faster but couldn't match the NSX in braking and cornering.

NSX was special because it was a "real" car back when exotics were basically junky kit cars that specialized in looks and performance but rarely ran right.

Problem most people forget or just didn't know what the NSX specialized in was it's civility that went with it's numbers. I old enough to remember what pieces of crap most sportscars were back then. The NSX offered sportscar performance with reliability , civility and durability. It changed the way sportscars were made.

This new car will be cheaper than it's European competition which seems to be the Aston DB9 and Ferrari 599. Topgear loves the 599 but apparently it's problematic. I don't know what kind of troubles the DB9 has but since British build quality is an oxymoron I'm sure they're numerous.

This replacement is nothing like the Saturn is to it's segment as it will bring Honda reliability , practicality , durability and great MPG to a sportscar segment that doesn't have it.

If you look up old NSX articles you'll see what made it great.

Great point. However, it's my understanding that GT's are usually not bought for performance purposes. There are for "touring". So what's the big deal with ring times and numbers? You don't see Masaerti and Ferrari posting ring times for the GT and 599. They know that their buyers aren't interested in that.

And at $100+ who's going to purchase this car? The Jay Leno's of the world that already have a gazillion other cars in their stock and just pick up the next new thing?

I mean honestly, for "regular" people like myself that have a DD and a toy, who would choose THIS as their "other" car? I'd take a 911 Turbo over this car anyday, or the R8, or a used 360 or a V8 Vantage or a Masareti GT or even a used Bentley GT.

You guys were right. Honda should have made an "exotic" low slung, futuristic looking, engine behind the seats, 2 seater sports car to compete with the R8. It didn't have to perform as well as the GT-R, but maybe like the S2000, just be a great all around car.

If they priced that around $65,000 then maybe it will sell.

Great point. However, it's my understanding that GT's are usually not bought for performance purposes. There are for "touring". So what's the big deal with ring times and numbers? You don't see Masaerti and Ferrari posting ring times for the GT and 599. They know that their buyers aren't interested in that.

And at $100+ who's going to purchase this car? The Jay Leno's of the world that already have a gazillion other cars in their stock and just pick up the next new thing?

I mean honestly, for "regular" people like myself that have a DD and a toy, who would choose THIS as their "other" car? I'd take a 911 Turbo over this car anyday, or the R8, or a used 360 or a V8 Vantage or a Masareti GT or even a used Bentley GT.

You guys were right. Honda should have made an "exotic" low slung, futuristic looking, engine behind the seats, 2 seater sports car to compete with the R8. It didn't have to perform as well as the GT-R, but maybe like the S2000, just be a great all around car.

If they priced that around $65,000 then maybe it will sell.

Well the ring is a great testing run and Honda has never posted ring times even though there are ring times for even the first NA1 NSX-R. Honda was "caught" there testing and someone did a time not Honda. So apparently Honda isn't posting ring times either.

Doesn't take a Jay Leno to purchase something like this and even in these economic times there a plenty of customers to purchase it.

The I'd rather buy used mentality is the reason why Honda doesn't target the NSX group. To those who bought a new NSX and loved it there's the thought process of heck I'll keep my NSX and just add this one. You have to understand not everyone wants a used car and this is who Honda is targeting.

There's still some debate as to weather this is the NSX replacement and your last statement pretty much sums up what most people are saying this car doesn't look like a $100k+ car. So this may just be a new car going to the Acura line up and not the real deal.

Do you believe the "engineers" or you believe in their executives? Nissan's brilliant Lebanese born Renault CEO will not make a car unless there are profits to be made. The post R34, AKA R35 is a Global car, no longer JDM only, which will allow them to make $h!T loads of money on that car. Let me put it this way, why would Nissan built R32/33/34 for over 15 years in JDM only market if they didn't make any money with those cars? the R35 is TWICE the price of R34 and it's a Global Market car!!!!

If the production of the car exceeds 6000 units per year, the profit margin will be even greater.

Don't believe every thing you see on the Internet. Engineer's job is to design the car.

Well, I didn't say that I totally believed him. I just brought up the fact that the engineer said it in an interview and he was representing Nissan at that moment. Is he full of shit? Sure he could be. I'm well aware of what an engineer's job is and it is obviously clear that Nissan let the engineers influence too much with the GTR's substance especially in the looks (the actual DESIGN) department.

Let's be realistic though, 6000 GTRs sold per year? Not likely. Nissan could produce 6000 GTRs if they wanted to and sell them all eventually, but they chose to only produce less than half of that number for a reason. Why would they only sell a couple of thousand GTRs if they are making a $30k profit for each car. I'm sure Nissan will make a decent profit if not at least cover their manufacturing costs. Nonetheless, it will never acheive profit margins of say their other models sold like the Altima. I am basing this on the US sales obviously, cause they probably could have sold 6000 GTRs in the US for the first year, but they chose not to.

i think it'd look better in real life, but i'd still rather have my nsx :cool:

as for the R8 - anybody else not that impressed by its looks? maybe if they didn't facelift all their cars to look similar to it..... also, it doesn't have that drop dead exotic look.... first time (and subsequent times) i saw one driving around i wasn't that impressed. good looking car, but not good enough looking for what it is.

I first saw the NSX when i was 11 years old when it first came out and fell in love with it to this day even though it's discontinued.
Im 28 now and will be owning one soon. No matter if u know about cars or not.......u simply cannot ignore an NSX when u see one. The car was and still is drop dead gorgeous. The R8, GTR, LFA and new Honda sports car don't do that for me. You guys have a classic and ill soon be joining you!

i think it'd look better in real life, but i'd still rather have my nsx :cool:

as for the R8 - anybody else not that impressed by its looks? maybe if they didn't facelift all their cars to look similar to it..... also, it doesn't have that drop dead exotic look.... first time (and subsequent times) i saw one driving around i wasn't that impressed. good looking car, but not good enough looking for what it is.

+100 I don't care for the R8 at all.

+100 I don't care for the R8 at all.

c'mon, you were one of the very few all excited about the ASCC, and you're saying the you don't care for the R8, which looks 1000x better than the ASCC. :rolleyes::wink:

c'mon, you were one of the very few all excited about the ASCC, and you're saying the you don't care for the R8, which looks 1000x better than the ASCC. :rolleyes::wink:

Eh mans trash:biggrin:

Besides I know how well VW's/Audis hold up over time:wink:

+ 1, with a little Viper thrown in.

:frown:

Not doing it for me. And 7:37 isn't nearly fast enough.

That is nearly 20 seconds faster than the beloved NSX-R you know. It is pretty damn good.

Personally I think it needs to be faster than a ZR1 if it going to be priced in the $100-120K territory.

Well, maybe, but with the added weight of Sh-AWD, Navigation, Bluetooth and all the tech goodies..it wouldn't necessarily need to be faster...but at least keep up. :)

Personally I think it needs to be faster than a ZR1 if it going to be priced in the $100-120K territory.

So you want a HONDA to beat the Corvette on the track - At the same price as the Corvette even though you KNOW it's going to be NA with all the quality interior/exterior goodies that are better than the Chevy? You're asking a lot considering the fact that the US dollar is weak and US is the biggest market for Honda.:confused:

The Corvette is pertty much production ready and the new Honda is still 2 years away.

Regardless, 7:37 right now is just the initial prototype run. They will probably do some thing to make you smile in terms of performance, but maybe not the price point.:wink:

Let's be realistic though, 6000 GTRs sold per year? Not likely. Nissan could produce 6000 GTRs if they wanted to and sell them all eventually, but they chose to only produce less than half of that number for a reason. Why would they only sell a couple of thousand GTRs if they are making a $30k profit for each car. I'm sure Nissan will make a decent profit if not at least cover their manufacturing costs. Nonetheless, it will never acheive profit margins of say their other models sold like the Altima. I am basing this on the US sales obviously, cause they probably could have sold 6000 GTRs in the US for the first year, but they chose not to.

6000 GTR per year globally will be a cake walk even for Nissan. 1/2 the price of Porsche Turbo and faster will absolutely earn those numbers and more!!! If they want to flood the market, they can sell 6000 unit just in the US alone.

Last edited:
So you want a HONDA to beat the Corvette on the track - At the same price of the Corvette even though you KNOW it's going to be NA with all the quality interior/exterior goodies that are better than the Chevy? You're asking a lot considering the fact that the US dollar is weak and US is the biggest market for Honda.:confused:

The Corvette is pertty much production ready and the new Honda is still 2 years away.

Regardless, 7:37 right now is just the initial prototype run. They will probably do some thing to make you smile in terms of performance, but maybe not the price point.:wink:

:agree: GM may be stepping up, but they won't have the tech goodies and upscale things like acura has. If the new NSX is as fast as the corvette, It's tech goodies will make up for the price difference.

Back