• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda NSX prototype runs the ‘ring in 7:37

It would make more sense for this to be a 60K car. I was just saying the other day that it looks like a 60K car. I honestly do not believe that the production level 60K msrp coupe will run a 7:30s unless Acura plans on losing money on this bad boy and turning it into the new halo car on the same path as the GTR. But perhaps they plan on making the NSX extremely profitable by inflating the msrp to 150K+ while the 60k new coupe/convert competes with the GTR.

From what the one guy says, the NSX replacement is still in heavy development and hidden under wraps. He goes on to say that this the new coupe model lineup and that the new NSX is still a long ways from completion. He then disappears for the next two pages. Sounds fishy, considering a 60k coupe doing 7:30. That means the new NSX has to eclipse that time by at least 10-15 secs and have the form/design to shut down traffic everywhere it goes.

Yeah agreed but it makes sense on the level that this could be a GT-R fighter and the NSX would be a LF-A fighter. Honda is certainly capable but I don't understand why you say they would lose money:confused: It would certainly sell and give them something until the NSX replacement comes out. I'm just not sure what engine is in it.

Yeah agreed but it makes sense on the level that this could be a GT-R fighter and the NSX would be a LF-A fighter. Honda is certainly capable but I don't understand why you say they would lose money:confused: It would certainly sell and give them something until the NSX replacement comes out. I'm just not sure what engine is in it.

Well it depends how many they build. They would have to build quite a few to offset the lower price, thus turning in a smaller profit, but larger quantity. Cost of production for one of these must be insanely high. Automatically you can guess that it's at least 40k in production.

5.5 V10 WITH cylinder deactivation
R-SHAWD (rear-wheel super handling all wheel drive)
Navi + tech goodies

Those alone are enough to throw it straight into a high price market. Then there's the assembly costs and whatnot. To put this at 60 - 70k could very well cause them to lose a lot of money, or break even. I would not be surprised if Honda took this route and breaks even for the first year and then has enough demand to add on to it. Because at 70 thousand, this will compete with the GTR, and many people will jump on it as something that eclipses a GTR, Corvette AND has the luxury of a 911 will surely want one.

And for those who want to drive it everyday, the cylinder deactivation, if working properly, they can get this to 20 - 26mpg set up, this automatically helps the car even more. Hell if they can break 30mpg SOMEHOW, i would not be surprised at how fast this would sell.

But in the end, to price it that low as the GTR, i don't believe it can be done. Especially since this is a brand new engine.

Then your question might be how Nissan is doing it...and my guess is that they counted on the MSRP hike up to buy them to make all their money and brought the V-spec right after to hike it up even more, then discontinue it when it starts to slow down, so they don't lose any money.

That or Nissan products are cheap. One or the other.

BUT:

What if this is the type S version of the car? Has that been taken into account then? To keep it at an MSRP it would need a V8 as it's main base, and then add power for the V10? So a V8 Coupe would be the normal, and the V10 would be the Type S model...and say the actual NSX when it arrives, if it arrives, would have the V10 standard and already very light compared to, thus being faster already.

Could that be what they're doing? So we won't see this car, until it comes out after the NSX, and what we'll get is a watered down V8? Really...isn't that the only way to do it, as to not hurt the cost or pricing of things?

Last edited:
I dont buy into the whole notion that this is not the NSX successor. Look at the front and rear ends of this car and it's almost exactly on par with the ASCC. I think some of you guys are still hoping they come out with a real MR evolution of the original masterpiece but i dont see that happening.
Not to mention.......how do you guys explain a V10, SHAWD coupe running in the 7:30 range with Acura build quality and classy interior?? The only car in that range that doesnt cost over 100K is the GTR but we can all see where they (Nissan) saved the money with the cheap looking interior.
Face it guys, this is your new honda flagship/halo whatever you want to call it!

I dont buy into the whole notion that this is not the NSX successor. Look at the front and rear ends of this car and it's almost exactly on par with the ASCC. I think some of you guys are still hoping they come out with a real MR evolution of the original masterpiece but i dont see that happening.
Not to mention.......how do you guys explain a V10, SHAWD coupe running in the 7:30 range with Acura build quality and classy interior?? The only car in that range that doesnt cost over 100K is the GTR but we can all see where they (Nissan) saved the money with the cheap looking interior.
Face it guys, this is your new honda flagship/halo whatever you want to call it!

Hey 6spd you work for Acura don't you? Had you heard anything different?

I'd seen Vtec.net had the rumor for sometime that a coupe was coming. Since this car is ( supposedly ) on a modified RL chassis it would kinda make since that it might possibly be a coupe as putting a $100-150k car on chassis shared by something in the $40-50k range would just kill it sales. Plus that sounds like a GM move not Honda.

For the record I honestly don't care if it is the NSX replacement or not I like it and hope to buy one as soon as I know I can get it for under sticker.

Pretty much no matter what Honda does most of the NSX guys here won't like it unless it performs like an F430 and costs as much as a used 91 NSX. Oh yeah it will have to flip up headlights too .. LOL

If this is NOT the successor would be fine by me...however that would mean:

The successor would have to have:
1) more power than this v10
2) be lighter weight and use exotic materials
3) be on a completely new chassis
4) be MR

and cost around $90K + if this other car is around $60k?????

I'm not buying the article that says it's running on a modified RL chassis because the same article calls this car a 2+2, when there is clearly no room for backseats.

Hey 6spd you work for Acura don't you? Had you heard anything different?

I'd seen Vtec.net had the rumor for sometime that a coupe was coming. Since this car is ( supposedly ) on a modified RL chassis it would kinda make since that it might possibly be a coupe as putting a $100-150k car on chassis shared by something in the $40-50k range would just kill it sales. Plus that sounds like a GM move not Honda.

For the record I honestly don't care if it is the NSX replacement or not I like it and hope to buy one as soon as I know I can get it for under sticker.

Pretty much no matter what Honda does most of the NSX guys here won't like it unless it performs like an F430 and costs as much as a used 91 NSX. Oh yeah it will have to flip up headlights too .. LOL

I work for Honda and they also own an Acura dealer and my guys over there did say that we're getting a few new models but none of them went to a secret meeting and i dont think the owner went either. The owner currently drives an 05 NSX (amongst a slew of other cars!) and he cant wait for whatever they plan to bring out so he can add it to the stable.

I read the posts on ToV and if it's right (this is all hearsay & conjecture/rumour of course) a $45-$60k coupe with lap times like that would shake the earth of other car companies and if it's NOT the next Acura Halo car / NSX replacement and we're still waiting for it, well then some one get me some paper towel! :biggrin:

I work for Honda and they also own an Acura dealer and my guys over there did say that we're getting a few new models but none of them went to a secret meeting and i dont think the owner went either. The owner currently drives an 05 NSX (amongst a slew of other cars!) and he cant wait for whatever they plan to bring out so he can add it to the stable.

Ah okay I just remember you mentioning working for or with Honda. Yeah someone else her mentioned a secret meeting with Honda and that Honda had two cars. One was supposed to be a MR and another was FR. So many rumors though. Don't you think it's odd we would see a prototype this far along so soon? We're just now seeing the Acura TL that's going to be released this fall.

I read the posts on ToV and if it's right (this is all hearsay & conjecture/rumour of course) a $45-$60k coupe with lap times like that would shake the earth of other car companies and if it's NOT the next Acura Halo car / NSX replacement and we're still waiting for it, well then some one get me some paper towel! :biggrin:

ROFLMAO

Well it depends how many they build. They would have to build quite a few to offset the lower price, thus turning in a smaller profit, but larger quantity. Cost of production for one of these must be insanely high. Automatically you can guess that it's at least 40k in production.

5.5 V10 WITH cylinder deactivation
R-SHAWD (rear-wheel super handling all wheel drive)
Navi + tech goodies

Those alone are enough to throw it straight into a high price market. Then there's the assembly costs and whatnot. To put this at 60 - 70k could very well cause them to lose a lot of money, or break even. I would not be surprised if Honda took this route and breaks even for the first year and then has enough demand to add on to it. Because at 70 thousand, this will compete with the GTR, and many people will jump on it as something that eclipses a GTR, Corvette AND has the luxury of a 911 will surely want one.

And for those who want to drive it everyday, the cylinder deactivation, if working properly, they can get this to 20 - 26mpg set up, this automatically helps the car even more. Hell if they can break 30mpg SOMEHOW, i would not be surprised at how fast this would sell.

But in the end, to price it that low as the GTR, i don't believe it can be done. Especially since this is a brand new engine.

Then your question might be how Nissan is doing it...and my guess is that they counted on the MSRP hike up to buy them to make all their money and brought the V-spec right after to hike it up even more, then discontinue it when it starts to slow down, so they don't lose any money.

That or Nissan products are cheap. One or the other.

BUT:

What if this is the type S version of the car? Has that been taken into account then? To keep it at an MSRP it would need a V8 as it's main base, and then add power for the V10? So a V8 Coupe would be the normal, and the V10 would be the Type S model...and say the actual NSX when it arrives, if it arrives, would have the V10 standard and already very light compared to, thus being faster already.

Could that be what they're doing? So we won't see this car, until it comes out after the NSX, and what we'll get is a watered down V8? Really...isn't that the only way to do it, as to not hurt the cost or pricing of things?

GTR can do it at a low price because it is a G37 with two giant turbo and 4WD, and that along doesn't constitude the $40k increase in price. My friend from Nissan corporate was telling me that GTR at dealer's invoice in making Nissan over $30k on each car!!!

Well one thing I will have to say, if this is not the car that will replace the NSX and instead another sub-NSX car Honda is making. Then we can't just dismiss the possibility that the motor in that is the NSXs successors engine... They were originally testing out the engine in an elongated S2000... whats to say that this is just the new sub-NSX's body with the NSX successors motor still being tested out in it. That could be why its running that fast because its not really the motor that will be in its final package. Again this is all speculation and just ideas I had but just wanted to throw that out.... Honda sure is good at leaving people clueless lol...

I've grown a passion of hate for that damn grill. I did see the blue TSX with the upgraded rims in the showroom which looked real good because that grill didn't stand out so much with that color. I still absolutely hate that grill!!

That new Acura grill ranks down there with Subaru's "wing" grills in 2007 (Imprezas & B9 Tribecas). All corporate nonsense. Anyone see the grills of the TSX/RL as the JDM Honda Accord/Legend? Looks halfway decent with those new headlights, til Acura had to screw it up with their stupid idea of brand image.

Every time I see the TV ads for the TSX, with all it's PR mentioning of refinement and luxury, I think about how the general public probably would not take such a commercial seriously had it been badged as a lowly Honda Accord.

Replace Nissan with Sony, Panasonic, etc. and this doesn't make sense. Mark ups are done for the benefit of the dealer. I doubt any extra money from a big score ever goes back to the manufacturer.

Halo cars typically never make any money. It's the Honda Civics, Toyota Prius, even Porches 911s, that are the companies' bread-and-butter.

GTR can do it at a low price because it is a G37 with two giant turbo and 4WD, and that along doesn't constitude the $40k increase in price. My friend from Nissan corporate was telling me that GTR at dealer's invoice in making Nissan over $30k on each car!!!

I forgot which video was it, but I saw a review on youtube where the head engineer said that this car will not make them any profit. It's meant to be a halo car to demostrate what Nissan is capable of.

I forgot which video was it, but I saw a review on youtube where the head engineer said that this car will not make them any profit. It's meant to be a halo car to demostrate what Nissan is capable of.

Do you believe the "engineers" or you believe in their executives? Nissan's brilliant Lebanese born Renault CEO will not make a car unless there are profits to be made. The post R34, AKA R35 is a Global car, no longer JDM only, which will allow them to make $h!T loads of money on that car. Let me put it this way, why would Nissan built R32/33/34 for over 15 years in JDM only market if they didn't make any money with those cars? the R35 is TWICE the price of R34 and it's a Global Market car!!!!

If the production of the car exceeds 6000 units per year, the profit margin will be even greater.

Don't believe every thing you see on the Internet. Engineer's job is to design the car.

Last edited:
So it's time to react.

This car is fugly no matter how fast it is. Honda is stupid to abandon the MR route but fortunately some crazy people will find a way to use this V10 in our NSX !!!

I repeat Honda is stupid and my money will certainly go to other manufacturers ...

It would be stupid to stop making a 911, a Corvette, a F430 ...

Stupid Honda ...

Sorry but that post was kinda silly...

They obviously stopped making NSX's because of the poor poor sales they were having. You can suggest better things to do but you are not honda/acura so im sure they pulled out for a good reason.

I think that calling this new car an NSX is pure rape to the real car and it should NOT be called an NSX, but whatever nothing we can do about it.

911's corvettes etc sell well, and very well.

By the way talking about vettes, the ZR 1 has JUST done a 7 26, this might be a repost cuz I didnt read the last few posts here.

Sorry but that post was kinda silly...

They obviously stopped making NSX's because of the poor poor sales they were having. You can suggest better things to do but you are not honda/acura so im sure they pulled out for a good reason.

I think that calling this new car an NSX is pure rape to the real car and it should NOT be called an NSX, but whatever nothing we can do about it.

911's corvettes etc sell well, and very well.

By the way talking about vettes, the ZR 1 has JUST done a 7 26, this might be a repost cuz I didnt read the last few posts here.

Exactly. It's not like the NSX was flying off the showroom floors. As unique as it was, it was an underperformer for it's price in it's twilight years. If Honda can keep the car under $80,000 and have it out perform the GT-R and ZR-1 then it will have another hit on it's hands.

To me, it makes no sense for Honda to come out with a car that will cost the same as or more than it's competition and only perform just as well.

Exactly. It's not like the NSX was flying off the showroom floors. As unique as it was, it was an underperformer for it's price in it's twilight years. If Honda can keep the car under $80,000 and have it out perform the GT-R and ZR-1 then it will have another hit on it's hands.

To me, it makes no sense for Honda to come out with a car that will cost the same as or more than it's competition and only perform just as well.

Uh if it outperforms the GT-R then it will be outperforming it's competition for much less than the cost of a 599 or F430 , DB9 etc.

Oh and under $80k for a V10 with all the tech Honda is putting into it:confused:

Well with the stock ZR-1 just running the ring in under 7:27 I think we can safely say that the odds of the new NSX being under $80k and outperforming both the GT-R and ZR-1 are effectively nil.

+ 1, with a little Viper thrown in.

:frown:

Not doing it for me. And 7:37 isn't nearly fast enough.

Not fast enough? What is fast enough for you? What will do it for you? :confused:

Well with the stock ZR-1 just running the ring in under 7:27 I think we can safely say that the odds of the new NSX being under $80k and outperforming both the GT-R and ZR-1 are effectively nil.

That's pretty much what I've been saying from day one. I just could not see how Honda could design a car to their exacting standards and get it as fast as the GT-R/ZR-1/LF-A particularly with an expensive, one-off engine like a high-output V-10 and keep the price under $80K.

I really thought something was fishy when they made all these fancy claims about what the ASCC would be able to do and all the exotic materials it would have and a V-10 and insist the price range would be around $70K. :rolleyes:

Nissan is able to do this because of a relatively cheap engine and no doubt less exacting standards of design.

I really don't see how this car, if it's the real deal, will cost less than $100K. And I'm sure Honda isn't interested in taking another loss like the NSX. I don't think that will work out well for them at that price, just as I still don't believe the LF-A will be a success at $150K+.

Back