• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda NSX prototype runs the ‘ring in 7:37

I don't think they are labeling it as "the next NSX" they are labeling it as "the NSX sucessor".. Well that is what my understanding of it all is. but it is true alot of people are already calling it the NSX.

No, the media is calling this an NSX or the next NSX.

I love the current NSX body style, always have, always will.

But...Honda was smart in targeting this market of Front Engined cars because that's what sells. Maserati - check, Ferrari - check, Nissan GTR - check, Jaguar XKR -check you get the idea...

I tell you if Honda can pull off this "NSX" then it will definately target more than just ourselves as enthusiasts it will reach an whole other portion of the population who wouldn't normally buy an exotic or "mid-engined, low slung" sportscar. Honda's looking for sales numbers and making this upscale front engined "NSX" is key to achieving great sales numbers.

I welcome this car and I'm hoping/praying it kills the GTR (fugly monster truck).

This is the point I've been making so good to see it again. This is NOT the new/replacement/updated NSX. It is a whole new, high performance flagship for the Honda / Acura brands with sales numbers the most obvious target. What would help enormously would be the F1 team getting its act together ahead of the launch!!

I was at the 'Ring over the weekend http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4995 with many European owners. Despite the rumour this new car is there testing, there was no sign of it ... maybe Honda got wind 20 original NSX owners were in the area and went into hiding :tongue:

Anyway, found these new artist images and have to say that the whole thing is growing on me ... and I truly hope they do not call it an NSX.

regards, Paul

Attachments

• NEW NSX front.jpg
    NEW NSX front.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 127
  • NEW NSX rear.jpg
    NEW NSX rear.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 118
Jetpilot3 said:
I love the current NSX body style, always have, always will.

But...Honda was smart in targeting this market of Front Engined cars because that's what sells. Maserati - check, Ferrari - check, Nissan GTR - check, Jaguar XKR -check you get the idea...

I tell you if Honda can pull off this "NSX" then it will definately target more than just ourselves as enthusiasts it will reach an whole other portion of the population who wouldn't normally buy an exotic or "mid-engined, low slung" sportscar. Honda's looking for sales numbers and making this upscale front engined "NSX" is key to achieving great sales numbers.

I welcome this car and I'm hoping/praying it kills the GTR (fugly monster truck).

It's exactly like what I was saying... Honda knows the NSX target group is tiny and not really profitable... (which I'm assuming they at least want to sell there cars. They start to make them and then a couple of years down they slow down production because demand is so low.... cough *NSX* cough) now the GT target group is much larger and imo more profitable.

I'm in the same boat as you... as much as I love the looks and feeling of the NSX....I wish honda the best of luck with this GT car so that maybe 10 years down the road they can design a great MR sports car instead of just giving up in the sport car market for some time.

+1 (pretty much sums up my feelings on the topic)

Last edited:
Think this will be handmade like the NSX?

To keep the price low, probably not. Since they did mention the car may be using the RL chassis. Will probably similar to Ferrari's assembly method.

The engine no doubt will be hand assembled.

Last edited:
To keep the price low, probably not. Since they did mention the car may be using the RL chassis. Will probably similar to Ferrari's assembly method.

The engine no doubt will be hand assembled.

What is Ferrari's method? I actually thought they were all handmade. For that price they should be!

I'm with Vance on this that if it's handmade the price will be $150K+. If it's assembled the price might surprise us and be closer to $100K which would be a a typical Honda bargain.

I still can't get over the fact that this car will have cylinder deactivation. A V10 running on 5 cylinders while on the freeway:eek: I was looking at a GT-R road test in MotorTrend and it averaged 10.2 mpg during the test. Honda is going to match/exceed that performance and double the fuel economy:eek::eek: Wow!

If $100 prices this car at around $100k so many cars in this price range are F*cked! Porsche , Aston Martin , BMW and Audi not to mention the LF-A are really screwed!

If $100 prices this car at around $100k so many cars in this price range are F*cked! Porsche , Aston Martin , BMW and Audi not to mention the LF-A are really screwed!

I would like to agree, but it didn't happen with the NSX. It comes down to brand and pedigree. Will people spend $100k for a Honda? The other brands have the prestige to sell cars like that. As great as the NSX was, it never dented the sales of Porsche, Ferrari etc... it did scare them enough to finally start building good cars though.

Last edited:
I would like to agree, but it didn't happen with the NSX. It comes down to brand and pedigree. Will people spend $100k for a Honda? The other brands have the prestige to sell cars like that. As great as the NSX was, it never dented the sales of Porsche, Ferrari etc... it did scare them enough to finally start building good cars though.

True enough but that was before Japanese cars were taken seriously. Let's not forget the $100k Lexus hybrid that had a waiting list. Japanese cars have changed the mindsets of several generations of buyers. The ad for the new car can be "Remember the NSX?" Honda does now have some clout in this department whereas before all they had was a curiosity. Can the Japanese really build a mid engine exotic at the time that was a serious question then in the 90's when the Japanese flooded the gates with supercars people stopped asking that question.

Lexus is saying that their LF-A will be $200k plus and nobody is laughing or questioning it's worth. Of course only time will tell but Japanese have made serious inroads into the Euro manufacturers pockets and are serious contenders nowadays as far as luxury cars go.

Well if the ZR1 is running 7:27, they should at least try to shave off another 10 seconds by production to satisfy bragging rights and magazine number loving goons.

I don't care if it does 7:30's. I want(ed) a mid engined, RWD modern day interpretation of the NSX. Heck all they had to do is "evolve" the NSX body style and add another 100 HP and most of us would be ecstatic.

Obviously, the knuckle heads at Honda didn't get the message.

I don't care if it does 7:30's. I want(ed) a mid engined, RWD modern day interpretation of the NSX. Heck all they had to do is "evolve" the NSX body style and add another 100 HP and most of us would be ecstatic.

Obviously, the knuckle heads at Honda didn't get the message.

i am certain they got the message... they just didn't agree with it :)

the bottom line is that WE here on prime are in the VERY small minority. there are simply not enough of us for honda to justify building a "natural" evolution of the NSX. honda is a business... and they are in business to make money. i have absolutely no doubt that this new car will be spectacular in its own way. will it be an NSX? no... and some folks here may hate it. but from a financial perspective... it will probably make honda more money than the NSX ever did.

i am certain they got the message... they just didn't agree with it :)

the bottom line is that WE here on prime are in the VERY small minority. there are simply not enough of us for honda to justify building a "natural" evolution of the NSX. honda is a business... and they are in business to make money. i have absolutely no doubt that this new car will be spectacular in its own way. will it be an NSX? no... and some folks here may hate it. but from a financial perspective... it will probably make honda more money than the NSX ever did.

If Soichiro Honda were still living today, we would have had our next NSX already. He wouldn't care if it weren't selling thousands a year. Civics and Accords make more money than the NSX ever did, so what. Making a killer profit with the NSX was never Mr. Honda's goal. I also think if Soichiro were still around, Honda wouldn't be doing as crappy in F1 as it is, and Honda cars wouldn't be as boring as they have gotten lately.

Note that the Honda did not pass the Porsche until the long straight away. That tells me two things:

1. Honda has mega power, much like Corvette ZR-1.
2. The mass of the Honda car hinders the handling. Can't pass Porsche on the corners. Either that, or the SH-AWD isn't optimally tuned much like GT-R.

Note that the Honda did not pass the Porsche until the long straight away. That tells me two things:

1. Honda has mega power, much like Corvette ZR-1.
2. The mass of the Honda car hinders the handling. Can't pass Porsche on the corners. Either that, or the SH-AWD isn't optimally tuned much like GT-R.

Or Honda used the Porche as a lead car.:rolleyes:

Since 911 is the unofficial Nurburgring car, I wouldn't be surprise they had a track personnel lead the car for some early laps. Also, they are NOT racing, there were plenty of footage with the new prototype without the 911 on front of it.

In this case, SHAWD is probably what's saving this car's track time since it is built on a modified RL chassis, which means it's not a light car.:wink:

In terms of the ZR1's track time, another 50 or so HP will probably match that.

say wuattt?

Vancehu said:
Since they did mention the car may be using the RL chassis...
...since it is built on a modified RL chassis
Who/what/why/when/where did you get this from?

Is this a broad generalization/assumption on your part or Honda has officially stated that their forthcoming sports-car/coupe/GT will based be off an existing or even future RL platform?

Possessing SH-AWD doesn't correlate into a shared platform, as a variant of the re-designed TL will also get SH-AWD eventually.

Last edited:
If Soichiro Honda were still living today, we would have had our next NSX already. He wouldn't care if it weren't selling thousands a year. Civics and Accords make more money than the NSX ever did, so what. Making a killer profit with the NSX was never Mr. Honda's goal. I also think if Soichiro were still around, Honda wouldn't be doing as crappy in F1 as it is, and Honda cars wouldn't be as boring as they have gotten lately.

that may be true... but that is an entirely different discussion :)

Re: say wuattt?

Who/what/why/when/where did you get this from?

Is this a broad generalization/assumption on your part or Honda has officially stated that their forthcoming sports-car/coupe/GT will based be off an existing or even future RL platform?

Possessing SH-AWD doesn't correlate into a shared platform, as a variant of the re-designed TL will also get SH-AWD eventually.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/224049/hondas_next_nsx.html

Shrouded in a zebra-like camouflage, Honda’s new V10 supercar finally broke cover this week. And it’s the latest step in a project to replace the NSX.

Our spies caught the model lapping the Nürburgring in Germany. Development has only just started, and engineers have two targets.

Firstly, they have been challenged to get the two-door’s suspension set-up just right. But more than that, Honda wants to build the fastest production model around the circuit. And while the mechanical tweaks will be familiar territory for the firm’s technicians, breaking the lap record will be no mean feat – as the newcomer’s rivals, the Nissan GT-R and Lexus LF-A, are both capable of sub-seven minute 30 second laps of the legendary 13-mile race track.

The as-yet-unnamed coupé will get a 550bhp 5.5-litre V10 with cylinder deactivation technology. That means it will shut down five cylinders when engine load is light, thus reducing fuel consumption and emissions. Torque is set to top 570Nm, too. One source told us the 2+2 will wear a ‘hybrid’ aluminium and steel body to reduce weight, and sit on a modified version of the US Acura RL saloon platform.

An eight-speed auto gearbox with paddleshifters is on the cards, while hi-tech four-wheel drive will provide the best possible traction.

Expect the newcomer to debut in late 2010 or early 2011, when it’s likely to cost upwards of £90,000.

Came from the source of the pictures

Damn, the thing looks good! I'm starting to like it!
If the car handles well, or comparatively to an S2000 (engine behind the front axle) it will be awesome!

Anyone looking to trade their NSX? I'd be considering it, but I'm broke. :frown:

Last edited:
el'buget`o

Thanks Vancehu! I'm quite surprised, but not overly shocked.

Using a shared platform, relatively speaking, this forthcoming Acura sports-car/coupe/GT should be able to under-cut the competition tremendously in the pocket-book aspect of things!

Deliver better performance, quality/durability, reliability than the competition costing up to 2x as much... a very reachable goal! :cool:

What I'm thinking, as of now...

Out-class other GT's who are at similar price-point as the new Acura (~$100k):
- Audi R8
- BMW M6
- Mercedes Benz SL_AMG
- Porsche 911 Turbo
- Aston Martin V8 Vantage
- Jaguar XK-R
- Maserati Gran' Turismo
- Cadillac XLR-V
- Nissan GT-R/V-spec

On par w/ other GT's who are nearly 2x the cost of the new Acura (~$175+):
- Aston Martin DB9/DBS
- Bentley Continental GT
- Ferrari California GT (forthcoming)
- Lexus LF-A (forthcoming)

Whoever wants a Lamborghini Gallardo/Superleggera, Ferrari F430/Scuderia, Lotus ESPRIT (forthcoming), etc' will get it... those are exotics that just appeal to the senses in a different way.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprise if Honda actually use more Aluminum for this particular chassis than steel. It make sense too for the future V8 RL replacement - more power, less weight, better fuel economy.

I'm not too concern whether the car is going to be hand built or robotic assembly line. S2k is a good proof that Honda can still produce "hand built quality" cars through mass production line.

Even if Honda decides to hand build this car, with existing/modified RL platform, the tooling will probably make the car cheaper to built than the NSX. The extra cost will of course be the interior features and four extra cylinders. If they decide to share same internal engine parts as the new RL, it will make it even cheaper. I believe they can get this car to the public for less than 120k; even 100k more optimistically.

Think about it. You get a lot of car for TL Type S and it has a MSRP of $38.5k.

LOL All of our debate my be for nought fellas as apparently this isn't the new NSX but a new coupe due out from Acura next year. Hence the modified RL chassis. Go figure!
http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=771708&news_item_id=771297

Apparently this is the sub nsx car we'd heard so many rumors about. And it does a 7:37:eek: Not sure if the guy is on point or not but it does seem a little early to be seeing the NSX replacement as we know how secretive honda is.

It also seems kinda strange that this is showing up so early since the NSX replacement isn't due for about two years. If it is the coupe BRAVO Honda! We know it will be priced under the M3 and it's already just crushed the M3 , IS-F , RS4 , R8 , Z06, 911TT , Cayman S , Ford GT Ring times for under $60k.

LOL All of our debate my be for nought fellas as apparently this isn't the new NSX but a new coupe due out from Acura next year. Hence the modified RL chassis. Go figure!
http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=771708&news_item_id=771297

Apparently this is the sub nsx car we'd heard so many rumors about. And it does a 7:37:eek: Not sure if the guy is on point or not but it does seem a little early to be seeing the NSX replacement as we know how secretive honda is.

It also seems kinda strange that this is showing up so early since the NSX replacement isn't due for about two years. If it is the coupe BRAVO Honda! We know it will be priced under the M3 and it's already just crushed the M3 , IS-F , RS4 , R8 , Z06, 911TT , Cayman S , Ford GT Ring times for under $60k.

It would make more sense for this to be a 60K car. I was just saying the other day that it looks like a 60K car. I honestly do not believe that the production level 60K msrp coupe will run a 7:30s unless Acura plans on losing money on this bad boy and turning it into the new halo car on the same path as the GTR. But perhaps they plan on making the NSX extremely profitable by inflating the msrp to 150K+ while the 60k new coupe/convert competes with the GTR.

From what the one guy says, the NSX replacement is still in heavy development and hidden under wraps. He goes on to say that this the new coupe model lineup and that the new NSX is still a long ways from completion. He then disappears for the next two pages. Sounds fishy, considering a 60k coupe doing 7:30. That means the new NSX has to eclipse that time by at least 10-15 secs and have the form/design to shut down traffic everywhere it goes.

Back