• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How can I replace OEM radio, keep the OEM speakers and use a hidden head unit.

Hi All,

My head unit is dead and it seems these units can't be repaired. I want to keep the vehicle looking 100% stock, but need the ability to play music through my phone. Additionally, I'd like to keep the bose speakers/amps.

1. Any advice on selecting a head unit that I can hide in the cabin?
It looks like marine stereos could do the job, but I'm not sure what would be best, or even what questions to ask.

2. What kind of connector do I need between the head unit and the bose speakers? Since the amp for the speakers are in the speakers themselves, I think I need some sort of connector, or line out, but I'm not sure.

Any other advice is welcome, but I'm not interested in modifying the dash in any way, or removing the bose speakers.

Thanks,
SWFL

While I think the Willmans modification is a great solution, a failed head unit is just the first of your problems. Next thing to go will be the individual amps running each speaker. Carefully think through your options as once you go down the Willmans route (big investment) you'll be committed to repairing your speaker amps once they start failing.

If you do the Willmans modification I would recommend taking a proactive approach and getting the speaker amps (three) replaced at the same time. Then your whole system will be current (and hopefully) trouble-free.

Last edited:
^ +1 !

I love my willman's "upgrade."

Mine was the 2nd or 3rd one he did. His current upgrade seems like it's much better than the one I had.

As mentioned, it's a good idea to the the speakers/amps refreshed by BrianK. I have 70% hearing loss in my left ear so to me the stereo sondes great. I had usually have to turn the mid range up in all of my cars.

I don't know what it costs to have the original speakers/amps rebuilt, but it has been stated on here that the two door speaker and amps, plus the centre speaker can be bought new from Bose for under $500.00.

I don't know what it costs to have the original speakers/amps rebuilt, but it has been stated on here that the two door speaker and amps, plus the centre speaker can be bought new from Bose for under $500.00.

BrianK will repair each amp for $90 each per his web site.

http://nsxe-repair.com/Speaker.html

Ditto on Willmans. I didn't have a clue what to do but Daryl patiently answered my several emails and explained my options, without pressure one way or the other. Yes it was a bit pricy but what isn't on these cars? It's worth the investment to have it looking stock and sounding great.
AJ

Get a cheap preamp from aliexpress for $10 and a generic Honda harness stereo connector. You can have a 3.5mm m/m audio cable plug into the preamp, which taps into the Bose inputs and away you go. Maybe cost you $30-$50.

Here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...those-wishing-to-stay-OEM)?highlight=PSA+Bose

You can buy the entire unit (speaker, enclosure, amp) directly from Bose, with warranty for $140 per speaker. I have replaced all three speakers in all four of my NSXs this way. Not taking away from BrianK, he does excellent work and is a friend. Just understand your options and make an informed opinion.

As to the head unit replacement in general, I saw someone put a wiring loom together to run their music directly from their iPod, without any connecting to the head unit. There is a way to do it, I just don't have that handy.

I am currently working on mine the only difference is I am not using my stock head unit at all. I am using the alpine 4 ch amp KTP 445U and my bluetooth receiver made by JL AUDIO MBT-CRX. I am rewiring my stock footwell subs and center channel using the rear channel of the amp.

Attachments

• DBDD6A9A-C136-4596-A388-468795C493F1.jpg
    DBDD6A9A-C136-4596-A388-468795C493F1.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 1,402
I like Daryl a lot, and that new stereo looks like a great idea for a number of people. DocL is right-that is a new version.

Get a cheap preamp from aliexpress for $10 and a generic Honda harness stereo connector. You can have a 3.5mm m/m audio cable plug into the preamp, which taps into the Bose inputs and away you go. Maybe cost you $30-$50.

This is what I'm looking for. So the signal path would be iPhone>3.5mm cable>preamp>honda stereo connector>bose inputs>OEM Bose speakers.
[MENTION=5430]drew[/MENTION], could you (or any other kind soul) show me what preamp and Honda harness would work? I did a quick search and found a huge number of confusing results.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This can be done!! You will need a bluetooth/pre amp much like what I have but instead of 3.5mm use a bluetooth. Best buy sells them for $26 iSimple bluetooth music stream and you can return it if you decided you dont want it. Using the the stock speaker you will need to figure out how to turn on the stock amp that is wired directly to speaker. A good stereo installer should be able to do the job! I opt with the JL CRX MBT because it can turn on the aftermarket amp with 12V remote wire. I dont know if the stock amp turns on by the stock radio or auto on once it receive a signal.

I like Daryl a lot, and that new stereo looks like a great idea for a number of people. DocL is right-that is a new version.

This is what I'm looking for. So the signal path would be iPhone>3.5mm cable>preamp>honda stereo connector>bose inputs>OEM Bose speakers.

Drew, could you (or any other kind soul) show me what preamp and Honda harness would work? I did a quick search and found a huge number of confusing results.

Thanks!

There are all kinds of things to choose from on AliExpress.

They don't have the one I use now, but it was about $7 and works just fine. I prefer 3.5mm plug with a discrete mechanical on/off knob/switch so it just turns on with in ignition in ACC/RUN. I've used this set up in cars without a 3.5mm jack without too much issue.

I've had issues with the BT ones with a mosfet "soft" switch because you have to turn them on every time you cycle the power. I have yet to find one (at least for cheap) that reverts to it's last state (which would be awesome).

3.5mm amp

with BT

The BOSE amps should do their own crossover filtering. I have yet to do it in my NSX, but that is in process.

I have a harness conveter that fits nicely with the NSX stereo connector, but I do not know the source. I have my console apart so I will take a look at it.

This looks like the receiver correct harness-it should plug into the stock wiring loom and let me connect whatever aftermarket amp/head unit so I don't have to cut anything:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TfXpw...he-HA02B-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977

I'm still not sure what type of head unit to look for. Do I need one with pre-outs and then just run the pre-outs to the amplifiers inside the oem bose speakers?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX302/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X302.html?tp=5684

Or can I just get any amp and then run the speaker outputs through a line-leveler like this one to make the speaker output into line-level output?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SL...a&awnw=g&awcr=47439537505&awdv=c&awug=9012214

have anyone found a good preamp that has bluetooth, and works with (turns on) stock Bose amps? I am still debating if I should send my unit to williams for the kenwood integrated system.

have anyone found a good preamp that has bluetooth, and works with (turns on) stock Bose amps? I am still debating if I should send my unit to williams for the kenwood integrated system.

Folks are generally pretty happy with the Willmans upgrade. There aren't many other reliable options left.

This is what I'm looking for. So the signal path would be iPhone>3.5mm cable>preamp>honda stereo connector>bose inputs>OEM Bose speakers.rufus
@drew, could you (or any other kind soul) show me what preamp and Honda harness would work? I did a quick search and found a huge number of confusing results.

Thanks!

Using the the stock speaker you will need to figure out how to turn on the stock amp that is wired directly to speaker. A good stereo installer should be able to do the job! I opt with the JL CRX MBT because it can turn on the aftermarket amp with 12V remote wire.

Last edited:
You could hardwire (or have a discrete switch that is default "ON", turn OFF as required) that is connected to ACC or RUN. Most of the time, if my car is ON, then my stereo is ON too.

A small board like (below) could take your 3.5mm jack and drive the audio signal to the OEM amps.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32807663214.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32853184982.html
(TEA2025B Mini Audio Amplifier Board Dual Stereo 2.0 Channel Amplifier Board For PC Speaker 3W+3W 5V 9V 12V CAR)

It's less than US$2, it should work fine

There is a $15 board that has tubes with an amp trigger, but I'm not really a fan of tubes (too hot, too hungry and It's a car you will never be able hear the difference).

Last edited:
You could hardwire (or have a discrete switch that is default "ON", turn OFF as required) that is connected to ACC or RUN. Most of the time, if my car is ON, then my stereo is ON too.

A small board like (below) could take your 3.5mm jack and drive the audio signal to the OEM amps.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32807663214.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32853184982.html
(TEA2025B Mini Audio Amplifier Board Dual Stereo 2.0 Channel Amplifier Board For PC Speaker 3W+3W 5V 9V 12V CAR)

It's less than US$2, it should work fine

There is a $15 board that has tubes with an amp trigger, but I'm not really a fan of tubes (too hot, too hungry and It's a car you will never be able hear the difference).

do you think, there are the same board without a jack but working in bluetooth?
did you have some pictures of your installation?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000287019357.html about US$3. Should be able to power your bose speakers without issue, just get a Honda adapter harness, and with a few minutes of adapting...you should be set.

I would just hang the unit from the passenger side knee bolster with some zip ties...should look decent enough and 100% reversible. You shouldn't need to see or access it all that much...

I ended up installing a flat-screen as I had a cut-up double din unit that came with the car... Works great for $80, but requires a cut-up console which I don't recommend.

I recently bypassed my oem radio. Parts I bought ( I might be missing a few adaptors in the list ):

- JL Audio MBT-RX Bluetooth adapter. $40
- science of speed harness ipp-758 $30
- rca splitters $10-15
- rca noise filter amazon $12
- rca volumn knob $10
- power button (optional) $5

My phone connects to the Bluetooth when I start my car. Play music in oem speakers straight from my phone. Use radio apps for radio. Sound quality is decent, actually better than I thought. I hide my volume knob and switch inside the cigarette ashtray location. Once cover is close, you cannot see them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000287019357.html about US$3. Should be able to power your bose speakers without issue, just get a Honda adapter harness, and with a few minutes of adapting...you should be set.

I would just hang the unit from the passenger side knee bolster with some zip ties...should look decent enough and 100% reversible. You shouldn't need to see or access it all that much...

I ended up installing a flat-screen as I had a cut-up double din unit that came with the car... Works great for $80, but requires a cut-up console which I don't recommend.

This is very interesting considering the price.

Does anyone know if the Bose speakers are powered on once the key is in the ignition or does it wait for a signal from the headunit before powering on.

Back