• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How good is the NSX? really.

Billy, we are all ecstatic with Ryan's 1:43+ in his normally aspirated 1991; that would be a benchmark for all of us to aspire to ..... and that would be only 6 seconds off PD Cunningham's NSX 1:38+ best time recorded at Laguna Seca with some 600 rwhp, Moton, weight savings, and all the other proprietary stuff he had. Here are some time postings: http://www.nsxfiles.com/fame_laguna.htm

And this from Wikipedia:

Motor Trend has recently begun to use Laguna Seca as a benchmark in much the same way Car and Driver had used Virgina International Raceway in recent years. The track was the site of their "America's Best Handling Car" and "Best Driver's Car" comparisions. In total, over 30 street legal cars have set laps on the track in the hands of Motor Trend. The 2010 Dodge Viper ACR is the current leader.[9]

1:33.91 - 2010 Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR
1:35.08 - Devon GTX (unofficial, pre-production)
1:35.12 - 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR
1:35.83 - 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
1:39.57 - 2007 Porsche 911 GT3
1:40.45 - 2009 Nissan GT-R
1:40.74 - 2011 Mercedes SLS AMG
1:40.75 - 2009 Audi R8
1:40.92 - 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
1:40.92 - 2009 Audi R8 R Tronic
1:42.51 - 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo
1:42.95 - 2009 Porsche Cayman S PDK
1:42.96 - 2008 BMW M3
1:43.85 - 2009 Cadillac CTS-V
1:44.32 - 2010 Ford Shelby GT500
1:44.72 - 2008 Ford Shelby GT500 KR
1:45.37 - 2009 Jaguar XFR
1:45.72 - 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
1:45.82 - 2007 Lotus Exige S
1:46.01 - 2009 BMW 135i
1:46.53 - 2010 Nissan NISMO 370Z
1:47.58 - 2006 Porsche Cayman S
1:47.71 - 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X MR
1:47.75 - 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS
1:47.93 - 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR
1:49.04 - 2007 BMW 335i
1:50.37 - 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
1:50.42 - 2009 Mazda RX-8
1:50.74 - 2006 Honda S2000
1:51.73 - 2007 Mini Cooper S JC Works GP
1:51.98 - 2008 Mini Cooper S
1:52.18 - 2009 Mazda MX-5
1:54.99 - 2006 Honda Civic Si

Billy and Hrant,

Thanks for the good word. That was my third time at Laguna Seca (my first time I was fortunate to have Andrie Hartanto as a coach). I think I could have personally got 1-2 more seconds quicker with some additional coaching from Billy this past weekend. Too bad he couldn't make it due to lower priorities like his Miami Grand Am race. haha.

Since Billy is 5 seconds faster than me at Buttonwillow I would assume he would easily be in the high 1:30's at Laguna Seca in my current setup.

My next step is to get a front splitter and legit wing on the car and get some professional coaching from Billy to get into the high 1:30's. We'll see...

My goal is to see how quick I can get a full interior, stock motored NSX before adding more power down the road.

Wow Ryneen! Smooth driving, lines, steering and braking inputs. You are well on your way to reaching your goals. I'd say you are closer than you think. You video is a perfect example of how good the NSX really is. I also like your attitude on getting the driver in order prior to the car/power. I was NOT that smart!!! Anyway, a front splitter/undertray like Shad makes and a good wing might really surprise you as to how stable the car can be and how much time you pick up. Watching how smooth you are I would say with aero and some more power you could be in the mid 30's in a hurry! Your driving looks smooth enough to easily handle it. Great job and Keep it up. Kip

Thanks Kip! I really appreciate the encouragement. Makes me want to hit the track right now!! Too bad I'm at home catching up on work. I'll be watching Billy's Grand Am race on my Tivo in a few hours so that'll help a bit.

Good luck this race season. Are you going to be at the Long Beach World Challenge race? Is Erik Messley helping with your team effort?

Billy and Hrant,

Thanks for the good word. That was my third time at Laguna Seca (my first time I was fortunate to have Andrie Hartanto as a coach). I think I could have personally got 1-2 more seconds quicker with some additional coaching from Billy this past weekend. Too bad he couldn't make it due to lower priorities like his Miami Grand Am race. haha.

Since Billy is 5 seconds faster than me at Buttonwillow I would assume he would easily be in the high 1:30's at Laguna Seca in my current setup.

My next step is to get a front splitter and legit wing on the car and get some professional coaching from Billy to get into the high 1:30's. We'll see...

My goal is to see how quick I can get a full interior, stock motored NSX before adding more power down the road.

Hey Ryan,

Nice laptimes. Don't sell yourself short, with all of the karting and track experience under your belt and your good feel for the car you have always been pretty fast, even when you started tracking the NSX.

BTW: IIRC Billy's laptimes on his car at Laguna with R-compounds is around the same laptime as yours :D

Keep the engine stock, slippery slope of $$'s out of the door if you go down the FI route, besides you would have to be in a different class when you do the Time Attacks ;)

Hey Ryan,

Nice laptimes. Don't sell yourself short, with all of the karting and track experience under your belt and your good feel for the car you have always been pretty fast, even when you started tracking the NSX.

BTW: IIRC Billy's laptimes on his car at Laguna with R-compounds is around the same laptime as yours :D

Keep the engine stock, slippery slope of $$'s out of the door if you go down the FI route, besides you would have to be in a different class when you do the Time Attacks ;)

Ken,
Good to hear from you! Thanks for the feedback. You were the first person to take me for a ride in the NSX. I still remember it. How have you been? Where are you living? Did you sell the GT3? You still hitting the track? How's Andrie? Look me up when you head to So Cal.
Ryan

Great Video Ryan!!

The car and most importantly the driver looks very smooth!

Btw, its good to "hear" from Ken, Hrant and some of the regulars on this thread!

What car are you referring to? The only time we took an FXMD NSX to Laguna Seca was the FX750's first outing (not sorted out atall and quite a handfull) and did a 1:31.440

For the redline time attack series, it would be pretty difficult to be competitive in the Modified class in a streetable NA NSX on R-compound tires. While he would probably be more competitive in his current configuration on street tires in the street class. FI is almost required for the Modified class these days. I'm not sure about the different classes in SCCA/NASA time trial groups though.

Billy

Last edited:
Really nice driving Ryneen. I'm surprised the GT3RS was running in the advanced group with some of the lines they were taking, especially in the last turn (T11) where they missed the apex pretty badly both times. Your line was beautiful. Wish we could hear the car instead of the music though. :redface:

Ryneen or Billy are the pfco1 pads streetable? I have been using ferodo 2500 as my bbk front pads and they do work on a cold rotor, don't chew it up ect,they are ok at the track but I'm always on the lookout for something better.

Man first you guys said Hawks, I buy the hawks.... and then everyone laughs and says "I can't believe you bought hawks"...

I ask you weeners where it be at, and you guys say "Carbotec turbo".... "carbotec is where it's at". So then I get carbotecs, and now you say "carbotec? what's the matter with you turbo? why you buy that for? PFCO1 FTW baby!!"

Are you guys F'n with me? Can you just tell me the next one already so I am not always one behind?

Jim runs autozone pads I think. He likes to keep his wheels dust free.

Yes I know he will lap me with his autozone pads but unlike him I have style to preserve. If you ain't dustin', you ain't stylin'.

See mine? I made it all myself:

photo2.jpg

I also have these:

stylishduds.jpg

Last edited:
NOW you are talking my language :biggrin::tongue:

Jim doesn't realize how much of a girl he looks like with those clean wheels. He thinks it's the lap time that matters. :rolleyes:

Dave. I have run Hawk HP+, Hawk DTC60, Cobalt Sport GT, Carbotech XP10/8, Carbotech XP10/XP10 and EBC Yellow stuff.

Hawk HP+ <--- they were OK. Not great, not bad. Dusted a lot, squealed just a bit. Good combo pad for an intermediate.

Hawk DTC60 <--- LOVED them. One problem, Hawk doesn't have anything to match them for our rears. Was told by a Hawk Rep not to run HP+ on the rear but to use Hawk Blues. Blues are old technology, toxic to the paint dust and squeal like a pig. The only reason he told me to run Blues is because they don't have anything to match the DTCs on the front for our cars.

Carbotech XP10/8 <---- great combo. Only problem, my Racing Brake rotors just didn't like the Carbotech pads. Bedded in properly, etc, etc and the rotors showed pad deposits and hot spotting F & R.

Carbotech XP10/10 <---- I can tell you that the 10/8 didn't squeal much, the 10/10 did. So it's the rears that cause the squealing ~ at least that is what I found.

EBC Yellow Stuff <--- ran these once. And only once! I was told that they changed recently and were great. They were cheap and I needed a front pad for one track day. They completely ruined what was left of my rotor in one day on the track. I mean they pushed the metal into the slotted area of the rotors bad. :eek: Never seen anything like it. STAY FAR, FAR AWAY FROM EBC YELLOWS.

I would like to try the Cobalt XR2/3 combo, but they are the most expensive of all the pads. Since my RB rotors didn't like the Carbotech, they might be the pad for this season ~ unless I go BBK.

And Yes the good old Autozone pads - run them on the street. Yes, I did run two sessions at Mid Ohio with them, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone more than a Novice. They were better than the OEMs on the track though. But they are fine on the street. Every bit as good as OEM at 1/3 the price.

Last edited:
Now I know your not talking about me with Autozone pads because I use the Checker brand guaranteed for life.....
You must be talking about the Captain...

***Actually I use Carbotech XP8's on Brembo's and love the pad for street and track use.

Jim runs autozone pads I think. He likes to keep his wheels dust free.
Yes I know he will lap me with his autozone pads but unlike him I have style to preserve. If you ain't dustin', you ain't stylin'.

I also have these:

stylishduds.jpg

So do I, at least you have a little class.

....and obviously one thing you haven't learned is, post a question on Prime and you'll get 100 different answers to confuse you even more :)

Last edited:
Jim doesn't realize how much of a girl he looks like with those clean wheels. He thinks it's the lap time that matters. :rolleyes:

Let me tell you something, my wheels are so black on Sunday that they look like my Avatar (or insert inappropriate racial slur here that I am going to keep to myself).

Make sure to wash them with in a day or two. Or if they get wet at the track or drive home, do it right away. Once that stuff gets wet and then drys it is a PITA.

Last edited:
Ken,
Good to hear from you! Thanks for the feedback. You were the first person to take me for a ride in the NSX. I still remember it. How have you been? Where are you living? Did you sell the GT3? You still hitting the track? How's Andrie? Look me up when you head to So Cal.
Ryan

Hey Ryan,

Yep long time :D. Send me a PM with your email address, easier to chat that way instead of here, tried to send you a PM but your Inbox seems to be full :p

Ken

Ryneen or Billy are the pfco1 pads streetable? I have been using ferodo 2500 as my bbk front pads and they do work on a cold rotor, don't chew it up ect,they are ok at the track but I'm always on the lookout for something better.

I used to run XP8 front and XP8 on the rears but they started hot spotting the fronts which caused shuddering. Therefore I upgraded to the XP10 front and XP8 rears setup. Better, but fronts still shuddered from hot spots (yes I do bed my brakes prior to tracking).

Switched to PFC01's from a recommendation from Billy. These are bulletproof!! I'm braking later and harder and driving 9/10's for 20-25 mins at a time. Brakes are flawless. No fade. No shudder.

To answer your question, I'm too lazy to change my pads and never take them out unless I'm replacing them. Suprisingly the PFC01's are not eating my rotors on the street any more than the Carbotechs which weren't bad. I'm very impressed with their streetability and they make no more noise than my Carbotech's.

Billy wants me to try a set too. Still have 3/4's left on my Carbo's.
I'm going to try the PFC01's next.

How much do you drive the car on the street with your set up ?
I'm looking for a happy medium for both street and more on the + side of track.

Me too, if they work, don't fix them.

I used to run XP8 front and XP8 on the rears but they started hot spotting the fronts which caused shuddering. Therefore I upgraded to the XP10 front and XP8 rears setup. Better, but fronts still shuddered from hot spots (yes I do bed my brakes prior to tracking).

Last edited:
Billy wants me to try a set too. Still have 3/4's left on my Carbo's.
I'm going to try the PFC01's next.

How much do you drive the car on the street with your set up ?
I'm looking for a happy medium for both street and more on the + side of track.

Me too, if they work, don't fix them.
Jim,

When you bought the Brembo F50/Lotus caliper set from Ken, they should have had PFC 01 pads in them, unless you changed them out for Carbotechs.

PFC 01 is an extremely successful brake compound that has won the 24 Hours of Daytona, LeMans, Champcar, Indy Car, ALMS, Grand Am, NASCAR races and championships. For a race pad, their success speaks for themselves.

I'm suprised to hear Ryan is having street success with the 01s but then again we do run the FX750 racecar (on 01s) on the street without any issues, so i'm looking forward for continued updates on Ryan's setup daily driving with the 01s.

Can't go wrong with Performance Friction 01-compound pads.

Billy

Jim,

When you bought the Brembo F50/Lotus caliper set from Ken, they should have had PFC 01 pads in them, unless you changed them out for Carbotechs.

PFC 01 is an extremely successful brake compound that has won the 24 Hours of Daytona, LeMans, Champcar, Indy Car, ALMS, Grand Am, NASCAR races and championships. For a race pad, their success speaks for themselves.

I'm suprised to hear Ryan is having street success with the 01s but then again we do run the FX750 racecar (on 01s) on the street without any issues, so i'm looking forward for continued updates on Ryan's setup daily driving with the 01s.

Billy

Billy, why can't you talk them into making OEM size F/Rs for the NSX? I'd buy them. :cool:

As I said, Hawk doesn't really make a good track compound for the rear, which leaves Carbotech & Cobalt Friction as the only choices.

Last edited:
These were not Kens. These were on the car when I bought it 2 years ago. The are GT's all around.

When you drove the car and mentioned you liked the bite, those were the XP-8's.

You were suppose to be working on getting me a set :wink:

I will try them next.

Jim,
Billy

What car are you referring to? The only time we took an FXMD NSX to Laguna Seca was the FX750's first outing (not sorted out atall and quite a handfull) and did a 1:31.440

For the redline time attack series, it would be pretty difficult to be competitive in the Modified class in a streetable NA NSX on R-compound tires. While he would probably be more competitive in his current configuration on street tires in the street class. FI is almost required for the Modified class these days. I'm not sure about the different classes in SCCA/NASA time trial groups though.

Billy

Guess I made a very obscure reference in my post:

Check out:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Mazda_Laguna_Seca

look for the NSX entry:

Billy NSX Manual, Stock, Soft tires 1:42.75

It's an entry for a NSX on GT4 at Laguna with almost the same laptime ;), thus the :D in my original post to Ryan

2slow2speed said:

Billy, why can't you talk them into making OEM size F/Rs for the NSX? I'd buy them. :cool:

As I said, Hawk doesn't really make a good track compound for the rear, which leaves Carbotech & Cobalt Friction as the only choices.
I wish they did too (even atleast their street pads) but with so many pad options out there already for the NSX, it dosn't make sense for PFC to make a street pad, let alone a race pad for the NSX which is such a small niche market, and the people who track their cars or would want an aggressive pad are even fewer.

Guess I made a very obscure reference in my post:

Check out:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Mazda_Laguna_Seca

look for the NSX entry:

Billy NSX Manual, Stock, Soft tires 1:42.75

It's an entry for a NSX on GT4 at Laguna with almost the same laptime ;), thus the :D in my original post to Ryan
Haha, well I guess you were right. Ryan was turning similar lap times to some guy named "Billy" who was playing GT4 on his Playstation. Different Billy :)

I would suggest using the Nurburgring times as a great comparison to see how fast the NSX in compared to its current and past counter-parts.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

<TABLE class=tableone width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" class=tdone></TD><TD class=tdone>Honda NSX-R</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" class=tdone>7:56.733</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" class=tdone>156</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" class=tdone>´02</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" class=tdone>280 / 1270</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" class=tdone>Gan San</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That is a very respectable time.

Back