• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"How much did you pay for your car?"

92NSX said:
I just smile and say 'not enough for the amount of joy it brings'.
That always get them.

I really like that one... to me its very true.

Most strangers that ask me how much I paied for the car usually ask after you'be been talking about it for a little while. I usually just say I paid about $32k and bought it used. Generally people are very surprised that the car is not as expensive as they thought and then think maybe they could get one. I'm not sure if any of them really did get one after talking to me, but what do I care? I'll never see these guys again anyway so I jsut tell them the truth.

I always answer that I got a great deal..
If they press the issue I say that I got it for $10,000 less than what they were going for at the time, (which was true).
I've been asked this too more times than I can count and its worked every time.

Britney got it fo me YO!
kfed28md.jpg

I ain't saying he's a gold digger, but he ain't paying for his malt liquor (sing to Kanye West's "Gold Digger")

"I got a good deal"

I say that no matter what car I'm driving. If you say it with the right attitude, they stop asking questions.

Q- How much did you pay for that?

A-"less then what I would get if I ever had to sell it":biggrin:

I was asked this twice just yesterday...It is about the most frequent question I get and it always catches me off gaurd. Its just so rude to ask. Its not hard to go home and look it up online and find out...thats what I would do if I wanted to know.

I don't really have much of a problem telling people the answer to this question, as it usually comes up after some initial small talk about the car. But I'm also not easily offended by those who lack social graces and ask such personal questions, lol!

I usually tell them that I got an amazing deal on it, too good to pass up ($31k, mods included), and that it was $81k when new.

I tell them the sticker in 1991 was ~$67k

annointed said:
I don't really have much of a problem telling people the answer to this question, as it usually comes up after some initial small talk about the car. But I'm also not easily offended by those who lack social graces and ask such personal questions, lol!

I usually tell them that I got an amazing deal on it, too good to pass up ($31k, mods included), and that it was $81k when new.

After that its all negotiations!

Have any of us asked some other person the cost of something they may have purchased? I have and I'm not trying to pry into their finances. Price of the car and how much we could afford as oppose to the price of the car and how much that person makes or does for a living.

Danny.

Usually, I give them the "One this year in this kind of shape would go for around 25-30K". I also tell them what I have done to it since purchase, e-Bay, and how much fun it was driving home........and every day since!!!!!

Friends ask and I tell them the truth. I also tell them what I have put into it to get it into the shape it is now in.

Sorry, you still can't wipe the smile off of my face, from that first drive to date. Good thing the windows are tinted, otherwise people would think that there was something sexual going on, NOT. I can smile all day. Even though I haven't driven it since Oct 05, some things you just can't forget. Just think what I will do when I get to drive it again. WOW, can't wait!!!!!

Just remember you can tell anybody anything as long as you have a smile on your face.

i usually say that i got it from some nice Nigerian prince who was trying to get his inheritance... :biggrin: LOL!

I often park it outside my college, and when they (my fellow students) ask me how much I paid for it the answer is:

A complete master degree including all books and other materials. Then they start to do the math in their heads and then I'm gone :biggrin:

To other car enthusiasts at streetmeets etc:

"I paid __________ for it, and would have paid more if the price was higher. This car is worth every cent." Which is true and which is why I'm putting this up for sale and buying a 1997 NA2+ to get even closer to driving nirvana :)

The funny thing is all those kids and magazineracers that go "for so much money you should have bought _________________ instead, much faster car" and I honestly reply "Honestly, this car isn't much about speed, it's about wrapping a big smile on the driver's face" and they still go "wtf did he mean by that?:confused: " :D

chumch said:
If it's a perfect stranger and the first question out of their mouth, I like to just through a number out there--"'bout a hundred n fity grand"

do they then proceed to call you an idiot for paying that much for it? (assuming they know how much they generally run):smile:

i went to my grandfathers funeral yesterday and we drove the nsx.
went we got there we pulled in and parked and i had seen cousins and family i havent seen in years.
my cousin came up to me and ask whos f car in the parking lot and that she didnt know we had a drug dealer in the family and demanded me to tell her whos car it was. how much did it cost. where did it come from.
my wife standing bescide me chuckled and said we have no clue whos car it was or what kind for that matter. we went in side and spent the day with family and friends while everyone was buzzing about the car. when it should have a been a buzz about my grandfather. sad very sad.
at the end of the day we sad our goodbys and got in the car and drove off
as everone came out side and stared at us. sad day that ended in giggles for us driving home in my nsx. my grandfather would have loved it. the only smile i had on this sad day came from my nsx.
92 nsx red on ivory bone stock for now
chris

If your like most here on Prime, it ain't what you "paid" for it, it's what you "got" in it!!! $$$$$$$$$ It never stops....Gotta Luvit!!!!:biggrin:

TURBO2GO said:
I get the "what year is it?" all the time. I say 2005 and I always get the "They still make them?" ... "last year".... this conversation I have had 10 times within 2 months of ownership.

i get that alot as well.. even though i have a '91 everyone that i see at the gas stations or stores asked me if it's a 2000+ model.. :biggrin: .. that just brighten my day since everyone thinks it's a new car..

I get this question a lot, almost everyone ask me this question. I have no problem with it. I usually just tell them the year, mileage when I bought it and amount I paid.

Most frequent question I get is what year is it?, Who makes the NSX? what kind of engine is in the car?, etc

I get offened when someone in a SUV roll down the window and ask me "do you want to race?":mad:

Back