• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How the 2016 Acura NSX works as posted on Jalopnik...

I noticed the twin fuel tank thing too. Not read anything about single port exhaust before though. Is there another forum I don't know about?

New NSX spotted testing in Sebring!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YzfAq6FgHrQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've seen a LOT of street cars (and race cars) at the hairpin at Sebring, and maybe it's my imagination (and wishful thinking), but the speeds at turn-in point and apex in this video are some of the highest I've ever seen for a street car.

(You know, since the video is a touch grainy, when the first car came under the walkover bridge, based on the slope of the hood and the fender bulges I thought to myself "Oh, they've got a 1.0 running, too." Much more of a family resemblance from 2.0 than I've seen yet! A good thing!)

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Great video, thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Great video on ablation casting as well as that clip at Sebring! The new NSX definitely looks like a "you've gotta drive it to believe it" kind of car.

Doug, that vid is sourced from Chin Motorsports... we're at Sebring as usual on Friday, and this is the view from the Chateau Elan balcony. Posted by our own staff, and now viral across NSX websites/FB pages.... !:smile:

You would think that they would have removed the camouflage by now, given that they've already shown the production version.

Also, the 2 cars sound different. I prefer the first one. Guess they are either still tuning the exhaust, or there will be a "sports" exhaust option.

Last edited:
To give you an idea, the 488 GTB uses a cheap and nasty sleeve bearing IHI turbos for the reasons stated above. The P1 uses equally nasty MHI sleeve bearing turbos.

Amazing if the Borg Warner EFR series is the best available, that Ferrari and McLaren would use an inferior product.
You'd think with Ferrari's turbo F1 engine experience they would know what to use.
And given the P1 is a million dollar car it makes you wonder what the point of using an inferior turbo is.

Do you know brands of turbos are used in Mercedes, Renault, Honda and Ferrari F1 engines?

- - - Updated - - -

You know, since the video is a touch grainy, when the first car came under the walkover bridge, based on the slope of the hood and the fender bulges I thought to myself "Oh, they've got a 1.0 running, too." Much more of a family resemblance from 2.0 than I've seen yet! A good thing!

I thought the same thing.
Much more family resemblance than the new static NSX pics have shown.
Agree it's a very good thing.
Many surprises coming out no?

I also thought the same thing. If you full screen it and pause along as each one goes by did anyone notice that these NSX's have cosmetic differences? Aside from the fact that the first driver's got his windows up while the second one has his windows down...the first thing I noticed is that the front of these 2 NSX's are quite different. And so are the rears (namely the spoilers) as well as the rocker panels. The most noticeable perhaps is the spoiler on the second one is quite a bit larger and appears more aggressive. The fronts differ where one seems to have cut down on # of openings...maybe one's just an older testing model but the rocker panels seem slightly more aggressive on the second one as well. Regardless it's exciting.

2compare.jpg

Diagram of the heat exchangers.

1KkDPad.jpg

I think I will let the dealer change the coolant for this car.

3 rads for the engine
condenser and Power Drive unit in front of central rad
Twin Motor Unit in front of right rad
DCT in front of left rad and in engine bay
2 intercoolers

I'm surprised there isn't an engine oil cooler.

Last edited:
Amazing if the Borg Warner EFR series is the best available, that Ferrari and McLaren would use an inferior product.
You'd think with Ferrari's turbo F1 engine experience they would know what to use.
And given the P1 is a million dollar car it makes you wonder what the point of using an inferior turbo is.

Do you know brands of turbos are used in Mercedes, Renault, Honda and Ferrari F1 engines?

there are other criteria that factor other than performance. These are oem applications and so longevity and cost are paramount. The unit price of the oem turbos is about $1000 dollars each less. Even on a $300k car, thats not insigificant. The longevity is also key. Sleeve bearing conventional turbos are tried and tested and will survive masses of abuse. The efrs had teething problems for years which have only been overcome in the past two years. They have nothing like the same level of in the field testing because they are a niche product. Its also questionnable if they could meet the supply levels. All the above disadvantages outweigh the advantage of faster response and faster spool.

Additionally in the ferrari they cap low down torque in lower gears anyway so the extra performance can't be utilised and in the mclaren they dont need fast spool or response from the turbos because they have an electric motor for torque fill purposes. The EFR would guve the hybrid system a much easier ride though.

in the F1 cars, i cant say that i know who makes the turbos. I know that they are all bespoke to the application as there is no other use for turbos of that specification, at least that i can think of. Their inlet and outlet design is unique to the V6 application and they do not have a wastegate. They have a genius idea of an electric motor directly driving or being rotated by the turbo. When their is additional torque driving the turbo the moror controls the speed by regenerating electricity and in reverse when their is insufficent exhaust flow, the turbo can be accelerated by the turbo. I was hoping this tech might make it onto the nsx but as yet i don't know of any road cars that have this.

Also on some f1 cars the turbo is split so that the main shaft extends through the engine block with the impeller at one end of the block and the compressor at the other. That is definitely bespoke to the F1 application.

New NSX spotted testing in Sebring!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YzfAq6FgHrQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sounds and looks like understeer :(

I also thought the same thing. If you full screen it and pause along as each one goes by did anyone notice that these NSX's have cosmetic differences? Aside from the fact that the first driver's got his windows up while the second one has his windows down...the first thing I noticed is that the front of these 2 NSX's are quite different. And so are the rears (namely the spoilers) as well as the rocker panels. The most noticeable perhaps is the spoiler on the second one is quite a bit larger and appears more aggressive. The fronts differ where one seems to have cut down on # of openings...maybe one's just an older testing model but the rocker panels seem slightly more aggressive on the second one as well. Regardless it's exciting.
1st car looks like a street car.
2nd car has a cage and could be a Type R mule or GT racecar mule...

What are the 3 front blue heat exchangers?

the second car may also have side exit exhaust ala test mule racecar.

I have a question. Since there are multiple coolers before rads, will the coolers make air hot before entering the rad, so that make rads less effective?

3 rads for the engine
condenser and Power Drive unit in front of central rad
Twin Motor Unit in front of right rad
DCT in front of left rad and in engine bay
2 intercoolers

The answers is without a doubt yes. Nothing new there, it's always been that way.

Typically the intercooler gets the fresh air, followed by the air con rad then the engine rad. Usually due to demand and heat rejection capacity.

+1 on the understeer comment, as soon as I saw the video that was the first thought that crossed my mind as well.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. All that squealing even before the turn did not sound good either. So much for my prediction that the 2 front motors would provide zero understeer and TK's statement that it would turn like its "on rails".

I understand that this is early in the testing and chassis refinement process but isn't it a little surprising that the handling balance would start there in light of the basic architecture that was designed to eliminate it?

Unless perhaps the software isn't behaving...

But you have no idea how fast it went into the corner?

How do you know it's not intentionally overcooking it into the bend in order to determine the beyond limit handling characteristics of oversteer or understeer. You can't draw any conclusions from this. They might also be testing the effect of over inflation of the tyres.

But you have no idea how fast it went into the corner?

How do you know it's not intentionally overcooking it into the bend in order to determine the beyond limit handling characteristics of oversteer or understeer. You can't draw any conclusions from this. They might also be testing the effect of over inflation of the tyres.

I don't know any of that stuff. But it seems a bit of a stretch that they would be testing overinflation of the tires no?

I think more likely the software is not accomplishing what the architecture is designed to deliver. Or could it be that perhaps that when they begin to refine a car's handling, they start with chassis understeer and then slowly dial in the front wheels?

In any case, I am not ready to conclude that understeer is a given (like some other primers (2 Slow) :)

I don't know any of that stuff. But it seems a bit of a stretch that they would be testing overinflation of the tires no?

I think more likely the software is not accomplishing what the architecture is designed to deliver. Or could it be that perhaps that when they begin to refine a car's handling, they start with chassis understeer and then slowly dial in the front wheels?

In any case, I am not ready to conclude that understeer is a given (like some other primers (2 Slow) :)

Nothing new or revolutionary in the concept of AWD torque vectoring .

What makes the NSX 2.0 different is that it will use the motors on the front axles to apply and control the amount of torque that is delivered to the outside wheel as well as applying deceleration to the inside wheel instead of using an ediff or a regular diff with brakes to slow the inside wheel on a non hybrid AWD setup. Because the car will apply torque to the front wheel it will slip, thus causing the understeer as well as the tire noise.

A Huracan, 2nd Gen R8, R35 GT-R, 991.1 Turbo(S), they all do the same when pushed (cars mentioned have AWD torque vectoring), the hybrid 918 does the same as well, nothing new or surprising about it.

..or maybe the batteries were depleted rendering those front motors useless....

Nothing new or revolutionary in the concept of AWD torque vectoring .

What makes the NSX 2.0 different is that it will use the motors on the front axles to apply and control the amount of torque that is delivered to the outside wheel as well as applying deceleration to the inside wheel instead of using an ediff or a regular diff with brakes to slow the inside wheel on a non hybrid AWD setup. Because the car will apply torque to the front wheel it will slip, thus causing the understeer as well as the tire noise.

A Huracan, 2nd Gen R8, R35 GT-R, 991.1 Turbo(S), they all do the same when pushed (cars mentioned have AWD torque vectoring), the hybrid 918 does the same as well, nothing new or surprising about it.

So let me get this straight, you are saying that in the cars mentioned above, when the car is approaching a turn and the engine is not imparting torque to the wheels, either the ediff is somehow changing the ratio on a variable scale between the left and right wheels or the brakes are braking the inside wheels harder than the outside wheels? And this changes to suit the degree that the steering wheel is turned?

If so, that is some amazing technology.

And during the acceleration phase of turns, wouldn't the instantaneous torque of an electric motor be a game changer with virtually no parasitic losses?

Last edited:
Back