• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need a coffee maker for the office

I know squat about coffee, I don't drink it, but I have two other guys here that do and for them to run out and get a coffee is a 30 minute trip to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts 1-2 times a day. They told me if I got a decent coffee machine, they'd be happy and therefore more productive.

What would you buy that makes decent coffee for only 2 people? Does the machine really even matter? Perhaps it's just the coffee....... Preferably something easy to prepare and clean up after.

Any Target or Bed, Bath & Beyond sells coffee makers. They cost around $20.00 and come with reusable filters. I buy my coffee at Costco and one jug lasts me about four months. The two employees can even buy D&D coffee beans and make it themselfs. There is no reason why anyone has to leave their workplace to get a cup of java. :wink:

Get one of these Flavia machines. Linky.

Fresh cup, every time. No cleanup, filters are built-in, no fighting about who killed the pot, etc.

I know squat about coffee, I don't drink it, but I have two other guys here that do and for them to run out and get a coffee is a 30 minute trip to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts 1-2 times a day. They told me if I got a decent coffee machine, they'd be happy and therefore more productive.

What would you buy that makes decent coffee for only 2 people? Does the machine really even matter? Perhaps it's just the coffee....... Preferably something easy to prepare and clean up after.
i've used a different variety of krups espresso / drip machines and have found each of them to work fine.

some basic guidelines i've used in previous work-lives:

1) define basic schedule for daily maintenance / clean up of machine (since there are just two people: bubba, odd numbered days are yours to clean up; skippy, you've got even days.)

2) provide quality supplies to keep folks happy: quality coffee (some like starbucks / dunkin donuts - i buy mine from www.halamafarms.com - sugar / creamers, etc.

like many others, i've found that providing quality refreshments can be a good thing in keeping people in the office and (somewhat) on track.

hal

There is no reason why anyone has to leave their workplace to get a cup of java. :wink:

Tell the staff of Bridgewater Acura that. Dunkin Dounts runs are a large part of their day:frown:

I know a little bit about coffee.
It depends what they mean by a decent coffee maker. There are many that will cost over 4 or 5 grand for the home user before you even get into industrial. Ask them what they want! They might want drip, hope so for your sake. Or they might want espresso. Two totally different machines, although there are some that do both. They might want to steam milk for lattes. If so you will need a machine with a steam wand. Whatever they need, 4 to 5 hundred bucks will get you something that will last. Don’t get a Krups or similar. If it were me I would think about spending a bit more and getting somthing semi automated. Making espresso can take 5 or 10 min and it's your time and money they are burning.

Regards,

Patrick

Thankfully, they just want 'coffee'... oh yeah, and 'iced coffee'. I suggested they fill the ice cube trays in the freezer :).

Tell them to pack a thermos.....or that its ok by you to bring in their own coffeemaker from home:biggrin:

Nah, they're hard workers and put in long hours, I don't mind picking up a coffee maker, just trying to do my homework.

Here's the bad boy you need. No more than $20.00 and you can find it at Walmart. :wink:

coffee-maker1.jpg

Tell the staff of Bridgewater Acura that. Dunkin Dounts runs are a large part of their day:frown:

Are the staffers who run out for coffee on a salary or commission? If they are on salary, I'd deduct the time they're away from their paycheck. If they are on commission, I wouldn't give a fcvk.

These guys work 7 days a week, sometimes 30+ hours straight (and they're salaried). I have no problem with getting a coffee maker if it will allow them to get even more work done. Working at a start up tech company is hard enough, what's a couple hundred bucks to save up to 60 man-hours per month (up to two 45 minute runs per day times two people times four weeks) and to provide a little morale boost?

Rob, get the Tasemo coffee maker. Really easy clean up. You put a little disc in the machine and it makes one perfect cup at a time. The disc stays sealed until you put it in the machine so the coffee is always fresh. I have the Tasemo machine and I love it. They are ~150 bucks for the machine and the coffee is ~3-10$ per package of ~10-15 cups. You can also get hot chocolate, earl grey tea, cappichino, latte, espresso, and green tea.

+1 for the Tasemo coffee maker! Life changing machine. Little to no cleanup, looks cool, sounds cool, makes a very nice cup of Joe.

Rob, get the Tasemo coffee maker. Really easy clean up. You put a little disc in the machine and it makes one perfect cup at a time. The disc stays sealed until you put it in the machine so the coffee is always fresh. I have the Tasemo machine and I love it. They are ~150 bucks for the machine and the coffee is ~3-10$ per package of ~10-15 cups. You can also get hot chocolate, earl grey tea, cappichino, latte, espresso, and green tea.

You take your coffee way to serious!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

These guys work 7 days a week, sometimes 30+ hours straight (and they're salaried). I have no problem with getting a coffee maker if it will allow them to get even more work done. Working at a start up tech company is hard enough, what's a couple hundred bucks to save up to 60 man-hours per month (up to two 45 minute runs per day times two people times four weeks) and to provide a little morale boost?

With that kind of schedule I think leaving to get coffee may be more then just getting coffee it's a much needed break. I would think twice about making it easier to not leave and get a break. I have never seen anyone that gets more done in a day that lasts more then 10 hours, they are just spending time.

With that kind of schedule I think leaving to get coffee may be more then just getting coffee it's a much needed break. I would think twice about making it easier to not leave and get a break. I have never seen anyone that gets more done in a day that lasts more then 10 hours, they are just spending time.

I agree, it's a tough balancing act but at the moment we don't have much choice. We're in that period where business is pouring in but money isn't yet (customers take a long time to pay for these kinds of implementations). We need more help and it's been promised, but until it happens we need to suck it up and live here if necessary, but it's not like those hours are every day. I try to get people out of here after an 8 hour day if possible.

Get one of these Flavia machines. Linky.

Fresh cup, every time. No cleanup, filters are built-in, no fighting about who killed the pot, etc.

I second that...the FLAVIA! :tongue: We had one of those at CSFB - not too shabby for coffee. But it still kills me that the bankers had to pay $.50 a pop for coffee in this machine (no cheapo coffee pot) when we worked like sled dogs 7 days a week.

I'm going to go for this (KBT 741 model - once they are back in stock, every place sells these things out quickly)

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.shtml

It's universally mentioned as the best coffee maker for the $$$ in every coffee forum I've looked at. Plus while the little single serving cups make some sense, I don't want to be tied into something proprietary. These guys are going to buy their own coffee and I want them to just be able to run to Dunkins or Stop & Shop to buy it.

Are the staffers who run out for coffee on a salary or commission? If they are on salary, I'd deduct the time they're away from their paycheck. If they are on commission, I wouldn't give a fcvk.

Commision, but Id rather see them doing follow up or something more productive. Im way too generous of a manager. The age/respect thing is a constant problem:frown:

We just put one in the kitchen @ the office, makes a nice cup of joe. I can't tell good coffee from bad though, don't have the palate for it.
Wine on the other hand...

Back