• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Impressions after 1000 miles...

Jinks - as a gen 1 owner i know how you feel and i also cherish my gen 1 but the way you were commenting was very childish and it seemed like you really lost your cool which made your point diminished. It seemed like your main objective was to state, Who really would buy these at MSRP? which is a pretty valid point since most of these new owners are coming from incentives. I think we can all agree that the car at the MSRP range was a bit too much and really this car is one bad ass MOFO at 120-150k (fully loaded) which is why they are selling like hot cakes.

I've driven both generations and my gen 1 is 500whp so i believe i can comment to both sides fairly. I believe the original NSX creates a beautiful bond with your mind/body/soul, the car is truly timeless and that's why we have such loyal primers and long time owners. I believe most of us were a bit butt hurt when we saw the new NSX and how different it was (heavy,wider, tech happy) so in reality it made us non believers that this bond we created with our gen 1s can't be continued. I'm an open minded person and was willing to give this new NSX a chance and i felt like i did everything right.. I googled almost every day for some new information, i got the first ride in CO, and i was one of the first people to drive one in CO.

I was given a choice to buy this new NSX at MSRP no markup around 7-8 months ago.. but i didn't take it. I did my rounds of buying high end porsches (GT2,GT3RS) and i had my fun..

Finally i got news about this "drive event" and asked my local dealer about it. Thankfully a dealer in CO had a demo vehicle i could finally drive and feel for myself instead of just being in the passenger seat. I believe NSXSUPRA (Jason) stated that to truly enjoy this car you must go on a long test drive which is what i did and man did that change my whole perspective about this car. This car is pure genius in every way and really does hold some heritage to the old one especially the way you feel in the cockpit with the low front with thin a-pillars. Truly a New Sportscar eXperimental with its lagless turbo system and this hybrid tech you can only get if you were going to pay 1-2 million. Acura has opened a gateway yet it was bashed because it wasn't anything close to the old one. I believe as a present gen 1 owner i was just mad at myself for not understanding what they were aiming to do and somehow being close minded to the idea. I almost felt like i was car racist in a way and there was only one way to think about a "NSX" yet when i opened my mind/body/soul.. i felt like a fool.

i would encourage everyone to watch matt farahs video on the nsx. I'm in no means connected with this man but his review is exactly how i felt and i could almost connect with his exact words when he was driving it.

https://youtu.be/zwkUHSt35vE

As to the whole debate on the pricing of the car, i believe Acura just did a bad combination of advertisement, production, and loss of loyalty to their previous buyers. Obviously they overproduced and this is why the incentives are here but if they stuck with only made to order and did this drive event... I could easily see these cars selling for MSRP or more. This car is something you have FEEL to understand and Acura did the drive demo too late. Remember we learned about supply & demand in school and this is a very basic one. Acura made too much supply before any demand was created. They should learn a thing or two from Porsche as they know how to create demand. We're very lucky to be in a position to buy these cars with such a deep discount because i don't think there's another car in its league to create that feeling.

Last edited:
Acura screwed the dealers (and themself) with the allocation system. They told stores that if they didn't accept allocations, it would impact future allocations, so the stores ordered a car even though they did not have a customer lined up. They also gave the stores 2 weeks to confirm the order but did not alert the store when an allocation dropped.

I owned my 1994 Gen1 for 15 years. Yes the car was great in almost every capacity, however it's now 2017. I was firmly against ever owning a non manual sports car until I got my Gen2. Yes it's not as raw, but the performance of the car is incredible. I also owned a 2004 996TT/X50 at the same time I had my Gen1 and I enjoyed the ease of driving that car over my Gen1. The Gen1 is now an old car. It's okay to live and die by the Gen1, heck I was a diehard Gen1 and anti Gen2 until I got my Gen2. The Gen2 is better in every sense and it should be. In this day I don't want to drive a car that doesn't have all of the latest technology.

I don't disagree with you at all. I'm glad Honda was able to continue the NSX legacy even if there is a divide among spectators. I plan on owning the 2nd gen sometime in the future. I hope they continue to refine it.

All I was saying is the car priced after the incentive program was nailed right on the head and was a deal compared to the comps. There are 140k dollar comps out there. I will bet money that a lot of people who bought the car at lower than msrp will try turning around and dumping it to make money very soon. Which is fine by me. But it does boil my blood a bit when some people say it is the best thing since sliced bread and worth the msrp when they sat on the fence like crows for a year. These will be the people trying to dump it next year. I do not believe that it is worth msrp and neither did most people. Was I childish in my comments? I don’t think so. No more than posting shit pile emoji’s I would think. If I had the same connection with the new car as I felt with the previous version, I would have one in my driveway this year instead of dumping ungodly amounts of cash into a 1991 car. But I do not feel that connection. My point being, what connection to the car do new owners have other than it being new and at a fire sale price? For guys planning on tracking the ccb cars, I hope you have really deep pockets.
But whatever, it’s the internet we are not all going to agree.

Nsx rocks just did 75 mile drive in upstate ny on some nice roads, hairpin, elevation changes everything. The car is just flat out incredible. Maybe a 720 or 488 is better. I think it may be better then the r8 or mclaren and I had an r8.

Was at cars and coffee in the morning. Car drew a crowd and people loved the look and tech. The blue paint and bright sunshine also help.

Also the stereo is amazing. One of the better ones in the industry

Glad you are having fun with it.

The road up to and back from Bear Mountain would be a nice ride.

Acura screwed the dealers (and themself) with the allocation system. They told stores that if they didn't accept allocations, it would impact future allocations, so the stores ordered a car even though they did not have a customer lined up. They also gave the stores 2 weeks to confirm the order but did not alert the store when an allocation dropped.

Finally someone who understands! I can now sleep at night. 😂🤣

Nsx rocks just did 75 mile drive in upstate ny on some nice roads, hairpin, elevation changes everything. The car is just flat out incredible. Maybe a 720 or 488 is better. I think it may be better then the r8 or mclaren and I had an r8.

Was at cars and coffee in the morning. Car drew a crowd and people loved the look and tech. The blue paint and bright sunshine also help.

Also the stereo is amazing. One of the better ones in the industry

It’s better than the R8.

570s is a tough call. 570s is more raw, but the NSX is more refined. The NSX is more liveable day to day.

488 is double the price, but it’s such a great car. Where Ferrari has gone to where it is right now is really impressive.

720s is probably the king 👑 right now in my book. Again you can’t really compare it to the NSX. It’s in a class above.

It’s better than the R8.

570s is a tough call. 570s is more raw, but the NSX is more refined. The NSX is more liveable day to day.

488 is double the price, but it’s such a great car. Where Ferrari has gone to where it is right now is really impressive.

720s is probably the king  right now in my book. Again you can’t really compare it to the NSX. It’s in a class above.

I drove the 650 and 570 back to back. The 650 is on another level. I saw the numbers on the 720. It is on another planet. But again price-wise it is on another planet overall.

I went to get some things from Target 2 miles from my house. In those two miles I got three stoplight conversations and 4 thumbs up. I think as I drive the '17 more I realize the Gen 2 is about the experience. The looks, the stares, the rarity, the speed, the tech etc... I too drew a crowd at cars and coffee.The Gen 1 is about the drive. Seating position, the sweet transmission, the 8000 plus redline. Not saying one is better than the other ... just different.

My favorite thing to do now is upload pics from a flash drive onto the center console. Right now I have a pic of my '96 on there. My wide asked "why are you driving around in your new car with a pic of your old car on your center console?" I need help

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX
2015 Yukon (zzzzzzz) SCCA tow vehicle

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-Type (sold)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

If you went to Target, you didn't get much in the trunk......

The thumbs up are very nice for the ego.

I got a good laugh at C&C from a Gen1 owner who asked me where the spare tire was.....

I drove the 650 and 570 back to back. The 650 is on another level. I saw the numbers on the 720. It is on another planet. But again price-wise it is on another planet overall.

I went to get some things from Target 2 miles from my house. In those two miles I got three stoplight conversations and 4 thumbs up. I think as I drive the '17 more I realize the Gen 2 is about the experience. The looks, the stares, the rarity, the speed, the tech etc... I too drew a crowd at cars and coffee.The Gen 1 is about the drive. Seating position, the sweet transmission, the 8000 plus redline. Not saying one is better than the other ... just different.

My favorite thing to do now is upload pics from a flash drive onto the center console. Right now I have a pic of my '96 on there. My wide asked "why are you driving around in your new car with a pic of your old car on your center console?" I need help

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)

You should be like, “Honey when I take my new gf out I always have a picture of you in my wallet. It’s the same concept.”

Haha jk don’t say that. It wouldn’t sit well with her I assume.

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)

Go read our review on the 720s posted elsewhere - it's a stunner for sure. The 650s is already considered dated tech and the values have dropped close to what the new NSX is in the 160-170k range.

Ferrari and Lambo (Besides Porsche) are the only established players with solid depreciation values and good records.

But if you look at sub-140k range, we agree the BEST VALUE right now is the 2017 NSX. The Audi R8 might be faster but the 2nd gen R8 has lost its luster from the previous generation.

We've driven the 570s many many times, including the Spyder version and it's the hottest thing right now. They are literally flying off the dealer shelves. Although it's the "base" baby McLaren, it certainly does not drive like one. It gives you about 80% of the 720s feel without the huge price tag.

this is our Huracan next to a 570s, very different cars:

you make great points. R8 looks too much like the A8 and every other Audi. hard to think of $140k as a value range! but those are good observations. maybe the NSX will fill that niche.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Go read our review on the 720s posted elsewhere - it's a stunner for sure. The 650s is already considered dated tech and the values have dropped close to what the new NSX is in the 160-170k range.

Ferrari and Lambo (Besides Porsche) are the only established players with solid depreciation values and good records.

But if you look at sub-140k range, we agree the BEST VALUE right now is the 2017 NSX. The Audi R8 might be faster but the 2nd gen R8 has lost its luster from the previous generation.

We've driven the 570s many many times, including the Spyder version and it's the hottest thing right now. They are literally flying off the dealer shelves. Although it's the "base" baby McLaren, it certainly does not drive like one. It gives you about 80% of the 720s feel without the huge price tag.

The audi R8 PLUS might be a tick faster but not the regular R8. I like the 570 a lot. However for 160k i like the 650S better for the current pricel. All the cars you mentioned are incredible machines.

Last edited:

Your hurrancan is gorgeous, the 570s is ugly af. My 2 cents.

Entertaining thread. This is the Golden Era of performance cars. Anyone with a 10-15 year old car that thinks the current offerings are not attractive is more nostalgic than rational. We can debate "greatest of all time, judged in the context of each car's release date." But, otherwise, the best of the new cars on offer now (at every level) are miraculously good.

I have a 700HP modified 997 Turbo (6 Speed) gathering dust. I can't bear to sell it, and it's still a blast to drive. But that has nothing to do with the $200K+ 991.2 Turbo S (PDK only). To suggest that the greatness of the old car impacts whether the new car "is worth it" is a silly (non) argument.

Amongst new car offerings, at least for car fans, there is never a universal stack-ranking of best to worst. The only thing helpful for actual buyers is "what *NEXT* car is best for me." The Gen 2 was the best next car for me at the time. It's a fantastic car that I continue to love more and more. I pre-ordered @ MSRP, knowing that future pricing was uncertain (and, obviously, never having seen or driven it). I have no regrets. Kudos to recent buyers who got great deals. I wish I had your patience.

Speaking of fantastic cars, yesterday I got to drive my buddies 2018 GT three manual, surprisingly more livable than my 997 GT two, easy clutch, fantastic engine note and very engaging experience, maybe it's my age or my Collection of cars over the years, but I feel that a sports car should have a third pedal even if it's slower....I think there's a role for the automated double clutch transmissions and sometimes I really hate shifting but other times I hate the PDK etc........but this car is also 170+ decently equipped, and I would rather have a $140,000 NSX, it comes down to value and perceived value

Last edited:
Agreed all modern cars are amazing! To be able to put any of these in our garage is a blessing :)

We plan to have a new NSX next to the Huracan in good time. The better question is will the Huracan stay in our stable or be replaced with something else (been looking at the 488 and 720s and leaning towards the 488 now)

After a second look at the NSX -If I want to look at an MDX dash/interior, I'll detail my Wife's $50K '17.....

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

I'm currently in the market for another ride but have trouble deciding between the nsx and many of the cars you guys listed.

At it's original MSRP, the car was wayyy over priced. You can paint it however you want by saying some random stuff about "value" ... bla bla bla.... but the general consensus is that it was overpriced and the fact that the way the market reacted to the second gen NSX is just proof of that.

Now with the 30k dealer incentive, I'm definitely more motivated to join the club. But even at 130 - 140k, I'm still debating on whether I want one or not.

Just curious... what else is on your list of potential vehicles?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

After a second look at the NSX -If I want to look at an MDX dash/interior, I'll detail my Wife's $50K '17.....

not sure how many times you'll be looking at the dash while enjoying the amazing drive.. don't think i once looked at my GT2 or GT3RS and said wow what an amazing dash :)

The new nsx is so good that I am thinking I won't be driving much of anything else for quite some time and will be selling 3-5 cars soon rather than just let them sit and rot. Just wtd to say that. The owners with the 2nd gens know what I'm saying. Still like my 1st gen so thats staying

The new nsx is so good that I am thinking I won't be driving much of anything else for quite some time and will be selling 3-5 cars soon rather than just let them sit and rot. Just wtd to say that. The owners with the 2nd gens know what I'm saying. Still like my 1st gen so thats staying

I feel you on this. This car is the real deal.

Back