• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

IN THE SHOP | 2017 NSX R&D Project

Hey everyone,

We have a local NSX owner stopping by our shop Saturday 8/12 at 10 AM to check out our R&D car and to hear the Sport Cats & Maxflo Rear Exhaust in person.

I wanted to extend the invitation to any local NSX owners to come out and join us!

Address is:

Fabspeed Motorsport
155 Commerce Drive
Fort Washington, PA 19034

- Alec

any more confirmation on the hp gains

Our first dyno tests showed pretty substantial gains - upwards of 70/80hp. Upon further testing, we discovered that the charge in the batteries can pose an additional variable.

After several months of R&D, our final numbers are below. You'll see the delta between OEM - Maxflo Rear Exhaust - Sport Cats/Maxflo - Catbypass/Maxflo.

View attachment NSX Dyno- (005).pdf

Also, I put together this video comparing the OEM exhaust to our Sport Cats and Maxflo Rear Exhaust. The Nouvelle Blue is GORGEOUS in person and is coming back for Sport Cats and our 3in Competition Exhaust in a few weeks :smile:

Last edited:
Wow, the best street setup would be sportscat + muffler back. I can't wait to see how they compare on the 1/4 mile.

I'd agree and would love to see how they do on the 1/4! I can tell you, my seat-of-the-pants dyno notices a pretty nice power gain. The car is an animal from a dig and pulls hard throughout the powerband.

I'd agree and would love to see how they do on the 1/4! I can tell you, my seat-of-the-pants dyno notices a pretty nice power gain. The car is an animal from a dig and pulls hard throughout the powerband.

What do you think the tune will add?

What do you think the tune will add?

If it responds anything like typical twin turbo applications, the power/driveability gains should be pretty significant. Powerband looks pretty linear from the factory but I'm excited to see where it goes. Stay tuned!

So the power gains are closer to 50 peak hp. That's more realistic and quite nice actually.

Yes, that's realistically what we are finding. The charge of the batteries add another variable to the mix when dyno runs are performed but we're looking at 40-50hp ultimately.

Thanks for the comparison. Holy jeebus that sounds awesome. I'm drooling listening to that exhaust. If I score a 2G NSX, that'll be the first mod, for sure.

Thanks for the comparison. Holy jeebus that sounds awesome. I'm drooling listening to that exhaust. If I score a 2G NSX, that'll be the first mod, for sure.

It's a night and day difference in person! I could listen to those turbos spool all day :smile:

Some feedback from an NSX owner in Florida after installing Sport Cats & Maxflo Rear Exhaust...

"The NSX is now the Monster it should have been from the factory. Sounds Insanely good and has gotten VERY VERY fast. Scary fast to be honest. I have never seen an exhaust and downpipe do this much to the power of a car...
Fabspeed Motorsport"

Any updates on the tune?

In progress - we have the protocols written, just have to be tested. Keep an eye out, should be available soon!

Also, quick product update:

Despite significant infrared testing/thermal mapping, we have heard your concerns regarding the retention of OEM Heat Shields. Therefore, we have added brackets for OEM Turbo/Primary Catalytic Converter heat shields to our HJS Sport Cats/Catbypass Pipes along with developing our own proprietary heat shield which consists of a double tubed design installed in place of the redundant Secondary OEM Catalytic Converter.

Please let me know if there are any questions! :smile:

DSC_7595_copy__62843.1508535005.1280.1280.jpgDSC_7596_copy__77170.1508535075.1280.1280.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7565_copy__47983.1508534994.1280.1280.jpg
    DSC_7565_copy__47983.1508534994.1280.1280.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 642
A few questions:

a) Would your sport cats pass SMOG in CA?

b) What is the process to install this exhaust in terms of what needs to be removed prior to installation?

It is like your typical Lambo installation where the entire rear end has to come off the car? We've yet to take the rear bumper off the new NSX so curious how much work is involved to install and remove the exhaust (if needed at time of SMOG inspection).

Great job!

Here is some smog info:

On a new car you get a pass for 6 years, so you can run no cats and no mufflers until then or until Johnny law gets you for excessive noise (don't ask how I know!).

A replacement cat in Calif has to have a CARB sticker or visual inspection will fail it.

I doubt anyone is going to call for a teardown to inspect a new NSX cat.

A few questions:

a) Would your sport cats pass SMOG in CA?

b) What is the process to install this exhaust in terms of what needs to be removed prior to installation?

It is like your typical Lambo installation where the entire rear end has to come off the car? We've yet to take the rear bumper off the new NSX so curious how much work is involved to install and remove the exhaust (if needed at time of SMOG inspection).

Great job!

Here is some smog info:

On a new car you get a pass for 6 years, so you can run no cats and no mufflers until then or until Johnny law gets you for excessive noise (don't ask how I know!).

A replacement cat in Calif has to have a CARB sticker or visual inspection will fail it.

I doubt anyone is going to call for a teardown to inspect a new NSX cat.

Typically anything but OEM Cats will not pass CA SMOG (unless it has a CARB cert). That being said, the HJS Cats will pass a sniffer test and the Cats are pretty buried in the NSX so visual is 50/50. No CELs with the HJS Sport Cats either :smile:

Install in the Sport Cats is typically around 8 hours as you have to remove all the shielding/covers/diffuser/etc. It's a bit of a job but otherwise, everything else is a bolt-on replacement.

Great work as always Fabspeed!

I got to ask, since you guys work with so many other "exotics".

Would you say that a cats + muffler + stock tune NSX is equivalent to a LP610 Huracan/R8 V10 Plus in terms of acceleration past 60mph since 0-60mph is so hard to differentiate? (as we both know those V10's are highway monsters)

40-50whp is quite significant so I'm quite curious.

Great work as always Fabspeed!

I got to ask, since you guys work with so many other "exotics".

Would you say that a cats + muffler + stock tune NSX is equivalent to a LP610 Huracan/R8 V10 Plus in terms of acceleration past 60mph since 0-60mph is so hard to differentiate? (as we both know those V10's are highway monsters)

40-50whp is quite significant so I'm quite curious.

Thank you!

Honestly, I'd say they would be neck and neck - possibly the NSX a hair quicker off of the line. I've also driven our FBO/tuned McLaren 570S & MP4-12C too and the NSX is every bit as fast in my book; I think the McLarens would ultimately have the edge though in the top end.

Back