• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Insurance for the NSX is Killing me!!!

I have 4 cars insured, when I added the NSX it added 30$ per month for full coverage....get a second beater!..you'll be glad you did...and when its pouring rain you can leave the NSX at home safe and clean :wink:

I believe your insuance is prolly right on par with what i was paying. I bought my car when i was 20 and had no tickets or wrecks on my record. My insurance was $298 a month. We threatened to leave the insurance company and the car was put on my dads policy with him being primary driver and it dropped to $115 a month. The car is in my name and him being the primary driver isnt technically allowed, but threating to leave sure made them change their minds and bend the rules a little bit.

nsxinohio said:
...The car is in my name and him being the primary driver isnt technically allowed, but threating to leave sure made them change their minds and bend the rules a little bit.

What will happen if you are driving the car and get into a crash? Are you listed as a driver on it? They may have bent the rules to take your money, but they may not cover you if the car is damaged with you behind the wheel. Insurance companies always try to bend the rules in their favor, you should check this out asap.

I am still listed as a secondary driver on the car. I am jsut not the primary driver on it anymore. so if i drive it and get in wreck im still covered under my policy. I read and talked to them to make sure of this.

NSXROX said:
Doesn't everything cost more in California?

I thought insurance was way more in other states like New Jersey (guess). I have full coverage with raised limits and lowered deductibles but pay about $70/month.

$ 90

That was my monthly rate through State Farm for my 95 NSX. In fact, it was a few bucks per month less than for my Accord.....go figure. :confused:

That was one of my biggest complaints, too. It was my 5th car on my policy and still had to pay $103 / month for full coverage compared to $75 for the Corvette and $80 for the Viper.

I guess age does make a big difference. I'm 26 , 1 speeding ticket, and previous suspended license, also from California and a I pay $1500/ 6 mos for 2 cars. '00 Civic HB as primary. I use Geico, and i'm sure I got some kind of military discount too!

NSXrebel said:
I guess age does make a big difference. I'm 26 , 1 speeding ticket, and previous suspended license, also from California and a I pay $1500/ 6 mos for 2 cars. '00 Civic HB as primary. I use Geico, and i'm sure I got some kind of military discount too!

1 ticket and your licence gets suspended?!?!? how fast were ya going?

Last time my wife's A6 was damaged when an uninsured unlicensed Mexican hit it I took the car to a top end body shop that fixes BMW's, Mercedes and the like. That shop had a list of insurance companies at the front door with a sign saying if you have insurance at those companies please make a u-turn and go to another shop.Gieco was on the list. They contended that the companies they listed did not pay an amount sufficient to repair the car using new parts instead of rebuilt, etc.
There's more to who you insure your car with than just how much you pay monthly, so I feel the best question to ask here is whether anyone has had an accident in their NSX and how did State Farm (or Geico or etc) treat them? It would not be cool to have the cheapest insurance if they burn you on the repairs.
The latest insurance scam on a totalled car is for the insurance company to refuse to pay the amount the car is financed for, saying that it's not worth that much. They might pay 80% and leave you with the rest. I have a policy that covers the difference, but it would be a good idea to have an appraisal done by a professional for your car so you have something in writing.

Just another point to consider.

Zap

MegaZap said:
Last time my wife's A6 was damaged when an uninsured unlicensed Mexican hit it I took the car to a top end body shop that fixes BMW's, Mercedes and the like.

What does the driver being Mexican have to do with the story? I don't think if he was white you would have botherd to mention that, would you? Sorry, not picking on you personally- just bothered by this mentality that many are unaware of.

Jeff

MegaZap said:
Last time my wife's A6 was damaged when an uninsured unlicensed Mexican hit it I took the car to a top end body shop that fixes BMW's, Mercedes and the like. That shop had a list of insurance companies at the front door with a sign saying if you have insurance at those companies please make a u-turn and go to another shop.Gieco was on the list. They contended that the companies they listed did not pay an amount sufficient to repair the car using new parts instead of rebuilt, etc.
There's more to who you insure your car with than just how much you pay monthly, so I feel the best question to ask here is whether anyone has had an accident in their NSX and how did State Farm (or Geico or etc) treat them? It would not be cool to have the cheapest insurance if they burn you on the repairs.
The latest insurance scam on a totalled car is for the insurance company to refuse to pay the amount the car is financed for, saying that it's not worth that much. They might pay 80% and leave you with the rest. I have a policy that covers the difference, but it would be a good idea to have an appraisal done by a professional for your car so you have something in writing.

Just another point to consider.

Zap

great post!!!!!! This is why I have no plans of changing my ins. even though 3 cars cost me $2600 for 6 months. I had a "off road" incedent and American Family never questioned having to replace any parts, they understood it was a nice car that need to be fixed right. Im VERY hapy with em. They even covered almost an entire paint job for just minor scrathes and even made me a great deal on a very slightly dented heat shield that saved me 1k and I handeled on my own for like 200 rather than the 1500 they would have had to pay. And my insurance ahsn't gone up yet :)

We should post which companies have treated us right with our NSX or other high end cars, not stuff like civics, but the stuff that cost them alot. I now know Ill NEVER go with geico, thanks!!!

jeff_L said:
What does the driver being Mexican have to do with the story? I don't think if he was white you would have botherd to mention that, would you? Sorry, not picking on you personally- just bothered by this mentality that many are unaware of.

Jeff

well, cause he was more than likely illegal and not licensed...at least legaly licensed. and two...everyone knows mexicans dont ever have car insurance geeze *rolls eye* :D, but then that goes without saying lol

.......*puts on flame suit and runs*
oh boy here it comes.........

This estimate is based on 3,000 road miles per year and includes; Comp. & Collision, $50,000 liability & Uninsured Motorist coverage

This is really interesting to me, but I think I put more than that mileage just for going for Track days in a year. (And I don't live in sunny California :) )

Question is, my nsx was my household's 5th car and of course considered as a rare driven weekend car, there's a little thing saying not to be driven with XXXX miles per year. And of course the reality is that the car had been on the road 75% of the time by me. Does insurance really keep record of the mileage being driven, and adjust accordingly? I too have Geico. and so far..(knock on wood) they had not done any adjustment yet.

Anyone have any experience on that??

stay away from Geico.

Go AAA. they are not out to make a killing.

Just thought of something!

if you leave 10000$ with the DMV you dont even need insurace!

i dont know about the previous mexian comment.... but my advise is if you where hit by one. CALL THE COPS ASAP! Get them on the scene! DO NOT LET THEM LEAVE even if they give you a drivers liscence and insurance card.

Had a good budy. He got hit by a mexican running a light stop sign. The girl left him a driver liscence number + insurance card info. It all looked legit till he went to the insurance company. Guess what? Info is all bogus including the CA drivers iscence. :mad:

Call the cops. They will come and verify everyone's info right there and then. If its legit, they file the police report... which you still need to do anyways and saves you a trip to the police department. If they are legit, its all good. If its crap they go straight to jail and the INS takes then from there.

Told all my family and friends to do exactly the above. Its not hard to get a fake drivers liscence + get a scanner and printer to do yourself an insurance card.

Look at it this way. To get a DL in california, your need Social Security number and another piece of ID like Passport.

So they wont have a SS number cause they hopped the border and they dont have a passport cause we dont take Mexian passport if it does not have the approate paper works (visa).

So..... if a mexian hit you, do you want to take your chances?

Be smart, call the cops when you get hit by a mexican.

Last time i was in vegas acturally. saw 2 mexians getting hauled away along with their 1991 Chrysler mini van after rear ending some SUV..... guess what? no liscence / fake id... or fake insurance :rolleyes:

Last edited:
kouasupra said:
I'm 21, I pay $127 monthly for full coverage. State Farm :smile:

for which car the 91 or 93, an 01 apparently cost a BIT more :(

RON98 said:
stay away from Geico.

Go AAA. they are not out to make a killing.

Just thought of something!

if you leave 10000$ with the DMV you dont even need insurace!

i dont know about the previous mexian comment.... but my advise is if you where hit by one. CALL THE COPS ASAP! Get them on the scene! DO NOT LET THEM LEAVE even if they give you a drivers liscence and insurance card.

Had a good budy. He got hit by a mexican running a light stop sign. The girl left him a driver liscence number + insurance card info. It all looked legit till he went to the insurance company. Guess what? Info is all bogus including the CA drivers iscence. :mad:

Call the cops. They will come and verify everyone's info right there and then. If its legit, they file the police report... which you still need to do anyways and saves you a trip to the police department. If they are legit, its all good. If its crap they go straight to jail and the INS takes then from there.

Told all my family and friends to do exactly the above. Its not hard to get a fake drivers liscence + get a scanner and printer to do yourself an insurance card.

Look at it this way. To get a DL in california, your need Social Security number and another piece of ID like Passport.

So they wont have a SS number cause they hopped the border and they dont have a passport cause we dont take Mexian passport if it does not have the approate paper works (visa).

So..... if a mexian hit you, do you want to take your chances?

Be smart, call the cops when you get hit by a mexican.

Last time i was in vegas acturally. saw 2 mexians getting hauled away along with their 1991 Chrysler mini van after rear ending some SUV..... guess what? no liscence / fake id... or fake insurance :rolleyes:

in Indiana its $40,000 :(
Does anyone know how that works?? What if damages/ingeries/law suits are over that amount? Are you screwed or will the state cover it? I have no clue, but I presume the good all boys will f' ya. I know alot of guys with several super exoctics like McLaren F1s, Enzos, F40s ect are self insured.

Is it just me or did this thread start leaning toward some real extreme racism,...I'm not Mexican but I am a little disturbed by it. There's a shit load of white trash peckerwoods and Chinamen (doesn't sound good does it) out there with no insurance, so lets just refer to the uninsured motorists, as uninsured motorists in general, ok,...............

1RADNSX said:
Is it just me or did this thread start leaning toward some real extreme racism,...I'm not Mexican but I am a little disturbed by it. There's a shit load of white trash peckerwoods and Chinamen (doesn't sound good does it) out there with no insurance, so lets just refer to the uninsured motorists, as uninsured motorists in general, ok,...............

Mexicans are not a race

I live in the UK and if i tried to get a quote for an NSX i'd get laughed at. At 21 where the hell did you get the money to buy an NSX let alone insure one?! I always thought it was stupid when i watch US movies and college kids are driving around in supercars or trucks with a bzillion litre V10s. I didn't actually believe that is what it's like over there!

robfenn said:
I live in the UK and if i tried to get a quote for an NSX i'd get laughed at. At 21 where the hell did you get the money to buy an NSX let alone insure one?! I always thought it was stupid when i watch US movies and college kids are driving around in supercars or trucks with a bzillion litre V10s. I didn't actually believe that is what it's like over there!

I bought the car when i was 20. I had a burning desire to buy an nsx or porsche for quite a while. Worked like crazy, and bought the nsx and the insurance. Couldn't have been any happier. :smile:

RON98 said:
try a new insurance company.

If you have 3+ years of driving expereince it should be very low.... the ticket is only adding about 30$ amonth.

Next time, always contest the ticket, then ask for traffic school

Im with AAA and it is pretty low. Also do you have a second car? if you do, put that one as your primary driver and put hte NSX as your secondary car... that way your insure for the NSX will be dirt cheap....

Thats how im getting by with mine. I got 4 cars on full coverage and is paying lot less then 380 with one ticket on my record that is going off this christmas.

I cant stress this enough.. but gota pay to play.

Hey Ron, yup, I do the same thing. Have the Durango and the NSX on the same policy, which helps lower it a bit but, of course, it's still outrageous.

And, always, always contest the ticket and/or do the traffic school thing*

Back