• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interests in 02+ replica oem wheels???

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the second page a moderator asked me to make a vendors page, so I just did what he asked lol. I'm in no way a vendor or store. Once things here are finalized my friends shop wwill make a vendors page no problem, and ill have him donate some money to nsxprime as well.

Please add me on the list..I need a 4rth set of wheels :wink:

I am interested if you can ship directly to Asia!

Please add me to the list: 17x8's et 37, 18x10 et 33. Thanks. Let me know if 18's and 19's will be available.

My biggest concerns are:
1) What manufacturing process will be used to make these? Gravity Cast, Low Pressure cast? Flow Formed? Rotary Forged?
2) Will these wheels go through JWL, VIA, DOT/SAE safety testing?
3) Why does everyone want a 18x10 when all NSX rear tires fit a 18x9.5? A 9.5" will weigh less and provide the same amount of contact patch..:confused:

3) Why does everyone want a 18x10 when all NSX rear tires fit a 18x9.5? A 9.5" will weigh less and provide the same amount of contact patch..:confused:

It's because the 50mm difference in width from 215-265 converts to about 2 inches. So 17x8 with 18x10 or 17.5 with 18x9.5 would have ideal matching fitments with the typical 215/265 tire sizes. A 215 on an 8 inch rim will be slightly stretched, so they want match the rear with a similar stretch.

My biggest concerns are:
1) What manufacturing process will be used to make these? Gravity Cast, Low Pressure cast? Flow Formed? Rotary Forged?
Not sure, I will find out though

2) Will these wheels go through JWL, VIA, DOT/SAE safety testing?
Yes

what nspec said

here ya go

I have been doing some more research... you may actually want to do the front as a +40 instead of +45 for BBK owners, otherwise there may be problems and people will most likely need a 3-5mm spacer (and the latter requires a new set of lug bolts which realllllly sucks). It's a close call- the other thing that could happen is you could do something in the middle, like +42, which may satisfy most everybody. FYI On the 94-01 wheels there was a 5mm difference in offset between front and rear, but in the 02-05 there was only a difference of 1mm. I would try to stay in this range too.

Also, I found these pics of some gorgeous concave profiles (Miro 111):
18miro111sil.jpg

155194_x800.jpg

miro%20111.jpg

Last edited:
I have been doing some more research... you may actually want to do the front as a +40 instead of +45 for BBK owners, otherwise there may be problems and people will most likely need a 3-5mm spacer (and the latter requires a new set of lug bolts which realllllly sucks). It's a close call- the other thing that could happen is you could do something in the middle, like +42, which may satisfy most everybody. FYI On the 94-01 wheels there was a 5mm difference in offset between front and rear, but in the 02-05 there was only a difference of 1mm. I would try to stay in this range too.

Also, I found these pics of some gorgeous concave profiles (Miro 111):
images

Let's get something straight here. Offset has little to NOTHING to do with BBK fitment!!!!111
You're having wheels custom made! If you really want to have BBK clearance, have the wheel manufacturer design the spokes so that they fit BBKs at a given offset! That's all you need!!
WORK wheels does it...RAYS does it.. They offer different "Disks". For any given offset, you can get a different "Disk" that gives different BBK clearance.

DiskType.jpg

Secondly, with 3-5mm spacer does NOT require longer lug bolts. You can still get the required minimum amount of turns of the lugs nuts with a 5mm spacer and the factory lug bolts.

Lastly, the specs of the 94-01 wheels are:
16x7 +55
17x8.5 +60

02-05:
17x7 +55
17x9 +56

What this means is that the front wheel position is exactly the same (relative to the fender) from 1994-2005. In the rear the 2002-2005 wheels sit 10mm more flush to the fenders than the 1994-2001 rear wheels.
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

The only reason to keep the offsets the same as the factory is to maintain the same scrub radius as the factory. In today's car styling most people care about "flushness". If "flushness" is what people are looking for, I highly recommend against keeping within the factory range and going with lower offsets to bring the wheel edge closer to the fender.

Last edited:
Let's get something straight here. Offset has little to NOTHING to do with BBK fitment!!!!111
You're having wheels custom made! If you really want to have BBK clearance, have the wheel manufacturer design the spokes so that they fit BBKs at a given offset! That's all you need!!
WORK wheels does it...RAYS does it.. They offer different "Disks". For any given offset, you can get a different "Disk" that gives different BBK clearance.

DiskType.jpg

Secondly, with 3-5mm spacer does NOT require longer lug bolts. You can still get the required minimum amount of turns of the lugs nuts with a 5mm spacer and the factory lug bolts.

Lastly, the specs of the 94-01 wheels are:
16x7 +55
17x8.5 +60

02-05:
17x7 +55
17x9 +56

What this means is that the front wheel position is exactly the same (relative to the fender) from 1994-2005. In the rear the 2002-2005 wheels sit 10mm more flush to the fenders than the 1994-2001 rear wheels.
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

The only reason to keep the offsets the same as the factory is to maintain the same scrub radius as the factory. In today's car styling most people care about "flushness". If "flushness" is what people are looking for, I highly recommend against keeping within the factory range and going with lower offsets to bring the wheel edge closer to the fender.

Great points. Some of us want the wider rim up front specifically because we want more choice for R compound tires. I don't want to create offsets where the wheel sits flush for looks but the car's performance suffers. I just wouldn't buy such a wheel.

Great points. Some of us want the wider rim up front specifically because we want more choice for R compound tires. I don't want to create offsets where the wheel sits flush for looks but the car's performance suffers. I just wouldn't buy such a wheel.

I understand your concerns. The 17x8 +45 would be your best bet for that, HOWEVER, since we don't know the manufacturer, don't know the manufacturing process, don't know the overall wheel weight, don't know the quality, and don't know the level of safety testing they will be subjected to I would plan to NOT use these wheels on the track.

I honestly think these will be cruising wheels.

For cruising wheels a 17x8 +40 would probably be best with 215/40/17 tire... gives it an aggressive look and enough space so it doesn't rub with aggressive street driving.

He answered your questions in the body of your quote, Hapa88.

thanks

Just stopped by my friends shop, a request like this is going to take some time. He is currently real busy with expanding his business in other ways... I would say that this concept will be done, its just gonna take a while. Clearing bbk by changing the inside curve of the spokes shouldnt be a problem either. He said a minimum of 200 rims would have to be ordered over time, which is 50 sets. Hopefully they dont want 200 of each mold, that would equal 100 sets we would need to sell lol

what's a long time??? he's busy, need 50 sets, etc. Here's what I dont understand. If I was in the business of selling wheels and someone came to me with a chance to make a group buy sale of 25+ sets of wheels at the same time I'd get right on it. People are impulsive and if this drags on, your list of 25 will dwindle down to just a few and there goes a huge group buy opportunity and profit. Back to selling wheels one sale at a time.

ok, who wants to make a bet this will never happen? oh well, guess I'll move on and just get a set of track wheels.

sent from my crappy cell phone.

1. nicholas421
2. Rjwong
3. grtahoang
4. cl65captain
5. POWERED by HONDA
6. UnhuZ (Pending offsets and width)
7. Nero Tenebre (Pending offsets and width)
8. jpangeles
9. socold57 (17x8 +35 and 18x10+25)
10. TURBO2GO
11. Nukem
12. 3.5lnsxr ( 17x8 18x10)
13. Matt_337 pending offsets and size
14. RYU
15. Zishan ***prefer 17x8/18x10 (pending offsets/size)
16. Brylek *** Prefer 17x7 +42 / 18x9 +40
17. arista5 - pending what the final product looks like
18. hlakhani (pending offsets and width)
19. nsxasty-(interested if offsets are right)
20. skyline15 (pending what final product looks like,as well as offsets)
21. MadtownNSX (pending offset/size)
22. Avaspapa
23. NSXRAY1
24. Osiris_x11 (K.I.S.S., pls'!)
25. Peter D
26. syngery004 (dependent on credentials/verification)
27. jagtiger
28. NSX_GT
29. nsxinkl
30. theo1
31. Quebec_nsx (white 17x8 18x10)

1. nicholas421
2. Rjwong
3. grtahoang
4. cl65captain
5. POWERED by HONDA
6. UnhuZ (Pending offsets and width)
7. Nero Tenebre (Pending offsets and width)
8. jpangeles
9. socold57 (17x8 +35 and 18x10+25)
10. TURBO2GO
11. Nukem
12. 3.5lnsxr ( 17x8 18x10)
13. Matt_337 pending offsets and size
14. RYU
15. Zishan ***prefer 17x8/18x10 (pending offsets/size)
16. Brylek *** Prefer 17x7 +42 / 18x9 +40
17. arista5 - pending what the final product looks like
18. hlakhani (pending offsets and width)
19. nsxasty-(interested if offsets are right)
20. skyline15 (pending what final product looks like,as well as offsets)
21. MadtownNSX (pending offset/size)
22. Avaspapa
23. NSXRAY1
24. Osiris_x11 (K.I.S.S., pls'!)
25. Peter D
26. syngery004 (dependent on credentials/verification)
27. jagtiger
28. NSX_GT
29. nsxinkl
30. theo1
31. Quebec_nsx (white 17x8 18x10)
32. Chris NSX (17x8 18x10 big brakes offset)

OK, I thought that I should maybe add my 2 cents here.

- I do have some experience designing wheels (I have advised numerous parties in the design of wheels)

If you are going to cast a wheel, have it cast and leave a good number of them "blank" - this means no bolt holes are drilled, and intentionally cast more material in the hub area - this generally allows for offset (at times up to +- 20mm or more) and pattern changes, the drilling and/or machining could add maybe $20-60 to each wheel but allows a MUCH greater range of fitment therefore more customers - this is commonplace amongst smaller wheel companies.

I bet people would even buy 17x8 NSX wheels in 4x100 - I might even be tempted...

Now as far as sizes/widths - I figure the most popular is going to be 17x8/18x10 - as long as the offset can be varied by 20mm then I think just about everyone can be accommodated.

The face of front and rear should be as concave as possible, this will allow for then most aggressive looks and satisfy the 20% change required while not affecting the looks in a negative way.

Also the barrel should be a reverse mount so that tire mounting is easier.

These are just a few of my thoughts - there are many more considerations but this is what I could think of right now.

Lastly, I am IN for a set of 17x8/18x10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back