• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

James Hooker leaves his family to move in with his high school student

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...cher-resigns-after-leaving-family-for-student

Modesto police are investigating if there’s a criminal case against a former high school teacher who resigned his job to move into an apartment with an 18-year-old girl he met while teaching.

James Hooker, 41, was placed on administrative leave Feb. 3 by Modesto City Schools and resigned less than three weeks later, according to a report on the Sacramento Bee.

The newspaper reports that the man, who had taught business and computer classes, left his wife and children, to move in with Jordan Powers, an Enochs high school senior whom he met when she was a freshman in high school.

"In making our choice, we've hurt a lot of people," Hooker told the Bee. "We keep asking ourselves, 'Do we make everyone else happy or do we follow our hearts?' "Tammie Powers, the student’s mother, told the Bee she believes Hooker pursued her daughter, and cited recent problems with her daughter’s grades and health. Her daugher had panic attacks.

"I believe it was the stress of the lie," Tammie Powers told the newspaper.

Modesto police are trying to determine if there was inappropriate contact between the teacher and the student before she turned 18 in the fall, the Bee reported.

The community of Modesto has largely reacted with shock and disapproval, the newspaper said.

I hope it was worth it... he is thinking with the wrong head. :rolleyes:

After he loses everything in the impending divorce he might realize what a lapse of judgement he has made. I can't imagine what his kids think.

Its okay to get a divorce because you are unhappy, but you should never leave someone for someone else.

My geometry teacher married an exchange student from Venezuela who graduated in my class. She was 18 and he was around 50 years old. they are still married and he just retired from teaching.

My geometry teacher married an exchange student from Venezuela who graduated in my class. She was 18 and he was around 50 years old. they are still married and he just retired from teaching.

There are a lot of south american women looking for someone to sponsor them into citizenship. My brother married one, but after a year she divorced him and took whatever she could get.

There are a lot of south american women looking for someone to sponsor them into citizenship. My brother married one, but after a year she divorced him and took whatever she could get.

Yeah I remember at the time I thought that was the case but time has proved me wrong.

d25729f3-620d-47fc-966a-c341760fc4e4.jpg

I love that the police are "investigating" to see if any laws were violated.

There is obviously nothing he did wrong in the eyes of the law, they should piss off and quit witch hunting. Modesto is a serious hellhole and those resources could be put to better use.

I agree. If they have both said they did nothing sexually until she had turned 18, game over. The police should just say "No apparent laws were broken; this is not a criminal matter". The prosecutors seem to us the intimidating power of "on-going investigation" to threaten people a lot and just keep them under the gun.

I'll be curious if they do a follow up in a few years. He'll be living is some crap apartment by himself and she'll have moved on. That is unless some executive at FOX is thinking of a new reality show.

Is it that he left his wife or the age spread, if the latter what is an acceptable age spread? Does the age of the parties involved make a difference with what an acceptable spread is? Is this situation not ok because she is 18 and he is 41. Would it be more acceptable if he was 61 and she was 38?

Is it that he left his wife or the age spread, if the latter what is an acceptable age spread? Does the age of the parties involved make a difference with what an acceptable spread is? Is this situation not ok because she is 18 and he is 41. Would it be more acceptable if he was 61 and she was 38?

I don't think its the age spread, but the age. I guess the idea is that an older man is taking advantage of someone that has not experienced life yet and can easily be manipulated. Further since he is/was a teacher instantly puts him in a position where the student looks "up" to them, a mixture of worldly and authority figure. The idea that the barriers between teachers and students seem to be breaking down is a fear that many parents do not want to experience or have to deal with. It just seems to be an abuse of authority and position on many levels.

I'm sure most parents don't want their 18 year old, fresh out of high school, daughter shacking up with some guy, any guy. The fact that he was her teacher and 20+ age spread is brutal. Most parents see their child's progression as: go to college, educate yourself while experiencing new things with your peers, graduate, then do what you will. 25 and 48, meh, whatever.

Last edited:
The age spread isn't as much of a big deal as is the relationship of the two

He was her teacher, she is a classmate of his daughter. It just seems very Lolita-ish you know? It doesn't sit right- not that it matters, but I think that is why this is getting so much attention. If he were 52, and she was 29 it wouldn't be such a big deal right? It's the same age difference though.

It is also a double standard- think about all the female teacher- sex scandals of the past decade. When it is a 16 or 17 yr old boy having sex with a 26-30 yr old female teacher. Most of us guys react with "where was she when I was 16? (especially when the teacher is sorta hot) but here we have a male teacher having sex with a girl who is of age, and most of us are reacting like he must have raped her, or coerced her, or somehow the relationship is "wrong".

This makes me wonder where this girls parents stand on the issue, when they became aware of it what they may have done to prevent it. Who is she? Is it her personality type to seek a surrogate "daddy"? Does she need one- like is her Father involved in her life?

With all that said- if this were my daughter I'd have a real problem with it- like I'd take the man off his feet, break both his arms and choke him till he wets his pants kinda problem with it. That's my baby, and IMO he is a predator. It looks to me like he used his position of authority to gain access to a vulnerable child, then exploited that access. Even if he has "walked away" from teaching, it doesn't change the fact that he initially used that profession to cull a child from the herd, and develop an inappropriate relationship with her- even if he did wait until the law allowed him to consummate that relationship.

P

Last edited:
Back