• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Local Dealer says new NSX starting at 150k

Stopped in at the local Acura dealer with my 02 NSX to meet the mechanic who works on the NSX. Since buying it in Aug. I wanted to be sure the local dealer could handle the car as they have only been in business 7 years in the area. The owner of the dealership wanted to know if I was interested in the new up and coming NSX.

He mentioned Acura is telling him off the record they will start at 150k. I was a bit surprised at such a high price tag. The sales person I met stated my car was far better looking and the new model looks allot like an audi.

I guess there are two other NSX owners who live in R.I. near Seekonk, MA that have their cars serviced there. One I am told races his and the other is all stock.

If you guys are on prime it would be nice to go for a ride sometime.

Anyway thought I would share the experiance.

JC

They will sell just as good as the originals at 150k.

wow thats alot has to be a gtr killer than:biggrin:

you can buy a nice used lambo for that kinda loot

Interesting, but I don't believe it- it's way too early. They haven't even developed the engine yet. A lot of stuff needs to happen before they can set a price.

I got a hold of an Acura rep at the Boston car show and was told that they were told they absolutely did not think it would be under 100K. Their guess was 120-150 as well. Which is good news to me and what I expected. That means current models will not be hurt in value and the car will be more rare and have perhaps better performance. I think the fact that they may not sell many is irelavent to them. I don't think this car is designed to be a money maker. They did stress to me the car is at least 2 years away.

I like 150k, but it better deliver and be considered an exceptional value at 150k. Essentially, I think it needs to offer more then other cars at that price point. Face it, Acura still does not have the same brand recognition as other luxury cars, so a potential consumer willing to pay 150k for an "Acura" would need to justify it somehow.

Face it, Acura still does not have the same brand recognition as other luxury cars, so a potential consumer willing to pay 150k for an "Acura" would need to justify it somehow.

Well, could say the same thing about Nissan. But just like them if you deliver a car with outstanding performance, you will be forgiven. It doesn't matter what it costs as long as it delivers value. I personally do not believe the standard model will be 150K. I think it will land right at base R8 pricing.

I'm not sure if any of the dealers know for sure...I spoke with the GM of my local Acura dealer a few weeks ago. The one thing she was certain of is that it WOULD be priced under 100k....no doubt about it!!!:confused:

I agree with Honcho....too early to tell...plus there's no way I'd pay 150k for a hybrid sportscar.

i honestly dont think it will be under 100k since the 2002 were 90k brand new....

i was thinking maybe 120k ish area

I guess there are two other NSX owners who live in R.I. near Seekonk, MA that have their cars serviced there. One I am told races his and the other is all stock.

JC

Gary (captngaryr) is in East Greenwich, RI. He owns a nice '03 Silverstone.

The price really does not surprise me, I have always said if you add "hybrid" in the mix you can tack on 20% to the price plus w/ all the other aspects of the car $150K seems about right. We shall see........

Well, could say the same thing about Nissan. But just like them if you deliver a car with outstanding performance, you will be forgiven. It doesn't matter what it costs as long as it delivers value. I personally do not believe the standard model will be 150K. I think it will land right at base R8 pricing.

I agree, and that's what I'm saying. At 150k, the car BETTER deliver. The GTR is a perfect example to my argument- The GTR @ 80k or whatever, blows away everything. This alone gives the borderline "snobs" justification to get a GTR over say a Porsche. :)

It's easy to forgive Nissan when the GTR competes with cars that cost $100k more. If Honda delivers 458 performance at $150k then it will be a steal too, but I don't think anyone believes that is going to happen.

I personally hope the new car is in the $120-150k range and competes with the R8. Having a nicer exterior than the R8 is enough to seal the deal for me. I like the idea of it being a bit more exclusive and keeping the value of our existing cars but it also means fewer options and much higher prices on any aftermarket products.

Last edited:
If car would be hi tech than app. 150k $ is right price,and for guy above that likes Lambos I don't think that used Lambo will be better than new NSX.Now second generation of NSX will be with some history and it's right to be priced higher knowing how good is first model.

$150k for a japanese 6-banger?!??! BUHAHAHHHAHHAHA.

I already have issues with some of the Porsche prices for a puny and boring sounding exhaust note.

Mclaren knows from research that there are 2 things that buyers of sports cars look for outside of the appearance:

1. acceleration
2. Exhaust note

I'm sad to say that it appears that this NSX in it's current direction is going to have a sales flat-line similar to the past NSX for those 2 reasons.

Lease @ $699/mo for 20 years......

All joking aside, many 1st gen NSX's started life w/subvented AHFC lease
programs because that's only way they could sell them.....I did 3 myself
and bought the leases out.

Easy way to get a new one.......

Do we want the new nsx to be exclusive or like tons of Vettes on the roads? like the guy above has mentioned...it will keep our current nsx's stable. From the beginning, I would like the price range around 150k, not below 100k. Exclusive and limited editions that would be worthwhile to buy it and it would depreciate much less in the future.

Start eating instant cup noodles, save your money for it.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Just too many great cars at that price point of $150k.
I is too early to say for sure, but at that price HONDA will have a sales flop one more time.

Even if the car is great looking and handles well etc. etc., it will inevitably be compared to the GTR and since the GTR is truly a giant killer, it will do what it does.

Honda should be very careful in pricing this car. I feel that the psychologically important $100k should not be breached, unless like Toyota they just want a halo car [LFA] and don't really care for the enthusiasts or how many they end up selling.

I can't believe any of you guys are STILL believing what a dealer told someone LOL How many of these threads did we have where some guy says "Oh dealer confirmed next NSX will be V8 or turbocharged"??

Seriously THEY DON'T KNOW YET! Once more/any specs are known then maybe some genuine price estimates can be made. Plus I seriously don't understand why you guys believe the car will priced with a V10 R8?? Seriously? When do the Japanese out price the Germans??

Plus if any of you would every pay attention this car is parts sharing with the Acura RL!!! So let's see hmm Audi R8 shares parts with Lamdo Gallardo and goes up $30k NSX shares parts with RL and this causes it to equal the R8 V10 AND cost more than a 911 turbo with plenty of options??? What part of this equation doesn't add up:rolleyes:

I can't believe there's a thread where Bats has more sense then most anyone else LOL

Remember the price issue for the original NSX was not just because it is aluminum but the manufacturing process. It was hand built.

This will probably be an assembly line instead of hand built vehicle. It's been 22 years since Honda introduced the aluminum construction and other have perfected it through the assembly line process. The robotic welding of aluminum on production car is now a standard technology and practically every high line makers are using it.

Everything I have seen so far are very straight forward like the GTR, no composite parts, no high stress internal parts (with no FI), and is being built in the U.S to eliminate exchange rate fluctuation. In fact, this car is to be export back to Japan and other countries. I think they have the correct strategy since the weak US dollar will make this car an attractive buy. In fact, I remember Honda was talking about relocating their headquarter outside of Japan.

If they can sell 6000 per year as they have projected with the original NSX and by using existing parts from other production cars, I see no reason why this car cannot be built and sold for around $100k and still allows Honda to make some money.

After all, the price point cannot be that much higher than the GTR (even though it look much more exotic), and exceed the price of a V8 R8 or Porsche 911 GT3.

Interestingly, this car is taking place of the old Prelude, where Honda used to "prelude" all the new technologies.

Last edited:
It's gonna be a hard choice between the 991 GT3 and the new NSX. If the price is GT3 money it better outperforms it with similar build quality and interior quality.

The GTR is going upward to over 100k soon. I did order a 2013 and hope it's below 95k. :mad: The MSRP of my 2008 gtr was like 73k :eek:.

It's gonna be a hard choice between the 991 GT3 and the new NSX. If the price is GT3 money it better outperforms it with similar build quality and interior quality.

The GTR is going upward to over 100k soon. I did order a 2013 and hope it's below 95k. :mad: The MSRP of my 2008 gtr was like 73k :eek:.
If the performance is on par with the GT3 and is priced slightly higher, I'm willing to buy the Honda just for the look and reliability.

If you look at the design of cars, Porsche is the only one coming out with cars that still look similar to the cars they make from a decade ago.

Honda is making the NSX 2.0 a completely different car from almost every design aspect.

The yen was much weaker back in 2008, that tells you either JDM made cars should either take a hit on profit, or transfer the cost to consumers.

Building this car here is the logical choice. Honda has prove to us their car manufactured here in the US is just as good as the one they built in Japan.

Last edited:
All of this price discussion reminds me of when I first started dreaming of owning an NSX back in 1989. I was driving a 1987 Legend Coupe at the time and had read in the car magaizines about the upcoming "sportscar" from Acura. Every time I visited my dealer I would ask for any new information on the car. In every case, I seemed to know more about the car's development from what I had read in the car mags than the dealer knew, but the dealer knew that I wanted one and he and I talked about the car on an off for more than a year.

First I had read the car would be around $35k. That was perfect to me. Then I read an article that said it would be priced somewhere between $40k-$50k. I wasn't happy about this and hoped for closer to $40k than $50k,but I was still in at that price range.

So sometime in 1990 my dealer calls me and tells me that he has just returned from a national meeting and had more information to shre with me about the upcoming sportscar. Drove to the dealership than night and was ready to put down a deposit if it was possible. He told me details of mid engine, aluminum body antilock brakes, airbag, leather a useable trunk. My mouth watered. Then he said the price was going to be around $60k. I was floored and I remember getting mad! I shouted that Acura would not sell any at such an outrageous price and went on to cite all the other choices like a Supra, Corvette and such that I could buy for far less than that. I left the dealer furious that my dream car was out of my reach.

Well we all know that the original MSRP came in at $60,600 and for the first year, most cars were sold for far more than MSRP. In fact, the first car my dealer sold was more than $100,000. So much for being priced out of the market. It took 5 years for used prices to fall to my $40,000 limit and I bought my first NSX in October of 2005. And my dream was realized.

As for the price of the next NSX, who knows, certainly not the dealer. But my logic says that $60,000 in 1991 is the equivalent of $100,000 today. So $100,000 to $110,000 seems like the right range that I would expect. By comparison, in 1991 a regular corvette started at $30,000 and the Zr1 was $60,000. Today a regular corvette starts at $50,000 and a Zr1 at $110,000. I expect the new NSX to be priced competitively with the ZR1 corvette, just as it was in 1991.

Back