• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Local Dealer says new NSX starting at 150k

Well I hope you are wrong because I REALLY don't want to see an 85K nsx 2.0. Yes, I want it to cost more and be a better more exclusive car. I'll buy one used if need be and I don't want to see them all over the place.

+11111111.

Exclusive, rare, worth to collect it and lastly it will not depreciate very much in the future. Don't want it to be a Vette every where on the road.

Last edited:
At $85k it won't be everywhere. Heck it will sell just a little better than the old NSX but the tech and price will bring a lot of people in. At that price it will be a "Smart Luxury" choice. At that price a V6 makes sense.

Nissan understood this but even so they don't sell that many and the market isn't flooded with GTR's. At $120-150k for a V6 they would sell so few it wouldn't be worth making. They don't want a repeat of NSX 1.0 they want it to sell well.

Also understand Honda is not interested in you buying a used one so the Acura dealer can make money on oil changes. New cars make the business plan not a car they think will sell better used. Seriously that means "FAIL" just like the old NSX.

Does Lexus care that they would make $$ on LFA? They want to show their technology.

I hope Honda would do the same.. show us the advance technology that will still be used 10 years from now.

Does Lexus care that they would make $$ on LFA? They want to show their technology.

I hope Honda would do the same.. show us the advance technology that will still be used 10 years from now.

I hope they care about making a new dual clutch transmission for the car (probably will never happen considering the low volume). That is the biggest criticism for the car. For that price league, it would only make sense to have a 7 speed DCT. Also it may even shave .3-.4 seconds off of the 1/4 mile...

+11111111.

Exclusive, rare, worth to collect it and lastly it will not depreciate very much in the future. Don't want it to be a Vette every where on the road.

The GTR isn't everywhere. They're pretty rare as they don't sell well. Same would hold true for a $85-100k NSX.

You do understand ( maybe not ) that the same tech on the NSX will actually show up first on the RL. That's what I keep repeating OVER and OVER to you guys at this point Honda is not showing that they will be putting anything exclusive on the next NSX other than an aluminum body and the parts being tuned for maximum performance. The same parts will be on the next gen RL , MDX and TL. Hence why I keep telling you guys I can't see why the price would be over a $100k.

The LFA isn't parts sharing with anything currently and it was set up to be a limited run. Once it's sold out that's it the NSX will be a regular production vehicle unless Honda decides otherwise.

I hope they care about making a new dual clutch transmission for the car (probably will never happen considering the low volume). That is the biggest criticism for the car. For that price league, it would only make sense to have a 7 speed DCT. Also it may even shave .3-.4 seconds off of the 1/4 mile...

Come on N Spec you've been on other threads where I posted the earthdreams tech info and it showed that Honda is introducing a new 7spd DCT.

The GTR isn't everywhere. They're pretty rare as they don't sell well. Same would hold true for a $85-100k .

Sorry WingZ, this time you did not get it right. The GTR has been a great success for Nissan when it comes to numbers of units sold. Even in its third year (2011) Nissan planned 700 Premiums and 400 Black Editions yet sold 1259 units. High demand has also allowed NNA to comfortably increase the Premium model MSRP from $73K for 2009 models to $97k for 2013 models now on order.

Sorry WingZ, this time you did not get it right. The GTR has been a great success for Nissan when it comes to numbers of units sold. Even in its third year (2011) Nissan planned 700 Premiums and 400 Black Editions yet sold 1259 units. High demand has also allowed NNA to comfortably increase the Premium model MSRP from $73K for 2009 models to $97k for 2013 models now on order.

Well actually I'm not as the original sales target for the GTR was 200 a month which equals out to 2400 a year. 1259 is well shy of that.
http://jalopnik.com/314347/tokyo-motor-show-nissan-gt+r-revealed

1200 units a year is not an everywhere car. That's what I was responding to. The NSX sold how many in it's first two years and now people are saying they don't want a big selling vehicle?? It's a contradiction.

The GTR has a been a great success marketing wise but not sales wise and Nissan didn't have to charge over $100k to prove it's point and offer a high tech butt kicking machine. Had it actually been not so one purpose ( Nissan is working onyear by year ) and been attractive it would have sold better.

Honda is addressing that with the NSX even though it's seems many here don't think it's attractive. I believe Honda will be attempting to get close to the GTR's performance with a much more attractive pkg and a better daily driver that will be more efficient.

Well actually I'm not as the original sales target for the GTR was 200 a month which equals out to 2400 a year. 1259 is well shy of that.
t.

You're right about the 200 per month but that was for first year of sale. And they did exceed that and did 2600+. Their forecast for following years were gradually reduced, and that is normal.
I agree with your NSX logic. A lot of over excited people here are making the wrong assumptions and missing the real intent of the car. I also share your enthusiasm for the concept . BTW my GTR is just as daily-driver easy as my NSX, maybe even a little more.

You're right about the 200 per month but that was for first year of sale. And they did exceed that and did 2600+. Their forecast for following years were gradually reduced, and that is normal.
I agree with your NSX logic. A lot of over excited people here are making the wrong assumptions and missing the real intent of the car. I also share your enthusiasm for the concept . BTW my GTR is just as daily-driver easy as my NSX, maybe even a little more.

Really?? Where did you find that? While not a GTR fan I still have great respect for it but it seems only the owners say it sells well but every article I come across with numbers shows different. Of course it is just referring to US sales. Like this from Autoblog on 03/04/2011

GT-R sales in the U.S. last year plunged 42.8 percent to 877 cars, with deliveries in December slowing to 38 units, dropping even further in January to only 22 units.

So in 2010 it seems they sold 877 cars and in 09 according to that number they sold around 2050. Is your 2600+ a worldwide number or are you referring to 08 sales? Thanks! Oh yeah what did they reduce the forecast for the following years to? Thanks again!

On the daily driver I'm just going by what guys at the track say, magazine articles plus a neighbor in that the car rides very very rough and is noisy. I've never ridden in one so I can't say either way but most people complained that the S2000 CR had an extremely rough ride but I daily drove one and was surprised that people said that since I found it soft.

For whatever it's worth (not much) but they just aired some coverage of the Detroit Auto Show on I think it was NBC. They gave the new NSX favorable reviews and labeled its price at "under 200k" and "well over 400hp".

I'm wondering how you guys feel? Do you think if the actual price was low 100k or even less they would have said "under 200k"? I feel like then they may have said "under 150K". Or does their estimate just mean nothing right now?

Personally I feel the price will come in the low 100K (maybe 120K) range but would be just fine with a 150K price tag also.

I'm not saying the source has any credibility but "under 200K" means between 100 and 200. Otherwise it would be "under 100K".

"well over 400" also means more than 400 but less than 500. Otherwise it would be "over 500" or "600" or whetever.

I think these are some vague Honda targets but I don't want to keep saying it and get the whole "parts sharing" speech from WingZ again. LOL

I'm not saying the source has any credibility but "under 200K" means between 100 and 200. Otherwise it would be "under 100K".

"well over 400" also means more than 400 but less than 500. Otherwise it would be "over 500" or "600" or whetever.

I think these are some vague Honda targets but I don't want to keep saying it and get the whole "parts sharing" speech from WingZ again. LOL

PARTS SHARING!!!!!!!!:tongue:

Come on N Spec you've been on other threads where I posted the earthdreams tech info and it showed that Honda is introducing a new 7spd DCT.

Sorry, I should have mentioned and highlighted the LFA should have the 7spd DCT instead of the 6spd slow-shifter that has been criticized repeatedly, especially for the money involved to get 50 milliseconds faster shifting for the track edition... I know the new NSX is supposed to have a DCT. It is widespread news.

To get on topic, I say $110,000 area if the car is knocking at or a bit over 500 hp by the time they debut it or closer to $92,000 if the car hovers on the lower end of 400 hp. That would make sense from a performance/value standpoint. I think that all of this fuss about price is still too early, but it would be fun to see who is closest. The car is still about 3 years out and they are still ironing out the engine/power specs so I say save the negativity for the final specs. Nonetheless, all of this big fuss about the new NSX just shows how important the NSX philosophy and name are to many enthusiasts.

I think the bigger issue is if Honda can keep this complex package under 3200 lbs while also not compromising the interior/exterior quality and detail. Anything heavier and they will have to increase power to the 550 hp range to compete with the AWD/4WD competitors. Luckily, the chassis choice is smaller and sleeker than all of the competition, which will gives it an edge for looks and weight :smile:

Sorry, haven't kept up with the thread.

I think the styling and the hybrid setup alone probably price this car much higher than what a lot want.

Pricing/performance comparison.

Hey guys don't know if anyone picked up this months C/D but they did a comparo on the new 911 Carrera S. The particulars are this.

1. Car starts at $97k and has a 3.8 DOHC flat six RWD
2. Car is aluminum-steel no carbon fiber that I read and is W 71.2 L 176.8 H 50.6 and with that tiny backseat weighs 3265lbs
3. 0-60 3.6 1/4 mile 12.0 @118
4. 1.00g on the skidpad and 148ft 70-0 braking
5. 400hp 325tq:wink:
6. 7spd dual clutch
7. MPG 17/24 test 18mpg

They tested a 500hp Z06 which at 3259lbs and a manual tranny got 0-60 3.5 and 1/4 11.6 also the new 545hp GTR at 3907 0-60 3.0 and 1/4 11.2.

I threw the others in since they are good for comparo but the new 911 numbers are what are the most interesting. We see that it doesn't take being under 3000lbs with exotic materials and "only" 400hp to make a respectable 0-60 or a base price over $100k ( GTR proved this long ago ).

So now the question becomes why would the NSX be "slow" with the 400hp set up and needs to be $120k to start. Is Porsche taking Honda to task with this car? I know they're looking for higher mpg and the Porsche got option crazy and cost $131 with the way they put options on but the essentials of base plus the 7spd dsg would be $101k. So a $100k+ NSX with similar specs and possibly performance ( no backseat :biggrin: ) is going to pull people ...why again? Even I can't say because of greater MPG with a straight face on this one so help me out.

Last edited:

Hey guys don't know if anyone picked up this months C/D but they did a comparo on the new 911 Carrera S. The particulars are this.

1. Car starts at $97k and has a 3.8 DOHC V6 RWD
2. Car is aluminum no carbon fiber that I read and is W 71.2 L 176.8 H 50.6 and with that tiny backseat weighs 3265lbs
6. 7spd dual clutch
7. MPG 17/24 test 18mpg

They tested a 500hp Z06 which at 3259lbs and a manual tranny got 0-60 3.5 and 1/4 11.6 also the new 545hp GTR at 3907 0-60 3.0 and 1/4 11.2.

I threw the others in since they are good for comparo but the new 911 numbers are what are the most interesting. We see that it doesn't take being under 3000lbs with exotic materials and "only" 400hp to make a respectable 0-60 or a base price over $100k ( GTR proved this long ago ).

So now the question becomes why would the NSX be "slow" with the 400hp set up and needs to be $120k to start. Is Porsche taking Honda to task with this car? I know they're looking for higher mpg and the Porsche got option crazy and cost $131 with the way they put options on but the essentials of base plus the 7spd dsg would be $101k. So a $100k+ NSX with similar specs and possibly performance ( no backseat :biggrin: ) is going to pull people ...why again? Even I can't say because of greater MPG with a straight face on this one so help me out.

AFAIK, most of the 991's construction is not aluminum it's steel based with the exception of the front hood. Porsche uses a flat-6 not a V6, lower center of gravity on a F6 relative to most V6's. Rear engined cars have a relative advantage when accelerating vs FR and even MR cars due to the location of the engine aiding with traction.

Most of the performance gains on the recent Porsche's is thanks to the PDK and it's relative low gearing vs their 6 speed manual. Car and Driver tested a 987.2 Boxster S PDK with 310HP and got a 0-60 of 4.3, Road and Track got a 0-60 of 4.1 with the 987.2 S PDK.

The 991 C2S with street tires posts comparable lap times to the 997.1 GT-3 with their R-compound tires at the Ring. Nissan with their GT-R has really pushed Porsche to improve on their products.

By the time the NSX 2.0 come around maybe the 991 C2S will have about 420-425 HP based on how Porsche tunes their engines over the lifetime of their various models.

BTW: It has been long rumored that the 991 and the 981 will have a hybrid drivetrain sometime in the future.

Last edited:
AFAIK, most of the 991's construction is not aluminum it's steel based with the exception of the front hood. Porsche uses a flat-6 not a V6, lower center of gravity on a F6 relative to most V6's. Rear engined cars have a relative advantage when accelerating vs FR and even MR cars due to the location of the engine aiding with traction.

Most of the performance gains on the recent Porsche's is thanks to the PDK and it's relative low gearing vs their 6 speed manual. Car and Driver tested a 987.2 Boxster S PDK with 310HP and got a 0-60 of 4.3, Road and Track got a 0-60 of 4.1 with the 987.2 S PDK.

The 991 C2S with street tires posts comparable lap times to the 997.1 GT-3 with their R-compound tires at the Ring. Nissan with their GT-R has really pushed Porsche to improve on their products.

By the time the NSX 2.0 come around maybe the 991 C2S will have about 420-425 HP based on how Porsche tunes their engines over the lifetime of their various models.

BTW: It has been long rumored that the 991 and the 981 will have a hybrid drivetrain sometime in the future.

Thanks that's a rookie mistake I shouldn't have made V6 vs flat. That's Porsche blasepmy and I apologize. Thanks when I read the article it said aluminum-steel assumed that to mean it was a combo of the two. Whatever it is Porsche saved 99lbs.

I was just telling some gearhead friends that the GTR seems to have done to Porsche what the NSX did to Ferrari.

Actually this new Carrera is within a hairs breadth of the 458's acceleration numbers and equals the R8 V10's numbers with better handling ( i.e higher skidpad #'s ) than either. While being quite a bit less than either to start. Hats off to Porsche! So I ask again why does the NSX 2.0 have to start at $120-150k when Porsche can do all of this with a rwd flat six??

I'll tell you what Honda does need to do is stop whining that everyone cried about their V6 while no one said anything about Porsche's flat 6. I've read this in numerous commentaries from Honda executives.

My answer is THAT'S RIGHT. Porsche developed an icon and they CONTINUED to improve the 911 over time, you didn't do squat. You don't have that legacy or reputation and people will continute to allow them to get away with what you, Honda, CAN NOT. Come back and ask this after you have developed a sports car for over 40 years instead of abandoning it.

1. Car starts at $97k and has a 3.8 DOHC flat six RWD
2. Car is aluminum-steel no carbon fiber that I read and is W 71.2 L 176.8 H 50.6 and with that tiny backseat weighs 3265lbs
6. 7spd dual clutch
7. MPG 17/24 test 18mpg

I agree that today this C&D comparo sets the standard that the new NSX must compete with. I do not think it needs to exceed these performance benchmarks, but it must be competitive with them, if it is to com and respect and more than $100k price.

What has already been pointed out is that in 3 more years, each of these competitive cars will improve, so the benchmark will raise before the NSX comes to market.

My question is what will Honda choose to improve on?

Will it be fuel economy? Who here is looking for a 30 MPG NSX?

Will it be drivability? Will they combine computer controlled SH-AWD to produce a car that allows mere mortals drive an NSX through a corner better than a skilled race car driver?

Besides corner harder, brake better and accelerate faster, what do you want your next NSX to do?

Last edited:
Well, we were all wrong.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/30/monroney-details-on-tony-starks-9-229-000-acura-from-the-av/

starkacuramonroney.jpg

More pix

http://collider.com/avengers-movie-tony-stark-car-images/140630/

Oh, and it is 100% a NSX with body kit. Look at the interior door panels and the shifter.

Last edited:
Back