• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Loose door brace

My passenger door developed a rattle. Upon inspection I found that the brace that is adhered to the inner surface of the door is loose. I can wiggle it and get a lot of movement and noise. There appears to be some adhesive material between the brace and the door's inner surface, but it has lost all adhesion.

How does one fix such a problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Michael:frown:

I've not had my doors part, so I don't know what materials & parts are involved. But, if its aluminum to aluminum, epoxy is an excellent adhesive for aluminum. Just rough up both surfaces with sandpaper before applying the epoxy. I would use a medium to slow drying epoxy as they are usually stronger than the quick-dry types.

Does anyone know if some other special adhesive was used, for example, to meet some crash safety criteria?

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

thanks for your response. The screwdriver is touching the brace that is loose. The whitish material is the adhesive that is no longer adhering.

Michael

Attachments

• NSX door photo.jpg
    NSX door photo.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The screwdriver is touching the brace that is loose. You can see a whitish adhesive that is no longer adhering.

you are going to need some flexible seam seam sealer (some people call it "sprayable"seam sealer) , don't use epoxy or rigid seam sealer because it will crack and fall off , you can get it in a caulking gun tube or a can (brush-on) it is very sticky and about the consistency of silicone , just be sure to squirt/brush it in between the gap so you won't have any metal to metal contact.

you are going to need some flexible seam seam sealer (some people call it "sprayable"seam sealer) , don't use epoxy or rigid seam sealer because it will crack and fall off , you can get it in a caulking gun tube or a can (brush-on) it is very sticky and about the consistency of silicone , just be sure to squirt/brush it in between the gap so you won't have any metal to metal contact.

Correct! :D Just go to a body shop supply store and buy 'seam sealer'. comes in a tube or caulking gun, but all you need is a small tube. Use a putty knife or single edged razor and scrape off as best you can, the old stuff, and apply the seam sealer.

How about using some expandable wall sealer that you can get at any Home Depot? It fills every crack, remains flexible, and has a fill tube that can fit into the limited access area.

How about using some expandable wall sealer that you can get at any Home Depot? It fills every crack, remains flexible, and has a fill tube that can fit into the limited access area.

Definately do not use that. You don't need to fill a 1/2" gap :p

You only need to squeeze some sealer between the door skin and side impact beam, which i presume is less than 1/16" to prevent the rattle/noise.

Back