• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Love bug season is here :(

A short cruise up the interstate yesterday and I got tagged by dozens of the sorry bastages.

Yuck!

Do these things exist anywhere else or we Floridians the only ones so blessed?

bodypainter said:
A short cruise up the interstate yesterday and I got tagged by dozens of the sorry bastages.

Yuck!

Do these things exist anywhere else or we Floridians the only ones so blessed?
i'm a california native, have lived in ca, wa, il & fl, traveled to many of the rest of the states (also europe and beautiful s.e. asia some decades ago)... have never experienced them anywhere else.

combined with the really old people, hurricanes and overwhelming prejudices (when i lived there, '71-78), lovebugs were among my top 5 reasons for moving out of the state.

ewwwww, hate 'em.

I live in S. Cali.
Whenever I drive from L.A. to San Francisco up and down the 5 freeway, I'd get tagged too.

But no, they're not a common occurrence when driving just around town.

As many of you might know, CA had a very, very wet winter this year. The good news to all of that is that the hills have been very lush and green and as you'd imagine so have all the plants. That means more bugs. In fact, there was an article about a month or so ago in the LA Times detailing the huge increase in local butterfly population.

I can tell you that when I drove to Spring Training in AZ this year, the Infiniti G35 that we were driving got destroyed. We had to wash the car three times to get all the bug crap off of it. Just nasty.

When I lived in RSM, I would not even ride my motorcycle on the toll road at this time of the year because of all the bugs. You can't imagein how much one of those buggers hurt if your face plate if flipped up and you get drilled. Not to mention the mess they make. :confused:

Texas seems to also be blessed. Just like FL, seems to be during May and September. Last September was the worst I have ever seen in my life anywhere. They were even getting into the house! Oddly enough, they were attracted to white surfaces (window blinds, white shirts, white painted surfaces of the house). Not sure why that is.

Back