• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LoveFab's Big Power Winter build!

Last year we maxed out our previous setup with just under 800WHP on a very “humbling” Mustang dyno:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94929

The setup was retired and was recently installed on a pristine 2002 NSX, info can be viewed here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99852

The primary goal is to continue to push the horsepower envelope through rigorous R&D, which eventually trickles down into our production kits. We are happy to report that we have nearly 25 turbo systems in the field without a single failure. The primary concern about our turbo system is the price. The results speak for themselves; quality is always worth the price. It’s always less expensive to buy quality parts and service first than to cut corners, break motors, and rebuild again. Through feedback from Science of Speed, Driving Ambition, and various other customers, we continue to tailor our turbo systems to achieve the primary goal; reliable horsepower. We are thoroughly excited to continue this quest!

This year’s Big Power build will be publicly chronicled because we have yet to see anyone share any REAL info in regards to turbocharging NSX’s. We are guilty of this too, but only with our production turbo systems. There are just too many secrets that would be given away by posting even a single picture. Since this Big Power build will probably never reach production(how many people want to cut out their trunks!?), I’m happy to report that it’ll public from inception to completion!

To start, I’ll list the specs:

Comptech headers, cut back and enlarged to 2.5” collectors;
2.5” Secondaries;
GT4508R turbocharger with TiAL’s Stainless Steel V-band housing;
TiAL 60mm wastegate;
5” exhaust;
3” dumptube.
*The list will be updated as the parts are figured and added.

The cooling side of the turbo system is still being calculated. I do know that two massive coolers are being employed to chill the water flowing through the intercooler. Once these calculations are complete, and the parts are built, I will post the pictures.

Here is what we have done thus far! The 5” exhaust shakes pebbles on the floor. Not exactly police-friendly. I’ll post more pictures when we finish a few customer cars.

CodysGT45RNSX%20016.jpg

CodysGT45RNSX%20010.jpg

CodysGT45RNSX%20024.jpg

looks good cody....i guess cutting out the trunk is the "in" thing to do in '08
i only enlarged to a 2.25 collector, and a 4 inch downpipe...but im not going to 800+ either :)
now i cant post any pics :(

Trunks are over rated anyways, especially when you can put a hitch on that and tow a trailer when its needed (ie FOR EST FEST CODY!!!!).

Looks really clean. I love it.

looks good cody....i guess cutting out the trunk is the "in" thing to do in '08
i only enlarged to a 2.25 collector, and a 4 inch downpipe...but im not going to 800+ either :)
now i cant post any pics :(

Looks similar (placement) to Factor X's Unlimited Time Attack car...

Looks nice Cody.

And yeah, I think we are all limited by the space we are working with. My car is going the same route, so we'll all end up with similar setups in the end.

The 45R is indeed a big turbo!

It's rated to around 1100HP and we will push it as far as we are comfortable; however, there are no set power "goals". People thought that I was crazy to run the GT4294R on my last setup, and this turbo is substantially larger. However, I calculated that the previous GT4294R would spool around 5000rpm and I was dead on. I'm projecting that the 45R will hit 20psi closer to 6000rpm, and should begin to spool well before that(3000rpm), so the car shouldn't feel "laggy". However, It'll definitely be a hand full! If you've seen my in-car YouTube videos without any kind of wastegate tuning, you'll understand! Good thing there is VSS based boost control with the AEM EMS, I'll definitely need it with this turbo setup.

I chose the turbo placement based on oil drain height, downpipe fitment, wastegate placement, and keeping the turbo below the centerline of the engine for superior weight transfer properties.

The car will still be street-driven and will see a wide array of motorsports competition next year. I do have a few 1/4 mile goals but I'll keep quiet until we hit them.

Thanks for the praise thus far guys! The kind words help to ease my worries of cutting the car. The only good thing is that the trunk is easily replaceable should the need ever arise.

I'll be announcing a few new sponsors in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

Any plans on modding the trans or completely replacing it so it could handle the extra power?

Cody,

Good luck with your winter project and don't worry about cutting the trunk out (I did it a loooong time ago). All your reasoning is sound and with your progress thus far, you should do very very well in reaching your goals. With my twin setup, it was the downpipes that was our bottleneck, something I have yet to do, but now I'm on to other projects so please press on! I'm sure you have everything you need, but let me know if I can be of any help.

Best Regards,

Danny

The transmission is a touchy subject; literally and figuratively. The stock transmission lasted two years at 550-600whp. Three weeks after our 771whp dyno run(and directly after the drag race videos), 3rd gear decided to lose all of it's teeth. The replacement stock transmission has held since then, but I know I'm on borrowed time.

There are a couple of options I'm considering, one of which is a designated "dragstrip" driveline setup that'll be strictly for drag racing. The other possible scenario involves using a stock driveline behind a relatively "detuned" engine for anything else but drag racing. We will see, and funding does play a large part. I do have a business to run and unfortunately pimping out the shop ride with no reguard to budget doesn't fall into that category :frown:

Thanks for the praise Danny! Any hints to your "other projects"? :biggrin:

Cody,

so what you are saying is that the nsx tranny can handle 500 rwhp no problem? another question, for the OBDI lovefab turbo kit, whats the horsepower output?

Thanks for the praise Danny! Any hints to your "other projects"? :biggrin:

Hi Cody,

Nothing automotive, just strictly business related. Have fun!

Danny

Thanks Danny!

Lotus-

500whp with "no problems" is a stretch. Like anything, if you abuse it, it'll break. I have always been very mechicanically sympathetic with drivetrains, but 500whp will usually keep the tranny in one piece. Anything much above that and you'd better have some spares on the shelf!

Our OBD1 Turbo System will easily produce 600whp. The Budget System will easily produce 400whp and probably more once we perform the proper testing.

what i want is the OBD1 kit, not the budget, if im gonna get a kit, its an all out kit, but 600 is to much for me, (more like to much for my tranny), so 500 is a good number to stick with. I watched your youtube clip where you broke your drive shaft, does the kit include a stronger drive shaft?

Our turbo systems do not provide any stronger driveline parts unless they are ordered.

I had performed over 10 full-powered launches throughout the week with slicks or very sticky drag radials on stock 117k mile axles. Again, the driveline was abused, and it just proves my point. However, typical street driving shouldn't reveal any issues unless you're a stoplight hero.

lets be real here for a second. with a turbo upgrade ($15k), i need bigger break upgrade($3-5k) and a suspenson upgrade($2k-5) and chasis upgrade($1k-3k). all in all around $30k plus the cost of NSX. :eek: damn, that turbo sound so nice with a blow off valve, just makes it worth it.

The factory NSX brake and suspension systems are adequate for control and safety.

Sounds like you're dreaming up quite the NSX! Don't forget the engine build thats required for power levels over 400whp. The build choices range from $8,000.00-$15,000.00. The outcome can be an NSX thats capable of crushing most of the world's Supercar competition for a fraction of the price.

The factory NSX brake and suspension systems are adequate for control and safety.

Sounds like you're dreaming up quite the NSX! Don't forget the engine build thats required for power levels over 400whp. The build choices range from $8,000.00-$15,000.00. The outcome can be an NSX thats capable of crushing most of the world's Supercar competition for a fraction of the price.

im willing to pay the 15k its no problem for over 500rwhp. that 15k is included with the instal + tuning?

I don't understand your puzzled figure Billy.

The 2002 that we just completed slowed and turned exceptionally well with factory suspension and brakes; even with well over 400whp. In our experience, street driven NSX's are fully capable of handling copious amounts of additional power with the factory underpinnings.

However, if I were running the car at a road course, my view would be entirely different. The shop car that this thread is centered around runs adjustable coilovers and Stoptech front brakes, because the car will see a wide variety of tracks and conditions.

Back