• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LoveFab's Big Power Winter build!

We did run out of turbo...

The GT4294R becomes very inefficient at power levels above 900CrankHP. When we were approaching 800Wheel hp on a low-reading dyno we began to hit dimishing returns when we tried to raise the boost.

ahh forgot you had the 94mm, i was thinking about the 4202 thats good for another 100hp. The GT45 is going to make rediculous power:eek:

Exactly my thoughts! How much power and whether or not the drivetrain will hold up while on the dyno are the primary questions. I'm working on a couple of different drivetrain options, but I'm weighing cost vs. benefit, and driveability effects. It'd be easy to pull the trigger on an all-out Drag setup, but it'd ruin the car for street and road course racing. Decisions, decisions.

Hopefully within a few weeks here, I will at least be able to hit the dyno. We'll be all caught up with customer cars by the 29th, so I should be able to devote a couple of days to the car and finish it up for the dyno. With any luck, I'll also be able to slip a cage into the car so we can drive south to hit a few tracks before spring. The fact that car is probably capable of 9's in the 1/4 mile on pump gas means I'll definately be caging the car before heading 15 hours south for a weekend

Exactly my thoughts! How much power and whether or not the drivetrain will hold up while on the dyno are the primary questions. I'm working on a couple of different drivetrain options, but I'm weighing cost vs. benefit, and driveability effects. It'd be easy to pull the trigger on an all-out Drag setup, but it'd ruin the car for street and road course racing. Decisions, decisions.

Hopefully within a few weeks here, I will at least be able to hit the dyno. We'll be all caught up with customer cars by the 29th, so I should be able to devote a couple of days to the car and finish it up for the dyno. With any luck, I'll also be able to slip a cage into the car so we can drive south to hit a few tracks before spring. The fact that car is probably capable of 9's in the 1/4 mile on pump gas means I'll definately be caging the car before heading 15 hours south for a weekend

thats what sucks about making power you start reaching limits and more money has to be spent :rolleyes: . im curious to see what drivetrain will be able to handle the power. as far as a cage goes its going to suck adding 75-100lbs to a street car. Are you doing it for your own safety or track regulations? I use to run at IHRA tracks so they wouldnt kick me out, their regulations are very minimal.

I'm caging the car for personal safety as well as track regulations.

I have run the car at NHRA and IHRA tracks toward the end of last year. They caught on quickly that I was hitting the brakes before the traps and still running mid 10's.

Needless to say, I was kicked off of two local tracks in two weeks.

you have to make it a total sleeper like the "super sleeper nova"..

stock NSX rims on stock looking customer's car(but have a cage anyways) and be like.."yeah i think it runs 14s...so i have heard. my first time out"

the look on their faces will be priceless.(then submit to spike TV)

The car is a little too far down the road for sleeper. Roll cage(soon), huge brakes with wheels needed to clear them, and the 5 inch exhaust that should be audible from any surrounding county.

The sleeper thought has definately crossed my mind :biggrin:

Oh, the Nova is absolutely badass, I've seen it several times in-person :wink:

Well I was able to spend a few more minutes on the car while waiting on some delayed parts for other projects.

DiffuserandAccusumpPics%20006.jpg

And a promised picture of the Trans Am. The intake manifold is being replaced by a different unit that will move the throttle body up and toward the firewall. The 60mm wastegate will be placed directly before the turbo in exact wastegate priority fashion.

TransAmPictures%20001.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry, I have a little accusump too. Its not the size of the sump that matters but how hard it can pump when its needed to keep things wet.

Please keep your minds out of the gutters guys!, Goodness. :rolleyes:

J. R.

ROFL!!!

That was just a great response, I got nothin' on that. :smile:

It was tempting Dave and J.R., but being that Prime is the classy place that it is, I left it at that ;)

A few different variables are on the fence, but I'm guestimating that the turbo should spool somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 rpm on the street. That might seem "high" to most people, but don't forget that in stock form, that is where VTEC engages.

In other words,I don't think the car will have a "laggy" feel at all.

And hey, if it's too much for the road course or daily driving, I could slap on a another 42R, change the map and rock it out. This could all be done in five minutes with 13mm, 10mm, 11mm, and 7/8" wrenches because of the way things were designed with turbo mounting.

Do all of your turbo system options require the cutting out of the rear floor from the trunk? I would be concerned about the impact that has on the cars strength.

Meeyatch1 said:
Do all of your turbo system options require the cutting out of the rear floor from the trunk? I would be concerned about the impact that has on the cars strength.

NO! Our production turbo systems require NO chassis modifications whatsoever. Sorry for the abrupt answer, I just want this to be cleared up ASAP.

If you saw what was removed for the shop car's turbo system, you would realize what little impact removing the trunk skin would have on rigidity. Honestly, it looks like it was an "afterthought" from Honda.

"Hrmmm...where do we put this tool kit now?" Just looks that way to me, it's probably an incorrect assumption.

On a somewhat related matter, Cody, do you guys offer a replacement tool kit that sits where the tool kit does but looks like this piece?

DiffuserandAccusumpPics%20006.jpg

I mean seriously, why not market a phony trunk turbo set up for the posers amongst us who like to stand around in parking lots with our trunks up? You could record the turbo sound with the BOV and we could all play it through our OEM tape decks when we drive, too!

That would rock

Well I received the turbo.

Drumroll please....

"Retarded fast" is the usual comment from the lucky few who have gotten a ride.

I'm having trouble street tuning because of traction issues well above 100mph - still on pump gas. I'm literally scared to increase the boost levels.

Here are a few shots:

Trying something new with the brakes. The results thus far have been absolutely fantastic!!!
Brakes%20007.jpg

Quick turbo shot:
five.jpg

I'm EXTREMELY busy right now, but maybe this weekend I can try to post a video or two...

"Retarded fast" is the usual comment from the lucky few who have gotten a ride.

I'm having trouble street tuning because of traction issues well above 100mph - still on pump gas. I'm literally scared to increase the boost levels.

I know what you mean, I'm temporarily thinking about backing off the numbers you and I are both looking for and taking it a step down for just that reason. I'm not sure I want to jump right into that realm, like you said it literally is a bit scary.

Setup looks good and efficient, it must be insane to drive.

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the brake setup. So far I love it! More testing is needed before I dub it a "success", but thus far it has proven itself.

I finally installed some much needed newer and larger rubber. 235/40/17 on the front, and 315/30/18 on the rear.

With the larger rear tires, traction in third gear at 10psi is iffy at best. Traction at 12psi is definately lacking; and at 14psi, well, that's just plain unsafe! I think when air and road surface temperatures warm up that traction will improve, but right now I'm quite literally scared of the car.

One thing I want to note is that the car is perfectly driveable in day-to-day traffic, as well as light to moderate acceleration. It's just WOT that has proven to be more "fun" than I'm used to, LOL. I've averaged 22MPG over the past week and drove Packages to UPS last night. That's saying something considering I'm running 1000cc injectors and have performed quite a bit of WOT tuning during my driving time.

On a sidenote, it looks like I'll be at Gingerman Raceway on the 6th for some pre-season shake-down runs. I won't bother making the trip if there is a chance of inclement weather, but if the weather looks nice, I'll be out and running with video footage of some sort.

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the brake setup. So far I love it! More testing is needed before I dub it a "success", but thus far it has proven itself.

I finally installed some much needed newer and larger rubber. 235/40/17 on the front, and 315/30/18 on the rear.

With the larger rear tires, traction in third gear at 10psi is iffy at best. Traction at 12psi is definately lacking; and at 14psi, well, that's just plain unsafe! I think when air and road surface temperatures warm up that traction will improve, but right now I'm quite literally scared of the car.

One thing I want to note is that the car is perfectly driveable in day-to-day traffic, as well as light to moderate acceleration. It's just WOT that has proven to be more "fun" than I'm used to, LOL. I've averaged 22MPG over the past week and drove Packages to UPS last night. That's saying something considering I'm running 1000cc injectors and have performed quite a bit of WOT tuning during my driving time.

On a sidenote, it looks like I'll be at Gingerman Raceway on the 6th for some pre-season shake-down runs. I won't bother making the trip if there is a chance of inclement weather, but if the weather looks nice, I'll be out and running with video footage of some sort.

Cody,

Looks great, only a matter of time before it all really comes together. You are right, the brake (proportioning/boost?) setup looks awesome and to me is the most innovative part of your current entire build up. Keep it up and much success this spring.

Regards,

Danny

I wanted to comment but I was not sure what I was looking at and what you were trying to achieve. I do not have much experience with brakes. What is it?

Cody, I saw that and thought that it looked very innovative for our cars; just didnt say anything.

Im looking for a 4 wheel brake set up. I dont want to go too crazy $$$ wise, but Im looking for something used and reasonable.

PM me if you know of something or have ideas for me.

BTW - you coming to Est Fest? You didnt reserve a room! The hotel is very close to being full of us but we have had one cancellation who is holding a room at the deeply discounted rate. YOU SHOULD COME! Passports worked out?

Back