• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MAC OR PC which is better?

Hmmm only four pages? I think we need some more fuel for banter over this important issue.

PCs are plasticky, nerdy and un-cool. Macs are sleek, fast and completely amazing.

Discuss...

Hmmm only four pages? I think we need some more fuel for banter over this important issue.

PCs are plasticky, nerdy and un-cool. Macs are sleek, fast and completely amazing.

Discuss...

And made of ALUMINUM!! Just like our NSX!! .. Mac

lol

Macs are ideal for professional graphic artist, agencies, people that work with media. The rest of the world can debate all they want but 99.9% of the high end agencies/designers use Apple computers as their as their weapon of choice.

I think this is a common misconception. There's no inherent advantage a Mac has over a PC these days. If you want to go back many years, then yes, there were very good reasons that most high end designers preferred Mac's. They had seamless support for multiple displays, had 24b displays, SCSI drives, and some of the Digital Content Creation (DCC) SW was ONLY available on the Mac.

Fast forward to today and driving multiple displays is just as straightforward under Windows, some of the high end DCC SW is ONLY available for Windows, and some HW is only available for Windows, eg. DCC specific workstation graphics cards. Although there are still a lot of designers using Mac's, there is no good reason that they couldn't be using a PC... and in some cases, the tools they need are ONLY available under Windows.

You can still argue that there are inherent HW advantages, some of which are only available today on a Mac, eg. Thunderbolt but the case for this is somewhat weak.

On the flip side, people still arguing that there is limited SW choice on the Mac seem to have missed the memo that you can run any Windows SW on your Mac. Either through bootcamp where your machine is effectively transformed 100% into a Windows box, or through a VM like Parallels where you can seamlessly run your Windows applications alongside your Mac ones.

Last edited:
This whole argument is useless, but I guess it's entertaining for people. Thankfully, it has not degraded into an Engadget thread.

I think for me personally, I like buying products with high fit and finish, both in an outward sense and more importantly, inward. The NSX is an example of this, where when you dig down into how it has been conceived, designed, engineered, and executed, it leaves you with a feeling of satisfaction that you are buying a high quality car all the way through. When you jack up your car and look at the hollow aluminum braces under the engine, or the forged aluminum control arms, you are looking on with admiration. With this car there is none of the feeling of the product being super snazzy and shiny on the outside, but hollow and cheap inside. We can all think of automobiles which look awesome but are compromised either in engineering or the interior.

I use a MacBook Pro at work (in a decidedly "enterprise" environment), and I also have one at home for personal use. As a product, it gives me a similar impression as the NSX--that it takes common hardware components similar to a PC and integrates them into a very nice package. Lots of us drool over billet machined aluminum car parts--why can one not do the same with a laptop chassis? When it came out 3-4 years ago, it was the first laptop that felt like a rock when you picked it up by a corner. Just like our NSX rocks on uneven jack stands. :biggrin: The decision to make the battery bigger by making it semi-permanent was also the right call in my experience--as is the innovative fine-grained cell-by-cell charging circuitry that Apple uses to preserve their cycle life. The MacBook does not have every feature under the sun, but it has the features I need, and the feel of using it is satisfying.

The OS is more difficult to compare, as what we are accustomed to greatly influences our perceptions. It seems like everyone is suitably impressed with Win 7, and people are very satisfied with Snow Leopard as well. So I'll leave that debate for another post.

Last edited:
Apple's value has nothing to do with their PC line.

Understood. Somewhat off technical topic, however, thought it may be of some interest to any finance and marketing types following anything Apple. Mac is a major part of the brand.

A new investigation by two NGO's into working conditions at two major Chinese factories run by Foxconn responsible for pumping out iPads might make you angrier than a bird trying to destroy a bunch of green pigs, reports The Guardian. Among their findings was that after a rash of suicides at the factories, workers were forced to sign pledges promising not to commit suicide and to instead "treasure their lives."

In addition, they had to promise that if they did kill themselves, their families would only seek the minimum in legal damages.

Apple told The Guardian in a statement that they're, "committed to ensuring the highest standards of social responsibility throughout our supply base. Apple requires suppliers to commit to our comprehensive supplier code of conduct as a condition of their contracts with us. We drive compliance with the code through a rigorous monitoring programme, including factory audits, corrective action plans and verification measures."

The research by the Center for Research on Multinational Corporations and Students & Scholars Against Corporate Misbehavior also found:
•Illegal overtime is common. One payslip stated 98 hours of overtime. The legal limit is 36.
•Workers were pushed to only take one day off out of 13 days in order to meet the demand for iPad orders
•Public humiliation is required in some factories to discipline poorly performing workers

This is the human cost of the race towards the bottom that has become our consumer product cycle. You want fast, cheap, and in massive quantities? Somewhere, someone will bear that cost.

Foxconn says it is on track to making 100 million iPads a year by 2013.

http://consumerist.com/2011/05/chin...ed-to-sign-pledges-to-not-commit-suicide.html

Apple's value has nothing to do with their PC line.

Have you ever own a Mac? OSX is probably the most stable OS out there at consumer level.

PC dominated the market because of what Bill Gates did back in the days, if Mac the did same, I highly doubt PC will dominate today.

GUI wise, Mac OS is probable the easiest, also if you ever use any iOS devices, and is enjoying the product, there is absolutely no reason why you should consider a PC. BTW, the new Macbook Pro is consider the best right now in the market.

Regardless of what we say, all you have to do is go to an Apple store and play with the computer. You will see the difference.

Personally, I just can't stand the GUI on Windows. It is absolutely ridiculous after almost 3 decades, they are still running on the same platform.

I've been a loooooong time purchaser of IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads. My current 2 T61p's are long in the tooth, and I can honestly say I am not too crazy about anything that is out there. No 4:3 displays anymore, no IPS/OLED panels, and Lenovo quality while OK is nowhere near what IBM once was in the T4x series. I travel about 30% of my life, and use a dock for the other 70%. I intend this to be my desktop replacement, preferably a 13 / 14" portable with a 3-5 year life.

I'm somewhere between a Lenovo T420s, a Lenovo X1, or a Macbook pro 13" running win7.

Thoughts? Other options?

I have been using PC for over 10 years. All my jobs as a video game artist have been with a PC. Right now I am making a Iphone game at home so I had to buy a MAC. As a guy who has always been on a PC I have to say that the MAC has some cool stuff. For one I like that it is easy to use and I have not got a virus at all. On my PC I get one every month because I am always looking for stuff to download that I need. But they both have ups and downs. I think that both are great at what they do. To develope my iphone game I need both so to me they both are something I need. The only thing about a MAC I really hate is the price.

Have you ever own a Mac? OSX is probably the most stable OS out there at consumer level.

Netviper is talking about their company value, as in market capitalization. And he's right, only 20% of Apple's revenue for the last 2 quarters comes from Mac sales. The iPhone is by far their highest grossing (and most valuable) product.

PC dominated the market because of what Bill Gates did back in the days, if Mac the did same, I highly doubt PC will dominate today.

What exactly did Bill Gates "do"?

GUI wise, Mac OS is probable the easiest, also if you ever use any iOS devices, and is enjoying the product, there is absolutely no reason why you should consider a PC. BTW, the new Macbook Pro is consider the best right now in the market.

Regardless of what we say, all you have to do is go to an Apple store and play with the computer. You will see the difference.

Considered the best right now in the market - what an incredibly vague and subjective statement. Considered by who? Best for what? What if a user needs Blu-Ray? Or wants max performance, i.e. more than 8GB RAM? RAID? Better graphics than a Radeon 6750M? A docking station? Display output to more than 1 monitor?

Personally, I just can't stand the GUI on Windows. It is absolutely ridiculous after almost 3 decades, they are still running on the same platform.

It appears you're confused - Apple's GUI from 3 decades ago is MUCH more similar to today's than Windows. Windows didn't get the taskbar until Windows 95, whereas Apple has always had the same "overall" layout since OS 1.0.

Attachments

• Apple_Macintosh_Desktop.png
    Apple_Macintosh_Desktop.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Snow_Leopard_Desktop.jpg
    Snow_Leopard_Desktop.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Windows1.0.png
    Windows1.0.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 800px-Windows_7.jpg
    800px-Windows_7.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 18
Netviper is talking about their company value, as in market capitalization. And he's right, only 20% of Apple's revenue for the last 2 quarters comes from Mac sales. The iPhone is by far their highest grossing (and most valuable) product.

Considered the best right now in the market - what an incredibly vague and subjective statement. Considered by who? Best for what? What if a user needs Blu-Ray? Or wants max performance, i.e. more than 8GB RAM? RAID? Better graphics than a Radeon 6750M? A docking station? Display output to more than 1 monitor?

It appears you're confused - Apple's GUI from 3 decades ago is MUCH more similar to today's than Windows. Windows didn't get the taskbar until Windows 95, whereas Apple has always had the same "overall" layout since OS 1.0.

the jokes are telling.

what is the difference between a creative genius like jobs and a smart entrepreneur like gates?

about 60 billion dollars.

how many MSFT engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

none. MSFT just has bill gates declare darkness the new standard.:biggrin:

Looks like a very credible news site.:rolleyes:

Just wait to see what happens when Steve Jobs dies. He isn't exactly in good health.

Oh, and I'm sure you can find dozens of news stories that praise Ballmer's running of Microsoft? It's always telling when someone engages in an ad hominem attack instead of responding on the issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

PS: Classy comment about Jobs.

Last edited:

Mac sales are doing very, very well. 28% over last year, many of these sold to first time Apple buyers (formerly owned PCs). Continued gains in market share too. It's not exactly like iPhone/iPad is the only game in town for Apple.

http://www.9to5mac.com/62853/apple-...2-revenue-of-24-67b-95-percent-profit-growth/

PS: Classy comment about Jobs.

thats funny coming from someone who does nothing but trash other companies all day and cite blogs that nobody has ever heard of. Do you have anything good to say about a company that isnt Apple?

Last edited:

Really?

Assuming you are serious, he realized the potential market for PCs and was able to purchase the rights to QDOS (through Paul Allen's contacts) and then license it to many hardware makers. Unlike Apple's vertical integration of hardware and software, Gates saw more money by focusing on software wherein the software was necessary for the hardware to work. Apple bottlenecked themselves, while MSFT expanded their royalty base.

IIRC, when he met with IBM (or maybe it was Intel) he didn't have jack! He had no operating system, but negotiated a deal with them (or began talks) and then went to buy the OS.

Talk about balls.

Bill Gates is def the smarter/more aggressive businessman.

I credit Jobs with vision, an eye for design, and simplicity (which may be due to his lack of technical expertise). The reason why Apple products are so easy to use is because Jobs is not an engineer, and he selects, chooses and tells his designers to make simple easy-to-use products. I wouldn't necessarily call him a creative genius, in response to someone else's comment.

People tend to think Jobs invented the ipod, mac, etc. These were all designed, engineered, etc. by people under Jobs. I give Jobs the credit for the overall path the company has taken, and the products he has selected to put into production/fund.

and I am typing this on my MBP. Nothing against PCs, but for now I prefer the mac interface. Particularly, the trackpad and the multi-touch gestures (and expose, spaces, etc.) will keep me on macs until the tech goes to PCs. I think Apple has patents on that tech.

Last edited:
Back