• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

The 'Acura DNA' is their way of referencing that they are going back to the basics that made them stand out originally. Building cars with a fun to drive performance edge....just like they did when they first came out back in 1987. Personally, my favorite time for Acura was the early years for their fun to drive cars. If I could have a garage with a perfect 1990 Legend LS Coupe, 1991 NSX, and 1992 Integra GS-R, I would be in heaven. Now THOSE cars were fun!

1989 LEGEND COUPE - fantastic vehicle. my wife and i hated to see it go, newer acura styles sucked, wound up with BMW 540.
the new accord coupe is a little like the 1989 legend.

if you mean on the concept, I don't think it looks bad, but it could look better. If you mean Acura in general, they have a big problem they need to fix:

http://jalopnik.com/5716035/half-of-acura-walk+aways-hate-its-newish-nose
Ya .. I saw it .. and the other two Acura reveals on Monday still have ugly beaks .. I'm just saying lets recognize that the NSX concept is a major departure when it comes to this particular feature. Let's not through the baby out with the bathwater as the saying goes.

1989 LEGEND COUPE - fantastic vehicle. .

That was one of the best cars I bought. I *LOVED* Acura back then. Now thinking back I realize how much love I lost for the brand. Back then they were the best from Japan and the best in their price class period.

How come no one has commented on the flying butresses yet? I think that is an awesome design detail!

No one said anything cause there is nothing wrong with it.

And yeah, it IS an awesome design detail. It better make production. Love the front lights too. Now, about that beak...

Okay, some additional updates for everyone.

A small group of us (about 8 people) had the opportunity to sit down with the Vice President of Operations for American Honda, and also one of the Senior PR gentlemen, for a closed door round table where they asked us for 100% honest feedback about the cars, the perception of the company as a whole, and anything else relating to Honda and Acura products. They were very clear that they wanted us to be honest. No sugar coating. They needed feedback from real people.

I took your words to the table and conveyed to them that a concern of current and past NSX owners right now is that with 3 years until production time, many people are concerned that the car they see at the show will be nothing like production. I also asked them how likely it was for the car to change dimensions due to it being a non-running design study more than it was a real car, and was told with great certainty that they could absolutely make the car a fully operational vehicle without changing the dimensions of the car at all. We were also informed that they do not want to make any significant changes to the car's appearance, and that the only thing they could not control would be any government safety standards that would be mandated between now and then that may or may not impact the vehicle's design. To paraphrase their statement, they could absolutely make the car we saw on stage, and make it perform at the highest levels of exotic car performance.

Additionally, I conveyed to them the concern about the performance of the car. That current NSX owners, and past ones looking at this as a possible return to NSX ownership, are looking for a certain type of vehicle feel and performance level. Also, I inquired about their benchmark setting for this car since it is a full 3 years out. My point with them was that if they are using cars like the Ferrari 458 Italia, Audi R8, and Nissan GT-R, as comparable models, all of those will be due for a replacement at the time of the new NSXs introduction, and that the last thing NSX owners want is a repeat of last time. Where the NSX was current for about 2 - 3 years, and then was outdated when Ferrari came out with the F355, and Porsche unveiled a new 911, and so on.

As a final note, I mentioned that many NSX owners are a bit hesitant to get excited since we were all burned when we thought the HSC was coming out, and never did. Also, without pricing being in the cards yet, they needed to remember their target market and not price themselves out of the game with what could be an extraordinary car.

It is my honest opinion that Honda / Acura wants to do this right. The feedback I got from the VP of Operations, all of the senior PR people, the head designers, and also Jeff Conrad (VP of Sales for Honda North America), was that Honda was aware that they slipped up previously and that a veritable reinvention of the brand was in order. They seem to be taking the steps needed to really get back to their roots and make fun to drive luxury vehicles, and that the new NSX is their halo car again to show that they can build amazing performance cars when they want to. The slogan 'Acura DNA' was heard a lot. Expect to hear it more as they work on getting back to their roots.

I know some of you are still going to be all 'bah-humbug'. But having actually been there. Having seen the genuine pride on the faces of the entire American Honda team. Having heard first hand the excitement with which they spoke of the NSX and the new direction of the company. I simply say give them the benefit of the doubt. I really think we will be seeing great things in the near future, and they want to make the NSX the biggest example of this new corporate vision and direction.

Hey Mitch,
Did you give the VP the link to Prime so he could lurk and measure the pulse of people who really care about the NSX?

Gary

Okay, some additional updates for everyone.

A small group of us (about 8 people) had the opportunity to sit down with the Vice President of Operations for American Honda, and also one of the Senior PR gentlemen, for a closed door round table where they asked us for 100% honest feedback about the cars, the perception of the company as a whole, and anything else relating to Honda and Acura products. They were very clear that they wanted us to be honest. No sugar coating. They needed feedback from real people.

I took your words to the table and conveyed to them that a concern of current and past NSX owners right now is that with 3 years until production time, many people are concerned that the car they see at the show will be nothing like production. I also asked them how likely it was for the car to change dimensions due to it being a non-running design study more than it was a real car, and was told with great certainty that they could absolutely make the car a fully operational vehicle without changing the dimensions of the car at all. We were also informed that they do not want to make any significant changes to the car's appearance, and that the only thing they could not control would be any government safety standards that would be mandated between now and then that may or may not impact the vehicle's design. To paraphrase their statement, they could absolutely make the car we saw on stage, and make it perform at the highest levels of exotic car performance.

Additionally, I conveyed to them the concern about the performance of the car. That current NSX owners, and past ones looking at this as a possible return to NSX ownership, are looking for a certain type of vehicle feel and performance level. Also, I inquired about their benchmark setting for this car since it is a full 3 years out. My point with them was that if they are using cars like the Ferrari 458 Italia, Audi R8, and Nissan GT-R, as comparable models, all of those will be due for a replacement at the time of the new NSXs introduction, and that the last thing NSX owners want is a repeat of last time. Where the NSX was current for about 2 - 3 years, and then was outdated when Ferrari came out with the F355, and Porsche unveiled a new 911, and so on.

As a final note, I mentioned that many NSX owners are a bit hesitant to get excited since we were all burned when we thought the HSC was coming out, and never did. Also, without pricing being in the cards yet, they needed to remember their target market and not price themselves out of the game with what could be an extraordinary car.

It is my honest opinion that Honda / Acura wants to do this right. The feedback I got from the VP of Operations, all of the senior PR people, the head designers, and also Jeff Conrad (VP of Sales for Honda North America), was that Honda was aware that they slipped up previously and that a veritable reinvention of the brand was in order. They seem to be taking the steps needed to really get back to their roots and make fun to drive luxury vehicles, and that the new NSX is their halo car again to show that they can build amazing performance cars when they want to. The slogan 'Acura DNA' was heard a lot. Expect to hear it more as they work on getting back to their roots.

I know some of you are still going to be all 'bah-humbug'. But having actually been there. Having seen the genuine pride on the faces of the entire American Honda team. Having heard first hand the excitement with which they spoke of the NSX and the new direction of the company. I simply say give them the benefit of the doubt. I really think we will be seeing great things in the near future, and they want to make the NSX the biggest example of this new corporate vision and direction.

Wow that's cool Mitch! I'm glad they were interested in feedback , but I'm surprised they didn't tell you ( although they were alluding to it ) that they are already driving the car around:confused:

How come no one has commented on the flying butresses yet? I think that is an awesome design detail!
I agree, that's a striking detail indeed..........here are a couple shots I nabbed illustrating them last night.

IMG_1517 by NSXbrian, on Flickr

IMG_1518 by NSXbrian, on Flickr

Brian

Forgive me if I missed this detail -
I know some Specs have been provided however, has anyone heard if a Manual Trans will be offered ??
(again - sorry if this has already been discussed)

Thank you Meeyatch1 for both your great reporting and for representing the classic NSX community with your passion and detail. Lets hope it makes an impact on the future vehicle.

not bad. Not too exciting either. Overall it's a nice design. But this FORCED Acura branding just stinks. This Cadillac style "crease" just invokes all the wrong feelings. WTF is the point of that front grill piece? To remind us how boring the rest of the Acura lineup has become? Its out of place, and just looks cheap. Stop it Honda. The Nsx should be a flagship leading the way, not a mash of commodity car parts.

Forgive me if I missed this detail -
I know some Specs have been provided however, has anyone heard if a Manual Trans will be offered ??
(again - sorry if this has already been discussed)

no. 7 speed DCT

Meeyatch
You should have called me...I would have put you up at my place if your still allowed in Canada.
My wife went to the show as she works for one of the tier 2 companies that is supplying parts for Honda. She told me that SHE is going to get one and I can't drive it.

DUDE!! I actually looked through my last 3 phones and could not find your contact information. PM me that stuff so that I have it, chump!

no. 7 speed DCT

LOL Where did you read that?? There's been no confirmation that it will use the new 7spd. That tranny will more than likely debut on the RL. We'll find out in April what systems the RL will have.

Everything that has been mentioned tech wise is more than likely going to debut on the RL which will share parts heavily with the NSX 2.0. Yeah I know this is the upteenth time I've said this but maybe soon someone will listen lol

Where is that like button? lol

It's right underneath the play button, thumps up.

Lets hope the R&D team sees this vid & think twice, might be one of the reasons they leave that 3yr wait time....
Another way is to keep letting Mr Ito know that the Prime community/owners has a big voice maybe he should go thru & read these threads if he has not already done so.

In three years i will have the $$$ & ready to buy so Mr Ito, are you listening to my concerns & steer this direction ????????????

Mr Ito should log in & respond that would be nice, even if it's not a good answer it still be ok but i'll take the good answer!!!:smile:

I've read that several places now, I thought it was common knowldege that it will be a 7-speed Dual clutch?

the beak / shield is Acura design, would love to see the Honda version for markets outside the USA. If it turns out to be like the Motor Trend sketch, i bet its going to be the first mod for many !!

I've read that several places now, I thought it was common knowldege that it will be a 7-speed Dual clutch?
FYI .. to avoid this problem, I have started a Wiki page that will attempt to distill all the threads since Monday and summarize what we know about the NSX 2.0 concept with links/citations to where it was said/heard. Over time hopefully it will converge on the truth but in the meantime, maybe it will help with these kinds of 'where did we hear that?'. It's not ready for prime time yet but maybe by Monday unless the playoff games are rivetting.

Attachments

• 01-acura-nsx-concept-detroit-mod.jpg
    01-acura-nsx-concept-detroit-mod.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
With the intro of the new NSX, I have a feeling that our original NSX's will be in ever greater demand, and will appreciate in value. :biggrin:

it's beautiful car in person must be even better.Sharp lines sports look much much better than HSV concept(I'm not talking about JGTC car).
All concept seems to be hit.Hybrid,7 speed DCT ,led front lights,if maybe motor with turbo and KERS ,some advanced technology....only that I don't like is 4wd.
If they produce new NSX like this concept they can count on me(for few years).
As some say GO HONDA.

Back