• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Model longevity

From what I have seen, the NSX has been around for 17 years.

So I took a look back to see what other model cars have had that life span or more.

The Volkswagan Type 1, 1949 to 1970 appears to be the winner with 21 years, but no!

Alfa Romeo Duetto Spyder was in production from 1966 to 1993 with 27 years of production (first shown in 1965, Milan).

In any case, it appears that the NSX can take a shot at the VW record, but the Alfa life span seems out of reach.

Not too many model cars last 10 years or more. A rarified lot.

What about the VW beetle? Toyota Corrola? Ford Mustang, Crown Vic, F-Series, Taurus. Chevy Corvette, Camaro. Dodge Caravan...
Those are just a few that come to mind.
While the NSX has been around for a while, I wouldn't necessarily say it is rare for a vehicle to stick around that long, or longer.

92NSX said:
What about the VW beetle? Toyota Corrola? Ford Mustang, Crown Vic, F-Series, Taurus. Chevy Corvette, Camaro. Dodge Caravan...
Those are just a few that come to mind.
While the NSX has been around for a while, I wouldn't necessarily say it is rare for a vehicle to stick around that long, or longer.

I think he's saying the same model, not the same name.

Black 94 #400 said:
Does the PORSCHE 911 count? Not that I'm a big fan of them :rolleyes:

I meant the same car, not the same name. The New Beetle was a new car and not the same as the Beetle. The Alfa had some minor body modifications to meet US bumper and lighting laws, but was not ever re-designed.

I think that as a single car model the NSX has had extraordinary "legs".

Has the 911 used the same chassis for all these years? I don't think so. I am not a Porsche fan, but I believe that the "911" is comprised of 7 or 8 different cars over the years.

See: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=100434

The Ford F-series prior to 04MY used the same suspension/chassis for ~35yrs.
I'm not refering to the new beetle but rather the original one that changed slightly for it's entire lifetime.
The Taurus remained pretty much the same except for a couple of minor facelifts during its 21 yr run.

Packard said:
I meant the same car, not the same name. The New Beetle was a new car and not the same as the Beetle. The Alfa had some minor body modifications to meet US bumper and lighting laws, but was not ever re-designed.

I think that as a single car model the NSX has had extraordinary "legs".

Has the 911 used the same chassis for all these years? I don't think so. I am not a Porsche fan, but I believe that the "911" is comprised of 7 or 8 different cars over the years.

See: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=100434

It’s hard to improve on perfection :wink: :biggrin:

Back