• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MP3 players using USB flash memory for storage

Hey guys, does anyone know of a portable MP3 player that uses USB flash memory sticks for storage?

I bought a 16GB USB flash memory stick which I use to store all of my MP3 files. I can use the memory stick in my car stereo, my computers, etc., but I don't have a portable MP3 player that I can plug it into. I don't want to buy anything with a huge internal storage capacity, since it is not necessary.

Any ideas?

I have seen portable MP3 players that ARE USB sticks, but nothing that would accept USB sticks. Probably because I'd think most people who have portable players don't want a big ass dongle hanging off of them so typically if portable players accept anything, it's SD or MicroSD.

I just bought an MP3 player with a micro SD slot. You can always buy a micro SD card and transfer your playlist to it. I've seen 1gig cards for $19.95.

I suspect he's trying to keep just one storage device that works on all his stuff. If that's the case, you might be better off putting it all on SD or MicroSD and getting a SD to USB converter. Then you could use the SD to store all your songs and when you needed to use it in the car, you'd just stick the SB into the USB converter.

Thanks guys.

Robr, you're right that a converter may be the way to go, but the problem is that I've already invested into the USB approach. Aside, are 16GB SD cards on the market yet?

Thanks guys.

Robr, you're right that a converter may be the way to go, but the problem is that I've already invested into the USB approach. Aside, are 16GB SD cards on the market yet?

I don't think it would cost all that much to switch to an SD approach. You could go with an all in one approach like this (an SD with built in USB), granted it's only 2GB, but it's also only $35.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1190829013&sr=8-1

8GB SD is as large as it gets right now I believe. 16 and 32GB have been announced but I don't think you can buy one yet.

Your best bet is to get two 8GB microSD cards (they will be available soon). Usually these microSD cards come packaged w/ an SD adapter. Then spend $10 to get a microsD/SD-> USB reader. This way, you can use the microSD in your cell phones and some MP3 players, SD in MP3 players and some car head-units, and USB reader to pretty much anything.

The big USB stick is just too cumbersome, especially if you have mobile applications.

Back