• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NEED help A.S.A.P.

NsxKing

Suspended
friend just bought a nsx , motor making a funny noise(sounds like a power steering pump with no fluid) oil pressure at second mark on oil pressure guage at cold start up and not moving when i give it gas ...hooked up a oil pressr guage by oil filter housing and getting the same reading . Could the oil pump be shot ? whats making the noise ? tensioner pully or water pump ? please if any one has encountered this problem please i would appreciate the feedback ...thanks

What year is your NSX? If it is an early year NSX, I assume your fully aware of the ABS pump noise right?

If not, search it. Very common problem.

Are you sure it is coming from the engine bay?

Last edited:
its definitely coming from engine bay , car is a 2003 after car warms up noise goes away but comes as soon as u rev it .

Sorry to say, but your description sounds like a bad connecting rod bearing.

Do not drive it, get it investigated locally.

HTH,
LarryB

well i have driven the car a couple of times since i heard the noise , the noise is comign from the crank side of the engine and it sounds external, i drained the oil and itwas clean , doesnt seem like the bearings got chewed up

well i have driven the car a couple of times since i heard the noise , the noise is comign from the crank side of the engine and it sounds external, i drained the oil and itwas clean , doesnt seem like the bearings got chewed up

That sounds like it would be #4 rod bearing, closest to the crank pulley. Send the oil out for anaylsis, chances are you will not see bearing material with the naked eye, unless you actually looked in the bottom of the pan.

Also, anyone familiar with NSX engines will know if it is a rod bearing:).

The other thing that comes to mind, although not exactly matching your description would be an exhaust leak (header, gasket, etc)

But.....Your description again, low oil pressure, knocking when you rev it, I would bet it is a rod bearing.

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
there is NO knocking when the motor starts or when i rev it up it doesnt knock. gonna take the oil pan off but it that clean then im still stuck with no answer, the throw out bearign is new and i definitly know its not that, only thing i can think of is the oil pump is going bad thats why there is low oil pressure but as far as the noise im stumped(remember ) the noise is not a knocking its sounds like a power steering pump with no oil in it

Oil pump gears are relatively common problem in cars that have been overreved or heavily tracked on ovals. I would check the oil pump for sure.

In any event I wouldn't do anything until you fully check it out. You can only make things worse and by that I mean more expensive.

i realized that when i fisrt start the car, there is no noise and no oil pressre, but after 2-3 seconds the noise appears and the oil pressure starts to rise to 20 and stays there even when i rev the motor the pressure sits at 20 and still there is no knocking

Is this the one that went throught the auction about a month ago in Vegas? If so, it went through advertised with a rod knock or something similar.

As you are a new member, you probably don't know of Larry B's knowledge and experience but, LISTEN TO HIM!!
The cost of an oil analasis is by far MUCH less than an engine.
We use them in aviation because as he said, "you probably won't be able to see the particles with the naked eye".
When the engine is cold the tollerances are close enough to give you the symptoms you're describing.
Oh yeah, you probably shouldn't ask people who know much more about a subject and then argue with them.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
+1

A great point that was well brought up!

I would just like to add that when the "NSX God's Speak...one should listen!"
I have always received brilliant viewpoints on what is wrong with my 91 NSX - thanks again to all the Prime members who have helped me out this year.:redface:

Happy New Year all!:

Dam

any updates?
If I was you i would just drive your Carrera GT on weekends and just get rid of that NSX and get a M3 or something .. seems like you are having to much problems with it ...

OScar

Last edited:
its probably just the ABS pump..... which is under the....... hood......where the engine is... right? :tongue:

The King told us in another thread that he is rich and we are all poor losers who do not have NSXs...so I suggest that "the king" go spend all that extra money that he has and solve the problem!

Dam :cool:

Man seeing how rich you are, can't you just take your salvaged vechiles to a dealer? Even poor me can afford to so I know with your CGT you can too. Just do it...what do these poor folks know anyway...most of them don't even have a nsx and just want to be your passenger...:smile:

friend just bought a nsx , motor making a funny noise(sounds like a power steering pump with no fluid) oil pressure at second mark on oil pressure guage at cold start up and not moving when i give it gas ...hooked up a oil pressr guage by oil filter housing and getting the same reading . Could the oil pump be shot ? whats making the noise ? tensioner pully or water pump ? please if any one has encountered this problem please i would appreciate the feedback ...thanks

Back