• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help tire pressures and coilover adj!

I have not tracking for two years. What are the pressure for the tires? This area track tires. Also, the numbers for coilover adjust. Is this it 10 from and 7 rear?

Need more info. Tires? Coilovers? Spring rates?

For pressure, I generally have used around 35 psi on AD08R or Z2* in standard 17/18 sizes.

I have always stuck to having my hot pressures the same, worked well , and that was after making sure tire temps were pretty even across the contact patch...I would make small adjustments depending on what I needed for that days conditions.

I forgot about the tire temperature. I will pack that reader for the track, Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Spring rate? I would just turn them down but forgot the numbers. I am thinking 10 in the front and 7 in the rear?

To much variable to give an answer (ride height, weight of the car, sway bars, spring rates, strut damping rates, tires, driving habits, ...). Go for a ride and try.

I would recommend some clicks more front and 2-3 psi more rear. With full slick tires I have 25-27 psi front and 27-29 psi rear when hot, but you will need more with a heavier car or with semi-slicks. Start here and try.

Billy Johnson, fastest NSX driver driving now for Ford in La Mans in 18 days, gave the target psi hot at 36 -38 front and back. This will be on FOX Sports 2.

Billy Johnson gave me the psi as hot 36-38, from and back. He is the fastest NSX driver now riding for Ford in La Man in 18 days, which will be on FOX Sports and one other FOX. Support our drivers!

Lance, you asked a question without enough information provided.
What coilovers do you have? What spring rates? How many clicks of adjustability are there? 5? 10? 30?
What tires are you running? Brand/model? Are they the same tires front and rear? What sizes are they?
What other suspension components do you have? Aftermarket sway bars?
What alignment settings do you have? OEM 1991-1992? 1993 or later? Or something else?
What's your skill level?
All of these questions would be helpful in giving you a recommendation.
Without going into details, I'd just suggest what Honda/Acura suggests for the car which is 33 front and 40 rear as the hot pressures and adjust from there. For my Federal 595RSRs I find they run best at 38 rear, hot. The Dunlop Starspecs Z1s seem to do better at 40.

I'm so happy to see everyone asking the right questions to Lance's vague question.

On that note, I REALLY don't like Honda's factory recommendations as hot or cold pressures. That's a big tire pressure split front to rear and (yes without knowing his tire size, suspension, etc..) for most 'proper'/normal tire setups, you'll never have a tire sized in a manner that would run with that kind of tire pressure split. I don't recall ever running a stagger on that on any NSX, Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, etc...

Most street tires (in general and for the nsx) don't seem to like over 40psi hot, and seem to work well at 36-38psi hot.

what would you recommend cold then for street use, maybe 32f/34r? thanks.

what tires?

what would you recommend cold then for street use, maybe 32f/34r? thanks.
what tires?

I run Yokohama AD08R with 32 front & 34 rear - cold. I've taken pressure readings after spirited back road driving and get 38 psi for both and the tires are very very warm to the touch but not hot enough to remove my hand. I do not track the car. I do get even wear across the tire. Stock sway bars. Eibach pro springs w/ Bilstein dampers. Vasos aligned. Car seems "planted" while driving. Decent wheel man with good skill set.

Doc, is this hot psi within reason for back road driving ?

Robbie , sorry to hijack !!

Last edited:
lol we have multiple answers and questions...38 hot is fine for the yokos.....now how bout robiedawg?

no problem red's dad, it's good to know what cold pressures others are running.

and docjohn, I'm on Yoko S.Drives, surprisingly high performance and correspondingly stiff for their category.

Edit- also on stock shocks, Tein S.Tech springs

Last edited:
lol we have multiple answers and questions...38 hot is fine for the yokos.....now how bout robiedawg?

no problem red's dad, it's good to know what cold pressures others are running.

And docjohn, i'm on yoko s.drives, surprisingly high performance and correspondingly stiff for their category.

Edit- also on stock shocks, tein s.tech springs

Calling docjohn

Tough to use cold pressures as a starting point. Depends how much moisture is in your tires from the local has station who hasn't bled their compressor in 5 years or nitrogen from Costco which they basically give away for free if you ask nicely.

When I used crappy air I could easily see cold/hot variances of +/- 10psi.

Calling docjohn

word.....my rule of thumb for any street tire is not to get over 40 psi as your hot endpoint.track conditions are much more consistent in raising pressures, than public roads, but I'm sure some of our aggressive canyon carvers can generate some heat

word.....my rule of thumb for any street tire is not to get over 40 psi as your hot endpoint.track conditions are much more consistent in raising pressures, than public roads, but I'm sure some of our aggressive canyon carvers can generate some heat

Another rule of thumb to use to adjust tire pressures throughout the track day absent a pyrometer is to use the butt dyno.

If the car feels really good at the beginning of a session and is seriously going off toward the end, you probably started too high and are crowning the tread toward the end of the session as they got hot. You might want to try 2-3 PSI lower next session (depending of course on heat of the day, etc.) Of course it could also mean you started way too low and got the tread overheated, but let's assume you're starting pretty close based on the advice you've already received here.

If the car feels a little squirmy at first but gets pretty good three-five laps in, and stays OK most of the session, you're in the ballpark and shouldn't need to adjust more than 1-2 PSI.

You can dial in either end of the car using this method; front might be good but if the car gets tail-happy toward the end of the session, might be overheating the rears. Vice-versa for the fronts.

If the car never does feel right, you probably started too low. You can also feel and hear this and depending on the tire can see it by looking at the shoulder when you come off the track. If you're wearing all the way over the edge of the tread onto the sidewall you might need more air, but this method is not terribly accurate as it depends on the characteristics of the particular brand, model, and size of the tire (and its wheel width), and also on camber settings.

These methods are inherently and terrible imprecise but failing all else, try the butt dyno as another data point.

Back