• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New 1996 NSX Build

yes your right, on the bottom of the stack

was the door, then the hood, then the trunk deck/spoiler.

no damage was done to my car it had a thick blanket to protect my car.

crazy I would say " do what it takes to get it done in the fastest way possible " LOL

Last edited:
That is great. But I think I have the f'enist craziest idea for when you do this the next time.

Take off your body panels and drive your car out there. Then install the panels you picked up to transport them back. No that's f'en crazy, RIGHT??? :biggrin:

and he was going at 80 mph:eek:

You're nuts.

And for those prices... I feel bad for the guy who's white nsx is now missing some parts :eek:

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do :tongue: but that was kinda crazy of Shawn. Good luck with the build :smile:

Ok guys here is an Update,

I went by the shop today and they have not even touched it yet I am getting mad,

they are waiting on the glass guy to remove the front windsheild, which is tomorrow morning ugggh, they needed the rear glass removed
and the rear quarter panel and rear bumper and B pillar panel.
so I said " I will do it right now " since I had my tools in the car I did it in 30 minutes so here are some pics.

also I was dressed in a suit as I just left work LOL I should have got a pic of what it looked like after removing all this stuff
my dress shoes are toast LOL.

2012-06-18_13-01-17_577.jpg

2012-06-18_15-46-48_550.jpg

2012-06-18_15-46-58_494.jpg

2012-06-18_15-47-09_544.jpg

2012-06-18_15-47-27_556.jpg

Last edited:
You da man Shawn...and happy belated Fathers Day

thanks guys.

juggling a real job and actually getting shit done on this build is a handful.

but its just part of life

Surprised they needed a glass guy to come out for something that just unbolts. When I worked at a body shop (I wrote estimates) we only called the glass guy from stuff that was glued in and had to be reused. If it was broken or being replaced, our body guys just removed it and burned off the glue with a torch.

no they need to remove the front windsheild thats glued in

the engine glass unbolts.

they dont want to take a chance when they frame the car
and it breaks. i have a spare windsheild on my 2002 parts car
but thats last resort.

You da man Shawn, that pic. Of you in a suite putting those body panel would have been hilarious. Nicely done, car is coming along

why didnt you use your TL instead of the X for those suv duties? If my wife ever see that pic she'd say (see you the only one who babies that car), LOL

I thought about it but fitting those parts into the TL trunk would have been a nightmare and It would have taken me longer to get home.

I def protected the paint and stuff on the NSX so I wasnt worried.

Ok guys thought I might throw your guys a bone-of-an-update

I went to http://www.extrememotorcar.com/

today and talked with the owner Bruce and he is going to paint the car

so as of right now I am waiting on the rear quarter, front bumper upper,
rear lower 02+ valance I purchased these from Macninja as I didnt have them as spare. should be here any day now, all other parts have already been delivered. then I take them to the frame shop and the car should be done about a day after I drop off the parts.

then the fun begins LOL, after that I drop the car off at Extreme Motor Cars
they sand prep the car and paint it, its going to look better than factory
as there will be no orange peel in the car, factory paint looks like crap compared. those of you that dont know what orange peel is read this link and learn.
http://learnautobodyandpaint.com/orange-peel-paint-finish-what-causes-orange-peel-in-paint/

so very soon this car will be #3 NSX build under my belt and on its way home to the owner.

stay tuned you need to see how Macninja boxed these parts up.
he sent me a pic of the palet he put them on.:eek::smile:

it looks like a beast tring to escape from another dimension LOL
its so cool looking.

thanks Mac!

Sounds like the plan is finally coming together and will be back in action soon.

Thanks for the update... I was wonding how this project was coming along.

I'm looking forward to more pictures... transported parts and the finished product when complete.

Shawn, are you able to share any financial info on this car? I am curious if it got an official estimate for all repairs from a professional body shop. If so what would the cost of repairs have been? I am always trying to figure how little damage will total one of these. Although there is no rule of thumb and insurance companies can see things differently, general comparisons are very interesting. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your build.

one thing about Insurance companies, they have to use new parts by law ( I think ) they cant give a client a used fender even though nothing is wrong with it, it only needs to be painted ( dumb I know ) esp. with a rare exotic so a new rear quarter is about 2300 now. a used one off e-bay/NSXprime is 399-799-1000. new fenders are about 1400, used fenders are about 200-500.
a new door shell is a whopping 2432.00 used around 500-700

so you can see how the price to repair with new parts can reach the % of no return in the insurance companies eyes.
they just total the car give the person what they think its worth lets say for example: 50K they will low ball you to about 40K
then sell the car at auction for 20-36K so they are only out a small ammount of money so in some cases they actually make money to total your car. its a scam
they dont want to pump a bunch of money into a car and have the client turn around and say hey this wasnt there before, hey this didnt have a scratch there. etc. will end up costing them more than they want to pay.

as for the price to fix this car its not tally-ed up yet but I will not be making very much money off of this build its all about the FUN of the rebuild.
I have a day job LOL so this is for fun and the love of the NSX
and to make a buddy happy to have his car back.

Last edited:
As far as I understand, in California, it varies by insurer. USAA totals a car at or above 85%. I recall a friend whose insurance company's threshold was 75%. I can only speak for USAA but yes, the adjuster quotes new parts.

Ok guys getting very close now LOL
the last of the body parts was delivered today
now you need to see how cool Macninja wrapped these parts.
it looks like something from an Alien movie so cool.
if you guys cant find parts PM Macninja if I dont have the parts he def will.or can get them for you.
anyway will load them on my car and haul ass to the frame guy.

2012-06-29_10-35-39_496.jpg

2012-06-29_10-36-49_447.jpg

2012-06-29_10-39-31_745.jpg

2012-06-29_10-39-42_925.jpg

ok when I got there its on one of there frame machines.

hopefully they can pull it today so I can start work this weekend.

2012-06-29_11-21-47_264.jpg

2012-06-29_11-21-58_514.jpg

2012-06-29_11-22-11_698.jpg

2012-06-29_11-22-20_740.jpg

2012-06-29_11-22-25_936.jpg

Last edited:
Back