• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new 2002 nsx tear down & build

well Ok the first thing you have to do when fixing a car is never be scared to do a job that looks to big thats the freaking fun in a build.

next you need to look at the path your going to take to remove and or cut.
since Honda welded the NSX in sections it real easy. you just need to peel the effected sections off the car.and re weld new section in place.

if you look at the pics you will see the black dots, which is the spot welds from the factory. to remove them you need to drill out the welds.

in some of the pics you will see that I drilled holes but on most i did not.
the wreck helped me with that as half were poped off already.

I used a crowbar to pop the herd one, that were to tight to use my drill.

I didnt care on this car as it was being removed and thrown away, but the 2003 I will have to drill every spot weld and the welds I cant get to with the dril I will have to sand them down.

I will have to take the rear of the 2003 off like a surgeon. as there is no second trys.

will post pics of the 2003 rear tomorrow. I have only just removed the rear quarters and rear trunk wiring harness, lots more to do before I can cut the rear off and send it off to be welded back on.

I could save alot of money if I only knew how to weld LOL.

pics tomorrow guys Im tired now

Last edited:
if you look at the pics you will see the black dots, which is the spot welds from the factory. to remove them you need to drill out the welds.but the 2003 I will have to drill every spot weld and the welds I cant get to with the dril I will have to sand them down.

If you think those are spot welds, ie., high compression spot welds like found in steel cars you are mistaken.:wink:

Last edited:
spot weld, tack weld, Alum tack what ever....

its a small area were 2 pieces of metal have been fused.

I am not a welder LOL so I wouldnt know what the true name for it is.

can you tell me what they are called please?

awesome post. thank you!

looking forward to see the pictures!

well Ok the first thing you have to do when fixing a car is never be scared to do a job that looks to big thats the freaking fun in a build.

next you need to look at the path your going to take to remove and or cut.
since Honda welded the NSX in sections it real easy. you just need to peel the effected sections off the car.and re weld new section in place.

if you look at the pics you will see the black dots, which is the spot welds from the factory. to remove them you need to drill out the welds.

in some of the pics you will see that I drilled holes but on most i did not.
the wreck helped me with that as half were poped off already.

I used a crowbar to pop the herd one, that were to tight to use my drill.

I didnt care on this car as it was being removed and thrown away, but the 2003 I will have to drill every spot weld and the welds I cant get to with the dril I will have to sand them down.

I will have to take the rear of the 2003 off like a surgeon. as there is no second trys.

will post pics of the 2003 rear tomorrow. I have only just removed the rear quarters and rear trunk wiring harness, lots more to do before I can cut the rear off and send it off to be welded back on.

I could save alot of money if I only knew how to weld LOL.

pics tomorrow guys Im tired now

spot weld, tack weld, Alum tack what ever....

its a small area were 2 pieces of metal have been fused.

I am not a welder LOL so I wouldnt know what the true name for it is.

can you tell me what they are called please?

They are plug welds. They were welded by a person or persons, one by one with a mig welder set up for aluminum.

The parts were set up purpose built, engineered jigs to assure exact and proper positioning before the various sub assemblies were built and eventually mated with other similiarly made sub assemblies until they had a complete, assembled chassis. The jigs are in effect measuring the structure making sure the parts are positioned correctly according to the blueprints for the car.

Cool huh?

More about plug welds: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/plug-weld.htm

thanks for the link Pbassjo

well I drilled pryed and cut intill I have the whole rear end removed from the 2003.

if i had to do it again..... I would pay someone else to do it LOL

here are the current pics

2011-11-06_17-59-20_999.jpg

2011-11-06_17-59-35_106.jpg

2011-11-06_18-00-22_77.jpg

2011-11-06_18-00-38_312.jpg

Joe, this must have been amazingly time consuming and expensive. If every sub assembly were hand welded as you indicated in this manner, this would be very costly.

You learn something about this car everyday, thanks Joe for your knowledge and insight.

Bram

Last edited:
Joe, this must have been amazingly time consuming and expensive. If every sub assembly were hand welded as you indicated is this manner this would be very costly.

And very precise. Now you can understand why there were only 18k +/- cars made world wide.
As one fellow, I believe it was SFNSXguy, said it was " an exercise in engineering" . Well put.

Last edited:
Shawn, all you need is some bondo, crazy glue, duct tape and some bungee cords and you're done. :)

LOL high end trailer park.

the 2003 is covered the rest of these things are behind my privacy fence so the house looks normal.

anyway I am glad I got the hard part out of the way. I will try and stay away from NSX's that need their ass removed.

If i had to do it again I would pay someone but it wasnt hard it was just time consuming.

you predrill all the welds, then you have to go back over them with another flat bit to eat the weld. then when you think your done the damn thing will not pull up and off. oh there was a weld i missed, still will not pull up and off, oh there another one i missed.
then Pop it pushes up and your like I didnt even do anything yet.

I dont know if I am gonn ahve time this week to work on it but will try to do a little everyday. but when I finish it someone is gonna have one bad ass hand re-assembled NSX.

Shawn this is great it looks like you are restoring one of those old warbirds from the battle of the bulge on the History channel. You should have your own show lol.

the 2004 isnt back from the paint shop yet. it has been reserved by me for the Original owner if he wants to buy it back from me, its not registered yet so if the original owner wants it back he will still be the original owner.

as for the 2002 its being built for another member, as I wasnt going to rebuild it this soon but money talks LOL.

so far there are about 6 people that have asked to buy the 2004 and only 3 for the 2002. but as the project nears its end I am sure the line will get bigger.

as for my DD I will never sell my 1992. it will remain my DD I am not a fan of the bubble lights so maybe will get one one day. or if anohter one pops up cheap then I will get it for a back-up NSX.

I am working on getting a 2011 Audi R8 V10 to fart around with not sure.
"Im getting bored with cars now. I wanna work on rockets and lasers" J/K

Last edited:
makes sense.

it just occured to me that the beauty of the black 2002 build is that everything will still be EOM; including oem paint, all parts, frame being put back via oem specs... just piecing the parts (expertly + perfectly) back together.

the 2004 isnt back from the paint shop yet. it has been reserved by me for the Original owner if he wants to buy it back from me, its not registered yet so if the original owner wants it back he will still be the original owner.

as for the 2002 its being built for another member, as I wasnt going to rebuild it this soon but money talks LOL.

so far there are about 6 people that have asked to buy the 2004 and only 3 for the 2002. but as the project nears its end I am sure the line will get bigger.

Yeah the 2002 is going to be all OEM but the 2004 is all OEM also. except for the better paint job.

Guys is there something I dont know????

my inbox is filled with offers on this 2002.
and 2004.

did the stock market go thru the roof today?

is there something about the 2002-2005 NSX that hasnt hit the market yet?

is honda planning on some anouncement??

PM me if you know whats going on? something is happening I need to know

Last edited:
talk is cheap....lets see what you are offered for the cars when completed.

you guys are harsh LOL

I want these things to be completed as much as anyone.

One day we will stand at the finish line.

the 2004 is so close I can smell the wet paint. the 2002 is a long way off before she is completed.

Back