• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New 2004 nsx build

Ok guys went by the Paint shop today and I decided to have the whole car painted. Original Color.

they educated me about paint.

this paint job is and will be better than OEM. they showed me the difference in a ferrari, Aston Martin, Lambo those are in their showcase room.

I always noticed on new cars there is a wavey look to the paint if you look at it right. its painted by machines. not good.

So I decided to pump 3500 into the whole car being painted to Ferrari standards of paint. no ripples, pure glass. then a 3M front clear bra applied and on the side and rear spats. that should keep the car Chip free for years and years.

I hope this will increase the value of the car.

I know its salvage and had fire damage but this car is going to be better than OEM Trust me. this car will be the talk of the town.

I get the parts friday and will drive the car to the shop on wednsday next week, they said it will take about 2 weeks to complete as they will be sanding and painting 4-5 times this Glass process as I call it takes lots of time to complete.

cross your fingers guys.

that wavy look is orange peel. you can get it whether its painted by machine or human, the difference is a good body shop / paint guy with wet and buff the clearcoat to get it like glass. always bothered me about new expensive cars and the amount of orange peel in the paint. props for getting it all repainted.

This multiple steps with wet-sanding by hand between sounds a lot like the OEM process (NSX OEM paint is really very good). Glad you'll be keeping things to that level of quality.

yeah Orange peel is what they called it.

they showed me a car they were doing one side had the peel and the otherside didnt. they said thats a poor job a great body shop will have NO peel on the parts they paint. but the rest of the car will ( from factory )

so I didnt want the rear of the car to look like glass and the front look like OEM. wouldnt really match in my mind. so I said do the whole car. I want it perfect.

what i really wanted to know is whats the difference from a 3500 paint job to a 10,000 dollar paint job? same oem color.

they asked if I wanted the higher priced one I was like ummmm welllll. do you take Visa?

Last edited:
i paint as well its orange peal i am rebuilding my lbbp and i plan on putting about 5 coats of whats called LV clear 4.0 which is to be the best on the market then will sand with 800 and reclear one more time then sand with 800 1000 2000 and trizac 3000 to a mirror finish car arrives tomarrow

Yeah, they were saying they are gonna do a process like that.
after they do this one and I like it I will send them my 92 to have the same glass finish performed.

I would really confirm which material they are using, for that price. There are a lot ways for a painter, to cheapen the process, which typically benefits his or hers pockets and not the customers. Using cheaper materials, means less life to the paint of your car. I have seen 2-3k paintjobs that look decent for first year, but then start to shrink and lose its clarity and shine. Ultimately ending up having to colorsand over and over.

If I were you Shawn, I would contact this place and ask them what they would charge just for their labor and what they can gurantee quality wise. Then go out and buy the materials yourself, and bring it to them.

I would choose something a long the lines of Dupont Chroma-Series, BASF Glasurit, RM Diamont or Sikkens. All quality paints, I would feel comfortable vouching for. You definitely don't want to have to spend 3 times that amount, down the road, when you have to pay another bodyshop to remove the bad paint products a body shop may use. Just my .02

trust me these guys dont cheap on anything,

check their site out they only deal with high end cars. I mean he has over 2 Million worth of cars in his showroom. they are personal friends with Carol Shelby etc. I am in no way worried about if they are gonna use cheap paint.

www.extrememotorcar.com

they just did a Chrome Lambo with real silver 50K paint job

got all the parts back from the shop and they are 90% bolted on.

will finish the bolt on process tomorrow and then she is off to the paint shop for the last of this build.

Im gonna be sad not to have this car to work on anymore.

But I always have Jason's 2002 to start. I will start adding pics as I start that build.

I love bringing poor NSX's back to life. they deserve it.

Long Live the NSX.

Is anyone interested in pitching in cash with me in Buying the rights to the name " NSX " so we can start producing them again from honda?
do you think Honda would sell the rights to the NSX to another company?

I never thought that this car would see daylight again. You truly have proven that you are a man of your word and I commend you on taking on this project. If you are ever on my side of the state with the car I'd love to see it and buy you a beer.

bravo dood. inspiring!

got all the parts back from the shop and they are 90% bolted on.

will finish the bolt on process tomorrow and then she is off to the paint shop for the last of this build.

Im gonna be sad not to have this car to work on anymore.

But I always have Jason's 2002 to start. I will start adding pics as I start that build.

I love bringing poor NSX's back to life. they deserve it.

Long Live the NSX.

Is anyone interested in pitching in cash with me in Buying the rights to the name " NSX " so we can start producing them again from honda?
do you think Honda would sell the rights to the NSX to another company?

thanks DOCL you really didnt think this car would see the light at the end of the tunnel? damn it man. Hahaha.

I drive her around the block everynight and let her idle in my driveway to keep the engine in tip top shape and I rub her steering wheel and talk to her about how much fun she has been to repair. she is a part of me.
blood sweat and money have gone into her. she deserves a good home.

I never thought that this car would see daylight again. You truly have proven that you are a man of your word and I commend you on taking on this project. If you are ever on my side of the state with the car I'd love to see it and buy you a beer.

I'm with DocL.....I thought this would all end badly:redface: but you have talent /determination/and no fear!

thanks DOCJOHN it means alot ot me to have the OG members give me
credit for this build. it really does.

considering this was my first NSX build and not my last
and only being an NSX owner for about 2 years

I have always loved the NSX and always will.

Im sure you will turn a profit on this project, however if you only break even at least you got the experiance and enjoyment of the whole thing........beats watching reality shows for sure.

Is it just me, but sell your 91 and keep this one. You have seriously put your heart into this, built it ground up so to speak, and everything in between. Sell your 91 for like 27k, keep this one and enjoy it ;)...... Or keep both lol.

Ok here are some updated photo's taken today.
she is all most done. getting to the end here guys.

the rims that are on it right now are def not staying on the car it looks real bad i think with black-out rims on a silver car. I might put them on my other NSX enjoy

2011-09-10_16-24-47_575.jpg

2011-09-10_16-25-00_749.jpg

2011-09-10_16-26-16_437.jpg

2011-09-10_16-26-33_226.jpg

2011-09-10_16-25-48_493.jpg

2011-09-10_16-29-18_445.jpg

2011-09-10_16-29-27_101.jpg

Added new photo's guys so go back a page.(15)

and its a 92 Supersonic :biggrin:

as my 92 was my first NSX I will never sell it it will remain with me intill i DIE. I kid you not.

I drove the silver one to the store today to fill her up
she saw a gas station for the first time since her coma in december

I am excited its like when you first get your NSX and keeping going outside to look at it. thinking of any reason to go outside. um I need to take the trash out, um I need to check the mailbox, um is that hot chick needing help with her flat tire. :tongue:

Back