• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New MotorTrend article

When asked whether he'd established a weight-to-power target for the team, his coy answer was, "I hope it is better than the first car's."

That's not a good answer at all.:rolleyes:

When asked whether he'd established a weight-to-power target for the team, his coy answer was, "I hope it is better than the first car's."

That's not a good answer at all.:rolleyes:

I know, his target needs to be substantially better than the p/w of the original. I know they are aggressively targeting weight to offset the hybrid system, but I can't see how they can possibly get it down to 3100lbs unless they make serious concessions elsewhere.

That article is just a whole lot of guesses put together.
We do not know much about the engine and nothing of the interior and the weight of the batteries and yet they estimate the weight to be 3100 lbs:rolleyes:

The previous NSX in its lightest form was around 3100 lbs [ that is with aluminum everything and a small 6 cylinder]; this car will have a larger v6 and several battery powered electric motors and all the goodies that a car over $100k usuall has and they think it will weigh 3100 lbs! Not likely, unless they strip it and put in a boatload of carbon fiber, in which case the price will rise considerably.

If it does deliver 480 hp, it is still not enough...not now and certainly not three years down the road. Comparable cars NOW are producing 550hp figures and three years down the road will be hitting 600plus easy.

If the main argument for the NSX will be great handling and not outright performance, then why not just buy a Miata or the upcoming Scion FRS?!
Is it going to be sold to enthusiasts who want and desperately need 35mpg in their $150k exotic?:rolleyes:

Honda is screwing around, once again. They are going to hype this car to the sky with the superbowl ads and all and when it comes out it will be nothing more than a pretender.

As far as its looks are concerned, it is still three years away from production and already the face and rear end are becoming a bit boring to look at.

I know, his target needs to be substantially better than the p/w of the original. I know they are aggressively targeting weight to offset the hybrid system, but I can't see how they can possibly get it down to 3100lbs unless they make serious concessions elsewhere.

Right, how many hybrids weigh 3100 lbs. The Fisker Karma is nearly 5000lbs!

I think Honda should dump the hybrid and simply make a 2900lbs car with 550HP.

Done. Call it a day.

People complaining about 480hp estimates as being too little need some perspective. Where exactly are you going to go with that much hp, I mean really? Unless you live in or around Germany (and if you do, more power to you), you cant even come close to using any of it on public roads. The GT3 RS is Porsche's track car, and it has "only" 450hp. Not too many people complaining about that. The top, cream of the crop super cars are in a crazy hp war that is almost meaningless at this point because there really isn't much more headroom to be had. Even when you cross 500hp, the differences are so minute that that much power will only serve to show just how bad of a driver you really are.

If this new car comes out with 480hp, good awd, and the driving dynamics of (or close to) the original with a reasonable price to befit the performance, I'll be more than happy. Then, the car will have room to grow, much like the GTR does (did). Special editions, track variants, etc. can improve the hp if necessary and have the option to do so without it being meaningless.

As far as what a "reasonable price to befit the performance" is, I have no clue. GTR should be a price target, but I suspect it won't, and that may be detrimental to future success.

People complaining about 480hp estimates as being too little need some perspective. Where exactly are you going to go with that much hp, I mean really? Unless you live in or around Germany (and if you do, more power to you), you cant even come close to using any of it on public roads. The GT3 RS is Porsche's track car, and it has "only" 450hp. Not too many people complaining about that. The top, cream of the crop super cars are in a crazy hp war that is almost meaningless at this point because there really isn't much more headroom to be had. Even when you cross 500hp, the differences are so minute that that much power will only serve to show just how bad of a driver you really are.

If this new car comes out with 480hp, good awd, and the driving dynamics of (or close to) the original with a reasonable price to befit the performance, I'll be more than happy. Then, the car will have room to grow, much like the GTR does (did). Special editions, track variants, etc. can improve the hp if necessary and have the option to do so without it being meaningless.

As far as what a "reasonable price to befit the performance" is, I have no clue. GTR should be a price target, but I suspect it won't, and that may be detrimental to future success.

Agreed, 480 conservatively advertised hp would be a great number. The hp war is so silly and the thought that in 3+ years, cars will be even more powerful sickens me because they will probably be larger and heavier too. The idea is balance in power to achieve great performance, not all out penis-extending numbers. This reminds me of all of the ridiculous commercials Audi is coming up with lately. IMO, they have pretty much solidified the fact that I will never personally own an Audi.

Back on subject - the ones that complain about the new NSX or any sub-500 hp car are *usually the ones that could never afford to buy one anyways (and I'm in the group that would not be able afford a new one). If you can afford one and you have a problem with the new one, why not buy something else then instead of criticizing the speculations on a vehicle that is no where near finalization? The new Corvette is waiting for you :tongue:

Well, what does 480HP mean? Does that mean total combined output of all motors running 100%? If so, how long are they able to maintain that output?

It is hard to compare this car to other cars because really no car like this exists right now.

What we have to ask is what is this car really trying to compete with. The only one I can think of is the BMW i8. They are saying it will do 0-60 in around 5 seconds I think.

So what does someone who is cross shopping the new NSX also view?

I agree with what I'm reading here. I have to wonder how many of the 480hp haters have ever driven a car with that kind of power?

Actually guys it doesn't need that unless Honda is going crazy with the price. Porsche is able to get a 3.6 0-60 and 12flat 1/4 mile with only 400hp@ 3200lbs in the new Carrera with DSG. The Z06 @3100lbs with 505hp does 3.5 0-60. Think of it the Porshce with 125hp less than hp than a R8 V10 matches it to 60 and 1/4 mile. The 458 with 562hp is only 0.3 secs faster to and 3/10's faster in the 1/4.

Newer cars can be tuned with these newer trannys and AWD ( which the Carrera doesn't have ) to be hella fast! People are just thinking old school needing a ton of hp which the NSX was never about to begin with. Honda is not trying to out do everyone they'll be shooting for balance like they did with the old car.

While it is nice to see something in print about the New NSX, MT is just speculating based on the official information that we have all heard. It is funny that once MT or C&D prints something, people start giving it more credence than the same speculation taking place here.

The NSX will be for a very select group of people. For every one that is sold, there will be 100,000 people who couldn't possibly afford it, or live with the limitations that a 2 seat low slung sports car brings to the table.

So most of the complainers are people who will never own one, not because it is not a great car, but because they will never be in the market for one. And then there are the dreamers who would love to buy one, but know it will not happen. But they will need a car and Acura hopes that the connection with the NSX, will help drive those people to consider buying an RDX or MDX and that is the primary purpose of the NSX.

It's been said before.. they have bigger horses.:biggrin: The 270hp was no slouch and 480hp won't be either.

Won't be a slouch cept' to the magazine racers on the couch! :tongue:

Last edited:
It's been said before.. they have bigger horses.:biggrin: The 270hp was no slouch and 480hp won't be either.

Won't be a slouch cept' to the magazine racers on the couch! :tongue:

Keep in mind the GTR only had 480HP and still managed 0-60 in around 3 seconds and weighs 4000lbs.

So a new NSX with 480HP and 3100lbs should be pretty quick.

My main concern is who will be driving the car...the driver or the car.

My main concern is who will be driving the car...the driver or the car.

From the article:

"Acura claims the next NSX will represent the "ultimate expression of man-machine synergy," with driver and car working in unison, rather than the driver being taken for a ride by a highly robotized car."

I suspect that it will probably be in line with the kind of assists we see in let's say an MP4C, but not as overboard as the GTR. There's no way any modern car is going to be as raw as an NA1, but hopefully they at least provide the ability to turn off the assists as much as possible.

I'm personaly excited.....the new car is rated at 480 up...................................................Unicorn power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is going to be amazing.:cool:

Those who get all upset and bent out of shape about rumors and speculations should just be glad that a new NSX is even here. I mean they scrapped the project at one point and if you don't like it when it comes out just don't buy one.

Any other changes will be handled by the aftermarket vendors out there to accomplish whatever you want. Performance, handling, and esthetics. Just browsing through the awesome photoshops that are here on Prime, it's going to look awesome!

Just the fact that Honda is making the NSX and that in time I will be able to purchase a used one makes me excited enough. $0.02¢

Those who get all upset and bent out of shape about rumors and speculations should just be glad that a new NSX is even here. I mean they scrapped the project at one point and if you don't like it when it comes out just don't buy one.

Any other changes will be handled by the aftermarket vendors out there to accomplish whatever you want. Performance, handling, and esthetics. Just browsing through the awesome photoshops that are here on Prime, it's going to look awesome!

Just the fact that Honda is making the NSX and that in time I will be able to purchase a used one makes me excited enough. $0.02¢

LOL Your new here so you have to understand these guys have been b*tching for so long about first no real updates , then no new model , then that replacement would be FMR V10 instead of MR that even though it's now MR again they've been b*tching for so long they can't stop:biggrin:

LOL Your new here so you have to understand these guys have been b*tching for so long about first no real updates , then no new model , then that replacement would be FMR V10 instead of MR that even though it's now MR again they've been b*tching for so long they can't stop:biggrin:

The other name of this site is NSXWhine.:biggrin:

Back