• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Engine Revealed

Well I was wrong. It's turbo. My dreams and hopes of high rev are probably dashed as well. Have to wait for further specs but it's like Honda is just saying "me too". How weak is the engine that it needs hybrid and turbo to compete. If it's not rated with at least 600hp with all that then they really failed. Special engine?? Not an Accord engine. Heck the Accord engine in the RLX is rated at 310hp. If the "Special" engine is a 3.5 and doesn't make 120-130hp per liter w/o boost then it's only special feature is it's not an Accord engine.

Seriously f*ck the bullsh*t Honda might as well as went V8. This different V6 is not part of the ED line up and since it's twin turbo it's a break from previous NSX tradition so for the extra expense wouldn't a V8 have been better for reliability/durability?? Perhaps it made no sense as the market is downsizing to smaller engines.

I'm happy for the FI guys but this comes out as a fail to me. Old Honda is gone as there really isn't anything unique anymore and no engineering breakthrough just "Me too". Ok rant over

Last edited:
I was right! But longitudinal is not good for an engine swap into the current NSX.

Wonder if the turbos will be variable geometry?

Well I was wrong. It's turbo. My dreams and hopes of high rev are probably dashed as well. Have to wait for further specs but it's like Honda is just saying "me too". How weak is the engine that it needs hybrid and turbo to compete. If it's not rated with at least 600hp with all that then they really failed. Special engine?? Not an Accord engine. Heck the Accord engine in the RLX is rated at 310hp. If the "Special" engine is a 3.5 and doesn't make 120-130hp per liter w/o boost then it's only special feature is it's not an Accord engine.

Seriously f*ck the bullsh*t Honda might as well as went V8. This different V6 is not part of the ED line up and since it's twin turbo it's a break from previous NSX tradition so for the extra expense wouldn't a V8 have been better for reliability/durability?? Perhaps it made no sense as the market is downsizing to smaller engines.

I'm happy for the FI guys but this comes out as a fail to me. Old Honda is gone as there really isn't anything unique anymore and no engineering breakthrough just "Me too". Ok rant over

Have you thought the reason it would make sense to have a longitudinal turbo V6 is because it would have an engine similar to 2015 turbo V6 that is suppose to be used in F1 from now on. I think people would love to know that the turbo V6 in their NSX is derived form the same tech as the Honda F1 turbo V6. What a coincident that these two engines were most likely being developed at the same time considering the time frame of their respective debuts ;).

Nspec you must be happy your design change of a longer rear end sounds to be coming true.

Last edited:
I would rather have the performance than trunk space of course. Kinda like people not buying our cars due to no cup holder...I was just looking at how high the transmission is sitting in the picture on the floor, it looks limited like what we have now.

I think regardless of numbers it's going to be fast. I can't wait to drive one.

Faith in Honda has been restored!! Now, let's just hope this car is, as good, or better than the GTR in regards to lap times

Normally, I wouldn't be "that guy" on the internet, this forum in particular........but I called this a mile away: Formula 1 announces V6TT engine formula --> Honda announces partnership with McLaren to return to F1 --> Honda/Acura non-committal with drivetrain details of new super sportscar --> Ted says new NSX will compete with 458 on the top end without adding any details. You really only have two options: A ridiculously high-strung/high rpm V6....(good luck engineering that to last like a Honda and do it on a budget that will allow you to price with Audi/Porsche)....or boost.

:) [/thatguy][/rightontheinternet]

Wonder how they will counter the weight hanging behind the rear axles?

Maybe the front electric motors.

Take the Gallardo as a case-study: 57% rear 43% front. That's 1% more towards the front than the "old" NSX and it has the a good section of transmission/diff behind the rear axle (handling hasn't suffered there either).

Also, I'm with most folks who are considering the 2200lbs a typo until proven otherwise. 3200 would still be an impressive feat with all the safety gear and motors and such.

That said, Recall the Sesto Elemento and all of it's forged carbon shenanigans.....(once again probably out due to budget though).

1470140_10151834784461312_200206924_n.jpg

I saw this this morning and it made my day. Does anyone else feel the same as me and just want to touch this thing?! I am very surprised that the longitudinal setup won out. Any thoughts I had of picking up a R8 are simply gone now.

I WANT THIS!

The engine is going to be fairly low w/i the body. The intercoolers will still have to be fitted on top. In addition to all of this win, it'll be dry sump too with a total targeted weight of 2200lbs. I've heard that it was going to be light but I never in a million years thought 2200lbs. I thought below the 3k mark since every car is getting heavier and heavier.

And from what "little birdies" have indicated, there's an "R" version too.

2200 lbs. is surely a misprint
A bare F1 car is about 1000 lbs. and with ballast 1415 lbs.
Just can't conceive of a street ready car at 2200 lbs.

The gas engine at say 3.5 l and turbo compression ratio might have a 110 hp/l base of 385 hp and with boost perhaps 150 hp/l for a total of 525.
Add electric boost and we should be over 600 hp.
3200 lbs., 600 hp, 5.3 lbs. per hp.
Perfect!

2,200lbs is ridiculous to even suggest. A GT3 is nearly 1,000lbs heavier than that. Anything <3,300 is flat out remarkable, the competition can't do that with an additional 100k+ budget for exotic materials.

Looking forward to more stats on the engine as well as its efficiency since that was a stated goal and apparently part of the car's appeal.

Last edited:

Harsh words.

Honda has chosen a tried and true mid engine layout.
And an all new 90 degree engine with integrated electric engine DCT transaxle.
That's looks like a technological marvel to me

Why would you say its not high-revving?
We don't know the bore/stroke yet?

How can you expect a lower compression turbo engine to make the same hp per liter as a high compression NA engine like Ferrari and Porsche?

I would be happy with 3,000 lbs -- but I really want the same size trunk in there.

I would rather have the performance than trunk space of course. Kinda like people not buying our cars due to no cup holder...I was just looking at how high the transmission is sitting in the picture on the floor, it looks limited like what we have now.

+1, it does not look like it has a dry sump even looking from 3/4 view way up high. Or may it has a psuedo-dry sump like the Vette.

The engine is going to be fairly low w/i the body. The intercoolers will still have to be fitted on top. In addition to all of this win, it'll be dry sump too with a total targeted weight of 2200lbs. I've heard that it was going to be light but I never in a million years thought 2200lbs. I thought below the 3k mark since every car is getting heavier and heavier.

I maybe wrong, It doesn't look like the bottom of the gearbox is in the same plane as the oil pan thus my doubt of a dry sump:-(..... a lower CoG would be great to counter the extra weight behind the rear axle. Longitudinal is the proper layout which allows a real rear diffuser than our car and with a moveable wing, it should l have good DF numbers. A small truck space in the front is a good trade off.

With a twin turbo V8 like the McLaren, you would not need heavy green stuff in the front but green is in. McLaren has a carbon tub @2600lbs+ w/o battery so 3200lbs.+ is more likely. From the outside, DI, DCT is the only higher tech stuff that I can see. If the turbo housings were made from mag. like the Indy cars, instead of cast, that would be trick and save quite a bit of weight but not anything new. Most likely it will not be a screamer and I am bummed with no flatcrank sound.

Turbo makes sense.

The layout makes sense.

The 2200lb curb weight. GOTTA BE A TYPO!

+1

Also, I wouldn't worry about rev limits. Ferrari and Porsche build turbos with 8000-9000 limit, so Honda can do it too. It's all in the tuning and turbo design. NSX does not need early spool, low rpm boost because of the electric motors. This gives them freedom to tune the turbos for high-rpm power delivery. ECU will ensure smooth motor-to-boost transition. It should be seamless. Driving experience is a big part of this car, just like the original, so I do not think Honda will deliver a 6,000 rpm clunker.

I saw this this morning and it made my day. Does anyone else feel the same as me and just want to touch this thing?! I am very surprised that the longitudinal setup won out. Any thoughts I had of picking up a R8 are simply gone now.

I WANT THIS!

Yep, I think it's gorgeous. I've love to see it in person and climb all over/under it.

Since it appears to be an all-new motor... is there any indication that it'll be a sub-3.0 liter, high rpm, high boost engine?

How about letting people put down a deposit already !!:wink:
You can do it if you want. It's up to your dealer whether or not to accept a deposit. I put a deposit with a dealer on an NSX in 1986, even though the car was clearly years away.

That is a HUGE tranny
Actually, the trans looks small. I believe that's the 3rd electric motor hanging off the ass end.

- - - Updated - - -

The more I look at this... the more I realize this is a bespoke NSX drivetrain. Honda is throwing chunks of $$$$ at this thing. Glad to see them take a gamble once again!

- - - Updated - - -

Also if Klaus is right.. and the NSX is to be a continuously improved upon platform then it will be interesting what they incorporate into future NSXs from lesson's learned racing in F1.

exciting stuff

Back