• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Engine Revealed

Now this is getting interesting.... if only they could hire a stylist.........

Last edited:
Do you guys think the new NSX about to change the game again in the super car world? I know it not out yet. But what if it delivers? Let's say it is 130k and is "faster" than the 458 Italia which is alot more expensive.

Harsh words.

Honda has chosen a tried and true mid engine layout.
And an all new 90 degree engine with integrated electric engine DCT transaxle.
That's looks like a technological marvel to me

Why would you say its not high-revving?
We don't know the bore/stroke yet?

How can you expect a lower compression turbo engine to make the same hp per liter as a high compression NA engine like Ferrari and Porsche?

Sorry I've just lost all interest in it as going turbo just took all the heavy lifting out. I still like the hybrid idea. If it comes to light that it does rev 8k+ I'll be interested again.

How can I expect?? I don't anymore. While it wasn't confirmed turbo there was hope. Soon as I saw turbo it became 'Yeah old Honda really is dead and this is just a mid engine GTR" Not a bad thing as GTR is a phenominal performer but I was still drinking the kool aid that Honda had enough technical prowess to use the hybrid system to match Ferrari w/o boost. Those days are dead as is old Honda.

I'll keep my mouth shut and go to Porsche as apparently they still like to build great engines.

Long-mounted engine...... I can already see the threads in 5 years where people rip out the hyrbid system (for weight reduction) and install LSx.....
+! I was talking to a buddy about that last night. First thing he said was sweet I can get an LS in there

I'm with you Perry. I've been quiet as I'm still digesting this news. Here's what I have to add.

Let's not forget that when RLX concept was discussed in 2012, it was positioned with the hybrid, then the car without Hybrid came out first.

On that note, it is possible they will make a NA variant with RWD. It is an unique engine. i doubt they would piss it away on only one variant especially when they can reach a broader market with a cheaper NSX sporting less weight.

Well I was wrong. It's turbo. My dreams and hopes of high rev are probably dashed as well. Have to wait for further specs but it's like Honda is just saying "me too". How weak is the engine that it needs hybrid and turbo to compete. If it's not rated with at least 600hp with all that then they really failed. Special engine?? Not an Accord engine. Heck the Accord engine in the RLX is rated at 310hp. If the "Special" engine is a 3.5 and doesn't make 120-130hp per liter w/o boost then it's only special feature is it's not an Accord engine.

Seriously f*ck the bullsh*t Honda might as well as went V8. This different V6 is not part of the ED line up and since it's twin turbo it's a break from previous NSX tradition so for the extra expense wouldn't a V8 have been better for reliability/durability?? Perhaps it made no sense as the market is downsizing to smaller engines.

I'm happy for the FI guys but this comes out as a fail to me. Old Honda is gone as there really isn't anything unique anymore and no engineering breakthrough just "Me too". Ok rant over

+! I was talking to a buddy about that last night. First thing he said was sweet I can get an LS in there

I submit my conspiracy theory that the Long engine position was done on purpose for that in mind.

Heck, u can even consider the Ford 5.0 Coyote engine (which basically has VTEC now that the patent has expired) for a swap....

On that note, it is possible they will make a NA variant with RWD. It is an unique engine. i doubt they would piss it away on only one variant especially when they can reach a broader market with a cheaper NSX sporting less weight.

Who knows with new "me too" Honda but that's doubtful. I'm sure the S2K replacement will turbo as well. Ok back to shutting up:biggrin:

Sigh... all the haters...

I am thrilled about this news.

Last time around, the NSX was about bringing Honda's F1 technology to the street. This time should be no different, and news flash, F1 motors are turbo now.

And, they actually LEARNED this time that you can build the most involving satisfying car in the world and people will still ding you for numbers. So they have found a way to play with the big boys as far as power goes.

I am convinced Honda can squeeze as much power out of a TT 3.7L V6 in 2015 as McLaren did with a TT 3.8L V8 in 2008.

So we kept the good (F1 tech for the street) and improved on the bad (journalists and whiners looking at numbers instead of overall driving experience).

And once again, the NSX will represent modern technology, performance out of its price class, and amazing long term value.

Last time around, the NSX was about bringing Honda's F1 technology to the street. This time should be no different, and news flash, F1 motors are turbo now.

And, they actually LEARNED this time that you can build the most involving satisfying car in the world and people will still ding you for numbers. So they have found a way to play with the big boys as far as power goes.

I am convinced Honda can squeeze as much power out of a TT 3.7L V6 in 2015 as McLaren did with a TT 3.8L V8 in 2008.

So we kept the good (F1 tech for the street) and improved on the bad (journalists and whiners looking at numbers instead of overall driving experience).

And once again, the NSX will represent modern technology, performance out of its price class, and amazing long term value.

Agreed

Do you guys think the new NSX about to change the game again in the super car world? I know it not out yet. But what if it delivers? Let's say it is 130k and is "faster" than the 458 Italia which is alot more expensive.

I think the bar is much higher than b 4 and to do it for $130k, its quite difficult.The green stuff is heavy and $$$$. For one thing, the new chassis is alum which is what we have now so there is nothing there to brag about and thats why you don't hear much about. Can't do carbon for $130k. Many here have twin turbo with mega hp so besides being DI and DCT....well, how about carbon brakes? not gonna happen.

Lets just say I am glad finally, after all these years, a new NSX is REALLY coming out to meet the world. I have full confidence Honda can tune the engine to produce mega hp like the GTR. Thats the least of my concern. You have lots of mapping configurations for turbo.

I am more impressed about the HSV-V10 than this "F1 derived V6" which we all have today. The HSV shows what Honda can do. If they did not come out with the HSV, then we know they are not playing dead. So its not so much we take hits on the new NSX but we are all looking from the outside and guessing what is going to be. We can only comment on what we see and I want Honda to surprise the world again.

The Long is more right way than the Trans but thats not high tech. Its the way mid engine sports car should be.(nice to have a trunk of course) My guess is the car is going to be plush like the Porsche GT3.
I drove a nicely built NSX SC track car this wkend and that car is much more involving, rewarding and satisfying than my car but some would think my car is too bare w/no AC.

If we strip out the hybrid system, we'll have a lighter weight, F1 derived twin turbo V6 w/ DCT and full under-tray complete with aero and dry sump......with an alum chassis and good suspension, that sound pretty good for a sports car for around $100k.

Who knows with new "me too" Honda but that's doubtful. I'm sure the S2K replacement will turbo as well. Ok back to shutting up:biggrin:

What don't you like about the FI direction? Or are you just a fan of NA? I mean, Going forward when fuel mileage and earth dreams are going to be super important in the world this is the best option in my opinion. The Twins coupled with Hybrid tech should deliver both a fun, fast car and one that doesn't kill the environment. I can tell you as long as Honda can do this then the the cars will get better and better. Both performance and environmentally friendly. It's just what the future is heading towards. No other way to word it.

I submit my conspiracy theory that the Long engine position was done on purpose for that in mind.

Heck, u can even consider the Ford 5.0 Coyote engine (which basically has VTEC now that the patent has expired) for a swap....
The 5.0 has only 1 standard design can lobe. Not the twin lobe of the VTEC design. It has variable can timing like BMWs VANOS.

The drivetrain looks cool.

The 5.0 has only 1 standard design can lobe. Not the twin lobe of the VTEC design. It has variable can timing like BMWs VANOS.

The drivetrain looks cool.

well, at least the design is more current of cloverleaf than the NASCAR:tongue:, chop-stick, dog leg LSX....not that is there anything wrong with that wanting mega tork off the line.

the drivetrain has nice ribs all over.....:smile:

Last edited:
Is it possible that 2,200 lbs. meant as pictured? Ha!!

Looking Forward To It!!!

Wow! So looking forward to seeing the real deal and the stats / data!

A bit amazed at all of the Whining going on around here. Just glad that
they have kept the NSX Alive and have revamped NSX Interests around
the World! I remember for years just the rumor of a New NSX Design was
enough to make most happy! Nice thought ... TWIN TURBO's! Oh, it's
really going to Happen! Sweet!

Funny, maybe to some they'd prefer not having this at all, then they
would not have to whine! Amazing!! Get passed it... It will arrive then
you can complain. Until then .... don't lose any sleep... LOL!

I think HONDA will do just fine with the New NSX!

Anyone actually thought that this drivetrain is for the R version and not the regular version? TT R version and NA regular version. That would probably satisfy everyone and stop all the whining.

Boy this car business is tough.

You put your best engineers, best designers, and best forward thinkers on a new halo car project.
You spend a billion dollars and millions of man hours putting it all together.
The performance, the reliability, the corporate environmental goals all being met
Every little curve, dimple, rib, nut and bolt designed and engineered from scratch.
Then you put forward the results of what your best people have developed.

And then some can only find fault with all the work those hundreds (thousands?) of employees, managers, and executives have put out.

I'm absolutely thrilled with what Honda has done so far.
What a stunning hybrid drive train. It's like jewelry. I'd put it in my living room as furniture.
And I know it will be powerful, reliable, energy efficient.
Wow, great progress.

But also wow what a tough business

Pagani did everything with a shoe string budget and designed a car that has more sex appeal that anything from Japan and America.

Didn't cost them billions....

True but they use someone's else's drivetrain and that's the big expense.

Pagani did everything with a shoe string budget and designed a car that has more sex appeal that anything from Japan and America.

Didn't cost them billions....
But that's a car that probably can't be driven with the reliability of an NSX. Not to mention that car is roughly $1M so their costs are recouped. What about if something breaks, you can't just to go your local Acura dealer for a replacement part.

There's no comparison here in my opinion.

They've done it before, I am crossing my fingers hoping they do it again. I was sort of "ho-humm" about the new NSX until yesterday when I saw this revealed. This opens a whole new world of tuning and performance possibilities!

Back