• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Red to White NSX-R conversion

my guess it to prevent the original color from bleed through; but is that necessary since the car has been fully primed?

that front bumper looks to have perfect fitment imo.

Ok guys I am no painter so maybe you guys with some paint under your belt can explain why you paint the whole car black first when changing from another color.

Last edited:
It's more than likely a primer/sealer and is used so the entire car is uniform/a single color before laying down a base coat. If they were to spray the white directly over the red/primer spots there's a good chance the base coat would not lay down uniform and the paint will come out blotchy etc. It also "seals" any old bodywork etc so that the basecoat will not lift or react where specific work was done.

thats why I dont paint LOL

it going to be so cool to finish this car the owner is like a little kid at Christmas LOL

should have the car back this week.

Ok guys I am no painter so maybe you guys with some paint under your belt can explain why you paint the whole car black first when changing from another color.

Why not ask the shop that you are brokering to do the work? Get their reason why. :wink:

this pic does it no justice. this thing looks amazing

its NH603-P pearl the sunlight make this thing glow.

oh my..

photo_014_sized.jpg

pbassjo yes that Extreme's paint booth. check their site out for more pics and of the some of owners personal cars.
http://www.extrememotorcar.com/collection

I think it needs a few more coats they paint it then sand it down then paint it then sand it down I guess to remove any and all orange peel.

myw No the owner doesnt want it black he wants everything white.
even the front lower lip we tried to talk him out of it but that what he wants.

Last edited:
I prefer all white too, especially in the pearl color. But not the front lip bc painting add on pieces body color doesn't look good to me. Plus it needs to be a replaceable part that you can just consume.

I prefer all white too, especially in the pearl color. But not the front lip bc painting add on pieces body color doesn't look good to me. Plus it needs to be a replaceable part that you can just consume.

What about jp aero lip (in black) or cf downforce front lip (unpainted left in cf).

I've seen some body colored oem front lips and it looks good but for done reason in championship white I think may look kinda of odd.

Last edited:
Agreed. Painted front lip just doesn't look right on the NSX. The wing west lip is the exception though. It looks better painted with body color.

What about jp aero lip (in black) or cf downforce front lip (unpainted left in cf).

I've seen some body colored oem front lips and it looks good but for done reason in championship white I think may look kinda of odd.

Stormrider has a df lip painted white if you want to see what it looks like. Not bad but the opening belie the true size of that bumper and you can always tell that it's oem with an add on no matter what you do. It would look much better if the openings could be enlarged at the bottom with the same style bumper. Everyone who enlarges the opening on their design changes their style/shape so it looks aftermarket.

Last edited:
When I paint cars, I never paint with doors, bumper, hood, trunk, etc on the car. Then I paint all the other parts separately.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 9.45.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 9.45.17 AM.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,264
well I think its easier when your sanding it to have NO orange peel
to have them on the car.
off the car there will prob be some minor orange peel but I am no painter LOL

But I agree most people take them off the car and paint seperate

well I think its easier when your sanding it to have NO orange peel
to have them on the car.
off the car there will prob be some minor orange peel but I am no painter LOL

But I agree most people take them off the car and paint seperate

The reason I believe this particular car is being sprayed with the parts bolted on is that white pearls can be VERY hard to spray and get the pearls right if panels are not all installed and the flow of paint/mixture is EXACT. (Typically White pearls can look brown/flip flop horrible in the sun)

Many cadillac and other OEM cars that have had white pearl panels replaced have serious issues with this.

Although I would have sprayed this car with the front bumper off on a rack nearby, and the 02+ door pieces off as well. Just make sure it was all sprayed at once. The problem with spraying with the front bumper on is base/clear material will build up in the edge between the bumper/fender and lead to possible issues down the road.

After a car is edged in though, bolting the hood/doors/quarter panels on and spraying as one is not a bad idea at all if all masking is done properly. (It also reduces the risk of scratching or chipping parts when it's put back together.... AND make the pearls and metallics come out more uniform when sprayed. Bumper/sideskirts and others should be typically sprayed off though.

The reason I believe this particular car is being sprayed with the parts bolted on is that white pearls can be VERY hard to spray and get the pearls right if panels are not all installed and the flow of paint/mixture is EXACT. (Typically White pearls can look brown/flip flop horrible in the sun)

Many cadillac and other OEM cars that have had white pearl panels replaced have serious issues with this.

Although I would have sprayed this car with the front bumper off on a rack nearby, and the 02+ door pieces off as well. Just make sure it was all sprayed at once. The problem with spraying with the front bumper on is base/clear material will build up in
the edge between the bumper/fender and lead to possible issues down the road.

After a car is edged in though, bolting the hood/doors/quarter panels on and spraying as one is not a bad idea at all if all masking is done properly. (It also reduces the risk of scratching or chipping parts when it's put back together.... AND make the pearls and metallics come out more uniform when sprayed. Bumper/sideskirts and others should be typically sprayed off though.

Yes sir. This is how I sprayed my car.

Ok I have her at my shop now.

now the fun begins.

lots to do so stay tuned.

I got to stare at her in the sunlight for like 45 minutes looking for flaws

not one flaw I could find.

wait till the owner see it in the sunlight

Back