• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX owners, what are you views on the Audi v10 R8?

Besides the obvious price difference and massive gain in horsepower, I wanted to hear some pros / cons of moving to the R8 in the future?

Granted in the $160k price range there are a lot of cars you can buy pre-owned, nothing really draws my interest like the v10 R8. I drove it a few weeks ago and it's done nothing but increae my fascination for the power and looks of this new car. Audi has dramatically facelifted the v10 body to truly make this car unique from the v8 model with LED headlights, new front/rear valences and wider fenders / scoops.

My original plan was to keep my NSX til perhaps end of next year before pulling the trigger since the NSX seems to hold it's value better than most exotics. I'm not ready to spend $160k now since I may be going back to school. Should I wait for the v10 R8 to depreciate into the $130k range perhaps and hold onto the NSX?

So NSX vs R8, what are your thoughts? Is the v10 R8 a good candidate or would you guys consider something else? My other choice was perhaps a 360Stradale...

rick

I recently got to drive the V8 R8, and I absolutely love that car. In fact, after that day, I kind of regret buying the NSX. I am sure the V10 is even better, although I am not sure it is worth the extra cost over the V8.

My only concern is long-term reliability.

My view is that if you are lucky enough to afford the V10 R8, then by all means go for it. It may be more financially prudent to get a used one in a couple of years, but supercars really aren't about prudence.

Are you kidding? Pros/cons between a $160k car vs. a $50k car? The only con of the R8 would be cost.

Ask your question on an R8 forum :biggrin:

I was hoping to get a GTR soon but now have plans to find the cheapest used V8 R8 I can, then turbocharge it and do some exterior mods. Unfortunately, they've been holding their value very well so it will probably be end of next year.

Dave

How do I feel about the V8 or V10?
BOING :biggrin:

Anything in that 125k plus range you have a ton of options. The R8 even with a V10 would be my last one though..

F430- a super clean one is easily had at this price now
360 stradale- my personal favorite, total race car out the box.
Gallardo- 06 and up means a better car, possible Superlegerra
Aston Martin- tons of choices here..and so on..

Rick I've driven the R8 (my 91 NSX was featured with the new R8) and its simply an amazing car. I drove the DSG version and loved it. If I could afford one it would be in my garage...:smile:

The R8 is amazing in either V8 or V10. The NSX is fairly exclusive but I have yet to see a R8 on the streets here in St. Louis. You could buy 2 fairly new, well modified, low mileage NSX's for that $$$. But, you still wouldn't have an R8 :rolleyes:.

Man, I must be doing something wrong here. A student can afford a R8 V10 nowadays?
**envy**:biggrin:

EDIT: For the money I'd get a F360 CS.

Last edited:
Certain angles the R8 looks nice.

But I just don't like rear mid-engine cars that don't emphasize a longer ass like the NSX, S7, Zonda.

Ferrari's entry level cars are guilty of that. Same with the Gallardo. Engine in the back and no ass to prove it, so they through a glass on top to answer any doubts.

audi-r8-fire.jpg

I am envious of Audi R8 owners, even the v8 powered ones. That in my opinion is the true successor to the nsx.

Man, I must be doing something wrong here. A student can afford a R8 V10 nowadays?

I thought the same,but on his info page he does claim to own an automotive enhancement business,so theoreticly his cars may be bought on the business,for work related R&D:wink:

I am waiting for the prices to come down on the V10. I will probably sell one of my Supras to get it as well.

I just finished browsing a few pics of the R8. I still can't get over the bubbleness of the car's design. Its like a stretched TT to me.

The more I look at other cars, the more the NSX seems to be a good value for the money. Looks, performance, exclusivity, craftmanship, reliability. Its all there in a very affordable package.

I just finished browsing a few pics of the R8. I still can't get over the bubbleness of the car's design. Its like a stretched TT to me.

The more I look at other cars, the more the NSX seems to be a good value for the money. Looks, performance, exclusivity, craftmanship, reliability. Its all there in a very affordable package.

once again we agree:cool:

nAH...pictures don't do the R8 justice. You need to see them on the road like I do daily here in Dubai. Its one sweet car.

The R8 looks like an awesome car. Very appealing visually and I'm sure a blast to drive.

I don't know how 'exclusive' they are as of now, but in all my time on the road, I've only seen 1.

it was perty :tongue:

I would much rather have a Gallardo. Why pay more money for the "baby" version of the real car? I'm convinced that once the hype of the r8 wears off the price is gonna drop like a rock. I wouldn't really want to own one during that time. The Gallardo has already had time to depreciate.

I admit I never really liked the style of the R8 either.

Oyagi: I'm no young undergrad ya know, I'm talking about GRAD school and PhD here! :tongue: Wish I was still in college and poor actually....haha

PDLNSX: Are you talking about a 5-finger discount, how the heck for $130 on a v10????

5inchfatlip: Yes I agree there are so many choices in this depreciating economy. I paid close to $140k new for my 08 GT3 about a 1.5 years ago and it would never command that price anymore!

BATMAN: thanks for those enligtening pics, WOW! :eek:

I've driven the v8 model many times and it does have the bloated look of an Audi TT but the v10 model is dramtically more aggresive and no longer looks like a TT on steroids! The v10 drives like a true exotic and frankly I would buy it over the Gallardo anyday.

My buddy has a Stradale and ever since he let me drive it, I've been addicted! Ferrari made such a raw sexy car it's hard to beat it even with the modern F-cars.

thanks for all the comments, this is just "thoughts" in my head right now as I love my NSX and will have to do a lot more thinking over Turkey tonight :)

Happy Thanksgiving nsxprime!

rick

I don't see any stitching in the dash of the R8.

interior21.jpg

There's all this unneeded "businest" in the interior. NSX interior layout and shape is still the standard.

And yes, the stitching too.

i love the R8. if you look closely at the pic, there is stitching on the dash. on the cluster, and also by the airbag

Driving on the street I don't see how a R8 V8 would not be more than enough power.

Where I live there are so many Police cars with moving radar. Even with the best detector they'll have you becasue the range is turned down and if you see the Police car it already has you.

The stock 270 hp NA1 NSX is, IMO, overpowered for the street.

So NSX vs R8, what are your thoughts? Is the v10 R8 a good candidate or would you guys consider something else? My other choice was perhaps a 360Stradale...
rick

Who cares what other people think. Choosing a car is a very personal experience. Why let your decision be influenced by others? Are you a Democrat?
My opinion is that the R8 is an overpriced GSB. (German Shit Box) If you get the silly Italian car make sure there is a fire extinguisher in the cockpit.

nAH...pictures don't do the R8 justice.

Agreed. You gotta see an R8 IRL before making a judgment. For some reason, it just doesn't take a good picture -- but in the metal it looks awesome.

And +1 for the exclusivity. I see way more Ferraris and Lambos around than R8. Indeed, I've only ever seen three on the road, and one was for the magazine shoot I participated in.

Back